Hangzhou Weather, Best Time to Visit Hangzhou & West Lake
Like many other eastern cities in China, Hangzhou, well-known as the “heaven on earth”, is humid subtropical with four distinctive seasons. The annual average temperature in Hangzhou is about 18℃. With abundant rainfall, the annual precipitation is 1450 mm and with average relative humidity of about 70%. Usually, there are two rainy seasons in Hangzhou - one is the Plum Rain Season (late June to early July), the other comes with heavy rains and potential typhoons in August and September, but typhoons seldom strike it directly. June and September are the rainiest months with 200mm failing in each.
Check details information below about Hangzhou climate, weather forecast, best time to visit, average temperature by months and highlights in four different seasons to plan your Hangzhou tour in 2023.
Best Time to Visit Hangzhou
To savour the beauty of Hangzhou, there is no season or weather limit. West Lake is like a magician. No matter how the seasons and weather change, West Lake can always show her transcendent beauty to visitors. Considering the temperature, rainfall and comfortable level, the most pleasant and popular seasons for traveling to Hangzhou are Spring and Autumn.
The warm breeze and the intoxicating water makes spring the most suitable time for strolling along Su Causeway, picking tea leaves at Longjing Village and enjoying sakura and peach flowers in their full blossom. Osmanthus fragrance miles in autumn, West Lake is seething with tourists. Moreover, visitors may also appreciate the magnificent Qiantang River Tidal Bore and the glorious full-moon around the Mid-Autumn Festival. Although the weather is hot in midsummer, the West Lake lotus is in full bloom under the scorching sun. Hide yourself in the bamboo surrounded path, hear the distant bell ringing in the late afternoon, overlook in a distance, the sunset glow tinted the sky red like a picture.
- ☛ 2 Days Essence of Hangzhou Tour
- ☛ 3 Days Best Hangzhou Tour with Wuzhen Water Town
Best Hangzhou Tour:
Average Hangzhou Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Hangzhou Seasons to Go
Hangzhou has four distinctive seasons. Spring is warm and cosy from March to May. Summer is hot and rainy from June to August. Autumn is from Septemebr to November, invigorating and sunny; Decemebr, January and February are winter in Hangzhou, gloomy and cold but have a different feeling. Apart from the great sightseeing, West Lake continuously changes her colorful clothes and plays diverse gorgeous female roles in four seasons with the prosperously growing flowers, like tulips, sakura, lotus, chrysanthemum, osmanthus, wintersweet, etc. Let’s follow the steps and enjoy the beautiful scenery of four seasons in Hangzhou.
Hangzhou Spring (March, April, May)
Spring is from March to May. The temperatures are variable but generally warmer. The average temperature in spring is around 20℃. Spring is the season with the highest volume of rainfall, monthly precipitation gradually increases from 138mm in March to 147mm in May. After the rain, the lakes, hills and pavilions peep out from a thin layer of fog. In spring, everything is in bloom. It is a fantastic experience to take a stroll, ride a bike or take a cruise on the water to appreciate the gentle wind and intoxicate water.
What to Wear in Hangzhou Spring
Light sweaters or jackets with trousers or jeans would be enough. Umbrella or other rain gear are necessary when visiting Hangzhou in spring.
Seasonal Activities in Hangzhou Spring
1. Catch the opportunities to walk on the Su Causeway and enjoy the flowers and appreciate the peach blossoms and willow flowing just like in the mist in Hangzhou. Also, peonies, tulips, magnolia, etc. make West Lake full of vigor.
2. Besides, you can visit Prince Bay Park to admire the romantic scene of blossoms of sakura, tulips, etc.
3. Dragon Well Tea Plantation is full of green tea leaves, so you could see the tea planters working in the tea terraces. Also, you could pay a visit to the China National Tea Museum to experience tea-plucking, watch tea drying, and taste the new fresh Longjing tea.
Scenes of West Lake in Spring
1. Dawn at the Su Causeway in Spring (苏堤春晓): In spring, peach blossoms on two sides of Su Causeway, trees send out new shoots, the scene is full of vitality, coupled with the pleasantly warm spring breeze, inducing a feeling of well-being.
2. Fish Viewing at the Flower Pond (花港观鱼): There are carp in the water, flowers by the stream, and pavilions in the garden. Peonies are in full bloom in April. Resting in the pavilion, you can either enjoy the fragrant flowers or see colorful carp and even white peacocks.
3. Orioles Singing in the Willows (柳浪闻莺): The scenic area was the former imperial garden of the Southern Song Dynasty. The layout of the garden is open, fresh, elegant and simple. Overlooking the water, the field of vision is wide, plus the fresh air, makes people feel refreshed. In spring, the yellow warbler is singing in the shade of the willows, hence the garden got the name - "Orioles Singing in the Willows".
4. Dream of the Tiger Spring (虎跑梦泉): Tiger Run Spring is one of the famous springs in Hangzhou. The spring water is clean and pure. Brew Longjing tea with the water from tiger running spring, the fragrant of the tea would overflow from the mouth, refreshes the heart and the mind. Therefore, it’s also being praised as the "Double Unique in West Lake".
Hot Hangzhou Spring Tour:
► 3 Days Classic Hangzhou Tour (at Leisure Pace)
Longjing Tea Pluckers in Longjing Village
Dawn at the Su Causeway in Spring
Hangzhou Weather in March
Hangzhou Weather in April
Hangzhou Weather in May
Hangzhou Summer (June, July, August)
Summer in Hangzhou is usually rainy and hot, extending from June to August. The hottest days fall in July with an average temperature of 33.8°C, and sometimes the highest temperature may be up to 40°C. However, you can enjoy very distinguished sightseeing in this charming city. Even though the total volume of rainfall drops compared with spring, typhoons often occur accompanied by heavy wind and rain from late August to the end of September. The monthly precipitations in June, July and Augus are 150-250 mm.
What to Wear in Hangzhou Summer
Wear any summer clothes, such as shorts, shirts and skirts. Prepare sun protection such as sunglasses and hats, and drink lots of water.
Seasonal Activities in Hangzhou Summer
1. It is the best time to see the blossoming lotuses in West Lake. And “Curved Yard and Lotus Pool” is one of the best places to capture some excellent photos. Zigzag Bridge is almost covered by dark green lotus leaves. With the faint scent, you’ll suddenly feel that summer is gone.
2. It is very relaxing to visit the nearby water towns like Wuzhen and Xitang Water Town.
3. Xixi National Wetland Park is super emerald and eye-pleasing during this season, and all the clear water is like a green gem that will drive all your heat away.
Scenes of West Lake in Summer
1. Lotus Swaying in the Breeze (曲院风荷): There are more than 100 varieties of lotus in the large and small lotus ponds in the park, among which the Lotus Scenic Area is particularly charming. Above the winding lotus ponds, leaves with quartered lines will fill your eyes. Bridges of different shapes were set up over the ponds. People across the bridge, like entering a lotus dream, people and flowers formed a delightful contrast.
2. Leifeng Pagoda in the Sunset (雷峰夕照): The Leifeng Pagoda and the Baoshu Pagoda in the North Mountain are opposite each other across the lake, one south and one north, have the reputation of "Leifeng Peak is like an elder, and Baoshu Pagoda is like a beauty". In summer, whenever the sun is bending in the west, tower shadow across the sky appears. At this time of the sun is also particularly gorgeous, the whole sky became suffused with a red glow, a riot of colours, particularly beautiful!
3. Evening Bell Ringing at the Nanping Hill (南屏晚钟): Nanping Mountain stretches along the southern bank of the Lake. The main peak is hundreds of meters high with flourishing trees and screen-like cliffs. Jingci Temple is at the foot of the mountain. There are melodious sounds of ringing bells out from the temple in the late afternoon every day.
