Henan Weather & Seasons - Best Time to Visit Henan
Henan Province, located in central part of China, has a temperate climate that is humid subtropical to the south of the Yellow River and bordering on humid continental to the north. It has distinct seasonal climate characterized by hot, humid summer and cool to cold, windy, dry winters. For a year, the average temperature is about 14 °C.
The general climatic characteristics of the whole province are dry and windy in spring, hot and humid in summer, sunny and cool in autumn, and less rain and snow in winter. The average temperature in January is - 3 ℃ to 3 ℃, and the temperature in July is 24 ℃ to 29 ℃. The temperature in the whole province is generally high in the east and low in the west, high in the south and low in the north. The temperature difference between mountains and plains is obvious. The frost-free period is about 180-240 days from north to south. The average annual precipitation is about 500-900 mm, with more precipitation in the southern and western mountainous areas. About 50% of the annual precipitation of Henan falls in summer, and the average annual sunshine is about 1285.7-2292.9 hours.
The best time to visit Henan province is the spring and autumn. Fine weather will add more enjoyment when visiting the highlighted attractions in Henan like Longmen Grottoes in Luoyang, Shaolin Temple and Mount Song in Dengfeng, Zhengzhou.
Weather Forecast for Major Cities in Henan:
Average Henan Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Henan Seasons to Go
- It gets warm and temperate since March and spring is usually the best season to visit Henan and joining all kinds of outdoor activities like hiking, learning Shaolin Kungfu, and enjoying the Peony blossoms in Luoyang. It is windy and dry. It is recommended to bring moisturizing cream and lip balm, and wear shirts, long skirts, and thin sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, jeans, etc.
- • Recommended Attractions in Henan in Spring: Zhengzhou (Henan Museum Erqi Tower, Yellow River Scenic Area); Luoyang (Luoyang International Peony Culture Festival, Longmen Grottoes, White Horse Temple); Dengfeng (Hiking on Mount Song, Learning Shaolin Kung Fu, Visiting Temples and Pagodas); Kaifeng (Park, Iron Pagoda Park, Longting Park)
- ✔ Popular Henan Tour: 3 Days Shaolin Kung Fu Tour including Luoyang Highlights
Spring in Luoyang
Zhengzhou in Spring
Dengfeng in Spring
Luoyang in Spring
Kaifeng in Spring
- Summer is from June to August when most regions of Henan are hot, humid, and rainy. It rains some time but not that often. About 50% of precipitation occurs in summer. It is recommended to escape the summer heat in the Mountains of Henan, such as Mt. Song of Shaolin, Mt Yuntai, and watch the Kungfu Show and the Show - Dream of Hua. Remember to wear a sunblock shirt, sunhat, sunglasses, cotton and linen shirts, thin skirts, thin T-shirts, and other breathable clothes, and raincoat or umbrella always.
- • Recommended Attractions in Henan in Summer: Zhengzhou (Henan Museum, Henan Geological Museum, Zhengzhou Museum); Dengfeng (Hiking on Mount Song, Watching Kung Fu Performance and Shows, Learning Shaolin Kung Fu); Luoyang (Longmen Grottoes, White Horse Temple, Xiaolangdi Dam); Kaifeng (Kaifeng Night Show - The Dream of Hua, Kaifeng Night Market at Gulou Food Street)
- ✔ Popular Henan Tour: 3 Days Shaolin Temple Mount Song Hiking Tour
Shaolin Kungfu Show, and Kaifeng Show - Dream of Hua
Zhengzhou in Summer
Dengfeng in Summer
Luoyang in Summer
Kaifeng in Summer
- Autumn (September to November), is the most comfortable season to visit Henan. It is usually cool and sunny in the day time, but a little cold in the night time. Autumn is the most recommended season for you to join the Kaifeng Chrysanthemum Festival, enjoy Autumn Leaves of Mount Song and Mount Yuntai. You can pack some shirts, long skirts, and thin sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, sneakers for early autumn.
- • Recommended Attractions in Henan in Autumn: Zhengzhou (Henan Museum, Erqi Tower, Yellow River Scenic Area); Dengfeng (Enjoying Autumn Leaves of Mount Song, Learning Shaolin Kung Fu, Watching Kung Fu Performance and Shows); Luoyang (White Horse Temple, Baiyun Mountain, Xiangshan Mountain, Longmen Grottoes); Kaifeng (Kaifeng Chrysanthemum Festival, Longting Park, Daxiangguo Temple)
- ✔ Popular Henan Tour: 5 Days Henan Cultural Tour to Luoyang and Kaifeng
Shaolin Temple in Autumn & Chrysanthemum Festival
Zhengzhou in Autumn
Dengfeng in Autumn
Luoyang in Autumn
Kaifeng in Autumn
- In Henan, winter is cold with chilly rain but less snow. The coldest temperature is below -5 °C. It may snow in the mountain area where you can go skiing or you can stay indoors and visit museums in Henan, and the highlight in winter is the Spring Festival Celebrations. You'd better pack winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, sweaters, hiking shoes, snow boots, etc.
