Do you know? At present you can not only watch the chubby giant panda from a distance, but also, you can join in the panda volunteer program. And among the 3 panda bases providing this volunteer program, namely Dujingyan Panda Base, Bifengxia Panda Base and Shenshuping Panda Base, Dujiangyan Panda Base is very convenient for it is near Chengdu City. Bifengxia Panda Base provides more chance to see little panda babies and its location - Ya’an city is where the world first giant panda was found. However, if you want to experience the more natural and primitive living environment of pandas, you are recommended to go to Shenshuping Panda Base (or called Wolong Panda Base) at Wolong National Nature Reserve to get close to giant pandas and enjoy the real living treasure place of pandas.
Join in the panda volunteer program at Wolong Panda Base! You can be a panda cleaner, learn to prepare cakes for pandas, feed them by yourself… to know about the daily duty of staff around pandas in Wolong Panda Base. Apart from that, you can learn a lot of facts and knowledge of pandas to know why they are so cute to be the national treasure of Chinese people and even favored by people worldwide, and have a clear understanding about what we could do to protect the giant pandas to save this precious species on our planet.
Giant Panda at Shenshuping Panda Base in Wolong
During your great time being a panda volunteer in Shenshuping Panda Base, you would experience rich types of activities that are really special and fresh among your past memories. Such as, clean the breeding house for giant pandas, learn how to make nutritious cakes for pandas, feed them with carrots and other food in person, watch interesting movies about giant pandas and the story between human beings and them, and so forth. This excellent panda volunteer program enables you to watch pandas closely and more importantly to do some contribution to the care for them.
Panda Cleaner at Shenshuping Panda Base
Duration: one day; 08:45 – 15:20 (for reference)
|Morning||08:45-9:00||Arrive at the panda volunteer center, learn the safety announcement and sign the security agreement; put on the work suit and gloves, wear the volunteer passing card, and staff will help you to go through the related procedures;|
|09:00-10:20||Panda Cleaners: carry out the old bamboos left, dump the poop of giant pandas, flush the panda’s house, observe and have better understanding of the living environment and condition of giant pandas;|
|10:20-11:00||Visiting Area of Panda Breeding: visit difference feeding areas of giant pandas under the guidance of the staff of the panda base and learn more scientific knowledge of giant pandas;|
|11:00-11:30||Panda Feeding: Feed pandas with their favorite food like bamboos, carrot, fruits, etc. by yourself and closely watch their eating habits and cute manners;|
|Lunchtime||11:40-12:30||Enjoy lunch at the dining hall in the panda base together with the staff;|
|Afternoon||12:30-13:00||Visit the panda base freely if you like or have a break at the panda volunteer center;|
|13:00-14:00||Panda Theater: watch interesting movies about giant pandas, explore their world, know more about the wild training and reintroduction of giant pandas and the stories of people living harmoniously with pandas;|
|14:00-14:40||Clean the panda’s house, and feed pandas again;|
|14:50-15:10||Panda Nutritionist: learn about what ingredients needed for making panda cakes under the guidance of the staff; make the cakes for pandas;|
|15:20 and after||After your volunteer experience, return the volunteer suit and card, and get the panda volunteer certificate and delicate souvenirs like panda badges.|
Feed Pandas at Shenshuping Panda Base
Nice Services of Shenshuping Panda Base: Volunteer’s working suits, gloves, volunteer’s passing cards, pre-post safety training, Entire accompany (English & Chinese), sightseeing vehicle, lunch at the dining hall (if you are allergic to any food, please tell us or the base staff in advance).
Fees: All expenses of scenic ticket, scenic traffic, lunch, instructing and other management fees are included in your volunteer fee.
1. All the time and arrangement mentioned above may be adjusted based on practical situations.
2. Your travel guide will accompany you through your volunteer program, so you don’t have to worry about the communication and just enjoy your meaningful experience with pandas.
