Lanzhou Weather and Seasons | Best Time to Visit Lanzhou
Lanzhou is located in the middle of China. It is surrounded by mountains from south to north. And the Yellow River flows from west to east through the city, which forms typical basin weather. More specifically, Lanzhou has a temperate, semi-arid continental monsoon climate. It is dry and warm and rains little. The annual average temperature is 10.3 ℃. There is not scorching hot in summer, not bitter cold in winter, but there is a large temperature difference between day and night. There is much sunlight throughout all year round with an approximate length of 2,600 hours. The average precipitation is about 250~350mm, and the rainy months are from June to September.
Best Time to Visit Lanzhou
Mid-spring to autumn is the best time to visit Lanzhou, namely from May to October, for the weather is usually very pleasant. Especially during the Festival of Fast Breaking in autumn, you can enjoy a lot of halal food and attend the celebrations there.
Average Lanzhou Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Lanzhou Seasons to Go
- ❀ Average Temperature: -2°C~22°C, chilly to comfortable
- Spring is quite cold, short, and dry in Lanzhou, with few drizzling days. But you can also see some sprouting on the White Pagoda Mountain. The temperatures difference between day and night are large, so take a winter coat to keep warm at night.
- • Recommended Attractions: Gansu Provincial Museum, White Pagoda Mountain,Lanzhou Shuiche Park, Binhe Park of Lanzhou
- • What to Wear: It is still very cold in the early spring and it is recommended to wear down jackets, sweaters, winter coats, winter boots in March and early April. from May, you can wear long skirts and sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, etc
- ✔ Popular Lanzhou Tour: 3 Days Lanzhou Short Break
Lanzhou Binhe Park in Spring
Lanzhou Weather in March
- High Temperature: 11°C / 52°F
- Low Temperature: -2°C / 28°F
- Daylight Hours: 12h
- Rainfall: 9 mm
- Rainy Days: 5 days
- Sunrise: 6:53am-7:35am
- Sunset: 6:58pm-7:25pm
Lanzhou Weather in April
- High Temperature: 18°C /64°F
- Low Temperature: 4°C / 39°F
- Daylight Hours: 13.1h
- Rainfall: 20 mm
- Rainy Days: 7 days
- Sunrise: 6:13am-6:52am
- Sunset: 7:25pm-7:50pm
Lanzhou Weather in May
- High Temperature: 22°C /72°F
- Low Temperature: 9°C / 48°F
- Daylight Hours: 14.1h
- Rainfall: 40 mm
- Rainy Days: 9 days
- Sunrise: 5:49am-6:12am
- Sunset: 7:51pm-8:15pm
- ☂ Average Temperature: 12°C~26°C, comfortable, cool and rainy
- Comparing with many other cities in China, summer in Lanzhou is not very hot. Located by the river, Lanzhou is a nice summer resort with the average highest temperature around 26℃. It is most pleasant time to travel in Lanzhou and surrounding. Though it is dry and the rainfall is not very intense, most of it occurs in this sesason. Moreover, the UV index is very strong in sunny days. Therefore, besides sunscreen and sunglasses, please remember to bring a umbrella with you while visiting Lanzhou in summer.
- • Recommended Attractions: Gansu Provincial Museum, Iron Bridge of Yellow River, White Pagoda Mountain, Zhengning Road Night Market
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear sun block shirt, sunhat, cotton and linen shirts, thin skirts, thin T-shirts and other breathable clothes for the day time and bring a raincoat or umbrella always.
- ✔ Popular Lanzhou Tour: 4 Days Lanzhou Labrang Monastery Tour
Iron Bridge of Yellow River in Summer
Lanzhou Weather in June
Lanzhou Weather in July
Lanzhou Weather in August
- ☀ Average Temperature: -4°C~21°C, pleasantly cool to cold
- Autumn is the best time to visit Lanzhou. It is cool and windy, and comfortable just like the late spring in Lanzhou. And you can see golden leaves view on the White Pagoda Mountain. The rainfall reduces a lot, and the temperature is comfortable and cool in September and the early October, but the temperature decreases rapidly since November and it becomes very cold.
- • Recommended Attractions: Gansu Provincial Museum, Iron Bridge of Yellow River, White Pagoda Mountain, Binhe Park of Lanzhou, Lanzhou Museum, Lingmingtang Mosque
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear shirts, long skirts and thin sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, sneakers for the early autumn, and winter coats and sweaters in the late October and November.
- ✔ Popular Lanzhou Tour: 4 Days Maijishan Grottoes & Lanzhou Culture Tour
Lanzhou Weather in September
Lanzhou Weather in October
Lanzhou Weather in November
- ☃ Average Temperature: -12°C~4°C, cold and dry
- It is very cold in winter, when the lowest temperature is just about -10℃. But it is the best time to see the snowscape of Lanzhou, which is more peaceful than any other time. You can also join all kinds of Chinese New Year celebrations and learn about the traditions there.
- • Recommended Attractions: Gansu Provincial Museum, Iron Bridge of Yellow River,Lanzhou Xiguan Mosque, Lanzhou Museum, Lingmingtang Mosque
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, sweaters, snow boots.
- ✔ Popular Lanzhou Tour: 6 Days Lamusi Tour from Lanzhou
Bronze Horse Treading on a Flying Swallow in Gansu Museum
Lanzhou Weather in December
Lanzhou Weather in January
Lanzhou Weather in February
How to Plan Your Lanzhou Tour
Lanzhou is rather a transfer hub than a popular tourist destination. Traveler usually choose Lanzhou as the starting point of their holidays because there are a great number of trains to Gansu, Qinghai, Tibet, Xinjiang making stops here, as well as many domestic flights from Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc. From Lanzhou, you can extend your trip to Xiahe Labrang Monastery and Langmusi Temple in southern Gansu(2~3 days), or travel northwestwards to the famous Hexi Corridor - Zhangye, Jiayuguan and Dunhuang(4~5 days).
★ Top-Recommended Lanzhou Tours
✔ 4 Days Lanzhou Labrang Monastery Tour
✔ 4 Days Maijishan Grottoes & Lanzhou Culture Tour
Travel Lanzhou with China Discovery
Want to travel in and around Lanzhou but don't know how to arrange your day by day itinerary? Travel Lanzhou with us, and all of your problems will be solved. In every city, our professional local guide and driver will escort you from your hotel, train station, airport to all attractions with comfortable private licensed car and let you catch the highlights of every site and city, so you can get really relaxed on the way and focus on what you are interested in. The tour can be tailor made according to your plan, time and interests and demands. If you are interested, please feel free to contact us and tell us your needs, and we will customize a memorable tour for you!
Most Popular Lanzhou Tours
- Best Lanzhou Tours
- Lanzhou Short Break
- Lanzhou Labrang Monastery Tour
- Maijishan Grottoes & Lanzhou Culture Tour
Useful Lanzhou Travel Guide
Recommended Lanzhou Tours
Top 3 Lanzhou tours chosen by most customers to explore Lanzhou in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 4 Days Lanzhou Labrang Monastery Tour
Lanzhou - Xiahe - Linxia - Lanzhou
- 4 Days Maijishan Grottoes & Zhangye Danxia Tour
Tianshui - Lanzhou - Zhangye
- 7 Days Ancient Silk Road Treasure Tour from Tianshui
Tianshui - Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang