In the enormous Inner Mongolia, the central and southeast part - Xilingol and Chifeng, are two appealing but less crowded amazing destinations boasting much more than the boundless luxuriant natural grass carpet.
This 6-day tour starts from Chengde City nearby Beijing, taking you to seek the quite authentic natural splendors of the excellent steppes, volcanoes, forests, stone wonders, rivers, parks, scenic driving routes, etc. for an extremely worthy visual feast in rich colors. Moreover, the itinerary links the top representative shining historical spots including the UNESCO Site of Xanadu, UNESCO Chengde Summer Resort, well-preserved temple and so on together in a good sequence, so you will seek the remained spirits of the once brilliant Mongol Empire in Yuan era founded by Genghis Khan and Kublai and heroic royal power of the Aisin Gioro family in ancient China in Qing Dynasty during the 13th ~ 19th centuries, which are two of the top influential dynasties in Chinese history. Our valuable tour package covering the professional travel consultant service, local tour guide introduction and comfortable licensed private vehicle transfer service with an experience driver will help you enjoy great trip experience with many wonderful memories. Please contact us to get the best quotation or if you need help!
Best time to enjoy this tour: 1). June to October is great to visit Xilingol and Chifeng, especially July to September for the grasslands. September to October is the most beautiful time of Hexigten Geopark. 2). Hotels, tour guide and drivers are limited for Bashang Grassland. Please make your booking as early as possible.
Day 1 Chengde Arrival & Chengde (L)Highlights of today: Chengde Mountain Resort, Putuo Zhongcheng Temple
Welcome to Chengde, a city in northeastern Beijing most known for the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site - Mountain Sort & its Outlying Temples. Upon arrival, your private tour guide and driver will pick you up at the arrival hall of the airport / railway station in Chengde and then take you to explore its landmark sites - Chengde Mountain Resort and Putuo Zongcheng Temple.
Chengde Mountain Resort, a famous royal summer resort of Qing Dynasty that has been evaluated as one of China’s Four Famous Gardens & one of Three Greatest Ancient Architectures and a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site with Eight Outer Temples around. Built between 1703 to 1792 for a total 89 years by Kangxi and Qianlong Emperors for temporary stay during autumn hunting, the resort is a huge complex consisting of scenic areas of palaces, administrative and ceremonial buildings, gardens and different natural landscapes. Many emperors of the Qing Dynasty spent nearly half a year staying here, processing government affairs and enjoying summer holidays. Kangxi and Qianlong Emperor even named 36 scenic spots each to express their great affection for it.
Putuo Zhongcheng Temple is a component of World Cultural Heritage with Chengde Mountain Resort. The temple, located near the resort, was built to celebrate Qianlong Emperor’s 60th birthday and his mother Empress Dowager Chongqing’s 80 birthday. Modeled after the Potala Palace in Tibet, this Tibetan Buddhist temple cluster is also known as “Little Potala Palace”. Walk along the stone steps to the flat-roofed white oblong towers spreading on the hillside and finally get to the majestic Great Red Palace to see colorful pray flags and catch a panoramic view of the “Little Potala Palace” and Mountain Resort and Qingchui Peak (Hammer Rock) nearby.
After the sightseeing, be escorted to your hotel in Chengde downtown, and your guide will help you check in. Have a good rest.
Arrival ideas: Chengde Puning Airport has domestic flights from Shijiazhuang (1h), Shanghai (4.5h), Xian (2h), Tianjin (1h), Guangzhou (5h), etc. Besides, Chengde also has high speed trains from Beijing (1hr), Changchun (3.5hrs), Harbin (4.5hrs), Shenyang (2.5hrs), Dalian (4.5hrs), Shijiazhuang (2.5hrs), etc. It takes 3-4 hours from Beijing to Chengde by car.
Nightlife ideas: go to enjoy the evening show of "Grand Ceremony of Kangxi" which fully demonstrates the historical scene of the heyday of the Qing Dynasty, and expresses the brilliant life of Emperor Kangxi.
- Imperial Palace in Chengde Mountain Resort
- Beatiful Lake and Ancient Pavilions, Archways in the Mountain Resort
- Putuo Zongcheng Temple - the little Potala Palace
Day 2 Chengde - Bashan Grassland (B, L)Highlights of today: Saihanba National Forest Park
This morning, you will drive about 3 hours to Mulan Weichang (Mulan Paddock) which is believed to be the most beautiful part of Bashang Grassland. It was the largest royal hunting garden in China where Kangxi, Qianlong and many great emperors of Qing Dynasty used to led their princes, ministers and armies to hunt here every year, known as "Mulan Autumn Hunting". The most beautiful scenery is not necessarily in a certain spot but on the road when you drive on the vast grassland, along the lakes, rivers, birch forests, and occasionally pass through small deserts, large sheet of wild flowers, groups of horses, and so on.
You will arrive at the resort around noon time. After lunch, go to explore Saihaba National Forest Par which is the most highlighting part of Bashang Grassland. Photographers praise it as "paradise". There is a big cluster of rivers, lakes and wetlands in the forest park, surrounded by dense forest and green hills. You will stop at the most famous Moon Lake and Seven-star Lake to soak in the tranquil scenery and breathe fresh air, also walk leisurely to the combined zone of alpine meadow grassland and virgin forest in Baihuaping (White Birch Valley) and get inspired by the story of how workers of three generations converted a barren land into a vast forest in Saihaba Forestry Station.
After enjoy the beautiful sunset on the grassland, go to your hotel and stay over the peaceful night.
- Seven-star Lake - most beautiful lake in Bashang Grassland
- Saihaba National Forest Park in July - a world of gree
Day 3 Bashan Grassland - Wulan Butong Grassland (B, L)Highlights of today: Wulan Butong Grassland
Go to enjoy the magnificent sunrise on the grassland if you don’t mind getting up around 4~5 a.m. This morning after breakfast, you will go to explore Wulanbutong Grassland which boasts beautiful grasslands, lakes, sandy land, wetlands, forests, flowers and wild animals, and most of them are well-preserved. In summer, you can indulge yourself into the blue sky, white clouds, green grass and cool wilds. If you come to Wulanbutong during autumn, you will be greeted by a world of colors. In winter, the grasslands and hill are covered in silver and white, which is favored by the photographer greatly. Because of its stunning landscape, many film and television crews have also used Wulanbutong Grassland as a popular location for filming. Here you can also feel authentic Mongolian ethnic customs, and visit many ancient battlefield sites.
Start your exploration from Red Hill Military Horse Ranch whose beautiful scenery and unique landscape lie among prosperous grassland, lovely lakes, stunning hills as well as big groups of perky horses, then move on to Film Exterior Center, European Scenic Zone, North Valley, Princess Lake and General Lake (Jiangjun Paozi) which represents you a picturesque scroll of exterior of diverse natural wonders. After the happy time, stay overnight in the hotel on Wulanbutong Grassland.
- Golden Wulanbutong Grassland in September
- Red Mountain Military Horse Ranch in August
Day 4 Wulan Butong - Zhenglan Banner - Xilinhot (B, L)Highlights of today: Site of Xanadu, Cymbidium Valley, pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark, Xilingol Grassland Nature Reserve
This morning, your guide and driver will meet you at your hotel and then take you to discover the Site of Xanadu in Zhenglan Banner of Xilingol League with 2.5 hours’ driving (140 km driving distance). Built in 1314, The Site of Xanadu was the first capital of the great empire Yuan (1271-1368), the largest empire in world's history. This grassland capital was once “The Heart of the World” attracting envoys, missionaries and merchants of all nations to come. It also once shock the world with its glorious and exquisite palaces, gardens and waterways. According to Marco Pole's travel notes, he described it as a palace of marble and other handsome stone with gilt halls and chambers… Historians have praised the ruins of this capital as comparable to the ancient Italian city of Pompeii. You will follow the footsteps of Marco Pole and the historians to trace its ancient glory. The visit includes a tour to the Site of Xanadu Museum for the up-close admiring of the vivid models and sacred relics unearthed here. After the culture exploration, you can rent a bicycle (optional activity needs extra payment) in the scenic area to travel around or spend your time wandering in the nearby charming Jinlianchuan Grassland with colorful windflowers.
Then, drive northward for about 2 hours to the Cymbidium Valley (or Willow Gully) in Huitengxile Natural Botanical Garden. The purple cymbidium all over the mountains, which can only be enjoyed in here and Australia, will certainly please your eyes and soul. And the gigantic windmills standing on the grasslands everywhere make more layers to the scenery. Let's indulge in the wonderful flowers and windmills world.
Take a short visit there, and then drive further north for half an hour or so to the Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark. While approaching, you will find 10+ huge but strange mountains standing shoulder by shoulder, all of which has unique flat heads instead of pointed hilltop. Welcome to the otherworldly volcanic world! Located in the vast grassland region, Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark offers you a front-row seat to the striking volcanoes, rolling black lava fields and volcanic tuff left over from volcanic eruptions about ten thousand years ago. Follow the scientific investigation plank road to climb up to one of the volcanic mountains, and then you will get more breathing views of the volcanoes popping up in the prairie.
Then, continue driving to explore Xilingol Grassland Nature Reserve after about 30 KM and 40 minutes' driving. This nature reserve was listed as a member of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves in 1987. The landmark site - Xilin Jiuqu with nine winding turns once attracted numerous photographer to come and create great images. Though the river turns disappear because of water storage, there is a huge lake waiting for your sightseeing.
After the visiting, be escorted to your hotel in Xilinhot. Enjoy a good sleep!
Optional Night Show: After night falls, you can enjoy a large-scale indoor live-action drama named Mongolian Horse in this China's Horse Capital. The show has 11 splendid chapters to introduce you the fierce battles, eternal valor of the Mongolian and the epic story of the Mongols and their horses. The show is usually performed from 19:40-20:50. If you are interested, please let your travel consultant know at least 2 days in advance, and then he or she will arrange a ticket for you.
- The Site of Xanadu Museum
- Site of Xanadu
- Pingdingshan Volcanic Geopark
- Amazing Statues in The Site of Xanadu
- Beautiful Cymbidium Valley (or Willow Gully)
- Jinlianchuan Grassland
- The Amazing Mongolian Horse Performance
Day 5 Xilinhot - Asihatu - Reshuitang (B, L)Highlights of today: Beizi Temple, Erdun Aobao Park, Da-Da Route, Asihatu Stone Forest, Re-A Route, Huanggangliang National Forest Park
Today after breakfast, you will first visit Beizi Temple in the city. Beizi Temple, or called Chongshan Temple, is one of the four most sacred temples in the entire Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Built in 1742, Beizi Temple has a relatively long history of about 280 years. Its architectures combine the styles of both Mongolia and China, which is very impressive. You will stroll around this large temple cluster to admire the magnificent and elegant buildings with large scale of carved beams, painted columns, stone lions and murals reflecting the history and life of the Mongolian nation. After the temple exploration, you will visit the famous Erdun Aobao (a rock pile site for worshiping and sacrifice for Mongolian people) atop the back hill of the temple. Erdun Aobao is composed of 13 rock piles, each of which has its own symbolic meaning. You can take walks around the aobaoes to get blessings. Here, you will also get an amazing panorama view of Xilinhot City and Beizi Temple.
Next, drive to Asihatu Stone Forest for about 3.5 hours along the popular scenic Da-Da Route (135 kilometers). It is one of the “three favorite self-driving routes in Inner Mongolia” and the “most beautiful grassland road in China”, which is also compared to the “Route China 66”. Open your heart and give a big hug to the wide grassland crossed by the gray highway under the clear sky decorated by marshmallow clouds and say hello to those happy lambs and cows grazing on the prairie. Also, the world only sand spruce forest at Baiyin Aobao is another highlight on your exciting driving way.
After your arrival, visit Asihatu Stone Forest (or Asihatu Stone Circle). Meaning precipitous rocks in Mongol, Asihatu presents the typical undulating topography on the rolling mountains covered by lush grassland with steep surroundings. The remote ice glacier exterior has been eroded after centuries to form the diverse strange and interesting forms dotted on the emerald carpet. Take a leisure stroll at such a magic land of stone pillars, pagodas, walls, etc. You will find some look like a pile of giant books, crepe cakes, a turtle, a giant bird, a fairy lady, a big cruise, etc. so much to thumb up to the nature creator.
Next, drive along Re-A Route down south to Huanggangliang (1.5 hours, 48 kilometers). Re A Route (Reshuitang - Asihatu) takes you to travel along the picturesque gallery of grassland and forest with rural life pace and animal vitality, especially during the late summer and autumn period when all the grassland and various trees change into splendid yellow, golden and orange. That is a hard-won moment for sightseeing and the most relaxing travel mood.
After 1.5 hours’ driving, visit Huanggangliang National Forest Park. Huanglianggang (altitude: 2,036 meters) is the highest peak of the Greater Khingan and is featured with quite luxurious plantations of natural forest, white birches, populus, mixed coniferous broad leaved forest, and upland meadow for a satisfying visual feast. In summer, the endless green and emerald colors give you the pleasant cool feeling. While, autumn is the most beautiful time of Huanggangliang when the rolling mountains and meadows turn so resplendent hues like a wonderful oil painting. It is so enjoyable no matter driving through the rich wonderland or sitting on the peak for an overlook.
Then, continue the scenic driving southward (40 minutes) to Reshuitang Town which is famous for hot springs and check in at your hotel. Have a nice sleep!
- Gonggeer Grassland in Summer
- Asihatu Stone Forest
- Da-Da Route, China Most Beautiful Grassland Road (Summer)
- Beizi Temple
- Re-A Route in Autumn
- Huanggangliang National Forest Park Autumn View
Day 6 Reshuitang - Chifeng Departure (B, L)Highlights of today: Yulong Sand Lake
After breakfast this morning, your guide and driver will meet you at the hotel and then escort you to Yulong Sand Lake with about 2.5 hours’ driving distance. It is domestically famous as the filming place of two Chinese movies. The best feature of Yulongshahu is the 14,000 mu (9.3 square kilometers) wide lake embodied in the endless Bolongke Desert which is a part of Horqin Tibba. Take your time walking around to admire the azure lake view and hiking on the soft desert to appreciate the lush plantations on the hills, strange rocks, wetland, various statues on the sand, and so on. If you like, you can take the optional activities such as sand sliding, sand motoring, camel riding, off-road driving, sightseeing train riding, etc. for more fun experience in the desert. (optional activities need extra payments)
After the visiting, be escorted to Chifeng airport or railway station to catch your flight / train to the next station or home. Tour ends!
- Yulong Sand Lake Scenery
- Yulong Sand Lake Camel Riding
Ordos is quite famous for the cultural relics of Genghis Khan who was the world influential leader of Mongol Empire eight hundred years ago and the booming economy there.
Enjoy 1 day to Ordos to seek the spiritual culture and historical stories of that great hero by visiting the must-see Mausoleum of Genghis Khan. And then, enjoy a leisure stroll along the glittery Kangbashi District to see Genghis Khan Sculpture Square, Mongol Chess Square and a series of outstandingly designed architectures.
Kubuqi Desert, one of the most beautiful deserts in China.
Kubuqi is so popular among travelers to admire the authentic desert view with nice colors and curves. Yemingsha Scenic Area at the hinterland of Kubuqi boasts fantastic sand dunes for exciting off-road driving adventure and other entertainment in the yellow and chocolate colored wonderland. Within 2 days, you will play it to the most with the nice desert hiking, cool off-road driving, starry night sky appreciating, desert hotel or camping experience, and other optional interesting fun.
Hulunbuir is praised as the “Green Pure Land”, which offers the top best and ideal natural wonders, including the world’s top grassland - Hulunbuir Grassland.
And in the 4 days, you’ll receive the awesome visual fest by exploration at the boundless prairie, lush wetland, featured Mongolian yurts, beautiful mountain ranges, exotic villages, winding rivers, interesting museum, etc. Here is the plan - Day 1 to Hulunbuir Grassland, Morigele River, Ergun Wetland and Shiwei Russian Town with the Russian-style wooden Mukeden accommodation experience; Day 2 to Haur River and Heishantou with grassland sunset enjoyment and Mongolian yurts accommodation, Day 3 to drive along the sightseeing China-Russia Border Road to visit Hulun Lake and splendid Manzhouli Matryoshka Square; Day 4 to drive back to Hailar and visit Hulunbuir National Museum with the rest time is free for departure.
Meaning the “hot holy water”, Arxan Mountain is more than an idyllic caring resort, but also an outstanding global geopark where to explore virgin forest, mineral spring, volcano relic sites of various types and of course the most famous Heavenly Lakes. Besides, Arxan is quite famous for its gorgeous scenery on the road.
With only 2 days, you can appreciate the essential highlights of Arxan. Day 1 is fully arranged to see the Heavenly Lake, Three Lakes Gorge and Shitang Forest. On Day 2, spend around a half day to Azalea Lake and peaceful sightseeing time. The rest time is free for departure.
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in a hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2023.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.45. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
Yesterday was great. Ellen is a perfect tour guide. Sure we enjoyed very much.
So far so good! Just the program for the second day is not updated, as it’s almost impossible to do it one day. The cruise took us almost 5 hours, the sightseeing is not existing any more, the bicycle we did for 1 hour.. I decided to go to Impression show for an extra price. The 2 hotels were extraordinarily and very recommended. The car and driver were very good, safe and comfortable. The guide was also good, seems he was not very enthusiastic.. prefered long conversation with the driver instead of long explanation about the sights and route - but was ok!
The trip was marvelous. We have really enjoyed!
It was great. I really enjoyed it!
It was a wonderful trip! Thank you for everything Wonder. Can’t wait to go on another one
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
● For Grasslands: June to September is popular to appreciate the luxuriant sightseeing of grassland in various green, and July to August are the peak season with most domestic travelers.<
● For Desert: deserts like Badain Jaran, Kubuqi, Tengger, etc. are suitable to visit most time of the year. While spring and autumn are the best to travel with most comfortable temperature, among which June to October is the peak traveling season, but daytime in summer has very high temperature for desert walking. So, you can arrange your exploration in the morning and late afternoon if you go in summer.
● For Populus Euphratica Forest: late September to middle October is the best time to appreciate the yellow and golden leaves of Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest with cool weather and little rain. Average temperature usually drop gradually from 16℃ to 8℃ from September to October.
● Fore Wetlands and Forests: Wetlands and forests like Erguna Wetland, Moerdaoga Forest, Arxan Mountain, etc. are suitable to visit all around the year, but they show the more beautiful colors in summer and autumn. Winter is better for snow-covered scene.
● For Hohhot, Baotou, Ordos and More: Hohhot, Baotou and Ordos boast the continental monsoon climate with about 2°C in the northern area and about 6.7°C in the south area. It is suitable to visit Hohhot all year round, but May to October is the best time to enjoy the beautiful sightseeing and comfortable weather. Besides, spring is dry and windy with comparatively frequent sandstorm, summer is pleasant with little rain, autumn is cool and get cold quickly, while winter is long and cold with little snow. Summer and autumn are nice to visit Xilingol and Chifeng.
Wear suitable seasonal clothes to accommodate the quite different weather in different seasons.
For Grasslands: summer clothes like trousers, T-shirts, comfortable hiking/walking shoes, hats, etc. in summer. Long-sleeves, sweaters, coats, trousers, hats, scarves, etc. in autumn and spring. But still prepare some warm and light winter clothes for Hulunbuir visit in spring and late autumn.
For Desert: summer clothes in summer. But long-sleeves, trousers, masks or scarves, etc. are better to protect from sunburn.
● Temperatures differ a lot from day to night, and it is highly recommended bring some warm clothes for the cold nights, even during the summer from June to September. Besides, long-sleeves, pants and thin scarves are recommended for warm keeping and defending mosquitoes. Comfortable walking shoes are highly suggested for your walking on the grasslands and other sites. Mosquito repellent is better to bring.
● Bring your sunglasses, sun block, hats, lip balm to care your eyes and skin due to the strong UV and long time staying outdoor.
Inner Mongolia is large and has several landing gateways for discovering different areas.
● Hohhot: For most trips discovering the central areas (Baotou, Ordos...) and top grasslands (Xilamuren, Huitengxile, Gegentala, etc.), Hohhot is the best landing place with the best connection of flights and high speed trains. Hohhot Baita International Airport has frequent direct flights to most domestic places like Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. with almost 1.5-4 hours. International travelers can also fly from Hong Kong, Taipei, Ulan Bator, etc. to Hohhot. Also, Hohhot East Railway Station as well as Hohhot Railway Station offer high speed trains with Beijing, Datong, Zhengzhou, etc. for your easy arrival and departure. Besides, Hohhot is only about 1-2 hours’ car riding to nearby famous grasslands.
● Hulunbuir: Hulunbuir located at the northeast Inner Mongolia is the gateway for Hulunbuir Grassland, Russian villages, etc. Hailar Dongshan International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, etc. Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, Guiyang, etc. No bullet trains are available in Hulunbuir!
● Ejina Banner: You can get there by car from nearby Lanzhou, Xining, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Dunhuang, etc. After a flight or bullet train transfer; Also, you can take the daily flight to Ejina Taolai Airport with a short stopover at Alxa Left Banner Airport.
● Badain Jaran Desert: You can fly to Ejin Bamner, Alxa Left Banner, Lanzhou, Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Jinchang first and transfer to Badain Jaran Desert by car. Also, you can take a bullet train to Zhangye first and get to the desert by car. No bullet trains are available in Ejin Banner.
● Xilingol & Chifeng: You can take a flight to Xilingol from Hohhot, Beijing, Baotou, etc. easily. To reach Chifeng, you can catch a flight from some major cities or a bullet train from nearby cities in northern China, like Beijing, Dalian, Shenyang, Chengde, etc.
● Hohhot & Nearby Grasslands: Staying in Hohhot downtown like Xincheng District and area south of Xinhua Square is most popular for visitors to Hohhot, since they are convenient for transfer, close to major attractions and good for buying local souvenirs. For tourists planning staying overnight at the grasslands, Xilamuren, Huitengxile and Gegentala all provides different hotels, hostels, resorts and themed Mongolia yurts based on your various needs.
● Hulunbuir: Hailar District as the downtown offers most hotel choices and is also close to the Hailar airport and train station.
● Kubuqi Desert: Xiangshawan Scenic Area has more good hotel options for staying in desert. Yemingsha Scenic Area has only one desert hotel. Seven Stars Lake also offers some luxury desert resort. Nearby all places are suitable for desert camping.
● Ordos: Kangbashi District is relatively a better place to accommodate because it has the most good hotels, convenient downtown location, and closer distance to the airport, train station major attractions.
● Ejin Banner: Dalaihob Town is mostly chosen for its abundant hotels and homestays. Besides, places surrounding Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest, Juyan Lake and Heicheng Ruoshui Huyang Scenic Area are also good to stay.
● Badain Jaran Desert: Badain Jaran Town with starred hotels and hostels are popular. Also, you can stay overnight in the desert at the desert hotels, homestays, or Mongolia yurts. Camping in the desert is also a popular way.
Tips: Hotels and restaurants around Hohhot, Ordos, Baotou, etc. in central Inner Mongolia and Hulunbuir usually rise their prices during summer vacation in July and August and other travel peak season including National Holiday from October 1 to 7. From early to middle October is the peak season for Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest. And July to October for Badain Jaran Desert. So, it is better to plan and book your accommodation in advance.
● Remember to always follow your groups instead of heading to the heart regions by your own, or you may get lost. Cell phone signal may be weak or zero in the grassland or forest areas in Inner Mongolia, stay calm.
● Wear the harness correctly when enjoying horse riding and follow the direction to keep safe!
That also depends on which areas you are interested in to discover! For a classic Inner Mongolia nature and culture seeking for the first time, most travelers plan about 3-4 days to Hohhot to discover the city highlights with 1-2 days staying at Huitengxile Grassland or Xilamuren Grassland. Apart from Hohhot, a large portion also extend to nearby Ordos (1-2.5 days) to discover the cool Kubuqi Desert (Xiangshawan or Yemingsha) with the best city highlights, Baotou (1-2 days) with outstanding temples and monasteries, etc. for a central Inner Mongolia savory. If you want to discover the best grassland sightseeing and exotic ethnic flavors in China, plan 4-5 days to appreciate Hunlunbuir Grassland, Russian styled Shiwei, Enhe or Linjiang town with more fabulous lakes and dense forests of the northeastern part of Inner Mongolia. While, if you like the golden Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest and Badain Jaran Desert, it usually takes about 3-4 days for each destination. An in-depth Inner Mongolia trip from the east, via center, and to the west can take more than 11-15 days based on your interests. It is also a great idea to plan your trip to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Datong, Xining, Dunhuang, Xinjiang, Guilin, Chengdu, Tibet, Yangtze River, Yunnan, etc. in China to enjoy more highlights and save more money! Please contact us if you have any question or need any help!
Note: If you want a deeper Inner Mongolia grassland discovery with 2 or more nights staying in the Mongolian yurts, please tell our travel expert directly to help you with the planning!
Beijing / Chengde / Bashang / Beijing
Hohhot / Ulanqab / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot / Baotou / Yemingsha of Kubuqi Desert / Ordos
Xilinhot - West Ujimqin (The Mongol Khan City) - Xilinhot - Pingdingshan - Zhenglan Banner (Site of Xanadu) - Xilinhot
No documents found.
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from northeast to southwest”1,570+ Reviews