Kubuqi Desert as the seventh largest desert in China is the most accessible one from city area. This 2-day short trip is the best package to discover the best sightseeing and authentic activities and adventures in the desert. The itinerary starts in Hohhot and takes you to walk to the heart part of magnificent and wild of Yemingsha (Night Singing Sand) that is the most beautiful scenic spot of Kubuqi. During the two days, you will discover the colors, glories, shapes, sunrise, sunset and night sky of this appealing desert land for a big visual feast on your own feet and the not-missing thrilling off-road driving SUV. Besides, wonderful party, relaxing BBQ dinner on desert and desert camp and more optional desert entertainment are all well prepared for your best rich memories at Kubuqi Desert! Our valuable tour package including a professional local tour guide, a non-smoking comfortable private vehicle with an experienced local driver and knowledgeable travel consultant will help you enjoy the best adventure trip experience in Inner Mongolia! Please feel free to contact us for the best price or if you have any question!
Day 1 Hohhot Arrival - Kubuqi Desert (L, D)Today’s highlights: Hasu Lake, Kubuqi Desert (Yemingsha Scenic Area), Desert Sunset, Desert Bonfire Party & BBQ Dinner
Good morning! Your local guide and driver will meet you at your hotel in Hohhot downtown and then escort you to Kubuqi Desert with a driving of about 3.5 hours.
On the way, make a short stop at Hasu Lake that is reputed as the “West Lake Beyond the Great Wall” for its beautiful view. Take the battery car (40 minutes) to admire the elegant ink painting landscape with emerald water, groups of flying birds and swimming ducks, layers of lotus leaves, groups of reeds and azure sky around the natural lake. You can also have a short walk on the Chilechuan Grassland to enjoy the green Inner Mongolian prairie landscape with flocks and herds grazing dispersedly.
Then, continue driving to discover Yemingsha at the hinterland of Kubuqi Desert. Covering 13,900 s.q.km, it is the seventh largest desert in China. With closer distance to urban and better facilities, it is also one of the most favorite one for desert hiking, magnificent sunset scenery and desert photography. While, Yemingsha (Night Singing Sand) is the most beautiful part of Kubuqi to appreciate the authentic desert landscape with golden and yellow sand shimmering under vast blue sky and is featured with sharp sand dunes for exciting desert exploration by hiking and driving.
After some break and when the desert is not so hot, have a wild desert hiking on the soft sand surface and catch the appealing different lines, curves and planes of this pure color world. As sun falls gently, savor the magnificent and poetic desert sunset spectacle of the lingering glory of the round orange setting sun sketching the clear outline of dark scarlet desert hills.
When the night comes, your guide will help you light up the fire and start your bonfire party with BBQ dinner. Play your favored music and groove at will under the starry sky. Enjoy your drinks and laughter and let the fire ignite your memorable night in the desert! Have a ball!!
After today’s discovery, enjoy your camp overnight in the desert! Have a nice sleep! (You can also choose to accommodate in a hotel in the desert if you are interested. Tell your travel consultant when booking the tour.)
Note: The local experienced professional guide will help you determine the place for camping based on the weather of the day. But, if it is not suitable such as strong wind (up to level 6) for camping in the desert, we will arrange the hotel for your accommodation of today for your safety and comfort.
- Yemingsha (Night Singing Sand) at Kubuqi Desert
- Bonfire Party at Yemingsha Scenic Area of Kubuqi Desert
- Overnight Camping at Kubuqi Desert
- Resplendend Yemingsha Desert Sunset
- Hasu Lake Scenery in Summer
Day 2 Kubuqi Desert - Ordos Departure (B)Today’s highlights: Kubuqi Desert (Yemingsha Scenic Area), Off-road Driving Experience
Good morning! You can get up early to welcome the gorgeous desert sunrise and admire the new sun dyeing warm color gradient to the sapphire sky backdrop and shaping the neat and clear waves, peaks and valleys of the desert world. After breakfast, take the fresh challenge of the off-road driving adventure (included) on the rough and uneven desert with the professional cool desert SUV. Feel the exciting weightlessness sense, thrilling celerity and your own strong heartbeat while the car rushing quickly up to the summits and down to the valleys in the desert like a roller coaster. Scream and laugh freely to drive all your nervous far away! Then, enjoy your desert hiking. Also, you can choose to have more fun with special optional activities in desert like camel riding, motorcycling, sliding, carting, etc. (optional activities need extra payment).
After the visiting, your guide and driver will escort you to the airport or railway station in Ordos to catch your flight or train to your next destination or home. Tour ends!
Departure Ideas: Eerduosi Railway Station has bullet trains to Hohhot and Wulanqab within Inner Mongolia. While, if you want to extend your trip to more destinations in China, Ordos Ejin Horo International Airport has direct flights to most provincial capital cities including Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu, Lanzhou, Hangzhou, Kunming, etc.
- Yemingsha Desert Off-road Driving Experience
- Romantic Yemingsha Desert Sunrise
- Camel Riding Experience at Kubuqi Yemingsha Desert
- Exciting Sand Sliding at Kubuqi Desert
Ordos is quite famous for the cultural relics of Genghis Khan who was the world influential leader of Mongol Empire eight hundred years ago and the booming economy there.
Enjoy 1 day to Ordos to seek the spiritual culture and historical stories of that great hero by visiting the must-see Mausoleum of Genghis Khan. And then, enjoy a leisure stroll along the glittery Kangbashi District to see Genghis Khan Sculpture Square, Mongol Chess Square and a series of outstandingly designed architectures.
Hulunbuir is praised as the “Green Pure Land”, which offers the top best and ideal natural wonders, including the world’s top grassland - Hulunbuir Grassland.
And in the 4 days, you’ll receive the awesome visual fest by exploration at the boundless prairie, lush wetland, featured Mongolian yurts, beautiful mountain ranges, exotic villages, winding rivers, interesting museum, etc. Here is the plan - Day 1 to Hulunbuir Grassland, Morigele River, Ergun Wetland and Shiwei Russian Town with the Russian-style wooden Mukeden accommodation experience; Day 2 to Haur River and Heishantou with grassland sunset enjoyment and Mongolian yurts accommodation, Day 3 to drive along the sightseeing China-Russia Border Road to visit Hulun Lake and splendid Manzhouli Matryoshka Square; Day 4 to drive back to Hailar and visit Hulunbuir National Museum with the rest time is free for departure.
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in a hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2022.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.45. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
Everything was very good, yes. Thank you for that. I am also happy to provide recommendation on TripAdvisor.
Sorry for the late reply but the trip was awesome for us! I think we both had a good time. The only thing I wish that maybe was different was the grasslands, we thought we’d see more sparse land rather than an organized villa kind of thing. Otherwise the rest of the trip was great, our driver was awesome and timely and Herry was also super sweet and got everything organized perfectly for us! We really got to know him. Thanks!
A friend of mine wants to book Inner Mongolia, so I’d like to share your contact. Can you add me back?
Thank you for helping to arrange our trip. We had a great time!
Can you please send through the fapiao?
My trip to Napa Lake today very nice, driver very nice.
Everything is fine, we had a good time and saw a lot of new areas.
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
● For Grasslands: June to September is popular to appreciate the luxuriant sightseeing of grassland in various green, and July to August are the peak season with most domestic travelers.<
● For Desert: deserts like Badain Jaran, Kubuqi, Tengger, etc. are suitable to visit most time of the year. While spring and autumn are the best to travel with most comfortable temperature, among which June to October is the peak traveling season, but daytime in summer has very high temperature for desert walking. So, you can arrange your exploration in the morning and late afternoon if you go in summer.
● For Populus Euphratica Forest: late September to middle October is the best time to appreciate the yellow and golden leaves of Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest with cool weather and little rain. Average temperature usually drop gradually from 16℃ to 8℃ from September to October.
● Fore Wetlands and Forests: Wetlands and forests like Erguna Wetland, Moerdaoga Forest, Arxan Mountain, etc. are suitable to visit all around the year, but they show the more beautiful colors in summer and autumn. Winter is better for snow-covered scene.
● For Hohhot, Baotou, Ordos and More: Hohhot, Baotou and Ordos boast the continental monsoon climate with about 2°C in the northern area and about 6.7°C in the south area. It is suitable to visit Hohhot all year round, but May to October is the best time to enjoy the beautiful sightseeing and comfortable weather. Besides, spring is dry and windy with comparatively frequent sandstorm, summer is pleasant with little rain, autumn is cool and get cold quickly, while winter is long and cold with little snow. Summer and autumn are nice to visit Xilingol and Chifeng.
Wear suitable seasonal clothes to accommodate the quite different weather in different seasons.
For Grasslands: summer clothes like trousers, T-shirts, comfortable hiking/walking shoes, hats, etc. in summer. Long-sleeves, sweaters, coats, trousers, hats, scarves, etc. in autumn and spring. But still prepare some warm and light winter clothes for Hulunbuir visit in spring and late autumn.
For Desert: summer clothes in summer. But long-sleeves, trousers, masks or scarves, etc. are better to protect from sunburn.
● Temperatures differ a lot from day to night, and it is highly recommended bring some warm clothes for the cold nights, even during the summer from June to September. Besides, long-sleeves, pants and thin scarves are recommended for warm keeping and defending mosquitoes. Comfortable walking shoes are highly suggested for your walking on the grasslands and other sites. Mosquito repellent is better to bring.
● Bring your sunglasses, sun block, hats, lip balm to care your eyes and skin due to the strong UV and long time staying outdoor.
Inner Mongolia is large and has several landing gateways for discovering different areas.
● Hohhot: For most trips discovering the central areas (Baotou, Ordos...) and top grasslands (Xilamuren, Huitengxile, Gegentala, etc.), Hohhot is the best landing place with the best connection of flights and high speed trains. Hohhot Baita International Airport has frequent direct flights to most domestic places like Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. with almost 1.5-4 hours. International travelers can also fly from Hong Kong, Taipei, Ulan Bator, etc. to Hohhot. Also, Hohhot East Railway Station as well as Hohhot Railway Station offer high speed trains with Beijing, Datong, Zhengzhou, etc. for your easy arrival and departure. Besides, Hohhot is only about 1-2 hours’ car riding to nearby famous grasslands.
● Hulunbuir: Hulunbuir located at the northeast Inner Mongolia is the gateway for Hulunbuir Grassland, Russian villages, etc. Hailar Dongshan International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, etc. Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, Guiyang, etc. No bullet trains are available in Hulunbuir!
● Ejina Banner: You can get there by car from nearby Lanzhou, Xining, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Dunhuang, etc. After a flight or bullet train transfer; Also, you can take the daily flight to Ejina Taolai Airport with a short stopover at Alxa Left Banner Airport.
● Badain Jaran Desert: You can fly to Ejin Bamner, Alxa Left Banner, Lanzhou, Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Jinchang first and transfer to Badain Jaran Desert by car. Also, you can take a bullet train to Zhangye first and get to the desert by car. No bullet trains are available in Ejin Banner.
● Xilingol & Chifeng: You can take a flight to Xilingol from Hohhot, Beijing, Baotou, etc. easily. To reach Chifeng, you can catch a flight from some major cities or a bullet train from nearby cities in northern China, like Beijing, Dalian, Shenyang, Chengde, etc.
● Hohhot & Nearby Grasslands: Staying in Hohhot downtown like Xincheng District and area south of Xinhua Square is most popular for visitors to Hohhot, since they are convenient for transfer, close to major attractions and good for buying local souvenirs. For tourists planning staying overnight at the grasslands, Xilamuren, Huitengxile and Gegentala all provides different hotels, hostels, resorts and themed Mongolia yurts based on your various needs.
● Hulunbuir: Hailar District as the downtown offers most hotel choices and is also close to the Hailar airport and train station.
● Kubuqi Desert: Xiangshawan Scenic Area has more good hotel options for staying in desert. Yemingsha Scenic Area has only one desert hotel. Seven Stars Lake also offers some luxury desert resort. Nearby all places are suitable for desert camping.
● Ordos: Kangbashi District is relatively a better place to accommodate because it has the most good hotels, convenient downtown location, and closer distance to the airport, train station major attractions.
● Ejin Banner: Dalaihob Town is mostly chosen for its abundant hotels and homestays. Besides, places surrounding Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest, Juyan Lake and Heicheng Ruoshui Huyang Scenic Area are also good to stay.
● Badain Jaran Desert: Badain Jaran Town with starred hotels and hostels are popular. Also, you can stay overnight in the desert at the desert hotels, homestays, or Mongolia yurts. Camping in the desert is also a popular way.
Tips: Hotels and restaurants around Hohhot, Ordos, Baotou, etc. in central Inner Mongolia and Hulunbuir usually rise their prices during summer vacation in July and August and other travel peak season including National Holiday from October 1 to 7. From early to middle October is the peak season for Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest. And July to October for Badain Jaran Desert. So, it is better to plan and book your accommodation in advance.
● Remember to always follow your groups instead of heading to the heart regions by your own, or you may get lost. Cell phone signal may be weak or zero in the grassland or forest areas in Inner Mongolia, stay calm.
● Wear the harness correctly when enjoying horse riding and follow the direction to keep safe!
That also depends on which areas you are interested in to discover! For a classic Inner Mongolia nature and culture seeking for the first time, most travelers plan about 3-4 days to Hohhot to discover the city highlights with 1-2 days staying at Huitengxile Grassland or Xilamuren Grassland. Apart from Hohhot, a large portion also extend to nearby Ordos (1-2.5 days) to discover the cool Kubuqi Desert (Xiangshawan or Yemingsha) with the best city highlights, Baotou (1-2 days) with outstanding temples and monasteries, etc. for a central Inner Mongolia savory. If you want to discover the best grassland sightseeing and exotic ethnic flavors in China, plan 4-5 days to appreciate Hunlunbuir Grassland, Russian styled Shiwei, Enhe or Linjiang town with more fabulous lakes and dense forests of the northeastern part of Inner Mongolia. While, if you like the golden Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest and Badain Jaran Desert, it usually takes about 3-4 days for each destination. An in-depth Inner Mongolia trip from the east, via center, and to the west can take more than 11-15 days based on your interests. It is also a great idea to plan your trip to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Datong, Xining, Dunhuang, Xinjiang, Guilin, Chengdu, Tibet, Yangtze River, Yunnan, etc. in China to enjoy more highlights and save more money! Please contact us if you have any question or need any help!
Note: If you want a deeper Inner Mongolia grassland discovery with 2 or more nights staying in the Mongolian yurts, please tell our travel expert directly to help you with the planning!
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Yemingsha of Kubuqi Desert / Hohhot
Hohhot / Baotou / Kubuqi Desert / Hulunbuir / Shiwei / Hulunbuir
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot
No documents found.
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from northeast to southwest”1,520+ Reviews