To let you have a clear understanding about how to do every activity, such as cleaning the panda enclosure, Shenshuping Panda Base will arrange the pre-work training for every panda volunteer in the morning of your very volunteer day before the official start of your program. Volunteers need to participate in the training before 09:00 a.m., so they are allowed to do the program. If you would fail to get the training and arrive there before 10:00 a.m., you can only experience the panda feeding part in the morning schedule (during the special fasting period of giant pandas, you would fail to try the feeding activity.) and the enclosure cleaning part would be cancelled. And if you arrive there after 10:00 a.m. on the very day, all the activities scheduled in the morning would be cancelled, and you would directly join in the activities in the afternoon. Therefore, to make your panda volunteer at Wolong proceed normally, you are suggested to arrive at Shenshuping Panda Base before 08:30 a.m. of your volunteer day.
Panda Nutritionist at Wolong Panda Base
1. Numbers & Ages: Shenshuping Panda Base can accept up to 15 volunteers at once and the age should be between 12 and 65.
2. Health Examination Form: Being a volunteer, you should apply it a week in advance with your Application Form and Health Examination Form (valid medical certificate and signature which could apply it in your country or in China). Interested people could feel free to contact our travel consultant for more information or let them register for you.
3. Advance reservation & temporary cancellation: It is recommended to make a reservation of the panda volunteer and panda holding programs in advance, and even 1 to 2 months earlier for volunteers and 1 week earlier for holders during peak seasons (mainly May to October). If any temporary cancellation, reduction and increase of participants happen, the Wolong Panda Base requires us to apply it in advance for at least 10 days before the very program date. So if panda volunteers and panda holders at Wolong Shenshuping Panda Base would cancel your program(s), increase or reduce your number of group temporarily for some reasons, it is required to tell our travel consultant as early as possible (better 10 days in advance excluding the national holidays and weekends) before your very program date.
4. No Strong Smells: For pandas have keen sense of smell, volunteers should avoid using perfume or other odorous articles like mosquito repellent liquid or nail polish, skin care products, makeups, etc. on the volunteering work/giant panda hugging day.
5. Healthy Bodies: To well protect giant pandas, volunteers and panda huggers are required to be healthy, and people who are suffering from illness, like a cold, fever, influenza, and other infectious diseases are not suitable to have physical contact with the giant pandas.
6. Force Majeure: The panda volunteer and hugging program is to be delayed or inaccessible if there is Force Majeure like earthquakes, epidemic... Also, the inevitable requirement and control of the government, country may influence your volunteer program.
Panda Volunteers at Shenshuping Base
Besides being a panda volunteer, travellers to Shenshuping Panda Base in Wolong can also hug a giant panda of over 1.5 years old and take good photos as a memento. During the unbelievable moment, you can watch it really with zero distance, touch its body to feel round body and hair, and see how it will pose in front of the camera.
However, to well protect the precious and rare panda animal species, you are required to sign the Health Certificate Form, wear insulating clothes, shoes covers and gloves prepared by the panda base.
Besides, during this super good interaction with panda, your behavior is appreciated. And you are required to pay the donation fee of 1800 RMB or 3000 RMB (according to different ages of giant pandas) to help saving this endangered species and create a better living environment for them.
Please Note: To well protect the giant pandas, it may influence (or may cancel when the real situation is serious) your panda holding experience if you suffer from an illness, like a cold, fever, influenza, and other infectious diseases; and other inevitable factors like the body condition of the pandas, policy of the government, etc. Thank you for understanding.
After your panda volunteer program at Shenshuping Panda Base, your local driver will pick you up and send you to the hotel.
Get the Volunteer Certificate and Souvenirs
>> 2 Days Shenshuping Panda Volunteer Tour with Dujiangyan Essence (Wolong / Dujiangyan)
>> 2 Days Wolong Panda Volunteer Tour with Chengdu Highlights (Wolong / Chengdu)
>> 5 Days Dream Joviality Tour for Panda Fans (Wolong / Chengdu / Dujiangyan)
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Chengdu / Wolong Panda Base / Chengdu
Chengdu / Dujiangyan / Wolong Panda Base / Chengdu
Chengdu / Dujiangyan / Wolong Panda Base / Chengdu
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip