If you are considering a first look at the wild grassland and desert landscape and interesting normadic culture in Inner Mongolia, this is your best package to take!
This 5-day tour helps you to discover the best popular Inner Mongolia grassland and desert areas in a classic way. The itinerary starts and ends both in Hohhot, the capital and most convenient traffic hub city within Inner Mongolia. You’ll walk in the vast and most beautiful Huitengxile Grassland to treat your eyes with the fantastic luxurious prairie sightseeing with bunches of happy flocks and herds roaming under the clear light blue heaven with white flowery clouds and meet the rare landform with valley on grasslands. Besides, you will have a cool and amazing exploration of the desert world to hear the sound of the singing sand and admire the glittery glories and graceful outline of the soft golden desert at Kubuqi. Also, you will have a clear understanding of the natural distribution, cultural gems and historical development of this large prefecture in northern China with great displays. Our valuable trip package covering professional travel consultant service, local tour guide introduction and comfortable private car with an experienced driver will help you enjoy a great travel experience at the grassland and desert in Inner Mongolia. Please contact us to get the latest quotation and help your plan the trip!
Best time to take this tour: May to October is great to visit Hohhot and Kubuqi Desert, while June to September is recommended to admire the lush and green grassland scenery. July and August are especially the peak season with lots of visitors.
Day 1 Hohhot ArrivalPick up from airport / railway station & hotel check-in
Welcome to Hohhot, the Capital of Inner Mongolia! Upon your arrival, your local travel guide and driver will meet at the arrival hall of the airport / railway station and then escort you to your hotel in Hohhot downtown with a comfortable licensed private vehicle (non-smoking). Your guide will help you check in. The rest of today is on your own to explore the "Blue City" in Inner Mongolia.
Arrival Ideas: Hohhot Baita International Airport has many flights from many domestic destinations like Beijing, Datong, Shanghai, Xian, Guilin, Chengdu, Kunming, Guiyang, Guangzhou, Urumqi, Zhengzhou, Harbin, etc. and direct flight from some international destinations including Hong Kong, Taipei and Ulan Bator. You can also take a high speed train from Beijing (2-3 hrs), Zhangjiakou (1.5 hrs), Datong (2.5-3 hrs), Taiyuan (5 hrs), Shijiazhuang, etc.
- Hohhot - the "Green City" & Milk Capital in China
Day 2 Hohhot - Huitengxile Grassland (B, L)Today’s highlights: Huitengxile Grassland (Yellow Flowers Valley Geopark, Wokuotai Flowers Prairie, Niudangou Ecological Valley...)
Good morning! After breakfast, your guide and driver will meet you at your hotel and then escort you to explore Yellow Flower Valley, which is the core area of the fabulous Huitengxile Grassland (Average Altitude: 2,100 meters) near Hohhot (110 kilometers away, 2.5 hours’ by car)! Meaning “Cold Ridge”, it is the most popular grassland in China with peculiar stunning prairie sightseeing!
Walk on the boundless prairie with shiny green grass dancing in the breeze under the clear azure sky and cotton-like clouds, where flocks and herds grazing and roaming idyllically and the groups of white windmills rotating for power generation. You will have an amazing exploration of the wonderful grassland by walking and taking local sightseeing cars, sightseeing trains, cable cars and animal-drawn vehicles. Catch the best highlights of the Yellow Flowers Valley Geopark that is the typical geological site of the quaternary glacier of over one hundred million years and where to admire the refreshing rare prairie landscape with abundant golden yellow blossoms. Take your time to visit the Wokuotai Flowers Prairie to appreciate the typical alpine meadow grassland with various colored flowers, which is so ideal for photography. Continue to Niudangou Ecological Valley to inhale the sweet air and enjoy a short leisure hike along the plank road along birch forest. Soak in the pleasant and vast scenery of the Seven-color Flower Field and other charming areas of Huitengxile Grassland. You can also choose to experience riding on a horse back, archery, and other activities based on your interests and time (optional activities with extra payment).
Optional Dinner: enjoy the Mongolian styled Zhama Banquet dinner and experience the interesting dining manner of the no.1 banquet in the past Inner Mongolian court by dressing in aristocratic costumes and tasting delicate Mongolian dishes (individual serving). Besides, appreciate like the past royal families the singing and dancing, playing of morin khuur (horse fiddle), amazing Urtiin duu (traditional Mongolian long song), Khoomei (Tuvan throat singing), and other arts of Mongolian group. (optional activity with extra payment. Please tell us if you are interested in that dinner when booking the tour.)
After today’s discovery, enjoy your night over in the Mongolian styled yurts with private bathroom. Have a nice sleep!
Notice: 1). The detailed scenic areas, optional activities and tourist vehicles in Yellow Flowers Valley may be adjusted based on the scenic area management of the year. 2). You can also choose to accommodate in a hotel with better facilities and services in Hohhot downtown area, however, you will miss out the sunrise the next morning. Please tell your travel expert when booking.
- Huitengxile Grassland in July
- Huitengxile Grassland Yellow Flowers Valley Sightseeing
- Sightseeing Train at Huitengxile Grassland
- Huitengxile Grassland Horse Riding
- Mongolian Yurts at Huitengxile Grassland
- Different Types of Mongolian Yurts at Huitengxile Grassland (For Your Reference Only)
- Wonderful Zhama Banquet Dinner on Inner Mongolia Grasslands
Day 3 Huitengxile Grassland - Kubuqi Desert (B, L)Today’s highlights: Huitengxile Grassland Sunrise, Kubuqi Desert (Yemingsha Scenic Area)
Good morning! Today, you can get up early (about 04:00 am) to catch the fabulous sunrise on grassland with the golden sun dying the surrounding sky and sun glow into orange, pink, rose, purple, etc. and gives the soft glories onto the vibrant grass. After breakfast, you can have a refreshing stroll on the eye-pleasing Huitengxile Grassland.
Then, transfer to discover Yemingsha at the hinterland of Kubuqi Desert with a driving of about 4.5 hours. Kubuqi Desert covering 13,900 s.q.km is the seventh largest desert in China. With closer distance to urban and better facilities, it is also one of the most favorite one for desert hiking, magnificent sunset scenery and desert photography. While, Yemingsha (Night Singing Sand) is the most beautiful part of Kubuqi to appreciate the authentic desert landscape with golden and yellow sand shimmering under vast blue sky and is featured with sharp sand dunes for exciting desert exploration by hiking and driving.
After some break and when the desert is not so hot, have a wild desert hiking on the soft sand surface and catch the appealing different lines, curves and planes of this pure color world. As sun falls gently, savor the magnificent and poetic desert sunset spectacle of the lingering glory of the round orange setting sun sketching the clear outline of dark scarlet desert hills.
After today’s discovery, accommodate at your hotel in the desert. Have a nice sleep! (You can also choose to experience the desert camp if you are interested. Tell your travel consultant when booking the tour.)
- Huitengxile Grassland Sunrise
- Yemingsha (Night Singing Sand) at Kubuqi Desert
- Resplendend Yemingsha Desert Sunset
Day 4 Kubuqi Desert - Hohhot (B, L)Today’s highlights: Kubuqi Desert (Yemingsha Scenic Area)
Good morning! You can get up early (about 04:00 a.m. in June and 06:00 a.m. in October) to welcome the gorgeous desert sunrise and admire the new sun dyeing warm color gradient to the sapphire sky backdrop and shaping the neat and clear waves, peaks and valleys of the desert world.
After breakfast, enjoy your desert hiking. If you are interested, take the fresh challenge of the off-road driving adventure (optional) on the rough and uneven desert with the professional cool desert SUV. Feel the exciting weightlessness sense, thrilling celerity and your own strong heartbeat while the car rushing quickly up to the summits and down to the valleys in the desert. Scream and laugh freely to drive all your nervous far away! Then, enjoy your desert hiking. Also, you can choose to have more fun with special optional activities in desert like camel riding, motorcycling, sliding, carting, etc. (optional activities need extra payment).
Then, your guide and driver will escort you back to Hohhot and help you check in at the hotel. Have a good rest!
- Yemingsha Desert Off-road Driving Experience
- Romantic Yemingsha Desert Sunrise
- Camel Riding Experience at Kubuqi Yemingsha Desert
Day 5 Hohhot & Hohhot Departure (B)Today’s highlights: Inner Mongolia Museum, Dazhao Temple
After breakfast, your guide and driver will meet at your hotel and then escort you to visit Inner Mongolia Museum. This national first-class museum is a great window to have a comprehensive understanding of the ecological change, culture and historical development of the alpine grassland, deserts, forests, etc. in Inner Mongolia from trillions of years ago. Stroll at each themed hall to take a close look at those collections of local specimens of animal, plant, ores, etc., displays of costumes, lifestyles, national customs, language, art, culture communications, etc. of Mongolian and other Northern tribes living there, logical materials about the famous influential leaders and their dynasties including Genghis Khan and his Yuan Dynasty.
Then, transfer to Dazhao Temple (or called Wuliang Temple) built from 1579 AD, which is the most popular temple and earliest Tibetan Gelugpa monastery in Hohhot representing the Buddhist culture in Inner Mongolia. Take a leisure walk around the temple clusters and courtyards and worship with locals in front of the Buddha statues. You shall not miss the well-known treasurable “Three Excellence” of Dazhao, namely the silver Buddha statue created with thirty tons of fine silver by a Nepalese craftsman, the pair of outstanding carved golden dragons seeming to fly along the two ten-meter high main pillars, and the lifelike mural depicting the scenes of the heaven, the world and the underworld with 770 Buddha and figure statues. Also, the 4.2 meters tall Sakyamuni statue made of Burmese jade and 48,000 gemstones is another visual gift for past artistic skills in Inner Mongolia.
After the tour, your guide and driver will escort you to the airport or railway station to catch your flight or train to your next destination or home. Tour ends!
- Inner Mongolia Museum
- Inner Mongolia Museum Precious Collection of An Ancient Crown
- Dazhao Temple Appearance
Ordos is quite famous for the cultural relics of Genghis Khan who was the world influential leader of Mongol Empire eight hundred years ago and the booming economy there.
Enjoy 1 day to Ordos to seek the spiritual culture and historical stories of that great hero by visiting the must-see Mausoleum of Genghis Khan. And then, enjoy a leisure stroll along the glittery Kangbashi District to see Genghis Khan Sculpture Square, Mongol Chess Square and a series of outstandingly designed architectures.
Hulunbuir is praised as the “Green Pure Land”, which offers the top best and ideal natural wonders, including the world’s top grassland - Hulunbuir Grassland.
And in the 4 days, you’ll receive the awesome visual fest by exploration at the boundless prairie, lush wetland, featured Mongolian yurts, beautiful mountain ranges, exotic villages, winding rivers, interesting museum, etc. Here is the plan - Day 1 to Hulunbuir Grassland, Morigele River, Ergun Wetland and Shiwei Russian Town with the Russian-style wooden Mukeden accommodation experience; Day 2 to Haur River and Heishantou with grassland sunset enjoyment and Mongolian yurts accommodation, Day 3 to drive along the sightseeing China-Russia Border Road to visit Hulun Lake and splendid Manzhouli Matryoshka Square; Day 4 to drive back to Hailar and visit Hulunbuir National Museum with the rest time is free for departure.
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in a hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2023.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.45. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
We are happy to answer your questions.
1. Our travel consultant, Vivien, was outstanding and exceeded our expectations. Due to covid travel restrictions, our trip had to be changed and postponed several times but Vivien dealt with this efficiently and respectfully despite at times having to change plans at the last minute. Without Vivien, we would have cancelled our wonderful trip. Every request we made was met and everything was highly organized and communicated with us downtown to the finest detail. The guides and drivers arranged were excellent and we felt relaxed throughout our trip.Vivien is a credit to the company and an exemplary representative.
2. Our tour guides had excellent English and were very knowledgeable. Especially appreciated was their patience and flexibility as I have a bone disease and often struggle to walk. They let me rest without complaint and went above and beyond in all regards even to Yenny ordering us some sesame rice balls to be delivered to the hotel because I had enjoyed them so much at lunch and Ellen taking us for hotpot for lunch at our request. Nothing was too much trouble.
3. We are leaving China this year and despite not usually using a travel agent when we travel, we hope to return to China in the future and will use China Discovery and hopefully Vivien without a doubt.
Vivien, words cannot express how grateful we are for everything you have done for us to ensure we managed a break away. Personally, we needed a holiday and you provided us with the most amazing trip.
Even though we have never met you and do not even know what you look like, you will hold a place in our hearts forever. You have truly been a blessing and we are eternally grateful for your patience, kind and caring attitude and professionalism throughout the last year.
Thank you so much.
I have attached some photos and you can use these if they are any good as well as our recommendations.
Val and Steve Hart
Yes, thank you Rita, it was great.
We had a nice time in Guizhou. Everything went out well.
No problem we are back in Shanghai now. The trip was wonderful!
We appriciate all of your support for the arrangement of our trip. We had great experience during our stay in Guilina and Yangshuo. We were impressed by our guide, Steven. He is very experienced. We learned a lot from him. Many thanks for arranging our trip and thanks especially for sending Steven as our guide! Guilin was very beautiful and lots to learn. We were very impressed by Steven's professional and imformative guidance, flexibility, and sense of humor. He was perfect in English too. We will definitely recommend him to our friends‼
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
● For Grasslands: June to September is popular to appreciate the luxuriant sightseeing of grassland in various green, and July to August are the peak season with most domestic travelers.<
● For Desert: deserts like Badain Jaran, Kubuqi, Tengger, etc. are suitable to visit most time of the year. While spring and autumn are the best to travel with most comfortable temperature, among which June to October is the peak traveling season, but daytime in summer has very high temperature for desert walking. So, you can arrange your exploration in the morning and late afternoon if you go in summer.
● For Populus Euphratica Forest: late September to middle October is the best time to appreciate the yellow and golden leaves of Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest with cool weather and little rain. Average temperature usually drop gradually from 16℃ to 8℃ from September to October.
● Fore Wetlands and Forests: Wetlands and forests like Erguna Wetland, Moerdaoga Forest, Arxan Mountain, etc. are suitable to visit all around the year, but they show the more beautiful colors in summer and autumn. Winter is better for snow-covered scene.
● For Hohhot, Baotou, Ordos and More: Hohhot, Baotou and Ordos boast the continental monsoon climate with about 2°C in the northern area and about 6.7°C in the south area. It is suitable to visit Hohhot all year round, but May to October is the best time to enjoy the beautiful sightseeing and comfortable weather. Besides, spring is dry and windy with comparatively frequent sandstorm, summer is pleasant with little rain, autumn is cool and get cold quickly, while winter is long and cold with little snow. Summer and autumn are nice to visit Xilingol and Chifeng.
Wear suitable seasonal clothes to accommodate the quite different weather in different seasons.
For Grasslands: summer clothes like trousers, T-shirts, comfortable hiking/walking shoes, hats, etc. in summer. Long-sleeves, sweaters, coats, trousers, hats, scarves, etc. in autumn and spring. But still prepare some warm and light winter clothes for Hulunbuir visit in spring and late autumn.
For Desert: summer clothes in summer. But long-sleeves, trousers, masks or scarves, etc. are better to protect from sunburn.
● Temperatures differ a lot from day to night, and it is highly recommended bring some warm clothes for the cold nights, even during the summer from June to September. Besides, long-sleeves, pants and thin scarves are recommended for warm keeping and defending mosquitoes. Comfortable walking shoes are highly suggested for your walking on the grasslands and other sites. Mosquito repellent is better to bring.
● Bring your sunglasses, sun block, hats, lip balm to care your eyes and skin due to the strong UV and long time staying outdoor.
Inner Mongolia is large and has several landing gateways for discovering different areas.
● Hohhot: For most trips discovering the central areas (Baotou, Ordos...) and top grasslands (Xilamuren, Huitengxile, Gegentala, etc.), Hohhot is the best landing place with the best connection of flights and high speed trains. Hohhot Baita International Airport has frequent direct flights to most domestic places like Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. with almost 1.5-4 hours. International travelers can also fly from Hong Kong, Taipei, Ulan Bator, etc. to Hohhot. Also, Hohhot East Railway Station as well as Hohhot Railway Station offer high speed trains with Beijing, Datong, Zhengzhou, etc. for your easy arrival and departure. Besides, Hohhot is only about 1-2 hours’ car riding to nearby famous grasslands.
● Hulunbuir: Hulunbuir located at the northeast Inner Mongolia is the gateway for Hulunbuir Grassland, Russian villages, etc. Hailar Dongshan International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, etc. Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, Guiyang, etc. No bullet trains are available in Hulunbuir!
● Ejina Banner: You can get there by car from nearby Lanzhou, Xining, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Dunhuang, etc. After a flight or bullet train transfer; Also, you can take the daily flight to Ejina Taolai Airport with a short stopover at Alxa Left Banner Airport.
● Badain Jaran Desert: You can fly to Ejin Bamner, Alxa Left Banner, Lanzhou, Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Jinchang first and transfer to Badain Jaran Desert by car. Also, you can take a bullet train to Zhangye first and get to the desert by car. No bullet trains are available in Ejin Banner.
● Xilingol & Chifeng: You can take a flight to Xilingol from Hohhot, Beijing, Baotou, etc. easily. To reach Chifeng, you can catch a flight from some major cities or a bullet train from nearby cities in northern China, like Beijing, Dalian, Shenyang, Chengde, etc.
● Hohhot & Nearby Grasslands: Staying in Hohhot downtown like Xincheng District and area south of Xinhua Square is most popular for visitors to Hohhot, since they are convenient for transfer, close to major attractions and good for buying local souvenirs. For tourists planning staying overnight at the grasslands, Xilamuren, Huitengxile and Gegentala all provides different hotels, hostels, resorts and themed Mongolia yurts based on your various needs.
● Hulunbuir: Hailar District as the downtown offers most hotel choices and is also close to the Hailar airport and train station.
● Kubuqi Desert: Xiangshawan Scenic Area has more good hotel options for staying in desert. Yemingsha Scenic Area has only one desert hotel. Seven Stars Lake also offers some luxury desert resort. Nearby all places are suitable for desert camping.
● Ordos: Kangbashi District is relatively a better place to accommodate because it has the most good hotels, convenient downtown location, and closer distance to the airport, train station major attractions.
● Ejin Banner: Dalaihob Town is mostly chosen for its abundant hotels and homestays. Besides, places surrounding Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest, Juyan Lake and Heicheng Ruoshui Huyang Scenic Area are also good to stay.
● Badain Jaran Desert: Badain Jaran Town with starred hotels and hostels are popular. Also, you can stay overnight in the desert at the desert hotels, homestays, or Mongolia yurts. Camping in the desert is also a popular way.
Tips: Hotels and restaurants around Hohhot, Ordos, Baotou, etc. in central Inner Mongolia and Hulunbuir usually rise their prices during summer vacation in July and August and other travel peak season including National Holiday from October 1 to 7. From early to middle October is the peak season for Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest. And July to October for Badain Jaran Desert. So, it is better to plan and book your accommodation in advance.
● Remember to always follow your groups instead of heading to the heart regions by your own, or you may get lost. Cell phone signal may be weak or zero in the grassland or forest areas in Inner Mongolia, stay calm.
● Wear the harness correctly when enjoying horse riding and follow the direction to keep safe!
That also depends on which areas you are interested in to discover! For a classic Inner Mongolia nature and culture seeking for the first time, most travelers plan about 3-4 days to Hohhot to discover the city highlights with 1-2 days staying at Huitengxile Grassland or Xilamuren Grassland. Apart from Hohhot, a large portion also extend to nearby Ordos (1-2.5 days) to discover the cool Kubuqi Desert (Xiangshawan or Yemingsha) with the best city highlights, Baotou (1-2 days) with outstanding temples and monasteries, etc. for a central Inner Mongolia savory. If you want to discover the best grassland sightseeing and exotic ethnic flavors in China, plan 4-5 days to appreciate Hunlunbuir Grassland, Russian styled Shiwei, Enhe or Linjiang town with more fabulous lakes and dense forests of the northeastern part of Inner Mongolia. While, if you like the golden Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest and Badain Jaran Desert, it usually takes about 3-4 days for each destination. An in-depth Inner Mongolia trip from the east, via center, and to the west can take more than 11-15 days based on your interests. It is also a great idea to plan your trip to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Datong, Xining, Dunhuang, Xinjiang, Guilin, Chengdu, Tibet, Yangtze River, Yunnan, etc. in China to enjoy more highlights and save more money! Please contact us if you have any question or need any help!
Note: If you want a deeper Inner Mongolia grassland discovery with 2 or more nights staying in the Mongolian yurts, please tell our travel expert directly to help you with the planning!
Hohhot / Ulanqab / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot / Baotou / Yemingsha of Kubuqi Desert / Ordos
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Ordos
Hohhot / Baotou / Kubuqi Desert / Hulunbuir / Shiwei / Hulunbuir
No documents found.
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from northeast to southwest”1,530+ Reviews