Notice on Further Adjusting the Visa and Entry Policies for Foreigners Entering China - Updated on March 14, 2023:
In order to further facilitate the entry and exit of Chinese and foreign personnel, it has been decided to make the following adjustments to the visa and entry policies for foreigners entering China, effective from 00:00 March 15, 2023 Beijing time:
1. The entry function of visas which were issued before March 28, 2020 and still valid will be restored.
2. Overseas visa offices will resume issuing various types of visas (including Tourist Visa) for foreigners to travel to China, with specific requirements detailed in the visa application guidelines of Chinese embassies or consulates.
3. Port visa offices will resume issuing various types of port visas for lawful purposes.
4. The policies of visa-free entry for Hainan, Shanghai International cruise arrival, Guangdong for Tourist group entry of foreigners from Hong Kong, Macau, and ASEAN tourist groups entering Guilin, Guangxi will be restored.
China Discovery will keep focusing on the updates of the latest Chinese visa and entry policy! You can also call 86 010 12367 (Official telephone number of China National Immigration Administration) to check further information. Welcome to join in our Facebook Groups to catch up with the latest news!
Do I need a visa for Hainan China?
Hainan Island launched a new visa-free entry policy for citizens of certain 59 countries since May 1, 2018. Travelers who meet related requirements can enjoy 30 days visa-free access to Sanya, Haikou and cities in the whole Hainan Province. In July, 2019, the free entry has been further optimized, expanding the purpose of visiting from tour to business, family visit, sport, exhibition, etc., supporting individual declaration. Also, Hannan opens a 15 day visa free for cruise tour groups. Others (not qualified for any China Visa Free Policies), hence, need to apply and hold a valid Chinese Visa to go to Hainan.
Hainan has implemented a 15-Day Visa-Free Entry for Cruise Tour Groups and a 30-Day Visa-Free Policy for nationals from 59 countries, since official notification by the press conference on May 1st 2018, which is wildly considered as the most open and convenient entry policy in China. The second 30-day visa waiver program is an optimization of the previous policy which was executed in August 2010. It adds the applicable countries from 26 to a total 59 countries, extends the duration of stay from 15 to 30 days, valid objects from tour groups to individuals. Visitors can choose from independent entry and travel, or tour organized by Hainan local agencies.
Under the new policy, foreigners holding ordinary passports of the listed 59 countries, are allowed to enter Hainan from any open ports and stay within Hainan for a maximum of 30 days. No visa application is required, but a Temporary Entry Permit will be granted for the short visit upon arrival.
Do US citizens need a visa for Sanya China? The U.S.A is on the eligible Hainan visa-free countries list, so are UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, etc. Based on the related regulations, only aliens from the the following mentioned 59 countries can apply for the 30-day visa free entry to Hainan. But be aware, nationality is one of the essential requirements for Hainan free visa, there are other conditions to follow at the same time.
◆ European Countries (40)
- 25 Countries under Schengen Agreement:
Austria, France, Germany, Norway, Italy, Finland, Holland, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia.
- 15 Other European Countries:
Russia, the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Monaco, Belarus.
◆ American Countries (6)
The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile.
◆ Asian Countries (11)
South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar.
◆ Oceania Countries (2)
Australia, New Zealand.
Only the applicants meet all required conditions, they could apply for the 30-day visa-free stay in Hainan Island. The basic requirements are as follows:
1. Aliens must hold valid ordinary passports of one of the 59 Countries;
2. Visitors must make pre-arrival registration through local travel agencies;
3. Visitors must hold travel-related documents, including round-trip flight tickets, hotel bookings and travel itinerary in Hainan;
4. Visitors must take a flight to Hainan directly from other countries or regions (can transit via Hong Kong and Macau); enter from ports in Sanya, Haikou and any ports opened in Hainan.
5. Visitors must enter Hainan from ports in Sanya, Haikou or other ports opened in Hainan.
After entry, foreigners must move around within the administrative region of Hainan Province within 30 days permitted.
Passport is Required for a Hainan Free Visa Application
Foreign tourists shall follow official instructions to arrange your visa-free tour in Hainan, so that you can save your time and avoid any inconvenience that happened unexpectedly.
Step 1: Find a local travel agency in your home country or where you reside.
Step 2: Provide your identity information and travel itinerary 48 hours before arrival in Hainan to the local agent, who then will contact a travel agency in Hainan.
Step 3: The Hainan-based travel agency will make prior registration of free visa to the Public Security Bureau and Immigration Inspection Authority (at least 24 hours ahead of arrival).
Step 4: When taking a flight, fill in the Arrival Card provided by the air company in advance. It saves time for queuing up at the airport.
Step 5: After landing, go to the immigration counter through the specialized visa-free channel. The customs police will take your Arrival Card, collect your fingerprints and input personal information, etc.
Step 6: Get a Temporary Entry Permit for the short-term travel in Hainan after verification and approval.
Step 7: Go through custom clearance and claim your luggage, then leave the airport to start your Hainan tour.
Foreigner Was Submitting Personal Infos
First Visa-free Travelers at Haikou Airport
Notes: 1.) After arrival, travelers need to register for temporary accommodation within 24 hours after check-in. Otherwise, there will be a penalty. 2.) An individual or large number of tourists are all required to have a tour arranged by a Hainan-based travel agency. If you want to stay longer than the permitted period, go to other cities in mainland China or exit in advance, the travel agency in Hainan will provide support for visa application and exit formalities.
Except for the 30-day free visa, Haihai also offers Visa on Arrival (Port Visa) for foreigners from countries (or regions) with established diplomatic relationships or official trade with China, if they visit Hainan Island for tour, family visit, trade, investment, economic and technological exchange for less than 15 days. Visitors may apply for Hainan Landing Visa for temporary visit at ports in Haikou and Sanya with required documents, including passport, completed visa application form, round-trip ticket, visa fees, etc.
However, if you want to overstay in Hainan, or move to other cities in mainland China for an appropriate reason, you shall apply for a new Chinese Visa or additional endorsement.
Hainan Visa on Arrival Application Requirements Includes:
1.) Foreigners must hold ordinary private passport of countries establishing diplomatic or trade relationships with China; U.S.A citizens and Frenches are NOT allowed to apply for Visa on Arrival.
2.) The duration of the planned stay is within 30 days. Extension or alternation can be applied as needed.
3.) There is a host unit or individual in Hainan, China, financial proof to support normal life and travel expenses and general travel itinerary.
Sanya Fenghuang Airport is Valid for Hainan Visa on Arrival
1. Travelers coming from the 59 eligible countries can also apply for the 30-day free visa, if they travel from or transit via Hong Kong (or other third country/region) to Hainan by a direct flight.
2. Currently, Hainan has more than 70 international air routes, covering Australia, UK, Japan, South Korea, Russia, ASEAN Countries, and so on. Foreigners in those countries can take advantage of the free visa policy and fly to Hainan directly.
3. Visa Application in Hainan: If you accommodate in Haikou, Sanya, Yangpu, Wenchang, Qionghai, Chengmai, you may apply at the local Exit & Entry Administration Office. Others shall go to the Hainan Provincial Public Security Department for visa application.
4. Citizens from Singapore, Japan, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina can directly visit Hainan and other cities in mainland China without visa, and don’t need pre-arrival submission to travel agency.
15 days - Singapore, Japan, Brunei/ 30 days - the United Arab Emirate, Serbia
180 days (accumulated stay is within 90 days) - Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hainan is the southernmost province in China, famous as treasure land with rich flora and fauna, and tropic resort with sunshine, beach, islands, etc. Sightseeing trip to the romantic nature is the most popular way for a Hainan vacation. Taking the roundabout bullet train between Haikou and Sanya is the newest fashion getting more and more favors.
China Discovery is a professional and experienced travel companion who offers high-value and worry-free tours for you. We not only design an ideal itinerary covering sightseeing, dining, transfer and hotel, but also can provide any visa support & help you need to travel to China. (Apply for Chinese Visa) Except 30-day free visa in Hainan, China has offered 144-Hour Visa-free Transit in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Xiamen, Kunming, etc, and 72 Hour Transit Visa Exemption in Guilin, Harbin and Changsha. Just simple and fast processes, you may take advantage of the free visa to experience different kinds of landscape, culture and history of China.
Beautiful Beach in Sanya Hainan
Please feel free to contact us to join in our top recommended Hainan (Sanya) tours, or let us customize a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hainan and China for you.
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.