4. Bamboo-line Path at Yunqi (云栖竹径): Yunxi is far away from the marketplace. The mountain road was quiet and secluded, towering bamboo and gurgling streams would accompany you the whole trip.
Hot Hangzhou Summer Tour:
► 3 Days Best Hangzhou Tour with Wuzhen Water Town
► 3 Days Hangzhou Highlights Tour with Qiandao Lake
► 2 Days Moganshan Relaxing Vacation Tour
Wuzhen Water Town in Summer
Lotus Swaying in the Breeze
Leifeng Pagoda in the Sunset
Bamboo-line Path at Yunqi
Hangzhou Weather in June
Hangzhou Weather in July
Hangzhou Weather in August
Hangzhou Autumn (Septemebr, October, November)
Autumn starts from September to early November. The pleasant dry and cool weather makes it the best time to visit Hangzhou. Even the average temperature seems lower than spring, with only about 18°C in October, 12°C in Novembe, but as there are more sunny days, so most of the times when the day is clear you will not feel cold during the daytime. Rainfalls drop significantly in autumn, the total precipitation of three months is even less than 300mm. It’s the perfect time for hiking and photography.
What to Wear in Hangzhou Autumn
Long sleeves, thin overcoat, hoodies and trousers are enough for the short autumn. If you plan to continue your tour to water towns such as Wuzhen and Xitang in late autumn, you are suggested to change the thin coat to a thick one.
Seasonal Activities in Hangzhou Autumn
1. Every year, on the eighteenth day of the right lunar month (around Mid-Autumn Day), it is the best time to see the marvelous spectacle Qiantang River Tidal Bore. Good to watch the Qiantang River Tide Bore in the daytime and enjoy lakes and the moon in the evening. Liuhe Pagoda is one of the best places to appreciate the magnificence of Qiantang River Tidal Bore.
2. Lingyin Temple could be said to be amazing for its splendid view of autumn leaves of golden, orange and red, which attracts many people to appreciate every fall. At the bridge in the east of Bai Causeway, you can see the brilliant golden scenery of the platans. Besides, you can visit Longjing Road to appreciate the red maple leaves and golden ginkgo leaves.
3. The whole Hangzhou city is full of the faint scent of the sweet-scented osmanthus flowers will make you very pleased, especially when you ride or drive with the windows open along the Yanggong Causeway or Hupao Road.
Scenes of West Lake in Autumn
1. Moon over the Peaceful Lake in Autumn (平湖秋月): The scenic area of Pinghu Qiuyue is a long and narrow garden along the lake, suitable for enjoying the moon, drinking tea and resting. Since ancient times, the autumn moon night of West Lake was recognized as a beautiful moment full of poetic.
2. Three Ponds Mirroring the Moon (三潭映月): Around the mid-autumn festival, take a tourist boat to the largest island in the West Lake during night and enjoy the famous vista of Three Ponds Mirroring the Moon, which is the scenery picture we see on the back of 1 Yuan RMB.
3. Two Peaks Piercing the Clouds (双峰插云): The so-called double peaks refer to the south peak and north peak of Tianmu Mountain’s afterpulse. In fine spring and autumn days, the two peaks are an enchanting landscape as they appear and disappear amidst drifting mist. The distant view is like a fairyland.
4. Osmanthus Flower Sea at Manjuelong Village (满陇桂雨): There is a natural village belt and a valley situated between the South Peak and White Crane Peak. Along the mountain paths, there are more than 7,000 osmanthus plants, including thunbergii, odoratus, aurantiacus and semperflorens, etc. When golden autumn comes, hundreds of flowers in bloom, the fragrance of flowers floating in the air and spreading tens of miles, soak into the depths of people’s hearts.
Hot Hangzhou Autumn Tour
► 2 Days Essence of Hangzhou Tour
Moon over the Peaceful Lake in Autumn
Liuhe Listening to the Wave Sound
Three Ponds Mirroring the Moon
Osmanthus Flower Sea at Manjuelong Village
Hangzhou Weather September
Hangzhou Weather in October
Hangzhou Weather in November
Hangzhou Winter (December, January, February)
Winter runs from December to February. The coldest month is January with an average temperature of 4°C. This is the time snow falls in the area, covering the lake and making the area particularly beautiful. The average monthly precipitation in winter is about 100mm.
