Hangzhou Weather & Seasons
With an average annual temperature of 16.5 °C (61.7 °F), Hangzhou is suitable for traveling all year round, but the most pleasant and popular seasons are Spring and Autumn.
Like many other cities in China, Hangzhou is humid subtropical with four distinctive seasons. It has abundant rainfall with an average annual of 1450mm. Usually, there are two rainy seasons in Hangzhou - one is the Plum Rain Season (late June to early July), the other comes with heavy rains and potential typhoons in August and September, but typhoons seldom strike it directly. June and September are the rainiest months with 200mm failing in each.
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Hangzhou Seasons to Go
Hangzhou, described as “the City of Heaven, the most magnificent in all the world”, is good to pay a visit all year round. The West Lake is like a magician, showing its perfect appearance in all seasons and every kind of weather. Apart from the great sightseeing, West Lake continuously changes her colorful clothes and play diverse gorgeous female roles in four seasons with the prosperously growing flowers, like tulips, sakura, lotus, chrysanthemum, osmanthus, wintersweet, etc. Let’s follow the steps and enjoy the beautiful scenery of four seasons in Hangzhou.
- Spring is from March to May. In spring, everything is in bloom. With a warm temperature, it is relatively comfortable to visit Hangzhou at this time. It is the fantastic experience to take a stroll, ride a bike or take a cruise on the water to appreciate the gentle wind and intoxicate water.
- Seasonal Activities
- Catch the opportunities to walk on the Su Causeway and enjoy the flowers and appreciate the peach blossom and willow flowing just like in the mist in Hangzhou. Also, peonies, tulips, magnolia, etc. make West Lake full of vigor. Besides, you can visit the Prince Bay Park to admire the romantic scene of blossoms of sakura, tulips, etc. Dragon Well Tea Plantation is full of green tea leaves, so you could see the tea planters are working in the tea terraces. Also, you could pay a visit to China National Tea Museum to experience the tea-plucking, watch tea drying, and taste the new fresh Longjing tea.
- Summer in Hangzhou is usually rainy and hot, extending from late June to late September. The hottest days fall in July with an average temperature of 33.8°C, and sometimes the highest temperature may be up to 40°C. However, you can enjoy very distinguished sightseeing in this charming city.
- Seasonal Activities
- It is the best time to see the blossoming lotuses in the West Lake. And “Curved Yard and Lotus Pool” is one of the best places to capture some excellent photos. Zigzag Bridge is almost covered by dark green lotus leaves. With the faint scent, you’ll suddenly feel that summer is gone. Also, it is very relaxing to visit the nearby water town like Wuzhen and Xitang Water Town. Xixi National Wetland Park is super emerald and eye-pleasing during this season, and all the clear water is like a green gem that will drive all your hot away.
- Autumn starts from October to early December. The pleasant dry and cool weather makes it the best time to visit Hangzhou. In the cool and sunny day, you can smell the sweet-scented osmanthus flowers from far away.
- Seasonal activity:
- Every year, on the eighteenth day of the right lunar month (around Mid-Autumn Day), it is the best time to see the marvelous spectacle Qiantang River Tidal Bore. Good to watch the Qiantang River Tide Bore in the daytime and enjoy lakes and the moon in the evening. At the bridge in the east of Bai Causeway, you can see the brilliant golden scenery of the platans. Moreover, you can go to West Lake to enjoy the picturesque sightseeing at Yanggong Causeway, where the autumn leaves flying in the air and falling on the water gives you a terrific dream-like experience. Beside, you can visit Longjing Road to appreciate the red maple leaves and golden ginkgo leaves. Lingyin Temple could be said amazing for its splendid view of autumn leaves of golden, orange and red, which attracts many people to appreciate every fall. And the whole Hangzhou city full of the faint scent of the sweet-scented osmanthus flowers will make you very pleased, especially when you ride or drive with the windows open along the Yanggong Causeway or Hupao Road.
- Winter runs from December to February. The coldest month is January with an average temperature of 3°C. This is the time snow falling in the area, covering the lake and making the area particularly beautiful. Please dress warmly if you visit Hangzhou in winter.
- Seasonal Activities
- A person in Ming Dynasty said: The scenery of West Lake is the best in winter. You could go to the Gushan Hill to appreciate the wintersweet of red and white which can live in the cold weather and enjoy the fragrance. And also the “Remnant Snow on the Bridge” in Winter, one of the 10 famous scenes of West Lake, will surely give you the poetic romance.
Recommended Hangzhou Tours
Top 3 Hangzhou tours chosen by most customers to explore Hangzhou in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Essence of Hangzhou Tour