[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
Xian is an ancient capital of China with a history of over 6000 years. So it is no surprise that Xian is a city with countless cultural and historical sites. Many people may have heard of the world-famous Terracotta Warriors. That is what you can see in Xian, but there is so much more. Here we have selected 10 attractions that rank high on TripAdvisor recommendation list so that you can explore the city in all aspects.
Xian Top Tourist Attractions Location Map
The Terracotta Warriors famed as the “Eighth Wonder of the World” is the best highlight in your Xian tour. This terracotta army was buried intending to protect the afterlife of China’s first feudal King - Qin Shi Huang. Emperor Qin commanded craftsmen to start building his mausoleum in 246 BC soon after he ascended the throne at age 13. And the Terracotta Warriors was a part of the mausoleums project. After being underground for over 2200 years, they have finally come to the public.>>Learn More about Terracotta Warriors
• Chinese:秦始皇兵马俑• Pinyin: qín shǐ huáng bīng mǎ yǒng
• Opening Hours: Mar 16th - Nov 15th: 8:30 - 18:00 / Nov 16th - Mar 15th: 8:30 - 17:30
• Ticket: CNY 120
• Address: Qinling North Road, Lintong District, Xi'an 西安市临潼区秦岭北路
• Popular Reviews on TA: "Amazing spectacle. Awesome experience to be there."
Though Mount Huashan is not exactly in Xian city, they are only 2 hours’ drive away and this mountain is totally worth the time. Mount Huashan is one of the famous “Five Mountains” in China and is regarded as the one with the most challenging hiking trail. Imagine yourself clinging to the cliff on a narrow trail while a bottomless abyss is only one step away without any guardrail. That is what you will experience in Huashan. What’s more, Huashan itself is of breathtaking scenery and is the holy land of Taoism.>>Learn More about Mount Huashan
• Chinese: 华山 • Pinyin: huà shān
• Opening Hours: 07:00-19:00
• Ticket: Mar - Nov: CNY 160; Dec - Feb: CNY 100
• Address: Huashan Town, Huayin City, Weinan City, Shaanxi Province 陕西省渭南市华阴市华山
• Popular Reviews on TA: "Stunningly gorgeous mountain." "One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done!"
Xian Ancient City Wall is located in the central area of Xian city. It was built from A.D. 1370-1378 soon after Zhu Yuanzhang started to rule China. Among all the city walls built in the history of China, Xian Ancient City Wall is the most famous and best-preserved one with a length of 13.74km, an average height of 12m, and a width of 18m. You can have a panoramic view of Xian there and cycling on the city wall is one of the most popular activities in Xian.>>Learn More about Ancient City Wall
• Chinese: 西安古城墙 • Pinyin: xī ān gǔ chéng qiáng
• Opening Hours: South Gate: 8:00 – 22:00; Hanguang Gate: 8:00 – 17:30; the other gates: Nov 1st – Apr 30th: 8:00 – 18:00 / May 1st – Oct 31st: 8:00 – 19:00
• Ticket: CNY 54
• Address: Zhongxin District, Xi'an, China 陕西省西安市中心区
• Popular Reviews on TA: "Great thing to do to ease yourself into this wonderful city"
"You have not really visited Xian without a visit to the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda". That's how a local saying goes. Giant Wild Goose Pagoda is famous for the great traveler Xuanzang of Tang Dynasty (A.D 618 - 907) who traveled from China to India to learn the Buddhism and then got back to China with many precious Buddhist scriptures. This pagoda is where Xuanzang translated and taught Buddhism. By the north side of the pagoda, there is the largest music fountain in Asia for you to admire the fabulous lights and fountain show.>>Learn More about Giant Wild Goose Pagoda
• Chinese: 大雁塔 • Pinyin: dà yàn tǎ
• Opening Hours: Mar - Oct: 8:00-18:30; Nov - Feb: 8:00-18:00
• Ticket: RMB 50/person for Da Ci’en Temple; RMB 30/person for the pagoda
• Address: Da Ci’en Temple, Yanta District, Xi’an 西安市雁塔区大慈恩寺内
• Popular Reviews on TA: "Great history, superb architecture." "Love the surrounding and the exhibits inside"
The Muslim Quarter featuring in rich Islamic culture has a large number of tasteful snacks along its several streets, such as Rou Jia Mo, Pita Bread Soaked in Lamb Soup, and Soup Dumplings. Therefore, here you can both please your taste bud and experience the hospitality of local Islamic residents who are the descendants of people from the ancient Arab, Persia, etc. Diverse food, hospitable people, characteristic buildings in Ming and Qing dynasties, traditional mosques, make this block a must-go for tourists.>>Learn More about Muslim Quarter
• Chinese: 回民街 • Pinyin: huí mín jiē
• Opening Hours: All day
• Ticket: Free
• Address: #125 Beiyuanmen, Lianhu District, Xian 西安市莲湖区北院门125号
• Popular Reviews on TA: "Food Feast" "hussle-bussle & food, loved it!"
"Great outside and interesting objects inside". That's the impression of the tourists who have visited Bell Tower. As the biggest and best-preserved bell tower, it is one of the symbols of Xian city. It was built for the purpose of alerting and time telling. A visit to the Bell Tower is strongly recommended to be taken at night, when you can have a florid view from outside. From inside of the Bell Tower, you can have a panoramic view of the whole Xian City. If you are lucky, you would come across an interesting show in the Bell Tower. >>Learn More about Bell Tower
• Chinese: 钟楼• Pinyin: zhōng lóu
• Opening Hours: Apr 1st - Oct 25th: 08:00 ~ 22:00; Oct 26th - Mar 31st: 08:00 ~ 18:00
• Ticket: CNY 30 (CNY 50 with Drum Tower)
• Address: Zhonglou Shangquan, Beilin District, Xian 西安市碑林区钟楼商区
• Popular Reviews on TA: "lovely at night!" "Must visit place in Xi’an"
With a total area of 65,000 square meters and 8,000 square meters of cultural relics’ zone, Shaanxi History Museum is the first large-scale modern national museum in China. People call Shaanxi History Museum “Bright Pearl in Ancient Capital and Precious Treasure of China” because it is an art palace that fully shows Shaanxi history, culture, and Chinese ancient civilization. The collections in Shaanxi History Museum range from the stone-made tools in ancient times to different implements produced before A.D. 1840 – covering a time span of over 1 million years.>>Read More about Shaanxi History Museum
• Chinese: 陕西历史博物馆 • Pinyin: shǎn xī lì shǐ bó wù guǎn
• Opening Hours: Closed on Monday / 9:00 - 17:30 (Nov. 15th to Mar. 15th) / 8:30 - 18:00 (Mar. 16th to Nov 14th.)
• Ticket: Free for Most Exhibition Halls
• Address: No.91 Xiaozhai East Road, Yanta District, Xi’an 西安市雁塔区小寨东路91号
• Popular Reviews on TA: "The glorious past of China in display" "A treasure trove of Chinese history"
The Great Mosque is a very special place to go in Xian where you can learn much about Chinese architecture, Muslim culture, and history of China. It was located in the heart of the old Muslim Quarter, near to the Drum Tower. Unlike other mosques in the world, the Great Mosque of Xian is a group of buildings, including towers, pavilions, palaces, etc. Although with a Chinese style decoration outside, the Great Mosque inside is totally a world of Muslim. There are many Muslim scriptures collection and some Muslim festivals and activities are often held here. Every Friday, there is a "Great Salah" in the Great Mosque. If you want to feel the multi-culture in China, don’t miss it.
• Chinese: 西安清真大寺 • Pinyin: xī ān qīng zhēn dà sì
• Opening Hours: 08:00-21:00
• Ticket: CNY 45
• Address: #30 Huajuexiang, Beiyuanmen, Lianhu District, Xian 西安市莲湖区北院门化觉巷30号
• Popular Reviews on TA:"What a beautiful setting, and NOTHING like the more traditional mosques you might see elsewhere. Worth the trip"
The Tomb of Emperor Jingdi is about 25km to the north of Xian downtown. It’s the joint mausoleum of Emperor Jingdi and his consort Empress Wang. It was built from 153 B.C. to 126 B.C, covering an area of 20km². Apart from the two main tombs, there are many sites of former ritual buildings and subordinate funeral pits, from over 200 of which numerous vivid warrior figures, maiden figures, and animal figures are unearthed. It is less crowded and on the way to Xian Xianyang International Airport, so it is a good place to go if you are interested in Han culture or have some extra time transferring between the airport and downtown.
• Chinese:汉阳陵• Pinyin: hàn yáng líng
• Opening Hours: Mar - Nov: 08:30 ~ 17:30; Dec - Feb: 08:30 ~ 17:00
• Ticket: Mar - Nov: CNY 90; Dec - Feb: CNY 65
• Address: Zhangjiawan, Zhengyang Town, Weicheng District, Xian 西安市渭城区正阳镇张家湾
• Popular Reviews on TA:"A gem many people miss" "Amazing archeological site"
Huaqing Palace is situated 30 kilometers east of Xi'an City, adjacent to the Terracotta Warriors. It is a temporary palace for the emperors to take a short stay away from the capital to enjoy the hot spring and scenery. The picturesque Li Mountain is just right behind the palace. However, this place is most famous for the love story between Tang Ming Emperor and his beautiful concubine Yang Guifei. Yang Guifei is one of the Four Beauties in Ancient China and there is a statue of hers in Huaqing Palace.>>Learn More about Huaqing Palace
• Chinese: 华清宫 • Pinyin: huá qīng gōng
• Opening Hours: Mar - Nov: 07:00 ~ 19:00; Dec - Feb: 07:30 ~ 18:00
• Ticket: CNY 120
• Address: 38 Beihua Qing Road, Lishan, Lintong District, Xi'an City 西安市临潼区骊山北华清路38号
• Popular Reviews on TA:"Very beautiful traditional site for an active walking tour"
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >