Xiamen Weather, Temperature & Climate: Best Time to Visit Xiamen, China 2023
Xiamen, an important central city, port and tourist city along the southeast coast of China. With a subtropical monsoon climate, Xiamen is mild and pleasant most of the year. The annual temperature is around 21 °C. Most precipitation is from May to August for 4 months, accounting for more than 50% of annual precipitation. Under the influence of the temperature difference and air flow of the Pacific, Xiamen would suffer 4~5 typhoons on average every year, and most of them are concentrated from July to September.
Check details information below about Xiamen climate, weather forecast, best time to visit, average temperature by months and things to do in four different seasons to plan your Xiamen tour in 2023.
Best Time to Visit Xiamen, China
Being praised as the “Garden on Sea”, Xiamen is full of flowers and trees are lush and green all year round. In general, spring and autumn are the best seasons for travelling around Xiamen. Visitors may enjoy visiting spaceship-like UNESCO World Heritage - Hakka Tulou, hiking on Gulangyu Island, cycling on Huandao Road... From July to August in summer every year, Xiamen will be affected by typhoons from time to time. All the ships at the seaside are closed. So if you choose to come to Xiamen during these months, be sure to look at the current weather forecast in advance and try to stagger the typhoon days. Xiamen also has a relatively warm winter, with an average temperature of 13.3 °C and more sunny days, which makes the city one of the most popular warm destinations for traveling to China in winter.
Top Recommended Xiamen Tour
Best Time to Visit Fujian Tulou in Nanjing & Yongding
There is no intense heat in summer and no extreme cold in winter in Nanjing and Yongding, therefore both places are suitable to visit all year around. Spring and autumn are always being considered as the best time to visit splendid the Tulou Clusters. During that time, the mountains and plains were covered with flowers, trees were lush and verdant, and the terrace fields layer after layer surrounded idyllic villages, reflecting with primitive but ingenious earth buildings, shows the beauty of a combination of hardness and softness. If you want to meet fireflies in Nanjing, you should go there from mid-May to mid-July.
More detailed information about Fujian Tulou weather, please visit Fujian Tulou Weather & Season, Best time to visit >>
Best Time to Visit Gulangyu Island, Xiamen
Gulangyu Island is a subtropical maritime monsoon climate. With abundant sunlight and excellent heat condition and plenty of rainfall, Gulangyu Island is suitable to visit all year around. Flowers and trees flourish all year round, spring and autumn are the best seasons for travel. However, if you prefer a more quiet and less crowded tour, winter is the off tourist-season for visiting Gulangyu. However, in the typhoon season in August, ferries might be shut down.
More details about Gulangyu Island, please visit Gulangyu Island Travel Guide 2023 >>
Average Xiamen Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Xiamen Seasons to Go
Like most places in China, there are four seasons in Xiamen. Spring (from March to May) and Autumn (from September to November) are the top seasons to tour around Xiamen City. With moderate temperatures and fewer tourists, winter (from December to next February) is also a good time to travel around, especially for those who are on budget and prefer quiet travel experiences. From June to August it is summer in Xiamen, also the typhoon season. If you are planning to visit during this time, please pay great attention to the current weather forecast.
Xiamen Spring (March to May)
Spring is from March to May. The average temperature is 15°C - 23°C. The average monthly humidity in spring is about 83%. Rainfall reaches the highest in May, with an average precipitation of about 162mm. Average precipitation in March and April is 125mm and 157mm separately.
Spring is the golden time to visit Xiamen. During this season, the city of Xiamen has gentle and lovely sunshine, amenity sea breeze, verdant hills and green waters, forming an attractive and dazzling natural beauty.
What to Wear in Xiamen Spring
Wearing a light sweater and long sleeves and pants is enough. Spring rain is often followed by a drop in temperature, so a windproof coat is necessary.
Recommended Xiamen Spring Activities
1. Take a ferry to Gulangyu Island and immerse yourself in hundreds and thousands of international architecture.
2. Appreciate varied shapes of UNSECO World Heritage - Fujian Tulou by visiting Nanjing and Yongding County.
3. Ride a bike around Huandao Road and enjoy the astonishing sunset at the famous Xiamen Beaches.
4. Climb on the top of Wulao Mountain, have a panoramic view of Xiamen Island and overlook Gulangyu Island in a distance.
5. Play golf at exquisite golf courses designed by world-class golf masters.
Hot Xiamen Spring Tour:
Play Golf in Spring
Xiamen Weather in March
Xiamen Weather in April
Xiamen Weather in May
Xiamen Autumn (September to November)
Autumn in Xiamen usually starts from September to November. The average temperature in September is still high, about 26°C, then falls from 23°C in October to 19°C in November. Days of rainfall are less during autumn, especially in October (3 days) and November (4 days), which means there will be more crispy sunny days. Total precipitation during these three months is about 208mm, most rainfall occurs in September, with average monthly rainfall of 141mm.
Autumn is another best time to visit Xiamen. With less rainfall, the sky is clear, bright and high. It is the perfect time for climbing, hiking and cycling.
What to Wear in Xiamen Autumn
T-shirts, thin sweaters, long pants and light jackets or coats are the best choices. And do remember to bring your umbrella and sun protection like sunglasses and sun cream with you.
Recommended Xiamen Autumn Activities
1. Appreciate diverse Fujian Tulou, like “Four Dishes and One Soup” Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster, “Tulou Great Wall” Nanxi Tulou Cluster, “King of Earth Building” Chengqi Tower, etc. and learn more about the building structure and Hakka Culture by touring inside.
2. Climb to the highest point of Sunlight Rock on Gulangyu Island and overlook roofs with different architectural styles from all nations.
3. Visit the last and largest old local market - the Eighth Seafood Market in Xiamen, then wander around Zhongshan Road and fill your stomach with delicious Minnan cuisine and snacks with Guzao Flavour.
4. Wander around the Most Beautiful University in China - Xiamen University and enjoy typical Xiamen school buildings which combine both Chinese and Western Style.
5. Cycle around Huandao Road, pay a visit to the hsitorical military site - Hulishan Fortress and treat yourself with the freshest seafood at Zeng Cuo An Art Zones.
Hot Xiamen Autumn Tour:
Cycling around Huandao Road
Overlook from Sunlight Rock
Xiamen Weather in September
Xiamen Weather in October
Xiamen Weather in November
Xiamen Winter (December to next February)
There is no severe cold in winter in Xiamen. The average high temperature during daytime can reach 20°C in December, and about 17°C in January and February. The lowest temperature during three months in winter is also seldom lower than 10°C, often between 10°C -12°C. The average monthly precipitation touches the bottom in December, with only 28mm. The average rainfall in January is about 34mm and almost tripled in February to 99mm.
Winter is the off tourist season in Xiamen, which means hotel prices, attractions tickets and flight tickets might be lower than usual (except during Chinese New Year). Also, it there will be less crowded compared with spring and autumn. For tourists who are on budget and prefer a quiet travel experience, it is recommended to visit Xiamen in winter.
What to Wear in Xiamen Winter
Warm sweaters and jeans and thin overcoats are recommended during the daytime. However, if you would like a walk along beaches in Xiamen, you are suggested to wear thick coats, scarfs and gloves.
Recommended Xiamen Winter Activities
1. Take a ferry to Gulangyu Island, find an exquisite coffee shop to spend a relaxing afternoon and stay one night in the converted dwelling houses on the island.
2. Appreciate typical school buildings combine Chinese and Western styles at Jimei School Village.
3. Relax and spend a wonderful family vacation at Riyuegu Hot Spring Resort.
4. Participate Xiamen International Marathon at Huandao Road on the first Sunday of January every year.
5. Pay a visit to the starting point of Maritime Silk Road - Quanzhou and wander around the patchwork - Quanzhou West Street to appreciate different religious, culture, architecture and historical sites stitched together.
Hot Xiamen Winter Tour
Jiageng Style Buildings in Jimei School Village
Hot Spring in Riyuegu Resort
Xiamen Weather in December
Xiamen Weather in January
Xiamen Weather in February
Xiamen Summer (June to August)
Summer is from June to August with an average temperature of 27 °C. The hottest month of Xiamen also comes in this season - August with an average temperature of about 32℃. The average humidity is the highest in June, about 85 %. The total precipitation of three months in summer is about 530mm. The average monthly rainfall in August is above 200mm. With more precipitation, the air quality is best in summer
Summer is the typhoon season in Xiamen. There are occasional typhoons, thunderstorms and other severe convection weather. At that time, all land and water transport might be affected and stop running. So if you are planning to visit during this time, please pay great attention to the current weather forecast.
What to Wear in Xiamen Summer
Wear any summer clothes, like shorts, shirts and skirts. Umbrella, sun cream and insect spray are also needed.
Recommended Xiamen Summer Activities
1. Get up early in the morning and go to the one and only remained and prosperous old market place - the Eighth Seafood Market to feel the authentic Xiamen local life.
2. Visit top beaches in Xiamen, like Baicheng Beach, Huangcuo Beach etc, and you can also enjoy swimming or bathing under the sun.
4. Plan a hiking tour around Gulangyu Island in August and enjoy the Gulangyu Piano Festival.
5. Enjoy lotus flowers blossoming at South Putuo Temple, climb on the top of Wulao Mountain and meet various tropical and subtropical plants at the famous Xiamen Botanical Garden.
Hot Xiamen Summer Tour
Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster in Summer
Xiamen Botanical Garden in Summer
Lotus Flowers Blossom in Nanputuo Temple
Xiamen Weather in June
Xiamen Weather in July
Xiamen Weather in August
How to Plan Your Xiamen Tour
Most visitors prefer to spend 2-4 days covering the highlights of Xiamen City and surrounding. They usually spend one day visiting the best attractions in the city area including Gulangyu Island, South Putuo Temple, Hulishan Fortress, Zhongshan Road, etc. And enjoy 1-2 days to Fujian Tulou clusters in Nanjing and Yongding to see the famous earthen buildings listed as World Cultural Heritage. If you want to explore Xiamen deeply, plan 1 more day to discover Huandao Road, Jimei School Village, The Eighth Seafood Market, Wanshi Botanical Garden, etc. !
Besides, you can also plan as many other visitors to spend 5-6 days visiting Wuyishan together with Xiamen and Fujian Tulou to appreciate more natural and cultural charm of Fujian Province.
If you are interested in photography, you can add 2-4 days to shoot Xiapu Mudflat in Ningde.
If you want to discover more culture and nature highlights to Fuzhou, Quanzhou, etc., plan 1-2 more days for each destination.
Beyond Fujian, China boasts a lot of wonderful nature, culture, history and city charm to discover, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Guilin, Chengdu, Huangshan, Hangzhou, Yunnan, etc. Extend your Fujian trip to more popular destinations to enrich your exploration of China in one go!
► Check more popular Xiamen Tour Packages
Travel Xiamen & Fujian with China Discovery
China Discovery is an experienced, professional and reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. In order to have a hassle-free travel and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended travelling with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange knowledgeable local English-speaking tour guide, excellent accommodation and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well and get better understanding of highlights in Xiamen and Fujian. The tour can be tailor-made according to your interests, time, group size, budget and every special need. If you are interested, please feel free to contact us to customize your tour!
Average Temperature & Rainy Days of Xiamen, Fujian, China
- Classic Xiamen Tours
- 3 Days Xiamen Tulou Tour
- 3 Days Cycling Tour
- 5 Days Xiamen Wuyishan
- Gulangyu Island
- South Putuo Temple
- Things to Do
- Gulangyu Attractions
- Get There & Around
- Get to Gulangyu Island
- Where to Stay
- Xiamen Hotels
- Xiamen Maps
- Xiamen 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit
- How to Plan Xiamen Tour
- More Xiamen Travel Guide
Xiamen Travel Guide
More about Fujian Travel Guide
Recommended Xiamen Tours
Top 3 Xiamen tours chosen by most customers to explore Xiamen in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 3 Days Classic Xiamen and Fujian Tulou Tour
Xiamen / Nanjing Tulou / Yongding Tulou / Xiamen
- 5 Days Xiamen & Fujian Tulou Highlights Tour
Xiamen / Nanjing Tulou / Yongding Tulou / Xiamen
- 2 Days Xiamen Essence Tour with Nanjing Tulou
Xiamen / Nanjing Tulou / Xiamen