What to Wear in Hangzhou Winter
Hangzhou’s winter is cloudy and cold. Without the central heating system, visitors are suggested to wear winter coats, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, scarfs, gloves, sweaters, snow boots in winter.
Seasonal Activities in Hangzhou Winter
1. A person in the Ming Dynasty said: The scenery of West Lake is the best in winter. The “Remnant Snow on the Bridge” in Winter, one of the 10 famous scenes of West Lake, will surely give you poetic romance.
2. You could go to Gushan Hill, Lingfeng Peak or Chaoshan Mountain to explore and admire the wintersweet of red and white which can live in the cold weather and enjoy the fragrance.
3. Have fun at Song Dynasty Town in winter. Songcheng is a gathering place of China's intangible cultural heritages. There is not only enjoy the famous indoor and panorama style large scale show - “The Romance of the Song Dynasty” performed in the scenic area, you may also counter festival activities like Spring Festival temple fair in winter.
Scenes of West Lake in Winter
1. Lingering Snow over the Broken Bridge in Winter (断桥残雪): Only in winter, the beauty of the broken bridge can be fully revealed. After fresh snow, the stone bridge which is full of vicissitudes was covered by white snow. Seen from afar, the bridge looks as if it’s a broken sliver chain, amazingly beautiful!
2. Appreciate the Wintersweet Blossom on Gushan Mountain (孤山赏梅): Gushan Mountain, surrounded by water, is one of the best places to admire the beauty of plum. Moreover, Gushan is not only a scenery spot, but also a place where cultural relics are collected. There are Wenlan Pavilion, West Lake World View and Zhejiang Museum and Zhongshan Park in the south, Xiling Printing Society on the west top of the mountain, Qiu Jin's Tomb in the west and Fanghe Pavilion in the northeast slope.
3. Heavenly Wind over Wu Hill (吴山天风): Wushan has a splendid scenery, strange rocks, clear springs and exquisite caves are everywhere. Chenghuang Pavilion is built on the mountain top, hiding in the clouds. Visitors may overlook Qiantang River on the south side of the mountain and go downhill from the east, north or northwest side to the historical blocks like Hefang Old Street, etc.
Hot Hangzhou Winter Tour
► 3 Days Hangzhou & Suzhou Beauty Tour by High Speed Train
Spring Festival Temple Fair in Song Dynasty Town
Lingering Snow over the Broken Bridge in Winter
Appreciate the Wintersweet Blossom on Gushan Mountain
Hangzhou Weather in December
Hangzhou Weather in January
Hangzhou Weather in February
How to Plan a Hangzhou Tour
Things to Do in Hangzhou: West Lake, Lingyin Temple, Longjing tea Plantation, Hefang Street, Xixi National Wetland Park, China National Tea Museum, China National Silk Museum…
How to Get to Hangzhou: International flights from Singapore (5 hrs.), Seoul (6.5 hrs.), etc., domestic flights from Guangzhou (2 hrs.), Beijing (2 hrs.), etc., or high speed trains from Shanghai (1~2 hrs.), Suzhou (1.5~3 hrs.), Huangshan (1.5~2 hrs.), etc.
Best Time to Visit Hangzhou: all year around
Usually, visitors spend 2 days around to enjoy a classic Hangzhou tour to visit the West Lake Scenic Area, including the amazing West Lake, Lingyin Temple, Longjing Tea Plantations, etc. If you want an in-depth Hangzhou tour, you can also pay another half day or so to visit Xixi National Wetland Park, one day around to Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, or one day or so to Thousand Islands Lake, etc. Check all Hangzhou Tours >>
☛ 2 Days Essence of Hangzhou Tour
☛ 3 Days Classic Hangzhou Tour Plus Tea Plantation Exploration
Also, you can spend 1 day to take a side trip to the nearby water towns like Wuzhen and Xitang in Jiaxing, 2~3 days to Putuoshan - one of the four sacred Buddhist Mountains in China, or 1 day to the popular Nanxun Old Town in Huzhou. Check more about Zhejiang Tours >>
☛ 3 Days Best Hangzhou Tour with Wuzhen Water Town
Besides, compared with just travelling Hangzhou, most of the visitors prefer to travel the metropolis Shanghai, Suzhou Gardens and Hangzhou Lakes in One Go! Such an amazing tour will take 5~6 days.
☛ 3 Days Hangzhou & Suzhou Beauty Tour by High Speed Train
☛ 5 Days Shanghai Hangzhou Suzhou Highlights Tour
Some visitors also ride a high speed train to Huangshan to visit the world-famous Yellow Mountain. A Hangzhou Huangshan tour needs about 5 days around.
☛ 5 Days Yellow Mountain Tour from Hangzhou
Have your preferences? Please feel free to tell us your likes and let our professional travel consultants customize a personal tour for you!
Get Inspired by Real Travel Stories of Our Customers
Since 2012, we China Discovery have helped numerous customers to visit Hangzhou and surroundings. With our fully-inclusive private tour packages, all of our customers enjoyed their trips to the West Lake, Lingyin Temple, etc. Some of them kindly shared their precious photos and stories about their Hangzhou journey, just get inspired now.
"Impression Show is a must see when visiting Hangzhou…" - shared by Nguyen (Read her entire travel story: The Pursuit of Natural Beauty with the Beloved one - 14 Days Beautiful China Exploring Tour)
"This last night in Hangzhou led us to explore a different side of West Lake, vastly changing our erstwhile bland impression of the famed tourist site…" - shared by CS from Singapore (Read her entire travel story: Delightful Journey to Poetic Jiangnan Area)
Besides the wonderful travel stories, many customers who visited Hangzhou with China Discovery also send us their first-hand feedbacks about their trip, feel free to read the Hangzhou Reviews and learn what they say about their experience. If you want to start your Hangzhou tour now, don't hesitate to contact us.
Average Temperature & Rainy Days of Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
|Avarage Temp. (°C)||4||6||10||16||21||24||28||28||23||18||12||7|
|Rainy Days (Days)||12||12||16||15||15||15||13||14||13||10||9||8|
- Essence Hangzhou Tour
- 3 Days Hangzhou Wuzhen
- 3 Days Hangzhou Suzhou
- Shanghai Hangzhou Tour
- West Lake
- Lingyin Temple
- Longjing Tea Plantations
- Hefang Street
- Hu Qing Yu Tang
- China National Tea Museum
- China National Silk Museum
- Xixi National Wetland Park
- Liuhe Pagoda
- Qiantang River Tidal Bore
- Wuzhen Water Town
- Xitang Water Town
- Qiandao Lake
- Things to Do
- Get There & Around
- Get to West Lake
- Airport to City
- Hangzhou to Wuzhen
- Xiaoshan Airport
- Hangzhou Train Stations
- Hangzhou High Speed Train
- Hangzhou Metro
- Hangzhou Bus
- West Lake Boat
- Where to Stay
- Hangzhou Hotels
- Hangzhou Maps
- Hangzhou Museums
- Hangzhou Nightlife
- Hangzhou Food
- Hangzhou Biking
- 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit
- Hangzhou Travel FAQs & Tips
- How to Plan Hangzhou Tour
- More Hangzhou Travel Guide
Hangzhou Travel Guide
More about Zhejiang Travel Guide
Recommended Hangzhou Tours
Top 3 Hangzhou tours chosen by most customers to explore Hangzhou in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 5 Days Shanghai Hangzhou Suzhou Highlights Tour
Shanghai / Hangzhou / Suzhou / Shanghai
- 3 Days Hangzhou Suzhou Beauty Tour by High Speed Train
Hangzhou / Suzhou