Why Visit Wusong Island, Jinlin City?
Wusong Island (雾凇岛), located in Wula Manchu Town, Longtan District, Jilin City, is a national 5A scenic spot. It's a small island on the Songhua River and named after the abundant and beautiful rime there. Jilin Rime, along with Guilin landscape, Yunnan Stone Forest and the Three Gorges of the Yangtze River are known as the "Four Natural Wonders of China".
The two banks of Songhua River were luxuriant with dense trees and thick branches. In winter, the water mist from the non-freezing river water rises, meets the cold air, condenses into frost flowers on the trees. Meteorologists call it rime, locals prefer to call it “Shugua (树挂)” in Chinese, which means tree hangings in English. Looking towards the bank of Songhua River, frosty and snowy pine willows wearing Jades and draping slivers, like blossoming clouds and rowing snow waves. To see the Jilin Rime, Wusong Island is the best choice. Wusong Island is located on the lower reaches of Songhua River. The terrain here is lower than in Jilin city. Surrounded by water and with hot and cold air intersecting, almost every day in winter there are rime hanging on trees in Wusong Island. Sometimes the frost flowers won't fall for days.
Top Recommended Wusong Island China Winter Tours:
4 Days Harbin Ice & Snow Festival with Jilin Wusong Island Tour (Harbin / Jilin)
▶ 7 Days Amazing Northeast China Winter Tour with Changbai Mountain & Wusong Island (Harbin / China Snow Town / Changbaishan / Wusong Island)
Top 4 Things to Do in Wusong Island
1. Appreciate the one of “Four Natural Wonders in China” - With the peculiar shape of trees, the weeping willows along the river were covered with translucent frost flowers, silver willows flickers in the river wind under the sun, making Wusong Island become the top place to appreciate the “one of the four wonders in China” - Jilin Rime.
2. Stay one night in farmyards around Wusong Island - Paper windows, the heated brick bed and walls pasted by newspapers. The hosts cook in the wooden house. The air of the village is filled with the pleasant and special smell of farmyard smoke. You can sit cross-legged on the heated brick bed like local people, try the delicious local dishes in big bowls, and drink the corn wine in northeast China, all with the unique flavor of the black earth.
3. Treat yourself with authentic Manchu hot pot - There are many Manchu restaurants in Wulajie where you can try the authentic Manchu hotpot. The broth base is concocted from red dates, Codonopsis pilosula, wolfberry and a dozen different kinds of herbs which are good for health and very nutritious. After the broth boils, diners can add vegetables, pork and other ingredients to the soup according to their preferences. Then dip the cooked meat and vegetables in a local special sauce and eat it!
4. Experience the fun of “a splash of ice” - On Rime Island, you can make a magical "Splashing Ice Flower". Splashing ice flowers can be made only in a cold place where temperatures are under 20 degrees below zero. Take a small-bore vacuum cup filled with hot water, find an open place, stretch out your arms, get ready, and JUMP! As the arm swings a half circle in the air, the hot water scattered out instantly condenses into ice flowers and "explodes" in the air, forming a white circle, fantastic!
Wusong Island - one of “Four Natural Wonders in China”
Experience the fun of “a splash of ice”
Places to Visit in and around Wusong Island, Jilin
Wusong Island is the best place to appreciate the beauty of rime, try snow sports and experience Manchu customs. There are not many scenic spots on the island, the top 2 rime photography spots are Hantun Village (韩屯村) and Zengtongtun Village (曾通屯). Driving to Wusong Island, Wulajie Town(乌拉街镇) is a place that can't be missed. If you have enough time, you can spend half a day wandering around the town. There are some ancient ruins quite worth visiting and you can also try the authentic Manchu Hotpot etc.
Hantun Village (韩屯村) - the first village of rime wonderland
Hantun village is located on the opposite side of the northeast bank of Wusong Island. Being praised as “The First Village of Rime Wonderland in China”, Hantun is one of the best places to take photos of rime. There are also many farmyards in the village that provide accommodation. People in the village are hospitable and welcoming. Stay one night in Hantun Village, set on the heated bed, drink a pot of wine and have a bowl of Stewed Chick with Mushroom. You will be touched by the simplicity and straightforwardness here.
Zengtongtun Village (曾通屯) - a forgotten winter fairyland on earth
Zengtongtun is on the northern part of Wusong Island where the river diverges, which makes it easier to form the rime landscape here. There is an old saying that goes like “If you want to appreciate the beauty of rime, come to Zengtong”. The strange shape of trees, the weeping willows along the rivers covered with crystal frost flowers and the wind blowing wickers shining under the sun, all makes this place a world forgotten winter fairyland! The west side of Zengtong Village is a recommended place for taking photos of rime and watching the sunrise and sunset. There are many peculiar-shaped trees along the river, especially gorgeous after hanging the rime.
Wulajie Manchu Town (乌拉街满族镇) - one of the main birthplaces of Manchu
Wulajie Manchu Town is a must pass through place on the way to Rime Island. The town still retains the traditional Manchu customs and many historical sites, such as Dasheng Wula Administrative Government Office, Hou Mansion, Kui Mansion, the ancient city wall and ancient trees, etc. Wulajie Town is a good place to learn more about Manchu customs, Sanman culture, costumes, songs and dances. Wulajie is also an important place for Shamanistic cultural activities. The scale of shamanistic activities in this street is unmatched in the world. Also, the authentic Manchu hotpot there will also get a feast of your appetite.
Zengtongtun Village on Wusong Island
Wula Manchu Hotpot
Weather, Best Time to Visit & Dressing Tips of Wusong Island
Jilin city is a temperate sub-humid monsoon climate with distinct four seasons. Spring is dry with little rain, summer is warm and rainy, autumn is cool and sunny, winter is long and cold. The annual average temperature of the whole area is 3℃ ~ 5℃. The average temperature in January is the lowest, usually between -18℃ and -20℃. Winter (from December to next February) is the best season to enjoy the rime scenery on Wusong Island. The ideal time for rime shooting is between 10:00-11:30 every day.
- Clothing: Waterproof jackets and pants, gaiters, genouillere warm-keeping trousers, down coat, big backpack, fleece coat, waterproof mountaineering shoes, hiking boots. Better wearing coats with bright colors, like red, yellow, etc. With a white misty rime landscape as background, you might get a perfect picture.
- Scarfs: scarf is not only a winter accessory, but also will help you to keep warm.
- Gloves: Be sure to choose an outdoor style. Hands will freeze if you stay outside for a long time without sufficient thick gloves.
- Earmuffs: Wear earmuffs, especially fluffy white and red ones, for a better photo shoot.
- Winter Hat: Mainly to keep warm and windproof, posing and acting cute is auxiliary.
- Kettles: Thermal bottle with 2-3 liters of drinking water.
- Sunglasses: With strong sunlight, tourists need sunglasses to prevent snow blindness.
Best Scenery of Wusong Island
Dressing Tips of Wusong Island
How to Get to & around Wusong Island, Jilin
Wusong Island is located in Wulajie Manchu Town, Longtan District, Jilin City, about 40km north from the city center of Jilin City, which takes about 1.5 hours by car. With no train stations around, most visitors would fly or take a train to Jilin city first, and then transfer to car, taxi or buses to get to Wusong Island.
Travel With China Discovery
Take a private tour with China Discovery and you will no longer need to worry about how to get to Jilin city or travel from Jinlin city to Wusong Island, and our experienced private car driver will pick you up from the airport, train stations or any other places in Jilin city and then send you to Wusong Island. Along the trip, our local guide and driver would well arrange every step to provide you with a comfortable trip. If interested, you can take a visit to some other attractions along the way, such as Wulajie Manchu Town, Hantun Village, etc. It takes about 1.5-2 hours by car. If time permits, you can continue your trip to Changbai Mountain, Jinpo Lake, China Snow Town, Yabuli Ski Resort and finally reach the “Kingdom of Winter” - Harbin.
>> 7 Days Amazing Northeast China Winter Tour with Changbai Mountain & Wusong Island (Harbin / China Snow Town / Changbaishan / Wusong Island)
Get to Jilin City - By air or train
Jilin City and Changchun City share the same airport - Changchun Longjia International Airport (长春龙嘉国际机场). The airport is about 62km away from Jilin City. It has opened more than 20 domestic and international air routes, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, etc.
Jilin has a well established railway transportation system, well-connected with other cities in north China (Changchun, Shenyang, Dalian, Harbin, Beijing, etc.) by high-speed rails. There are also normal trains connected Jilin to Tianjin, Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Harbin, etc.
Jilin City to Wusong Island
There are 2 main scenic spots on Wusong Island, Hantun Village and Zengtongtun Village. Hantun is located at the northeast opposite side of Wusong island. Zengtong village is on the southern-most part of Wusong island. There is no train or direct bus to get to Wusong Island. Therefore, private cars and taxis are the top recommended ways of travelling.
- Get to Wusong Island by Private Car: Book a private car in advance is the most convenient and time-saving way to get to Wusong Island. You can go whenever you like and arrange the touring schedule according to your own preference.
- Get to Wusong Island by Taxi: It would cost about CNY 150-200 by taking a taxi from Jilin Train Station to Hantun or Zengtongtun.
- Jilin City - Hantun by Bus: Independent travelers can take a bus from Jinlin Train Station to Wulajie Town first, then transfer to a taxi to get to Hantun Village.
- Jilin City - Zengtong by Bus: Take the bus at Jilin Long-distance Bus Station and get off at Tuchengzi, hire a taxi to get to the ferry of Zengtong Village, then take a ferry to Zengtong Village.
Private Car Service by China Discovery
Jilin Rime Photography Tips | How to Take Gorgeous Photos of the Rime?
In winter, the temperature in Jilin is very low, which can reach minus 20-30℃. In such a cold season, taking extraordinary photos outdoors is a big challenge for photographers. Firstly, you should be well prepared for the cold, especially when shooting at a low temperature, so as to protect cameras.
- Shoot when the time is right: The reflection and color of sunlight in the early morning makes it a good time for photography. It is generally recommended to shoot at 4 to 5am when the fog rises.
- Backlight photography: In order to obtain the rime pictures with rich layers and high quality, shooting against the light or crossing the light is recommended.
- Clever use of Camera Lens: In order to highlight the screen effect of the rime picture, and get a higher purity of photos, makes the sky become bluer in the picture. Polarizing lens, skylight lens can be added in front of the lens.
- Control the Exposure: When you measure light with an average photometer, the photometric readings tend to be higher. Therefore it is suggested to add 1 to 2 level aperture compensation on the basis of light reading, which can make the rime more glittering and translucent.
- Change the Shooting Perspective: You need to make full use of the diverse gestures of different objects, to make the rime more tacit coordination with the main scenery, enhance the meaning of the picture. In this way, photos of the rime will be more interesting and appealing.
Sunset in Wusong Island
Sunrise in Wusong Island
More Travel Tips about Wusong Island in Jilin
- 1. Accommodation and Where to Stay: In order to see the most amazing rime scenery, most people would stay one night in and around Wusong Island to see the sunset and sunrise. Hantun village is the top recommended place to stay. Hantun Village is on the opposite bank of Wusong Island. It's one of the best places to enjoy the view of rime in a distance. Moreover, you can also experience the most authentic northeast Chinese customs and culture here. If you only have half a day and would like a quiet tour around the island, and have a higher standard for accommodation, you can choose to stay at hotels in Jilin city. It's about 40km from Jilin city center to Wusong Island, which takes about 1.5 hours by car. There are many luxurious and comfortable hotels at a reasonable price for visitors to choose from.
- 2. Entrance Ticket: entrance from Hantun Village CNY 60/pp, entrance from ferry of Zengtong Village with Ice and Snow World CNY 80/pp.
- 3. Other Places in Jilin City to Appreciate the Rime: Except for Wusong Island, there are some other places in Jilin City where visitors may have a chance to appreciate the rime, such as Songjiang Road (松江路) and Jiangbin Park (江滨公园) at Jilin city center, Ashiha (阿什哈) at suburb of Jilin city, Beidahu Ski Resort (北大壶滑雪场), Hongshi Lake (红石湖) and Baishan Lake (白山湖), etc.
Other Famous Attractions in Jinlin Province
Changbai Mountain - One of the Top 10 Mountains in China
Changbai Mountain (长白山) is a dormant volcano that lies on the border of Jilin Province and North Korea. The most famous scenic spot of Changbai Mountain is Tianchi Lake at the top. A lot of visitors come so many times just to get a panoramic view of China's largest crater lake. Although the fame of Tianchi Lake is enough to overshadow everything, it still doesn't represent the whole picture of her. The magnificent Changbai Waterfall, delicate Luyuan Pool, quiet Valley Forest, etc. are all present the charm of Changbai Mountain National Nature Reserve.
Jingpo Lake - the Largest Mountain Barrier Lake in China
Formed by a volcanic eruption 10,000 years ago, Jingpo Lake (镜泊湖) is the largest mountain barrier lake in China and the second largest in the world. The scenic area is mainly divided into three parts: Jingpo Lake Scenic Area, Jingpo Canyon, Crater Underground Forest. There are many natural scenic spots along the lake and the Diaoshuilou Waterfall is the most famous scenic spot in Jingpo Lake. Every summer when the water roars, visitors may have a chance to see the cliff diving performance by the No.1 Chinese Cliff Diving Person.
Tianchi on Changbai Mountain
Diaoshuilou Waterfalls in Jingpohu Global Geopark of China
How to Plan a Jilin Rime Winter Photogaphy Tour?
In order to enjoy the amazing scenery of sunset and sunrise in Wusong Island, most people would stay at least 1 night in and around Wusong Island. If you have a long winter vacation and want to see all highlights in northeast China in winter, you may extend your journey to Changbai Mountain (1 day), Jingpo Lake (0.5 day), China Snow Town (2 days), Yabuli Ski Resort (2-4 day), and finally end your journey at Harbin (2-3 days) - the Ice and Snow Kingdom in China.
▶ 7 Days Amazing Northeast China Winter Tour with Changbai Mountain & Wusong Island
▶ 6 Days China Snow Town & Changbai Mountain Tour from Harbin
Apart from the snow winter tour in northeast China, a lot of visitors prefer to travel from Beijing after the discovery of winter snowy Great Wall. Moreover, you can also spend 3-4 days to Huangshan for snowy Yellow Mountain, 1-2 days to snowy Mount Emei, 1-2 days to Xiling Snow Mountain for skiing fun, etc.
▶ 6 Days Beijing & Harbin Stunning Winter Tour
▶ 4 Days Classic Leshan Giant Buddha & Mount Emei Tour from Chengdu
▶ 2 Days Xiling Snow Mountain Ski Tour from Chengdu
For visitors prefer a warm winter vacation, you are recommended to enjoy 5-7 days in Yunnan to discover Kunming, Dali and Lijiang for pleasant sunny days with ethnic minority culture, or 2-4 days in Xiamen to wander around Gulangyu Island with a side trip to Tulou Cluster, or enjoy the 4-7 days enjoying the Cantonese food and theme parks fun in Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong, or at least 3 days in Sanya to fully relax your arms and legs, etc. Travel with us to start your coming China winter vacation!
▶ 6 Days Yunnan Essence Tour (Kunming, Dali & Lijiang)
▶ 3 Days Xiamen City Leisure Tour
Travel with China Discovery in Jilin Province
Since transport to Wusong Island is not that convenience, it is a good idea to travel with China Discovery and let us take care of everything for you! Our local drivers will escort you to Wusong Island and other spots with comfortable licensed private car. As well, if you want to extend to other destinations in Jilin or other northeast destinations in China such as Harbin, Changchun, etc. you can add them before or after Wusong Island tour. And our English-speaking tour guide will accompany you all the way, showing you the best travelling route and telling you beautiful stories of Jilin Province.
The tour can be tailor-made according to your group size, time, physical condition, plan, interest, budget and every special need. Please feel free to contact us if you need any help! Or, Customize your tour with free quotation now!
Keep Reading About Jilin
- Jilin Tours
- Jilin City Travel Guide
- Jilin Weather
- Where to Stay in Jilin
- Jilin Transportation
- Jilin Maps
- Changchun Transportation
- Beidahu Ski Resort
- Club Med Beidahu
- Ancient Koguryo Kingdom
- Chagan Lake
Keep Reading About Changbaishan
- Changbaishan Tours
- Changbaishan Ski Resort
- Changbaishan Weather
- Where to Stay in Changbaishan
- Changbaishan Transportation
- Changbaishan Maps
More Travel Articles for Winter Travel
- How to Plan a Winter Vacation to China
- Customize Your Own Winter Tours
- 10 Best Places to Visit in Winter in China
- 15 Best Things to Do in China in Winter
- Top 5 Warm Places to Visit in China
- 10 Best Cold Weather Winter Destinations in China
- Top 10 Ski Resorts in China
- Top 7 Winter Festivals and Events in China
- China in December: Weather and Things to Do
- China in January: Weather and Things to Do
- China in February: Weather and Things to Do
- Travel Tips and Weather for Visiting China in Winter
Recommended Jilin Tours
Top 3 Jilin tours chosen by most customers to explore Jilin in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 6 Days In-depth Harbin Tour with China Snow Town & Yabuli Skiing
Harbin / China Snow Town / Yabuli Ski Resort / Harbin
- 6 Days China Snow Town & Changbai Mountain Tour from Harbin
Harbin / China Snow Town / Changbai Mountain
- 7 Days Amazing Northeast China Winter Tour with Changbai Mountain & Wusong Island
Harbin / China Snow Town / Jingpo Lake / Dunhua / Changbai Mountain / Jilin
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: