Lhasa Weather & Seasons
As in the Qinghai Tibet Plateau, Lhasa is typical highland temperate semi-arid monsoon climate. The air is clean and thin. Most of days are sunny with fewer rains, which gives Lhasa the name of “city of sunshine”. It is usually mild all the year around without cold winter and hot summer.
The average temperature in Lhasa is 8.3 °C (47 °F). The warmest average max/ high temperature is 24 °C (75 °F) in June. The coolest average min/ low temperature is -10 °C (14 °F) in January. Lhasa receives on average 406 mm (16.0 in) of precipitation annually or 34 mm (1.3 in) each month.
Average Lhasa Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Lhasa Seasons to Go
- Spring in Lhasa is dry and starts to get warm but sometimes it is a little bit chilly. Sunshine is plentiful and pleasant. There are fewer waterfalls. Be an early bird to visit Lhasa in spring, you will get a great discount because there are fewer tourists.
- Seasonal Activities
- Visiting the monasteries (Jokhang Temple, Sera Monastery, Drepung Monastery, Ganden Monastery) and Potala Palace under the comfortable sunshine.
- Summer is mild with some waterfalls. But ultraviolet rays are strong in the day time, so please remember to bring sunglasses and sun scream. There is a big range of temperature between daytime and night. So a jacket or sweater is suggested to be packed.
- Seasonal Activities
- Camping around the Namtso Lake is strongly recommended in this season. You can also relax yourself in the hot spring of Yangpachen.
- Autumn is believed to be the best time for Tibet travel. It is cool and mostly sunny days with blue air and floating thin clouds. Prepare long-sleeve shirts, sweater and overcoat for early morning and night.
- Seasonal Activities
- Yangpachen trekking and camping around the Namtso Lake.
- It is not as cold as most of other areas of Tibet in Lhasa when winter comes. But it is windy with small degree. In the daytime, there is sunshine usually which is very warm. The average temperature is about 10 °C. Prepare winter clothes, sunglasses and lip balms.
Actually, if you plan to visit only Lhasa and surrounding area in winter, we suggest you come. The weather is not very cold and the hotel and tour rates are cheaper than usual.
Travel with China Discovery
China Discovery is an experienced, professional and a reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. In order to have a hassle-free travel and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended travelling with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange knowledgeable local tour guide, excellent accommodation and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well and get better understanding of Tibetan Buddhism, culture and customs. You may select a favorite from our most popular Tibet Tours or contact us to design a unique itinerary according to your personal time and preference.
We have helped many global travelers enjoy their memorable wonderful trips to Tibet for the past few years. Among them, the warm-hearted client named Jack from America have visited Tibet 6 times since 2013 for traveling and charity, and shared with us their special travel story! Read on real stories of our clients to get more inspiration for your Tibet tour planning!
- Things to do in Lhasa
- Featured Activities in Lhasa
- How to Get to & around Lhasa
- Lhasa Maps
- Luxury Hotels in Lhasa
- Comfortable Hotels in Lhasa
- Economic Hotels in Lhasa
- Potala Palace - Masterpiece of Tibetan Architecture
- Jokhang Temple -the Spiritual Center of Tibet
- Drepung Monastery - Largest Monastery in Tibet
- Barkhor Street – Lhasa Most Famous Circumambulation
- Namtso Lake - Most Beautiful Lake in Tibet
- Norbulingka – Tibetan Summer Palace
- More Lhasa Travel Guide
Recommended Lhasa Tours
Top 3 Lhasa tours chosen by most customers to explore Lhasa in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 4 Days Lhasa Essence Tour
Lhasa City & Suburb
- 5 Days Lhasa & Namtso Tour
Lhasa / Namtso
- 8 Days Classic Mount Everest Tour from Lhasa
Lhasa / Gyangtse / Shigatse/ Everest