Putuoshan Weather | Best Time to Visit Putuoshan
Putuoshan in Zhoushan, Zhejiang, China belongs to the subtropical maritime monsoon climate which has many windy, foggy, rainy and sunny days. The yearly average temperature of Putuoshan is about 16.0℃. The coldest time usually comes in January, with an average temperature for about 5.4℃. August is normally the hottest month, with the highest temperature reaching up to 38.2℃.
Best Time to Visit Putuoshan (Mount Putuo)
The best time to visit Putuoshan varies according to the different reason you are heading there.
If you are serious Buddhist followers, you can visit Putuoshan at any time as you like! And if you are looking forward to attend the Buddhist events, there are three specific days recommended for you - 19th day of the 2nd lunar month, 19th of the 6th lunar month and 19th of the 9th lunar month. February 19th is considered to be the birthday of the Guanyin Bodhisattva. June 19th is the Day of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva's Enlightenment. September 19th is the Nirvana Day. During these three days, there will be grand events held on the island and floods of pilgrims will gather at Putuoshan to show their worships to Guanyin - the Goddess of Mercy.
However, for those who are not pilgrims and are not really curious about the events, you are suggested to avoid Buddhist festivals and Chinese holidays or you may encounter with overcrowding. The rest days in spring, summer and autumn are all good for sightseeing. And in July, August and September, you will get the best island vacation full of blue sea and golden beach. However, there may also be typhoons. If you focus on the freshest seafood, and then October is the best pick.
Average Putuoshan Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Putuoshan Seasons to Go
Putuoshan Weather in Spring (March, April, May)
❀ Temperature: 0~10℃
The air in Putuoshan in spring is moist, because it rains a lot in this season. The rains endow Putuoshan charming foggy scenery, with the grand Statue of Guanyin (the Goodness of Mercy Statue) and the entire Putuoshan Island in and out of the fog. Putuoshan in spring also winds a lot. And the temperature differs a lot between its hill top and the temples. Therefore, visitors are suggested to wear many layers.
What to Wear
Sweater, down coat/jacket, long pants, scarf, umbrella or raincoat, etc.
Putuoshan Spring Activities
1. Admire the Fairy Island on the Sea - If lucky, you will meet with the amazing fairy island floating on the sea, with fogs obscuring the island every now and then.
2. Stroll around the So Many Buddhist Temples & Pagodas - No matter when you come, you are suggested to visit the Temples in Putuoshan, like Puji Temple, Fayu Temple, Huiji Temple, etc.
3. Get Close to the Goodness of Mercy Statue - This giant statue, which is 18 meters high, is the landmark of Putuoshan. You can get close to this landmark and show your worship of Guanyin up close.
4. Celebrate the Birthday of Guanyin - Every 19th day of the 2nd lunar month (usually happens in late March) is considered to be the birthday of Guanyin - the Goddess of Mercy. On this day, there will be a grand fair held. The monks will chant sutras day and night at Puji Temple, Fayu Temple, etc. And believers from all over the globe will rush to Putuoshan. On the hiking trails up to the Foding Mountain, the highest peak in Putuoshan, pilgrims kneel down every three stone steps to show their worship to Guanyin. No matter you are a Buddhist follower or not, you can join the floods and admire the profound Buddhist fragrance during then.
Emerald Putuoshan in Spring
Not-willing-to-leave Temple in Putuoshan in Spring
Putuoshan Weather in Summer (June, July, August)
☂ Temperature: 21~31℃
In Putuoshan, the summers are short, warm and sometimes may be very hot, with the highest temperature reaching up to 31℃. The hottest time usually falls in July or August. The bright sunshine of this season guarantees visitors the broadest view of the surrounding sea and islands. Also, it is the best time to enjoy sunbathing on the golden beaches in Putuoshan.
Warm tip: There may be sometimes have typhoons in July and August. You are suggested to check the weather forecast in advance if you are going to visit Putuoshan during then.
What to Wear
T-Shirt, short pant, a long-sleeved shirt, sneakers, sunscreen cream, sunhat, and sunglasses, etc.
Putuoshan Summer Activities
1. Enjoy the Kiss of Sunshine at the One Thousand-Step Beach - On the southeastern side of the Putuoshan Island there is a large golden beach, where you can enjoy sunbathing while appreciating the broad sea view.
2. Hike up to Foding Mountain from Fayu Temple - In addition to the cable car, you can also hike up to the Foding Mountain to find the peace in your heart. Along the way, you will also meet with many Buddhist believers.
3. Join the Buddhist Event - June 19th is the Day of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva's Enlightenment. One of the 3 major Buddhist Events of Putuoshan will be held on this day.
4. Enjoy the Impression Putuo Show to know more Buddhist Legends and Stories - Watching the well-arranged light, shadow and sound, you can experience the perfect visual feast and learn Buddhist art.
One Thousand-Step Beach in Putuoshan in Summer
Fayu Temple in Putuoshan in Summer
Putuoshan Weather in Autumn (Sept, Oct, Nov)
☀ Temperature: 14°C ~ 27°C, cool day with fine weather
In autumn, temperatures in Putuoshan typically range from 10~29℃. It is a cool and pleasant season, and thus you can enjoy outdoor activities at any time as you like. Another grand Buddhist event - The Nirvana Day of Guanyin also falls in this season, making it one of the best seasons to visit Putuoshan.
Warm tip: There may be sometimes also have typhoons in September. You are suggested to check the weather forecast in advance if you are going to visit Putuoshan during then.
What to Wear
Long-sleeved shirts, long skirts and thin sweaters, windbreakers, jackets, and sneakers are recommended. Winter coats and thermal clothes are needed if you visit Putuoshan in the late autumn.
Putuoshan Autumn Activities
1. Take a Cable Car up to Foding Mountain - From the cable car station near Baotuojiang Temple, you can ride a cable car up the mountain to visit Huiji Temple and have a panorama view of Putuoshan and its surroundings.
2. Visit Unwilling-to-leave Temple and Learn the Legend about Guanyin - Not far away from The Goodness of Mercy Statue is the Unwilling-to-leave Temple, where you will know why Putuoshan was chosen as the abode of the Goddess of Mercy.
3. Join the Grand Buddhist Event - In Buddhist culture, September 19th (usually falls in October) is the Nirvana Day of Guanyin Bodhisattva. Believers from all over the globe will gather in Putuoshan to take part in the grand Buddhist event held there. You can just follow their steps to join this grand event.
4. Watch Impression Putuo Show – Not far from the Zhoushan Putuoshan Airport and Zhujiajian Wharf there is a Grand Theater, where the large-scale real landscape show Impression Putuo is performed. While watching the show, you can just indulge yourself in the perfect visual feast and Buddhist art.
The Goodness of Mercy Statue in Putuoshan in Autumn
Tranquil Pool in Putuoshan in Autumn
Putuoshan Weather in Winter (Dec, Jan, Feb)
☃ Temperature: -6~20℃
Compared with the temperature on land, the temperature in Putuoshan is a little bit higher. However, you may feel colder in Putuoshan because you will be attracted by strong cold wind. The lowest temperature in winter in Putuoshan can falls to -6℃. The coldest month is January. Considering the weather, winter is not the best time to visit Putuoshan. However, you can still find some days with pleasant weather during this season. Besides, you will get fewer crowds if you visit Putuoshan in this season. And the price of hotels there are more affordable.
What to Wear
Winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, sweaters, thermal clothes, snow boots or other antiskid hiking shoes.
Putuoshan Winter Activities
1. Visit Temples in Putuoshan - During this off season in Putuoshan, you can visit the temples and pagodas in a quieter atmosphere. And you can even have opportunities to enjoy dinning with the monks.
2. Savor Delicious Sea Food - It is said that the best time to savor dishes cooked with oysters is in cold winter. There is no exception in Putuoshan. If you are going to visit Putuoshan in this season, you can have a try about its oyster dishes and snacks.
Putuoshan Winter (Less-crowded)
How to Plan a Putuoshan Tour
How to Get to Putuoshan: ① Ferry from Shanghai (4~12 hrs.), Ningbo (70 mins.), Zhoushan (10~30 mins); ② Flight from Shanghai (1 h), Beijing (3 hrs.), Guangzhou (2 hrs.), Shenzhen (2 hrs.), Xiamen (1.5 hrs.), etc. plus ferry from Zhoushan; ③ High speed train to Ningbo plus ferry from Ningbo or Zhoushan; ④ Driving from Hangzhou (3.5 hrs. around), etc.
Best Time to Visit Putuoshan: June ~ October
A classic Putuoshan Buddhist tour takes about 2 days. The first is for Putuoshan arrival and the exploration of the southern part of Putuoshan, including the landmark site - the Goddess of Mercy Statue. The next morning is to get up close to the soul heart of Putuoshan, including its most significant temples like Fayu Temple, Huiji Temple, etc.
Since there is no flight or train to Putuoshan, seldom tourist visits Putuoshan directly, but goes with its popular nearby tourist cities. Shanghai, Ningbo, Hangzhou and Zhoushan are the top picks.
Top 1: Putuoshan Tour from Shanghai
Touring Putuoshan and the metropolis Shanghai in one go is the hottest choice. Such a tour takes 2~5 days.
Top 2: Putuoshan Tour from Hangzhou
Visiting Hangzhou West Lake and Putuoshan together is also a good choice. About 3~5 days are needed.
Top 3: Putuoshan Tour from Ningbo
Ningbo has an airport with frequent international and domestic flights and also has the closest high speed railway stations to Putuoshan. A Putuoshan and Ningbo tour needs about 3 days around.
Top 4: Putuoshan Tour from Zhoushan
If you are going to visit Putuoshan by flight or from the nearest wharfs, Zhoushan City is always the best gateway city. Therefore, taking short Zhoushan tour before heading to Putuoshan is also great. A Zhoushan Putuoshan tour takes about 2~3 days.
Some visitors also prefer to extend their Putuoshan tour to other famous Buddhist places in China, such as Mount Wutai, Mount Emei, Mount Jiuhua, etc. If you like, please feel free to tell us your preferences, and let our experienced travel consultant customize a tour for you!
Travel Putuoshan with China Discovery
Looking for a worry-free Putuoshan Tour without checking ferry schedules and visiting routes? Travel with us China Discovery and let our professional travel consultant help you. No matter you are coming from Shanghai, Ningbo, Hangzhou or any other cities in and out China, we will carefully customize a perfect Putuoshan tour with your say, including your interests, budget, group size, time and every special need. Our experienced and knowledgeable guide will choose the best ferry to/from Putuoshan and introduce you the background of Putuoshan and Guanyin (Avalokitesvara, the Goddess of Mercy)!
If you are interested, please feel free to contact us!
- Mount Putuo
- Get There & Around
- Putuoshan Ferry
- Hangzhou to Putuoshan
- Shanghai to Putuoshan
- Putuoshan Hotels
- Putuoshan Maps
- All Putuoshan Tours
- More Zhoushan Travel Guide
Putuoshan Travel Guide
More about Zhejiang Travel Guide
Recommended Putuoshan Tours
Top 3 Putuoshan tours chosen by most customers to explore Putuoshan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Putuoshan Classic Tour from Shanghai
Shanghai / Putuoshan / Shanghai
- 4 Days Hangzhou Putuoshan Brief Tour
Shanghai / Putuoshan / Hangzhou
- 5 Days Buddhism Tour to Mount Putuo & Mount Jiuhua from Shanghai
Shanghai / Mount Putuo / Mount Jiuhua