Shanxi Weather & Seasons
Shanxi, located inland at middle latitude, has a temperate continental monsoon climate with four distinct seasons. It has abundant sunshine and significant climate differences between its southern and northern parts, as well as great temperatures changes between summer and winter, as well as between day and night.
The average temperature runs between 5˚C and 7˚C. The best time to visit Shanxi province is from May to October.
Weather Forecast for Major Cities in Shanxi:
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Shanxi Seasons to Go
- Spring is from March to May. Here, spring is windy and the temperature varies between day and night. Also, it is extremely dry and prone to dust storms. Please take sun glasses and hat to keep off wind and sands.
- In April and May, go to the largest waterfalls on Yellow River - Hukou Waterfall, as water is full. You may be lucky to see rainbow in good weather.
- June to September is summer in Shanxi. Summer is hot and rainy. And June to August has the most rainfall, accounting for 60 percent of the total.
- It is the best time to visit Mount Wutai, one of the Four Sacred Mountains in Chinese Buddhism. From July 25 to August 25, it is the, Wutaishan Tourist Month that lots of activities related with Buddhism are held.
- Autumn is short and mild. It is the best time to visit all the places of Shanxi province. You could come to Pingyao to enjoy the Pingyao International Photography Festival which is held on the mid-September every year.
- Winter in Shanxi is long, cold and dry. The coldest month is January, and the average temperature is about - 4˚C. Though it is cold, if you prefer to celebrate a traditional Chinese New Year, then, come to Pingyao. You’ll totally immerse yourself in a happy year in a local way, in a traditional way.
Recommended Shanxi Tours
Top 3 Shanxi tours chosen by most customers to explore Shanxi in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 6 Day Datong Pingyao Tour Plus Wutaishan Visit
Datong / Wutaishan / Taiyuan / Pingyao
- 3 Days Taiyuan Pingyao Brief Tour
Taiyuan / Pingyao
- 4 Days Essence of Datong & Pingyao Tour
Datong / Pingyao