Xilamuren Grassland only 2 hours’ driving from Hohhot is the best to catch the standard grassland landscape and exciting activities and is quite favored for advanced equipment and accommodation.
This 4-day Hohhot & Xilamuren Grassland Tour starts from Hohhot and takes you to relax and play to the best on the wonderful boundless expanse of Xilamuren Grassland with pleasant roaming, sunrise admiring, feeling the culture and lifestyle of Mongolian people in Inner Mongolia and joyous dancing with locals. Besides, our local guide will accompany you all the way, show you the cityscape, diverse culture, historical development of Hohhot and entire Inner Mongolia and help you understand the influential imperial matrimony culture in the past dynasties in China. All top highlights of Xilamuren Prairie and Hohhot are well arranged for your time with guide and for self! Our trip package with travel consultant planning service, local guide introduction and a comfortable private vehicle with an experienced driver will help you get the best travel experience in Inner Mongolia without any worry! Feel free to contact us to get the detailed quotation or for any help!
Best time to take this tour: May to October is great to visit Hohhot, while June to September is recommended to admire the lush and green grassland scenery. July and August are especially the peak season with lots of visitors.
Day 1 Hohhot ArrivalPick up from airport / railway station & hotel check-in
Welcome to Hohhot, the Capital of Inner Mongolia! Upon your arrival, your local travel guide and driver will meet at the arrival hall of the airport / railway station and then escort you to your hotel in Hohhot downtown with a comfortable licensed private vehicle (non-smoking). Your guide will help you check in. The rest of today is on your own to explore the "Blue City" in Inner Mongolian.
Arrival Ideas: Hohhot Baita International Airport has many flights from many domestic destinations like Beijing, Datong, Shanghai, Xian, Guilin, Chengdu, Kunming, Guiyang, Guangzhou, Urumqi, Zhengzhou, Harbin, etc. and direct flight from some international destinations including Hong Kong, Taipei and Ulan Bator. You can also take a high speed train from Beijing (2-3 hrs), Zhangjiakou (1.5 hrs), Datong (2.5-3 hrs), Taiyuan (5 hrs), Shijiazhuang, etc.
- Hohhot - the "Green City" & Milk Capital in China
Day 2 Hohhot - Xilamuren Grassland (B, L, D)Today’s highlights: Xilamuren Grassland, Zhama Banquet Dinner and Performance, Bonfire Party
Good morning! After breakfast, your guide and driver will meet you at the hotel and then escort you to Xilamuren Grassland in Baotou with driving about 2 hours, which is the closest grassland from Hohhot!
Xilamuren Grassland or called Zhaohe means “Yellow River” in Mongolian and is the typical prairie with a boundless carpet of green grass, a chain of undulating hills, and groups of cows, sheep and horses roaming happily under blue sky, thus it is reputed as a green gemstone in Baotou and boasts big fame home and broad. Enter the area with a welcome toast and just get fully released with a free stroll around such pleasant and broad paradise. You can also choose to experience riding on a horse back, archery, and other activities based on your interests and time (optional activities with extra payment).
After lunch, go to visit Honggeer Aobao that is the largest aobao (a rock pile site for worshiping and sacrifice for Mongolian people) in Xilamuren Grassland and make your worship there. Next, appreciate the excellent outdoor large-scaled live-action performance of “Legend of Monan (Inner Mongolia)” (about 40 minutes). That gives a great introduction of the growth up, thriving, expansion, and establishment of Inner Mongolia people on the vast grassland with outstanding combination of featured Mongolian musics, dances and other Mongolian skills including horse riding, archery, etc. After that, enjoy your Zhama Banquet dinner to experience the dining manner and interest of the no.1 banquet in Inner Mongolian court in the past by dressing in aristocratic costumes and delicate Mongolian dishes (individual serving). Besides, appreciate like the past royal families the singing and dancing, playing of morin khuur (horse fiddle), amazing Urtiin duu (traditional Mongolian long song), Khoomei (Tuvan throat singing), and other arts of Mongolian group.
After dinner, join in the Mongolian styled bonfire party and have great fun dancing and singing with local Mongolian people under the charming starry night sky.
After today’s discovery, enjoy your night over in the Mongolian styled yurts with private bathroom. Have a nice sleep!
Notice: You can also choose to accommodate in a hotel with better facilities and services in Hohhot downtown area, however, you will miss out the sunrise the next morning. Please tell your travel expert when booking.
- Xilamuren Grassland Horse Riding in Summer
- Xilamuren Grassland Sunset in July
- Xilamuren Grassland Grazing Sheep
- Xilamuren Grassland Honggeer Aobao
- Wonderful Zhama Banquet Dinner on Inner Mongolia Grasslands
Day 3 Xilamuren Grassland - Hohhot (B, L)Today’s highlights: Xilamuren Grassland, Swan Lake, Local Herdsman’s Family Visiting, Dazhao Temple
Good morning! Today, you can get up early (about 04:00 am) to catch the fabulous sunrise on grassland with the golden sun dying the surrounding sky and sun glow into orange, pink, rose, purple, etc. and gives the soft glories onto the vibrant grass.
After breakfast, go to the Swan Lake that is the only and terrifically gorgeous waterscape of Xilamuren Grassland. Have a leisure roam around the lovely lake to soak in the idyllic nice landscape of glossy emerald grass carpet, shimmering water like countless diamond under the glorious sky with floating milky clouds. Next, visit a local Mongolian herdsman’s family to see their living environment, watch their daily pasturing and learn how to milk the cow or sheep with them.
After that, be escorted back to Hohhot and visit Dazhao Temple (or called Wuliang Temple) built from 1579 AD, which is the most popular temple and earliest Tibetan Gelugpa monastery in Hohhot representing the Buddhist culture in Inner Mongolia. Take a leisure walk around the temple clusters and courtyards and worship with locals in front of the Buddha statues. You shall not miss the well-known treasurable “Three Excellence” of Dazhao, namely the silver Buddha statue created with thirty tons of fine silver by a Nepalese craftsman, the pair of outstanding carved golden dragons seeming to fly along the two ten-meter high main pillars, and the lifelike mural depicting the scenes of the heaven, the world and the underworld with 770 Buddha and figure statues. Also, the 4.2 meters tall Sakyamuni statue made of Burmese jade and 48,000 gemstones is another visual gift for past artistic skills in Inner Mongolia.
After the visiting, be escorted back to your hotel in Hohhot downtown. Have a good sleep!
Evening Idea: visit Saishang Old Street to enjoy architectures in traditional Ming and Qing dynasties features and find abundant local specialties and go to nearby popular Tongshun Lane Food Street to taste diverse delicious snacks with rich Inner Mongolian flavors.
- Xilamuren Grassland in July
- Xilamuren Grassland Sunrise
- Dazhao Temple Appearance
Day 4 Hohhot - Hohhot Departure (B)Today’s highlights: Inner Mongolia Museum, Zhaojun Tomb
After breakfast, be escorted to visit Inner Mongolia Museum. This national first-class museum is a great window to have a comprehensive understanding of the ecological change, culture and historical development of the alpine grassland, deserts, forests, etc. in Inner Mongolia from trillions of years ago. Stroll at each themed hall to take a close look at those collections of local specimens of animal, plant, ores, etc., displays of costumes, lifestyles, national customs, language, art, culture communications, etc. of Mongolian and other Northern tribes living there, logical materials about the famous influential leaders and their dynasties including Genghis Khan and his Yuan Dynasty.
Then, transfer to Zhaojun Tomb (or Qingzhong) which is the tomb of Wang Zhaojun who is one of the four great beauties in ancient China receiving reputation from generation to the next for her voluntary marriage to the chief of Xiongnu (Hun, another tribe in ancient China). Walk around the top museum halls to know the background of Zhaojun’s marriage for national peace and her biography and contribution as the first lady for all Huns, learn the origin of the Hun tribe, the war, the compromise and union between Hun and ancient China Central Plains and its influence on culture between China and Europe, and understand the culture and changes of the imperial matrimony culture in ancient China for thousands of years.
After the tour, your guide and driver will escort you to the airport or railway station to catch your flight or train to your next destination or home. Tour ends!
- Inner Mongolia Museum
- Inner Mongolia Museum Precious Collection of An Ancient Crown
- Zhaojun Tomb - Exhibition of Scene of Zhaojun's Marriage to the Chief of the Hun
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in a 4-star hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2022.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.65. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
We really enjoyed the river cruise and all of the help you were able to provide us. The trips were very good. We thought that breakfast was too early every morning and if you do not attend breakfast we should have the option to get some food somewhere else on board.
I had a good time once I upgraded my room. The room I had was a futon like bed that I would’ve had difficulty getting up from, barely any outlets and a too small shower. Also, the food in the main dining room was just okay. We ate in the VIP room the last night which the food was much better but it should be served as the regular food. The excursions were good. The staff was amazing. They checked in on us regularly and made sure we had English guides when leaving the boat. They took great care of us.
I'm doing well! How are you? Just cleaning my house now .
I can't thank you enough for everything! I really had an amazing holiday and I appreciate all the extra efforts you helped me with. I felt like a superstar sometimes .
I'm so excited for Patra as she will get to experience a vacation where she can to do minimal because everything is taken care of.
Thank you for the kind gesture I appreciate it! The lunch was definitely delicious and it was good to get to know Sandy and Mr. Li. during both lunches.
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for everything. The cruise was amazing the staff were very welcoming and the birthday surprise was so special. Thank you!!!!!!
Thank you so much for a wonderful trip Wonder.
Alex was fantastic!!!
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
● For Grasslands: June to September is popular to appreciate the luxuriant sightseeing of grassland in various green, and July to August are the peak season with most domestic travelers.
● For Desert: deserts like Badain Jaran, Kubuqi, Tengger, etc. are suitable to visit most time of the year. While spring and autumn are the best to travel with most comfortable temperature, among which June to October is the peak traveling season, but daytime in summer has very high temperature for desert walking. So, you can arrange your exploration in the morning and late afternoon if you go in summer.
● For Populus Euphratica Forest: late September to middle October is the best time to appreciate the yellow and golden leaves of Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest with cool weather and little rain. Average temperature usually drop gradually from 16℃ to 8℃ from September to October.
● For Hohhot, Baotou, Ordos and More: Hohhot located in the south central part of Inner Mongolia boasts the continental monsoon climate with about 2°C in the northern area and about 6.7°C in the south area. It is suitable to visit Hohhot all year round, but May to October is the best time to enjoy the beautiful sightseeing and comfortable weather. Besides, spring is dry and windy with comparatively frequent sandstorm, summer is pleasant with little rain, autumn is cool and get cold quickly, while winter is long and cold with little snow.
Inner Mongolia is large and has several landing gateways for discovering different areas.
● Hohhot: For most trips discovering the central areas (Baotou, Ordos...) and top grasslands (Xilamuren, Huitengxile, Gegentala, etc.), Hohhot is the best landing place with the best connection of flights and high speed trains. Hohhot Baita International Airport has frequent direct flights to most domestic places like Shanghai, Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. with almost 1.5-4 hours. International travelers can also fly from Hong Kong, Taipei, Ulan Bator, etc. to Hohhot. Also, Hohhot East Railway Station as well as Hohhot Railway Station offer high speed trains with Beijing, Datong, Zhengzhou, etc. for your easy arrival and departure. Besides, Hohhot is only about 1-2 hours’ car riding to nearby famous grasslands.
● Hulunbuir: Hulunbuir located at the northeast Inner Mongolia is the gateway for Hulunbuir Grassland, Russian villages, etc. Hailar Dongshan International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, etc. Manzhouli Xijiao International Airport has flights to/from Beijing, Hohhot, Harbin, Guiyang, etc. No bullet trains are available in Hulunbuir!
● Ejina Banner: You can get there by car from nearby Lanzhou, Xining, Jiayuguan, Zhangye, Dunhuang, etc. After a flight or bullet train transfer; Also, you can take the daily flight to Ejina Taolai Airport with a short stopover at Alxa Left Banner Airport.
● Badain Jaran Desert: You can fly to Ejin Bamner, Alxa Left Banner, Lanzhou, Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Jinchang first and transfer to Badain Jaran Desert by car. Also, you can take a bullet train to Zhangye first and get to the desert by car. No bullet trains are available in Ejin Banner.
● Hohhot & Nearby Grasslands: Staying in Hohhot downtown like Xincheng District and area south of Xinhua Square is most popular for visitors to Hohhot, since they are convenient for transfer, close to major attractions and good for buying local souvenirs. For tourists planning staying overnight at the grasslands, Xilamuren, Huitengxile and Gegentala all provides different hotels, hostels, resorts and themed Mongolia yurts based on your various needs.
● Hulunbuir: Hailar District as the downtown offers most hotel choices and is also close to the Hailar airport and train station.
● Kubuqi Desert: Xiangshawan Scenic Area has more good hotel options for staying in desert. Yemingsha Scenic Area has only one desert hotel. Seven Star Lake also offers some luxury desert resort. Nearby all places are suitable for desert camping.
● Ordos: Kangbashi District is relatively a better place to accommodate because it has the most good hotels, convenient downtown location, and closer distance to the airport, train station major attractions.
● Ejin Banner: Dalaihob Town is mostly chosen for its abundant hotels and homestays. Besides, places surrounding Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest, Juyan Lake and Heicheng Ruoshui Huyang Scenic Area are also good to stay.
● Badain Jaran Desert: Badain Jaran Town with starred hotels and hostels are popular. Also, you can stay overnight in the desert at the desert hotels, homestays, or Mongolia yurts. Camping in the desert is also a popular way.
Tips: Hotels and restaurants around Hohhot, Ordos, Baotou, etc. in central Inner Mongolia and Hulunbuir usually rise their prices during summer vacation in July and August and other travel peak season including National Holiday from October 1 to 7. From early to middle October is the peak season for Ejina Populus Euphratica Forest. And July to October for Badain Jaran Desert. So, it is better to plan and book your accommodation in advance.
● Temperatures differ a lot from day to night, and it is highly recommended bring some warm clothes for the cold nights, even during the summer from June to September. Besides, long-sleeves, pants and thin scarves are recommended for warm keeping and defending mosquitos. Comfortable walking shoes are highly suggested for your walking on the grasslands and other sites. Mosquito repellent is better to bring.
● Bring your sunglasses, sun block, hats, lip balm to care your eyes and skin due to the strong UV and long time staying outdoor.
● Remember to always follow your groups instead of heading to the heart regions by your own, or you may get lost. Cell phone signal may be weak or zero in the grassland or forest areas in Inner Mongolia, stay calm.
● Wear the harness correctly when enjoying horse riding and follow the direction to keep safe!
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot
Hohhot / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot
Beijing / Hohhot / Xilamuren Grassland / Hohhot
No documents found.
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from northeast to southwest”1,480+ Reviews