Huanglong Weather | Best Time to Visit Huanglong 2020
Located in Songpan county, Sichuan Province, Huanglong scenic area is the transition zone from the eastern edge of the Qinghai Tibet Plateau to the Sichuan Basin. The elevation of Huanglong ranges from 1,700 to 5,588 meters above sea level, the region over 3,700-4,000 meters is ice erosion landform. It belongs to the monsoon climate of the plateau Type. The Climate features are humid, cold, the long winter and short summer. The annual average temperature is 7 ℃ / 45°F, and the sunshine is sufficient. There is much fog in the morning and evening, and the rainfall is mostly concentrated from May to August every year. The annual average temperature of Huanglong scenic spot is 5-7 ℃ / 41-45°F, and the average temperature in the hottest season is 17 ℃ / 63°F, and the average temperature in the coldest months is 3 ℃ / 37°F.
Best Time to Visit Huanglong
June to November is the best time to visit Huanglong, namely from the late Spring to the mid Autumn. During these seasons, the weather is very comfortable, neither too hot nor cold. Summer is the most comfortable season, and Huanglong to escape the sultriness in the urban area. However, please be aware that you may encounter a lot of tourists and intense rainfall there, from late June to August. Also, there may be a lot of tourists in the first week of October.
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Huanglong Valley Seasons to Go
- Spring in Huanglong is still very cool and sometimes snowy with an average temperature from 9℃ / 48°F to -7℃ / 19°F. It may encounter a short period of water shortage due to the small amount of rainfall. The beautiful waterscape may be influenced by that and the blossom season may be postponed about one or two months due to the low temperature at Huanglong.
- What to Wear
- It still snows in the early spring and very cold. It is recommended to wear down jackets, sweaters, scarves, gloves, windbreakers, antiskid shoes, snow boots, trousers, for the spring.
- ★ Recommended Huanglong Tour: >>2 Days Mount Emei Huanglong Smart Tour
Huanglong Weather in March
- High Temperature: 12°C / 54°F
- Low Temperature: -3°C / 27°F
- Rainfall: 35.1 mm
- Rainy Days: 14 days
- Sunrise: 6:53am-7:31am
- Sunset: 7:02pm-7:24pm
Huanglong Weather in April
- High Temperature: 16°C /61°F
- Low Temperature: 1°C / 34°F
- Rainfall: 64.5 mm
- Rainy Days: 17 days
- Sunrise: 6:18am-6:52am
- Sunset: 7:24pm-7:45pm
Huanglong Weather in May
- High Temperature: 18°C / 64°F
- Low Temperature: 5°C / 41°F
- Rainfall: 113.3 mm
- Rainy Days: 21 days
- Sunrise: 5:57am-6:17am
- Sunset: 7:46pm-8:07pm
- Summer in cool, humid, comfortable with a lot of rainfall and an average temperature from 5°C / 57°F to 18°C / 57°F. The waterscape is very stunning with beautiful blooming wildflowers and lush mountains.
- What to Wear
- The summer in Huanglong is not hot at all. It is recommended to wear long-sleeved shirts, jeans, windbreakers, antiskid hiking shoes for the day time, and down coat, windbreaker, jackets, sweaters, trousers, sweater, for the night. Please bring your raincoat and umbrella, since it rains very often during the summertime.
- ★ Recommended Huanglong Tour: >>5 Days Chengdu Jiuzhaigou Comfortable Tour
Huanglong Weather in June
Huanglong Weather in July
Huanglong Weather in August
- Autumn is the best season to travel Huanglong. The average temperature in Huanglong is from 9°C / 57°F to 21°C / 57°F during autumn. The forests, lakes, and ponds turn a Fairland with colorful fall foliages and greenish and blueish water. However, you may avoid going there on the national holiday (the first week of October), for there will be lots of people.
- What to Wear
- The temperature keeps going down since mid-September and becomes very cold since late October. It is recommended to wear windbreakers, antiskid shoes, jackets, sweaters, trousers, long sleeve, sweater in the early autumn and wear overcoats, winter coat, woolen jacket, gloves, down jacket and scarfs after October and the night time.
- ★ Recommended Huanglong Tour: >>3 Days Classic Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Tour by Flight
Huanglong Weather in September
Huanglong Weather in October
Huanglong Weather in November
- It is the coldest and snow-covered season in Huanglong with the temperature from -4°C / 57°F to 11 °C / 57°F. The forest becomes white and the lakes and ponds get frozen. It is like an untouched land to enjoy the snowscape and have snow fun with the cheaper ticket price and less visitors.
- What to Wear
- It is very cold in winter, and the temperature keeps drops down from the mid-November, and it is recommended to wear down jacket, overcoats, sweaters, winter coat, woolen jacket, gloves, and scarfs to keep warm, and a pair of antiskid hiking shoes/snow boots and bring some warm paste if you are sensitive to the coldness.
- ★ Recommended Huanglong Tour: >>3 Days Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Winter Tour
Huanglong Weather in December
Huanglong Weather in January
Huanglong Weather in February
Average Temperature and Rainfall of Huanglong
|Avg. High Temp (°C)||7||10||12||16||18||21||23||23||19||15||11||8|
|Avg. Low Temp (°C)||-10||-7||-3||1||5||8||10||9||7||3||-4||-9|
|Avg. Raining Days||7||8||14||17||21||23||23||20||22||19||9||5|
How to Plan Your Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Tour
Famous for colorful travertine lakes and ponds, sinuous deep mountain valleys, magnificent snow mountains and mysterious peaceful wild forests, Huanglong National Park is only about 50km to Jiuzhaigou Airport, and many tourists choose to travel Jiuzhaigou Scenic Area with Huanglong.
Usually, 2 or 3 days are needed to explore the highlights of Jiuzhaigou Valley and Huanglong Valley excluding the arrival and departure days. Most travelers transfer to Jiuzhaigou from Chengdu by flight or driving. Some other cities also have flights to Jiuzhaigou, such as Beijing, Chongqing, etc. After arrival, spend a half day to tour the Huanglong Valley, and another full day to visit Jiuzhaigou. If you want to take a walking or photography tour, we recommend spend one more day.
Besides Jiuzhaigou and some other attractions around it such as Huanglong, Songpan, Mounigou, and Ruoergai, you can also travel Jiuzhaigou with other hot destinations in Sichuan, such as Chengdu, Mount Emei, Leshan Giant Buddha, etc.
★ Recommended Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Tours
Picturesque Jiuzhaigou & Huanglong Lakes and Ponds
Travel Huanglong with China Discovery
Travel with China Discovery, our professional local guide and driver will escort you from your hotel, train station, airport to all attractions with comfortable licensed private car, to catch the highlights of Huanglong. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact us and tell us your needs, and we will customize a memorable tour for you!
Keep Reading about Jiuzhaigou Tour and Travel Guide
- Top 5 Jiuzhaigou Tours
- How to Plan Jiuzhaigou Trip
- Jiuzhaigou National Park
- Huanglong National Park
- Top Things to do in Jiuzhaigou
- Featured Activities to do in Jiuzhaigou
- Where to Stay in Jiuzhaigou
- Comfortable Class Jiuzhaigou Hotels
- Luxury Class Jiuzhaigou Hotels
- Jiuzhaigou Hiking Guide
- Jiuzhaigou Maps
- Jiuzhaigou Landscape
- Jiuzhaigou Local Food
- Jiuzhaigou Travel FAQs & Tips
Jiuzhaigou Transportation Guide
- Get There & Around Jiuzhaigou
- Jiuzhaigou Airport & Flights
- Jiuzhaigou Airport to Huanglong
- Jiuzhaigou Airport to Jiuzhaigou
- Jiuzhaigou to Huanglong Transportation
- How to Drive to Jiuzhaigou
- Travel from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou
- Travel from Xian to Jiuzhaigou
Jiuzhaigou Weather Guide
Recommended Huanglong Valley Tours
Top 3 Huanglong Valley tours chosen by most customers to explore Huanglong Valley in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 3 Days Classic Jiuzhaigou Tour (Flight Arrival)
Chengdu / Huanglong / Jiuzhaigou
- 5 Days Chengdu Jiuzhaigou Comfortable Tour
Chengdu / Huanglong / Jiuzhaigou
- 3 Days Jiuzhaigou Winter Tour