Chifeng Weather, Climate & Temperature, Best Time to Visit Chifeng
Chifeng situated in southeast Inner Mongolia belongs to the temperate semi-arid continental monsoon climate zone with distinct four seasons. The annual average temperature is around 0°C ~ 7°C, with the lowest average temperature of around -11°C in January and the highest average temperature about 20°C ~ 24°C in July. The annual average rainfall is about 380mm, which decreases gradually from southwest to northeast. For your better understanding of the weather condition of Chifeng and planning the detailed time to visit Chifeng, please check our detailed Chifeng weather and seasonal information for help! If you have any question, feel free to contact us anytime!
Best Time to Visit Chifeng
You can visit Chifeng nearly all around the year. However, the best time is from summer to autumn (from June to early October), when is better to enjoy more comfortable temperature and more beautiful sightseeing, including the emerald grassland scenery, resplendent golden leaves and prairie, with rural life scenes. July, August and September is usually the peak season for sightseeing and photography.
- ☛ 4 Days Bashang Grassland Unparalleled Landscape Tour
Best Hohhot Tour:
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Seasons to Go
Four seasons in Chifeng differs a lot. Spring (April to May) is short, dry with frequent strong wind and increasing temperature; summer (June to August) is long, a little hot and rainy; autumn (September to October) is short with lots of clear days, sharp temperature drop and early frost; winter (November to March) is long and cold with a few snow but frequent wind. Rainfall concentrates in July, August and September. Each season has its own highlights to discover to show the beauty of Chifeng. Check the detailed feature of each season at below to decide when to start your Chifeng trip in Inner Mongolia.
Chifeng Summer (June, July & August)
Summer in Chifeng is usually from June to August, sometimes lasts to early September. It is the best time to appreciate the lush grassland view around Ulan Butong, Gonggeer, Denglonghe, Talinhua, etc. with a large spread of green covering the land, making the luxuriant and pleasant wonderland for adorable flocks, herds and horses. Clear blue sky often shows up for your enjoyment of the true freedom and release. Besides, Naadam Festival and Festival Aobao make the prairie an enormous jubilant gala for Mongolian talents and hospitality. However, prices of almost things would be higher.
The average temperature in summer is about 10°C ~ 24°C. The highest temperature may exceeds 30°C in the hottest month of July. Sunny days and rainy days appear mainly the similar frequently. While temperatures drop quickly from day to night, it is highly suggested prepare some light warm clothes for the cold night.
What to Wear in Summer
Shorts, pants, long-sleeves, long skirts, trousers, light coats, comfortable walking shoes, hats, umbrella, sunblock, etc.
Seasonal Activities in Summer
1. Stroll around famous Ulan Butong Grassland to appreciate the lush emerald prairie and dense forest and play with local groups of horses and sheep.
2. Encounter with Gonggeer Grassland to marvel at the relaxing view of endless silk-like prairie reaching far to the bound of the blue sky and feel the pasture life pace.
3. Visit Chifeng Museum to have a better and comprehensive understanding of influential Red Mountain Civilization and the culture of Khitan tribe of Liao Dynasty.
4. Go to Asihatu Stone Forest to admire various shapes of granite piles on the green carpet of Hexigten Global Geopark created by talented nature.
5. Join Naadam Festival in late July to early August to watch the wonderful competition skills and artistic shows of Mongolian boys and girls.
6. Visit Ka La Qin Prince Museum in Harqin Banner to admire the exquisite courtyard display and hear the historic stories of the past princes in Qing Dynasty.
7. Discover the interesting Liao Shangjing Museum to appreciate the treasured historical mural paintings, coins, ceramics, gold wares, and so on and hear the stories of Liao Dynasty and Khitan ethnic tribe.
8. Have a leisure walk at Red Mountain Park to appreciate the seasonal lotus flowers, lake view and the pamorama of Chifeng City.
Gonggeer Grassland in Summer
Ulan Butong Grassland in Summer
Chifeng Weather in June
Chifeng Weather in July
Chifeng Weather in August
Chifeng Autumn (September to October)
Autumn is mainly from early or middle September to October, which is the most beautiful season of Ulan Butong Grassland and nearly whole Hexigten Global Geopark and lots of other nature tourist spots. Just take your camera to catch all the fantastic shining golden, orange, yellow and red colors among the prairies, forests, lakes, parks, driving ways, etc. Middle September to early October is the most popular time to catch its unbeatable spectacle.
Average temperature in autumn is around 16°C ~ 28°C, which drops quickly to be taken over by the coming winter. Also, frequent clear sunny days help you enjoy good mood and beautiful travel photos.
What to Wear in Autumn
Long-sleeves, trousers, sweaters, coats, socks, comfortable walking shoes, hats, scarves, umbrella, sunblock, etc.
Seasonal Activities in Autumn
1. Shoot the best splendid autumn colors of the grasslands, forests, lakes and more highlights of the not-missing Ulan Butong Grassland.
2. Catch the charming dense golden forest of Huanggangling National Forest Park.
3. Enjoy the different yellow grassland views and grass harvest scenes at Gonggeer, Denglonghe and other outstanding grasslands in Chifeng.
4. Immerse into the worthy driving moments along the golden birches lined road of Da Da Route, A Re Route in Hexigten Banner.
5. Admire the tranquil water scenery and reflection at Dalinur Lake and try the relaxing boating exprience.
6. Wander around to appreciate the strange but interesting Asihatu Stone Forest with orange and red autumn dyed trees.
7. Have fun with various activities like sand sliding, camel riding, desert driving, etc. at Yulong Sand Lake with desert and lake beauty.
Hot Chifeng Autumn Tours:
Ulan Butong Grassland in Autumn
Huanglianggang National Forest Park in Autumn
Chifeng Weather in September
Chifeng Weather in October
Chifeng Winter (November ~ March)
Winter in Chifeng is very long and cold. It is relatively the shoulder season for travel, but you can also appreciate the snow covered forest and some landmarks in different winter charm. Hexigten is still popular for the winter travel festival. And it is the peak time for birding, winter fishing and skiing in Chifeng.
Temperature is very low in winter, with the average one around -6°C ~ 6°C, thus, you need to wear very warm clothes to defeat the cold. However, there are many sunny days, and it rains very few and snow a little. January is usually the coldest month, with the lowest temperature drop below -15°C.
What to Wear in Winter
Thick sweaters, thick coat, down jackets, warm trousers, long underwear, boots, comfortable and warm walking shoes, wool hat, gloves, winter scarves, sunblock, etc.
Seasonal Activities in Winter
1. Go to Asihatu Stone Forest to savor the different granite rocks covered by white snow under azure sky.
2. Visit Liao Shangjing Museum to appreciate the treasured historical mural paintings, coins, etc. and hear the stories of Liao Dynasty and Khitan people.
3. Watch various migrant birds at Dalinur Lake and enjoy your own quiet time.
4. Enjoy fun time skiing at Meilingu.
5. Wander around Ka La Qin Prince Mansion to admire the precious well-preserved mansion in Mongol, Manchu, Tibetan and traditional Chinese charm.
6. Pay a holy visit to Zhaomiao Temple to see those left grottoes from Liao era and soak in the rich Buddhist culture in Inner Mongolia region.
Migrant Birds at Dalinur in Winter
Chifeng Weather in November
Chifeng Weather in December
Chifeng Weather in January
Chifeng Weather in February
Chifeng Weather in March
Chifeng Spring (April ~ May)
Spring is Chifeng is relatively short, mainly from April to May. Temperature rises gently to get warmer and the average temperature is about -12°C ~ 1°C. Fresh blossom and buds appear to make feel the new and vibrancy of this season. You can enjoy the flowery grassland which is not green yet but much more quiet. And various parks and mountains are popular to see the different colors of the new flowers.
What to Wear in Spring
Long-sleeves, trousers, sweaters, winter coats, down jacket, warm socks, comfortable walking shoes, boots, hats, winter scarves, gloves, sunblock, etc.
Seasonal Activities in Spring
1. Go to Red Mountain Park to enjoy local life and admire Chifeng City overview from the red mountain peak.
2. Wander around Ka La Qin Prince Mansion to appreciate the delicate garden building cluster and savor the literal charm among various excellent designs.
3. Visit Liao Shangjing Museum to understand more about diverse aspects of the past Liao Dynasty and admire many valuable historical collections.
4. Go to Zhaomiao Temple to admire the rich Buddhist culture among this “Wutai Mountain” in northern China.
Yulong Sand Lake in May
Chifeng Weather in April
Chifeng Weather in May
How to Plan a Chifeng Tour
Best Time to Visit Chifeng: All year round; middle June to August for emerald grassland; September to October for autumn photography; November to next February for birding and winter scenery and activities.
How to Get There: Fly to Yulong Airport from Beijing (1.5hrs), Shanghai (3 hrs), Qingdao (2 hrs), Dalian (1 hr & 15 mins), Tianjin (1 hr & 20 mins), Zhengzhou (2 hrs & 10 mins), Hohhot (1 hr & 15 mins), Hulunbuir (1 hr & 45 mins), etc.; bullet trains to Chifeng Railway Station from Beijing (2.5 hrs), Shenyang (3 hrs), Dalian (5 hrs)...
Visitors usually plan 4-6 days in Chifeng to discover Yulong Sand Lake with top highlights in Hexigten Global Geopark like Dali Nur Lake, Asihatu Stone Forest, Huanggangliang Forest Park, Gonggeer Grassland and more highlights on the way by car. If you are interested in Liao Dynasty culture, you can add 1 day to enjoy the temples, towers and museums in Ningcheng and Badan Left Banner.
☛ 5 Days Classic Hexigten Scenic Tour with Wulan Butong Grassland (Chifeng)
☛ 4 Days Bashang Grassland Unparalleled Landscape Tour (Chengde - Chifeng)
Besides, it is popular to travel Chifeng with nearby Xilingol in 4-6 days for a more wonderful Inner Mongolia grassland, nature wonders and historical culture exploration. If you got a longer vacation, it is highly recommended to travel to Hulunbuir and Arxan to soak in the beautiful and luxuriant Hulunbuir Grassland, wetlands, forest, rivers, etc.
☛ 6 Days Inner Mongolia Authentic Nature & Dynasties Culture Tour from Chengde (Xilingol - Chifeng)
☛ 5 Days Best Hulunbuir Tour with Grassland Exploration (Hulunbuir)
☛ 9 Days Hulunbuir In-depth Tour with Arxan UNESCO Global Geopark (Hailar - Ergun - Manzhouli - Arxan - Hailar)
☛ 6 Days Inner Mongolia Best Desert & Grassland Tour (Hohhot / Baotou / Kubuqi Desert / Hulunbuir)
Moreover, many people like travel Chifeng with more hot places such as Beijing, Chengde, Xian, Shanghai, Chengdu, etc. to catch more wonders in the vast country. Please tell us if you have any interested destinations or idea about your trip planning!
Travel Chifeng with China Discovery
Have your own ideas of where and what to discover in Chifeng and Inner Mongolia? We China Discovery offers many popular and valuable private Inner Mongolia tour packages taking you to enjoy wonderful exploration of the best highlights of Chifeng, etc. And our professional travel team with experienced travel expert, local English-speaking travel guide and driver and non-smoking comfortable licensed private vehicle will help you throughout the trip from the planning, navigation, hotel arrangement and scenic spot visiting. So you will have the much better travel experience in the large and beautiful Inner Mongolia. You can check our tour packages to get some inspiration. All tours can be tailor-made according to your group size, time, physical condition, plan, interests, budget and any other special need! Please feel free to contact us to customize your own Chifeng trip / Inner Mongolia Trip or if you need any help!
- 4 Days Bashang Grassland
- 5 Days Hexigten + Wulan Butong
- 6 Days Inner Mongolia from Chengde
Chifeng Travel Guide
- Popular Chifeng Tours
- Top Attractions
- Wulan Butong Grassland
- Get to Chifeng
- Beijing to Chifeng
- Chifeng Where to Stay
- Chifeng Maps
More about Inner Mongolia Travel Guide
- Popular Inner Mongolia Tours
- Inner Mongolia Travel Guide
- Top Cities & Destinations
- Hot Attractions
- Things to Do
- Famous Grasslands
- Top Deserts
- Weather & Best Time
- Hotels & Where to Stay
- Photos & Landscpaes
- Travel Tips
- Naadam Festival
- Horse Riding
- Mongolian Yurts
- Inner Mongolia Tour Plan
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 6 Days Inner Mongolia Bests Discovery Tour
Hohhot / Ulanqab / Huitengxile Grassland / Hohhot / Baotou / Yemingsha of Kubuqi Desert / Ordos
- 5 Days Best Hulunbuir Tour with Grassland Exploration
Hulunbuir / Erguna / Manzhouli / Hulunbuir
- 5 Days Classic Hexigten Scenic Tour with Wulan Butong Grassland
Chifeng - Wulan Butong - Hexigten - Chifeng