Wutaishan Weather & Seasons - Best Time to Visit Mount Wutai
Mount Wutai belongs to a temperate continental climate. Sometimes, the weather varies greatly between the foot part and the top part of the mountain even on the same day. Because of the cold climate, it is also called "Qingliangshan", meaning "cool mountain". The annual average temperature is -4°C, and the hottest months are July to August with an average temperature of 9.5°C and 8.5°C respectively. January is the coldest with an average temperature of minus -18.8°C, and the annual average temperature is 2-5°C. Many people would like to visit Mount Wutai to escape the summer heat, while it also rains a lot during summer and the annual rainfall is 500 mm.
Best Time to Visit Mount Wutai
The best time to visit Mount Wutai is from May to September, namely the late spring to early autumn, for the comfortable temperature. Otherwise, it might be too cold in the mountain area. No matter what time to visit Mount Wutai, remember to bring your extra layers and umbrella/raincoat always.
Average Wutaishan Temperature by Month
Wutaishan Seasons to Go
- ❀ Average Temperature: -11°C~11°C, chilly to comfortable
- It is still chilly and snowy during the early spring. Gradually, the snow starts to thaw and Mount Wutai comes back to life with appearing green sprouts and spring buds and the temperature become comfortable for hikers since May.
- Seasonal Activities
- As a famous Buddhist mountain, Mount Wutai holds many religious and worshipping events to commemorate different Buddhas. The important date is usually calculated by the Chinese lunar calendar, like the 15th day of the second month for Sakyamuni nirvana, and the 19th day for the birth of Avalokitesvara, etc.
- • What to Wear: During the early spring, it is still cold like in winter days and it is recommended to wear down jacket, winter coat, sweater, hiking shoes, gloves and scarfs in early spring and shirts, long skirts and sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets in late spring.
- ✔ Popular Mount Wutai Tour: 3 Days Mount Wutai Buddhism Tour from Taiyuan
Wutaishan Weather in March
- High Temperature: -2°C / 28.4°F
- Low Temperature: -11°C / 12.2°F
- Daylight Hours: 12h
- Rainfall: 27 mm
- Rainy Days: 7 days
- Sunrise: 6:13am-6:59am
- Sunset: 6:17pm-6:47pm
Wutaishan Weather in April
- High Temperature: 5°C /41°F
- Low Temperature: -5°C / 23°F
- Daylight Hours: 13h
- Rainfall: 230 mm
- Rainy Days: 12 days
- Sunrise: 5:29am-6:11am
- Sunset: 6:48pm-7:16pm
Wutaishan Weather in May
- High Temperature: 11°C /52°F
- Low Temperature: 2°C / 36°F
- Daylight Hours: 14.5h
- Rainfall: 79.1 mm
- Rainy Days: 11 days
- Sunrise: 5:02am-5:28am
- Sunset: 7:17pm-7:44pm
- ☂ Average Temperature: 6°C~16°C, comfortable, cool, and rainy
- Summer is the most comfortable season on Mount Wutai, though it rains a lot. Many visitors would like to go to Mount Wutai to escape the summer heat and enjoy the blooming wildflowers here and it might be very cool at night. Therefore, besides sunscreen and sunhat for sunny days, please remember to bring an umbrella and an extra layer with you while visiting Mount Wutai in summer.
- Seasonal Activities
- Summer is the best time to go hiking and do outdoor activities on Mount Wutai such as hiking atop the five famous peaks to enjoy the panoramic scenery of Mount Wutai and enjoy the green terrain and blooming flowers along your way and visit some famous Buddhist temples and the giant white pagoda.
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear a thin sweater, linen shirts, thin skirts, tin shirts, hiking shoes, a waterproof jacket for the day time and bring raincoat or umbrella always.
- ✔ Popular Mount Wutai Tour: 3 Days Mount Wutai Trekking Tour
Wutaishan Weather in June
Wutaishan Weather in July
Wutaishan Weather in August
- ☀ Average Temperature: -11°C~10°C, cool to cold
- The autumn scenery of the fall foliage on Mount Wutai is very beautiful. Since late September, the temperature sharply goes down and the temperature difference between day and night varies a lot, so remember to bring an extra layer if you are going to stay on the mountain at night. Usually, from late autumn, it starts to snow.
- Seasonal Activities
- Since the early autumn, Mount Wutai has become more colorful than any other time with beautiful fall foliage. However, it turns cold and snowy since late October, you are recommended to visit it during the daytime otherwise it is very cold at night.
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear jeans and sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, sneakers, hiking shoes for the early autumn, and winter coats and thick sweaters in late October and November.
- ✔ Popular Mount Wutai Tour: 5 Days Datong & Wutaishan Discovery Tour
Wutaishan Weather in Sept
Wutaishan Weather in Oct
Wutaishan Weather in Nov
- ☃ Average Temperature: -19°C~-8°C, cold, snowy, and dry
- Winter is the coldest time on Mount Wutai, and the lowest temperature is just about -19℃. Though it is more peaceful and less visited than any other time with beautiful snow-capped scenery, the snow also makes it harder for people to go to the mountain for the temperature is cold and the icy roads become slippery for both hiking and driving. Walking by the steep mountain cliff can be very dangerous.
- Seasonal Activities
- If you do not mind the coldness on Mount Wutai in winter, it is less crowded with beautiful snow-capped mountains and temples. You can visit the temples and drink a cup of hot tea to escape the coldness a little bit. Recommended temples are Xiantong Temple, Bodhisattva Monastery, etc.
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, warm paste, coats, woolen hats, sweaters, snow boots.
- ✔ Popular Mount Wutai Tour: 6 Day Datong Pingyao Tour Plus Wutaishan Visit
Wutaishan Weather in Dec
Wutaishan Weather in Jan
Wutaishan Weather in Feb
How to Plan Your Mount Wutai Tour
How to Get to Mount Wutai: You can get there by flights from Shanghai (2.5hrs), Chengdu (2.5hrs), Hangzhou (2hrs), etc. or travel to Mount Wutai from Datong, Pingyao, and Taiyuan by driving.
Where to Stay During Your Tour: You can accommodate in Taihuai Town which provides flexible choices of hotels from guest house to luxury 5 stars. If you want to hike the Da Chaotai (Big Kora), you have to stay a night in a temple or local guest house.
A classic Mount Wutai tour usually starts from Taihuai Town, the tourist center of the entire scenic area, then takes a day to visit the most important temples of Mount Wutai, such as Xiantong Temple, Pusa Ding Temple, Tayuan Temple, etc. which are conveniently located around Taihuai Town. If you are Buddhists, you can take the Xiao Chaotai (Small Kora) to Dailuo Ding Temple if you are short on time, or go to the high-altitude Five Terraces to worship Manjusri Bodhisattvas on the five peaks of Mount Wutai – East Terrace, North Terrace, Central Terrace, West Terrace and South Terrace, which usually costs two full days. If you prefer a hiking tour, you can find some amazing high plateau hiking trails among the Five Terraces. Below are most recommended Mount Wutai tours:
Mount Wutai is usually visited with other famous destinations in Shanxi Province, such as Pingyao Ancient City and Wang’s Family Compound in Pingyao, Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Temple in Datong, Jinci Temple in Taiyuan and Hukou Waterfall in southern Shanxi. Below are the most recommended Shanxi tours:
If your time allows, it’s strongly recommended to visit Mount Wutai with other sacred Buddhist sites in China, such as Mount Emei, Mount Putuo, Shaolin Temple, etc. If you want to explore more Chinese culture, you can also extend your tour to Xian, Beijing, Luoyang, Chengdu, etc. Below are some recommended China tours for you:
- Mount Wutai Tours
- 3 Days Mount Wutai Buddhism Tour
- 3 Days Mount Wutai Trekking Tour
- 5 Days Datong Mount Wutai Tour
- 6 Days Datong Mount Wutai Pingyao Tour
Top Mount Wutai (Wutaishan) Tours
Helpful Mount Wutai Travel Guide
Recommended Wutaishan Tours
Top 3 Wutaishan tours chosen by most customers to explore Wutaishan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
Datong / Wutaishan