[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
Wolong Giant Panda Reserve, belonging to the Wolong National Nature Reserve that is reputed as the “Panda Kingdom” and “Gene Pool of Precious Flora and Fauna”, is home to about 60 percent of the world’s total panda population. Standing about 1700 meters above the sea, Wolong Giant Panda Reserve is the world’s largest breeding center for the giant pandas with more than 30 captive pandas.
Since the severe big earthquake occurred in Wenchuan in 2008, the original Hetaoping Panda Base (核桃坪熊猫基地) was destroyed. To protect the precious giant pandas, government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region endowed to build the new panda base at Gengda Township (耿达镇) and called it Shenshuping Panda Base under the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda (CCRCGP) (中国大熊猫保护研究中心耿达神树坪基地). With the total area covering 150 hectares, Shenshuping (神树坪) Panda Base, or Gengda Wolong Panda Center is mainly divided into three areas for the different functions, namely the visiting area for captive panda, wild training area and reintroduction area. With rich types of facilities like 59 panda enclosures, tourist center, scientific research center, science education center, veterinary hospital, etc. Wolong Panda Reserve is at present the largest, most dynamic and self-sustaining base for giant pandas around the whole globe.
Besides, the more natural surrounding and harmonious environment for giant pandas enable Wolong Panda Base the top place for panda lovers to visit giant pandas, get more fun with the chubby animals and learn more about the national treasure in China.
Most Popular Wolong Panda Reserve Tour Package:
At present, there are over 30 captive pandas in Shenshuping Panda Base and travelers can admire them in different enclosures, see them playing, eating bamboos and climbing trees, understand the living habits of giant pandas in the superb natural environment, join as panda volunteers to get close to their daily life.
Most of the giant pandas of over 5 years old in Wolong Panda Reserve stay individually in the large panda enclosures. Each of the enclosure consists of an in-door room and an out-door courtyard. Travelers can see pandas eating leisurely in the out-door courtyard, lying on the ground and looking up at the blue sky…Since they have pudgy bodies, the adult pandas may seldom exercise and spend much time sleeping and having nice dreams. Enclosures are a lot that you will be busy taking photos and making videos. Watch your steps!
Sub-adult giant pandas are usually between 2 to 5 years old. They are relatively smaller but more active than the adult pandas. It is very interesting that knowing how to eat bamboo stands for the individual living ability of a little giant panda to grow up to an adult one, so many sub-adult giant pandas are trying to learn about how to eat bamboo during this special period. Prepare your camera for these hot stars!
Baby giant pandas are from 1 to 2 years old. Since May 11, 2016, there are seven baby pandas which were born in 2015 living in panda nursery garden. And you can see some of the little giant babies there at the Panda Kindergarten at Shenshuping Panda Base. Baby pandas are extremely lovely and attractive. They like crawling and rolling, learning to climb trees, playing with each other, being curious about the environment, wanting to explore the world. Spend some time pleasing eyes with the lovely creatures.
Welcome to visit Shenshuping Panda Base to see the giant pandas in the very primitive place and inspiring environment. You will meet giant pandas of different ages, from the cute babies to the chubby elder ones and treat your eyes with vigorous plants in the botanical garden.
Besides, the Science Education Center also shows the physical structure, the history of discovering, scientific protection, research achievements and the future developing plans about the giant pandas through vivid pictures, descriptions and other objects. So you can know much about this chubby animal species.
Check in - Sub-adult pandas - Adult pandas - panda kindergarten - botanical garden - exit (for about 1 to 1.5 hours)
Shenshuping Panda Base has launched the expecting Panda Volunteer Program. Visitors from home and abroad can join this lifetime meaningful and interesting activity so to get the chance to clean the panda’s house, feed giant panda by yourselves, prepare their eating bamboos and healthy cakes, watch movies about the charming giant pandas and learn more about the chubby national treasure in China through a lot of joy.
● Panda cleaner: clean the giant panda’s house, move the bamboos left out of the house and dump the poop of the giant pandas, which is the best way to know about the daily like of pandas, understand their living environment and experience of taking care of giant pandas really closely. This section takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
● Feeding the panda: feed the adorable giant panda in person with carrot, cakes, and other their favorite food to learn what their diet is like. Meanwhile, observe their eating moment with a close distance and build trust with them. It lasts for about 30 minutes.
● Panda nutritionist: learn how to make the cakes of giant pandas and have a better understanding about why they favor it so much. The cake making activity takes about 20-30 minutes.
● Panda science education: at the panda science education center, find out all the scientific mysteries about the giant pandas and learn how we can do to protect these precious species on our planet earth. This section takes about half an hour.
● Visiting area of panda breeding: enter the area of panda breeding to visit more lovable giant pandas and learn more knowledge about them. Good time for photographs.
● Panda lecture: join the panda lecture to learn more facts about giant pandas, listen to some interesting stories between the experts and pandas, and know more deep knowledge about giant pandas.
● Panda theater: watch the interesting movie about panda, understand why giant panda is known as living fossil, know the process of the wild training and reintroduction of giant pandas, and learn about the stories of human beings living in harmony with them. The theater is arranged for about 1 hour.
● Panda certificate & panda badge: after the panda volunteer program, you can get the honorable panda certificate and badge or other delicate souvenirs to keep your amazing and meaningful moments.
Time of the program: 8:45-15:20 (for reference only)
Pre-work Training: Wolong Panda Volunteers are required to participate in the "Pre-work Training" about the volunteer program before 09:00 a.m. on your volunteer day to have a clear understanding about how to do the volunteer activities. Please arrive at Shenshuping Panda Base on time (better before 08:30 a.m.), otherwise, some parts of your volunteer program would be adjusted or even cancelled according to your specific arrival time.
To see more info about Shenshuping Base Panda Volunteer Program!
(The trekking research program at Wolong is not available in 2020!)
Wolong Panda Reserve is the one and only panda center to take part in the outdoor trekking research in panda wild training area. During this special and meaningful program, you will get the cool chance to explore the primitive living habitat of giant panda in Tiantaishan Mountain (天台山) panda wild training area, enjoy the beautiful and natural sightseeing embracing giant pandas every day and learn more plant and animal resources here. Giant panda fans and visitors who want to discover the nature by trekking are really recommended to start the wild trekking with their curiosity.
● Vision of the protection zone: as in the very primitive area in Wolong National Nature Reserve, the Tiantaishan Mountain is so good to inhale fresh air and enjoy the eye-pleasing trees, wild flowers in various colors and azure sky decorated by soft clouds. A good mood is one of the best presents for you!
● Rare wild plants learning & observation: during your trekking, meet numerous rare wild plants there and some you may have never seen before, like Chinese yew. Observe these rare plants offered by our mother earth closely and learn their facts.
● Giant panda living habitat learning: under the trekking guide’s introduction of living habitat of the giant pandas, you can observe the environment and know about the excellent natural and quiet living habitat pandas have.
● Research instruments understanding: every time the reserch team does research in the wild training area, they wound take professional instruments and tools, such as the wireless tracker, to collect samples and record data. Now learn how to use them to do the wild research.
● Physical and mental exercise: think about questions about the adorable giant pandas and other mysteries of the nature to enrich your knowledge and practice your thinking ability. And also the hiking on the primitive mountain provides a great opportunity to promote your physical health.
● Meeting with other animals: a lot of animals living in the area, including the giant pandas. And if you are really a lucky dog, you may meet with some adorable animals, such as little squirrels.
To see more info about Wolong Outdoor Trekking Research Activity!
1. Numbers & Age: The center can accept up to 15 volunteers at one time and the age should be between 12 and 65.
2. Strong Smells: For pandas have keen sense of smell, volunteers should avoid using perfume or other odorous articles like mosquito repellent liquid or nail polish, skin care products, makeups, etc. on the volunteering work day.
3. Healthy Bodies: To well protect giant pandas, volunteers are required to be healthy, and people who are suffering from illness, like a cold, fever, influenza, and other infectious diseases are not suitable to have body contact with the giant pandas.
4. Force Majeure: The panda volunteer and hugging program is to be delayed or inaccessible if there is Force Majeure like earthquakes, epidemic... Also, your program may be influenced by the inevitable requirement and control.
The road between Chengdu to Wolong is rebuilt after the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake. The section of the provincial road 303 between Yinxiu and Wolong is in newly opened which contains 45 kilometers.
At present, there is no public vehicle from Chengdu to Shenshuping Panda Base. For visitors leaving for Wolong Panda Base from Chengdu, you can go by car, which takes about 2.5-3 hours for covering about 106km long distance.
If you want to get rid of hustle of public transportation and troublesome navigation, you are highly recommended to book a private tour package which covers sightseeing, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Wolong Panda Base with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on sightseeing and prepare to meet the highlights. Please feel free to contact us for help!
Since the panda volunteer and outdoor trekking research programs all start around 8:30 in the morning, if you go there from Chengdu city on that day, the tour will be very tight and tiring. So for visitors joining these programs, it is recommended to arrive at Wolong before your program day and accommodate near Wolong Panda Reserve.
However, as the not so prosperous economy in Wolong Town, there is no star hotel. You can choose one from the hotels, hostels and inns operated by the local people, where clean rooms, delicious specialty dishes, hot water, basic equipment, private bathroom, and other warm services are provided with very nice price.
For giant panda volunteers, Wolong Panda Base has arranged nutritious lunch for you to enjoy (if you are allergic to any food, please tell us or the base staff in advance). However, if you are going to enjoy the trekking research program at the giant panda wild training area, it needs you bring your own lunch, such as bread and drinks for you would spend the entire trekking time on the mountain and there is no dining hall to have meals.
Also, if you want to taste some local flavors, there are some restaurants around the Shenshuping Panda Base in Gengda Township and in Wolong Town.
Shenshuping Panda Base belonging to Wolong National Nature Reserve has the typical sub-tropical inland mountain climate. During November to the next April, it is sunny and dry, rainfalls and snowfalls occur frequently. And in summer, climate changes to warm and moist. Annual average temperature is about 8.5℃, with the about 17℃ during July and -1℃ in January. For the escalating elevation of the mountains, climates vary a lot from the foot to the top hills. As a result it is said that there are four seasons on one mountain and different climate during the same one day in Wolong.
Since the weather drop at night, it is suggested to take some warm clothes when you visit there. And also prepare your sunblock, hat and sunglasses to prevent from the strong ultraviolet rays, especially during summer season.
Wolong Giant Panda Museum, also known as Wolong Natural and Earthquake Museum, locates near Wolong Town. At this national only one museum about giant pandas, you could learn more about the historic discovery and development, living environment, body features of the giant pandas through pictures, words and some models and animal specimens and historical relics. Moreover, some materials about the earthquakes and the influence of earthquakes on the giant pandas are perceptually shown to visitors and inspire them about what to do to protect pandas and even our nature. There is only about 24 kilometers long driving distance between the museum and Shenshuping Panda Base, which takes about 35 minutes to get there. (Visiting time: 1-1.5 hours)
Enjoying the good reputation of the “Queen of Sichuan Mountains” for its high altitude of 6250m, Mount Siguniang (Four Sisters Mountain) offers gorgeous natural sightseeing of snow-capped mountains, sapphire-like lakes, and colorful blossoms for you to take great pictures. Besides, the complex and particular terrains and multiple hills make Mount Siguniang a fine choice for trekking lovers. If you have one to 3 extra days in Sichuan, China, you can visit this “Oriental Alps” to discover its beauty and legendary stories. Siguniang Mountain is at the west of Gengda Shenshuping Panda Base, which needs about 2.5-3 hours to drive for 123 kilometers. (Visiting time: 1-3 days)
Wolong Giant Panda Reserve and Dujiangyan Panda Base are sponsored by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Hong Kong citizens will enjoy free entry for visiting Shenshuping Base and Dujiangyan Base of the China Conservation & Research Center for the Giant Panda.
It is recommended to make a reservation of the panda volunteer, trekking research programs in advance, and even 1 to 2 months earlier for volunteers and trekkersduring peak seasons (mainly May to October). If any temporary cancellation, reduction and increase of participants happen, the Wolong Panda Base requires us to apply it in advance for at least 10 days before the very program date. So if panda volunteers and outdoor trekkers at Wolong Shenshuping Panda Base would cancel your program(s), increase or reduce your number of group temporarily for some reasons, it is required to tell our travel consultant as early as possible (better 10 days in advance excluding the national holidays and weekends) before your very program date.
3. Safety distance: although giant pandas are very adorable, they are still wild animals. So please keep a safety distance while watching them.
4. Keep quiet: Giant pandas like quiet. Please avoid making loud noise or speak too loud so not to make them frightened.
5. No private feeding: giant pandas have their own suitable diet and staff in Wolong Panda Base does well in the feeding job to ensure them grow healthy. Please do not throw any food into the panda’s enclosure, or the pandas may get ill if they eat something not suitable for their body.
6. Panda souvenirs: Wolong Panda Base has prepared some good souvenirs for visitors. If you like, you can buy them to keep the unforgettable visit of giant panda, like eye-patches, earphones, dolls, etc.
China Discovery, local based in Sichuan - the hometown of giant pandas, is professional to arrange China panda tours to Wolong Base, Chengdu Base, Dujiangyan Base, Bifengxia Base. No matter which base you want to go to get a good experience with pandas, we China Discovery have professional and great panda tours for you or you can feel free to customize a panda tour to fulfill your panda dream. If you want to join in the giant panda volunteer program in a panda base closer to Chengdu, you can visit Dujiangyan Panda Base that is the most popular base to enjoy giant panda volunteer program and is only about 2 hours’ driving distance from Chengdu downtown ( hours by car). Please feel free to tell us if you need any help!
Recommended Panda Volunteer Tours:
>> 1 Day Dujiangyan Panda Volunteer Tour (Dujiangyan)
>> 2 Days Chengdu & Lifetime Panda Volunteer Tour (Chengdu + Dujiangyan)
>> 6 Days Leshan, Mount Emei & Panda Volunteer Tour (Leshan + Emei + Dujiangyan + Chengdu)
Top 3 Panda tours chosen by most customers to explore Panda in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Chengdu / Wolong / Chengdu
Chengdu / Leshan / Emei / Chengdu / Dujiangyan / Chengdu
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >