Inner Mongolia Weather & Seasons
Inner Mongolia is far away from ocean with a wide area and a high altitude above sea level. Hence, Inner Mongolia has a temperate monsoon climate, featured by few and irregular rainfall, drastic shift of temperature. Cold, long winters with frequent blizzards; warm, short summers; from west to east, the climate changes from arid to semi-humid, and to humid in the northeast.
The best time to visit Inner Mongolia is from June to late September. To travel in the Inner Mongolia grassland area, you’d better go in summer, especially from July to September. If taking a trip to desert areas, you’d better go in autumn.
Most Popular Inner Mongolia Tour Packages
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Inner Mongolia Seasons to Go
- In spring, in the Inner Mongolia desert areas, dust storms appear frequently; while in grassland areas, the grass and trees are flourishing; and flocks and herds are in groups.
- The weather in summer (from June to August) is comfortable and cool. And the change of the temperature between days and nights can be great too. In the evening you are often advised to put on warm clothing when you travel on the grasslands even in summer time. The average temperature is 17°C to 26°C. However, in desert areas, people will feel the intense summer heat. Travelers should prepare enough cloths like thin coat and bring sunbonnet, sunglasses, and sunscreen.
Seasonal Activities:It is the best time to take part in Naadam Festival, explore the colorful ethnic culture, and see the grassland scenery on Inner Mongolia grasslands like Xilamuren Grassland, Gegentala Grassland and Huitengxile Grassland.
- Autumn in Inner Mongolia desert regions is bright. Travelers can enjoy fantasy beauty like the desert wind and sea oasis, even a mirage in the desert. The deserts are located in the western part of Inner Mongolia. The most famous and visited ones are the Badain Jaran Desert, Tengger Desert and Kubuqi Desert. Early autumn from the middle of August to the end of September is the best time to explore the desert. During this time, travelers need to wear cashmere sweater or long-sleeved coat.
Seasonal Activities:Taking trips to the Kubuqi Desert will be great. On the desert, you’ll try some desert activities like camel riding, sand sliding, motorbike riding etc.
- In winter, the desert areas of Inner Mongolia will have an icy cold weather. Grassland areas are also a world of ice and snow. The average temperature in winter is -23°C to -10°C.
Seasonal Activities:From late December to the end of February, Manzhouli Ice and Snow Festival is in full swing. Giant blocks of ice carved in shapes of animals, castles, buildings and picture panels are an impressive sight.
Recommended Inner Mongolia Tours
Top 3 Inner Mongolia tours chosen by most customers to explore Inner Mongolia in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 5 Days Hohhot, Baotou & Huitengxile Grassland Tour
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Resonant Sand Bay / Baotou
- 5 Days Inner Mongolia Genghis Khan & Grassland Tour
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot / Baotou / Ordos
- 5 Days Best Hulunbuir Tour with Grassland Exploration
Hulunbuir / Erguna / Manzhouli / Hulunbuir