- • Recommended Attractions in Henan in Winter: Zhengzhou (Henan Museum, Henan Geological Museum, Zhengzhou Museum); Dengfeng (Enjoying Snowscape, Skiing, Visiting Temples and Pagodas); Luoyang (Mt. Funiu Ski Resort, White Horse Temple); Kaifeng (Millennium City Park - Spring Festival Activities, Kaifeng Museum)
- ✔ Popular Henan Tour: 10 Days China Culture Tour Plus Shaolin Kung Fu Experience
Lantern Festival in Kaifeng and Snow-capped Mt Song
Zhengzhou in Winter
Dengfeng in Winter
Luoyang in Winter
Kaifeng in Winter
How to Plan Your Henan Tour
Top Places to Visit in Henan: Shaolin Temple (Dengfeng), Longmen Grottoes & White Horse Temple (Luoyang), Yuntai Mountain (Jiaozuo), Guoliang Village (Xinxiang)…
Best Time to Visit Henan: April ~ May & September ~ November for most places; March ~ October for Shaolin Temple
How to Get to Henan: Take flight to Zhengzhou or high speed train to Zhengzhou and Luoyang from Beijing, Xian, etc.
As a cradle of Chinese civilization, Henan is a splendid land with innumerable cultural and historical legacies and natural sights. According to your time and personal interest and budget, your Henan tour can be flexibly arranged, from 2 days’ best highlights tour of Shaolin Temple and Luoyang to essence-packed trip within 1 week.
Usually, tourists spend 2 days visiting Luoyang and Shaolin Temple together and spending 1 day each, excluding the arrival day. This classic and popular travel route will bring you to visit Longmen Grottoes and White Horse Temple in Luoyang. And then transfer to Shaolin Temple directly; use 1 full day to realize your Chinese Kung Fu dream by visiting the birthplace of Shaolin Kung Fu and watching a Kung Fu show. (Kung Fu training class are available in some martial arts schools near Shaolin Temple, please contact us to get more reliable recommendations.) If you want to travel at a leisurely pace in Luoyang or Shaolin Temple, it’s suggested to have 1 to 2 more days to visit Luoyang Museum and other cultural relics in Luoyang, or try a short-term Shaolin Kung Fu training class around Shaolin Temple.
With 5 to 6 days and strong interests in Henan’s history, you can extend trip further from Zhengzhou to Kaifeng and Anyang - two famous Chinese ancient capitals. Making a day trip is the most common schedule for each place. If you would like to see gorgeous scenic spots in Henan, maybe you can have a day tour to Yuntai Mountain or Guoliang Village which both show amazing landform, green mountains and refreshing nature.
Close distance, convenient transportation and inherited history make Beijing and Xian perfect matches of Henan. So you can capture more brilliant cultural heritages, like the Great Wall in Beijing, Terracotta Army in Xian. A popular Beijing tour needs 3 days while 2 days is suitable for Xian. To make your China trip more meaningful, interesting and memorable, you may travel Henan with more fabulous destinations, like Shanghai (the Bund, Yuyuan Bazzar…), Chengdu (Giant Panda, Jiuzhaigou, Mount Emei, Leshan Giant Buddha), Guilin (Li River, Longsheng Rice Terrace…) and so on.
Travel with China Discovery
China Discovery is an experienced, professional and a reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. In order to have a hassle-free travel and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended travelling with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange knowledgeable local tour guide, excellent accommodation and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well and get better understanding of Buddhism, Shaolin Zen and Kung Fu culture of Henan. You may select a favorite from our most popular Henan tours or contact us to design a unique itinerary according to your personal time and preference.
We have helped many global travelers enjoy their memorable wonderful trips to Henan for the past few years. Among them, a couple from the UK traveled with us and spent 21 Happy Days in Luoyang, Dengfeng, Beijing, Xi'an and 5 Other Cities in Northern China, and shared us their special travel story!
- Popular Henan Tours
- Dengfeng (Shaolin Temple) Tours
- Popular Luoyang Tours
- Popular Zhengzhou Tours
Top Henan Tours
Helpful Henan Travel Guide
Recommended Henan Tours
Top 3 Henan tours chosen by most customers to explore Henan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 3 Days Essence of Luoyang Tour
Luoyang / Dengfeng / Zhengzhou
- 3 Days Shaolin Temple Longmen Grottoes Tour from Zhengzhou
Zhengzhou / Shaolin Temple / Luoyang
- 6 Days Henan Highlights Tour
Zhengzhou / Anyang / Kaifeng / Dengfeng / Luoyang