Looking for a vacation spree in primitive grasslands in China with fewer crowds and traces of commercial atmosphere and modern styles? Xilingol, the wonderful land with different types of primitive prairies in China to offer, welcomes you! What an incredible thing to find deserts, forests and even volcanoes in the epic grassland, while in Xilingol, you will be rewarded with such stunning grassland landscapes. Being one of the vital cradles of Mongolian culture and Yuan culture, Xilingol is not short of historical relics. Site of Xanadu, the only UNESCO Heritage in the whole Inner Mongolia, can also be found in this land.
In this 5 Days Classic Xilingol Tour, we will take you to discover all the highlights of Xilingol! This valuable tour package includes local private guide and driver, non-smoking comfortable licensed private vehicle and professional travel consultant service, guaranteeing you the bests that you want according to your budget and interests. Feel free to contact us for the best price now!
Best Time to enjoy this tour: June ~ September, especially July and August, when the grassland is in lush green and flowers are in blossom.
Day 1 Xilinhot ArrivalPick up from airport / railway station & hotel check-in
Welcome to Xilinhot, the center area of Xilingol! Upon your arrival, your local travel guide and driver will meet at the arrival hall of the Xilinhot Airport and then escort you to your hotel in Xilinhot downtown with a comfortable licensed private vehicle (non-smoking). Your guide will help you check in. The rest of today is on your own to explore the city.
Arrival Ideas: Xilinhot Airport has flights to/from Beijing (1 hour), Hohhot (1 hour) and Baotou (1 hour), etc. Beijing and Hohhot, especially Beijing, are the best gateways.
- Welcome to Xilinhot City
Day 2 Xilinhot - The Mongol Khan City (B, L, D)Today's highlights: Beizi Temple & Erdun Aobao, The Mongol Khan City, Mini Naadam Festival, Wild Grassland Jeep Safari, Nomadic Family Visit, Mongolian Yurt Accomodation...
Good morning! Today after breakfast, you will first visit Beizi Temple in the city. Beizi Temple, or called Chongshan Temple, is one of the four most sacred temples in the entire Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Built in 1742, Beizi Temple has a relatively long history of about 280 years. Its architectures combine the styles of both Mongolia and China, which is very impressive. You will stroll around this large temple cluster to admire the magnificent and elegant buildings with large scale of carved beams, painted columns, stone lions and murals reflecting the history and life of the Mongolian nation. After the temple exploration, you will visit the famous Erdun Aobao (a rock pile site for worshiping and sacrifice for Mongolian people) atop the back hill of the temple. Erdun Aobao is composed of 13 rock piles, each of which has its own symbolic meaning. You can take walks around the aobaoes to get blessings. Here, you will also get an amazing panorama view of the Xilinhot City and the Beizi Temple.
Your guide and driver will then escort you to the West Ujimqin Grassland, which is an amazing prairie with almost every type of grassland in China. After driving for about 166 KM / 2.5 hours, you will arrive at The Mongol Khan City in the center area of the prairie. The Mongol Khan City was once a filming site for the television drama named Genghis Khan, while now it is a popular and brilliant tourist grassland palace to enjoy the grassland fun and to trace the Mongolian culture. Here, you will be welcomed with a traditional Mongolian lunch. After that, enjoy the mini Naadam Festival held there. Then, spend 1~2 hours to free yourself with leisurely grassland trekking or abundant of grassland activities (optional programs with extra fee), like archery, kart, etc. What comes next is the much-anticipated wild grassland Jeep Safari trip (40 kilometers around for a round trip). You will take jeep cars to the hinterland of the primitive prairie in about 20 kilometers away from the Mongol Khan City. Enjoy the exciting journey of driving in the wild vast with grasses and large groups of sheep and horses by your two sides. On the way, you will also visit a local Mongolia Family, where you can take a glimpse of their life, feed their sheep, try on Mongolia clothing, etc. Dinner is served in The Mongol Khan City after your return. After dinner, join in the Mongolian styled bonfire party and have great fun dancing and singing with local Mongolian people under the charming starry night sky.
Today's discovery ends! Tonight you will accommodate in the Mongolian Yurt with private bathroom. Have a nice sleep!
- Beizi Temple
- Beizi Temple Cluster
- Nomadic Family Visit
- Horse Riding in The Mongol Khan City
- A Kid is Triying Horse Riding in The Mongol Khan City
- The Amazing Mongol Khan City
- Grassland Jeep Safari
- Grassland Jeep Safari
- Mongolian Yurt Accomodation in The Mongol Khan City
- Private Bathroom in the Yurt
Day 3 The Mongol Khan City - Xilinhot (B, L)Today's highlights: Panorama Mountain (Liaowang Mountain), Banlashan, Optional Indoor Night Show...
Good morning. If you like, you can get up early (about 4:00 am) to appreciate the stunning sunrise in the grassland. After that, you will going to explore the different types of prairie view. Your primary destination is the Panorama Mountain (Liaowang Mountain), which is about a half an hour's drive away. Upon arriving, let's climb up to the top of the mountain to get perfect panorama views of the endless lush classic prairie and trace the legend of the Great Khan and his war-horse. Then, drive for about 2 hours to Banlashan, which stands in unique shape that only half of mountain remains. One side of the mountain is a slope with trails to the mountain top, while the other side is a cliff. Close to the mountain are tranquil rivers and a beautiful White Birch Forest. The white birch trees are extremely tall and straight in the flat grassland. Enjoy your wonderful moments in the mountain and forest to indulge in the landscape.
After that, be escorted back to Xilinhot City to stay overnight.
Optional Night Show (CNY 178~548/pp): After night falls, you can enjoy a large-scale indoor live-action drama named Mongolian Horse in this China's Horse Capital. The show has 11 splendid chapters to introduce you the fierce battles, eternal valor of the Mongolian and the epic story of the Mongols and their horses. The show is usually performed from 19:40-20:50. If you are interested, please let your travel consultant know at least 2 days in advance, and then he or she will arrange a ticket for you.
- Driving to Liaowang Montain (Panorama View Mountain)
- Driving to Banlashan Mountain (Banla Mountain)
- Panorama View from Banla Mountain (Banlashan)
- Liaowang Mountain
- Peaceful White Birch Forest
- Lovely Sheep in the Grassland
- The Amazing Mongolian Horse Performance
Day 4 Xilinhot - Zhenglan Banner (B, L)Today's highlights: Xilingol Grassland Nature Reserve, Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark, Huitengxile Natural Botanical Garden...
Good morning. On this day after breakfast, you will be escorted south from Xilinhot to Zhenglan Banner. During the way, you will discover the grassland with zigzag rivers, windmills and also volcanoes! Please feel free to ask for stops to have rests and take photos at safe roads along the driving!
First, you will pass through the Xilingol Grassland Nature Reserve after about 40 KM and 40 minutes' driving. This nature reserve was listed as a member of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves in 1987. The landmark site - Xilin Jiuqu with nine winding turns once attracted numerous photographer to come and create great images. Though the river turns disappear because of water storage, there is a huge lake waiting for your sightseeing. Take a short visit there, and then drive further south for half an hour or so to the Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark.
While approaching, you will find 10+ huge but strange mountains standing shoulder by shoulder, all of which has unique flat heads instead of pointed hilltop. Welcome to the otherworldly volcanic world! Located in the vast grassland region, Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark offers you a front-row seat to the striking volcanos, rolling black lava fields and volcanic tuff left over from volcanic eruptions about ten thousand years ago. Follow the scientific investigation plank road to climb up to one of the volcanic mountains, and then you will get more breathing views of the volcanoes popping up in the prairie. Enjoy your time there.
After the sightseeing, keep driving for about half an hour (29 KM) to the Cymbidium Valley (or Willow Gully) in Huitengxile Natural Botanical Garden. The purple cymbidium all over the mountains, which can only be enjoyed in here and Australia, will certainly please your eyes and soul. And the gigantic windmills standing on the grasslands everywhere make more layers to the scenery. Let's indulge in the wonderful flowers and windmills world.
Then, drive for about 2 hours to Zhenglan Banner to stay overnight. Have a good sleep!
- Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark
- Xilingol Grassland Nature Reserve
- Beautiful Cymbidium Valley (or Willow Gully)
Day 5 Zhenglan Banner - Xilinhot (B, L)Today's highlights: The Site of Xanadu & Site of Xanadu Museum...
Good morning! Today you will visit The Site of Xanadu, the sacred UNESCO World Cultural Site!
After about half an hour's driving, you will be in there. Built in 1314, The Site of Xanadu was the first capital of the great empire Yuan (1271-1368), the largest empire in world's history. This grassland capital was once “The Heart of the World” attracting envoys, missionaries and merchants of all nations to come. It also once shock the world with its glorious and exquisite palaces, gardens and waterways. According to Marco Pole's travel notes, he described it as a palace of marble and other handsome stone with gilt halls and chambers… Historians have praised the ruins of this capital as comparable to the ancient Italian city of Pompeii. You will follow the footsteps of Marco Pole and the historians to trace its ancient glory. The visit includes a tour to the Site of Xanadu Museum for the up-close admiring of the vivid models and sacred relics unearthed here. After the culture exploration, you can rent a bicycle in the scenic area (optional activity with extra fee) to travel around or spend your time wandering in the nearby charming Jinlianchuan Grassland with colorful windflowers.
Then, be escorted back to Xilinhot (about 3 hours in direct) for leaving. On the way back, you can also feel free to ask for stops to have rests and take photos in the primitive grasslands.
Departing Ideas: You can fly from Xilinhot Airport to Beijing, which is usually the best choice for leaving. Normally, the flight depart after 20:00. However, the timetable may be changed, you are suggested to check the real-time schedules. There are also flights to Hohhot (1 hour) and Baotou (1 hour), etc.
- Welcome to The Site of Xanadu
- The Site of Xanadu Museum
- Site of Xanadu
- Amazing Statues in The Site of Xanadu
- Trace the Ancient Glory of The Site of Xanadu
- Jinlianchuan Grassland
Kubuqi Desert, one of the most beautiful deserts in China.
Kubuqi is so popular among travelers to admire the authentic desert view with nice colors and curves. Yemingsha Scenic Area at the hinterland of Kubuqi boasts fantastic sand dunes for exciting off-road driving adventure and other entertainment in the yellow and chocolate colored wonderland. Within 2 days, you will play it to the most with the nice desert hiking, cool off-road driving, starry night sky appreciating, desert hotel or camping experience, and other optional interesting fun.
Meaning the “hot holy water”, Arxan Mountain is more than an idyllic caring resort, but also an outstanding global geopark where to explore virgin forest, mineral spring, volcano relic sites of various types and of course the most famous Heavenly Lakes. Besides, Arxan is quite famous for its gorgeous scenery on the road.
With only 2 days, you can appreciate the essential highlights of Arxan. Day 1 is fully arranged to see the Heavenly Lake, Three Lakes Gorge and Shitang Forest. On Day 2, spend around a half day to Azalea Lake and peaceful sightseeing time. The rest time is free for departure.
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in a hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2023.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.45. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
we made it back to Shanghai. It was a great trip even with rain, COVID, and Sophie's personal issues.
we enjoyed the trip very much. Thanks a lot for organizing everything so brilliant it was really fantastic!
Thank you for your help in sorting out my few days ago. I will certainly be asking you for help in the future, now to start thinking about my 10 day break, beginning of April!
We did quite a lot of research for travel agency before heading for our first trip to Lhasa, Tibet; since foreign travelers to Tibet have to purchase a tour. China Discovery did a great job in helping us get the Tibet Tourism Bureau permit, booking our train tickets from Xining, Qinghai Province, to Lhasa; and organizing a private Tibetan guide, Tenzin, and a driver, for our 5 days in Tibet. They also helped us with all Covid-19 safety measures and authorization requirements). Great sceneries and sites, especially Yamdrok Lake, Khambala pass (4800m), Potala Palace, Sera Monastery and Deprung Monastery. Our guide Tenzin spoke very well in English and was very helpful.
My suggestion: No need to visit Summer Palace; suggest organizing visit of Yack herd with Nomads in higher plateau and in Snow area. Otherwise, very good and Tenzin was excellent
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
● For Grasslands: June to September is popular to appreciate the luxuriant sightseeing of grassland in various green, and July to August are the peak season with most domestic travelers.<
● For Desert: deserts like Badain Jaran, Kubuqi, Tengger, etc. are suitable to visit most time of the year. While spring and autumn are the best to travel with most comfortable temperature, among which June to October is the peak traveling season, but daytime in summer has very high temperature for desert walking. So, you can arrange your exploration in the morning and late afternoon if you go in summer.
● For Populus Euphratica Forest: late September to middle October is the best time to appreciate the yellow and golden leaves of Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest with cool weather and little rain. Average temperature usually drop gradually from 16℃ to 8℃ from September to October.
● Fore Wetlands and Forests: Wetlands and forests like Erguna Wetland, Moerdaoga Forest, Arxan Mountain, etc. are suitable to visit all around the year, but they show the more beautiful colors in summer and autumn. Winter is better for snow-covered scene.
● For Hohhot, Baotou, Ordos and More: Hohhot, Baotou and Ordos boast the continental monsoon climate with about 2°C in the northern area and about 6.7°C in the south area. It is suitable to visit Hohhot all year round, but May to October is the best time to enjoy the beautiful sightseeing and comfortable weather. Besides, spring is dry and windy with comparatively frequent sandstorm, summer is pleasant with little rain, autumn is cool and get cold quickly, while winter is long and cold with little snow. Summer and autumn are nice to visit Xilingol and Chifeng.
Wear suitable seasonal clothes to accommodate the quite different weather in different seasons.
For Grasslands: summer clothes like trousers, T-shirts, comfortable hiking/walking shoes, hats, etc. in summer. Long-sleeves, sweaters, coats, trousers, hats, scarves, etc. in autumn and spring. But still prepare some warm and light winter clothes for Hulunbuir visit in spring and late autumn.
For Desert: summer clothes in summer. But long-sleeves, trousers, masks or scarves, etc. are better to protect from sunburn.
● Temperatures differ a lot from day to night, and it is highly recommended bring some warm clothes for the cold nights, even during the summer from June to September. Besides, long-sleeves, pants and thin scarves are recommended for warm keeping and defending mosquitoes. Comfortable walking shoes are highly suggested for your walking on the grasslands and other sites. Mosquito repellent is better to bring.
● Bring your sunglasses, sun block, hats, lip balm to care your eyes and skin due to the strong UV and long time staying outdoor.
Inner Mongolia is large and has several landing gateways for discovering different areas.
● Hohhot: For most trips discovering the central areas (Baotou, Ordos...) and top grasslands (Xilamuren, Huitengxile, Gegentala, etc.), Hohhot is the best landing place with the best connection of flights and high speed trains. Hohhot Baita International Airport has frequent direct flights to most domestic places like Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. with almost 1.5-4 hours. International travelers can also fly from Hong Kong, Taipei, Ulan Bator, etc. to Hohhot. Also, Hohhot East Railway Station as well as Hohhot Railway Station offer high speed trains with Beijing, Datong, Zhengzhou, etc. for your easy arrival and departure. Besides, Hohhot is only about 1-2 hours’ car riding to nearby famous grasslands.
● Hulunbuir: Hulunbuir located at the northeast Inner Mongolia is the gateway for Hulunbuir Grassland, Russian villages, etc. Hailar Dongshan International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, etc. Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, Guiyang, etc. No bullet trains are available in Hulunbuir!
● Ejina Banner: You can get there by car from nearby Lanzhou, Xining, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Dunhuang, etc. After a flight or bullet train transfer; Also, you can take the daily flight to Ejina Taolai Airport with a short stopover at Alxa Left Banner Airport.
● Badain Jaran Desert: You can fly to Ejin Bamner, Alxa Left Banner, Lanzhou, Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Jinchang first and transfer to Badain Jaran Desert by car. Also, you can take a bullet train to Zhangye first and get to the desert by car. No bullet trains are available in Ejin Banner.
● Xilingol & Chifeng: You can take a flight to Xilingol from Hohhot, Beijing, Baotou, etc. easily. To reach Chifeng, you can catch a flight from some major cities or a bullet train from nearby cities in northern China, like Beijing, Dalian, Shenyang, Chengde, etc.
● Hohhot & Nearby Grasslands: Staying in Hohhot downtown like Xincheng District and area south of Xinhua Square is most popular for visitors to Hohhot, since they are convenient for transfer, close to major attractions and good for buying local souvenirs. For tourists planning staying overnight at the grasslands, Xilamuren, Huitengxile and Gegentala all provides different hotels, hostels, resorts and themed Mongolia yurts based on your various needs.
● Hulunbuir: Hailar District as the downtown offers most hotel choices and is also close to the Hailar airport and train station.
● Kubuqi Desert: Xiangshawan Scenic Area has more good hotel options for staying in desert. Yemingsha Scenic Area has only one desert hotel. Seven Stars Lake also offers some luxury desert resort. Nearby all places are suitable for desert camping.
● Ordos: Kangbashi District is relatively a better place to accommodate because it has the most good hotels, convenient downtown location, and closer distance to the airport, train station major attractions.
● Ejin Banner: Dalaihob Town is mostly chosen for its abundant hotels and homestays. Besides, places surrounding Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest, Juyan Lake and Heicheng Ruoshui Huyang Scenic Area are also good to stay.
● Badain Jaran Desert: Badain Jaran Town with starred hotels and hostels are popular. Also, you can stay overnight in the desert at the desert hotels, homestays, or Mongolia yurts. Camping in the desert is also a popular way.
Tips: Hotels and restaurants around Hohhot, Ordos, Baotou, etc. in central Inner Mongolia and Hulunbuir usually rise their prices during summer vacation in July and August and other travel peak season including National Holiday from October 1 to 7. From early to middle October is the peak season for Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest. And July to October for Badain Jaran Desert. So, it is better to plan and book your accommodation in advance.
● Remember to always follow your groups instead of heading to the heart regions by your own, or you may get lost. Cell phone signal may be weak or zero in the grassland or forest areas in Inner Mongolia, stay calm.
● Wear the harness correctly when enjoying horse riding and follow the direction to keep safe!
That also depends on which areas you are interested in to discover! For a classic Inner Mongolia nature and culture seeking for the first time, most travelers plan about 3-4 days to Hohhot to discover the city highlights with 1-2 days staying at Huitengxile Grassland or Xilamuren Grassland. Apart from Hohhot, a large portion also extend to nearby Ordos (1-2.5 days) to discover the cool Kubuqi Desert (Xiangshawan or Yemingsha) with the best city highlights, Baotou (1-2 days) with outstanding temples and monasteries, etc. for a central Inner Mongolia savory. If you want to discover the best grassland sightseeing and exotic ethnic flavors in China, plan 4-5 days to appreciate Hunlunbuir Grassland, Russian styled Shiwei, Enhe or Linjiang town with more fabulous lakes and dense forests of the northeastern part of Inner Mongolia. While, if you like the golden Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest and Badain Jaran Desert, it usually takes about 3-4 days for each destination. An in-depth Inner Mongolia trip from the east, via center, and to the west can take more than 11-15 days based on your interests. It is also a great idea to plan your trip to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Datong, Xining, Dunhuang, Xinjiang, Guilin, Chengdu, Tibet, Yangtze River, Yunnan, etc. in China to enjoy more highlights and save more money! Please contact us if you have any question or need any help!
Note: If you want a deeper Inner Mongolia grassland discovery with 2 or more nights staying in the Mongolian yurts, please tell our travel expert directly to help you with the planning!
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Yemingsha of Kubuqi Desert / Hohhot
Hohhot / Baotou / Kubuqi Desert / Hulunbuir / Shiwei / Hulunbuir
Hailar / Hulunbuir Grassland / Erguna / Genhe / Greater Khingan / Shiwei / Heishantou / Manzhouli / Hailar
No documents found.
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from northeast to southwest”1,530+ Reviews