Gansu lies in the conjunction of Loess Plateau, Qinghai Tibet Plateau and Mongolia Plateau. In result of many kinds of geography forms in Gansu: alpine regions, basins, desert and Gobi, Gansu has a wild climate ranging from subtropical humid monsoon climate to alpine cold climate and dry climate. Generally, there is much sunlight and a hug temperature difference between day and night. It is day, and rains little. The average temperature is between 0～14℃, decreasing from southeast to northwest. Hexi Corridor area is tourist area with an average temperature 0～6℃. The annual precipitation is about 300mm mostly focus in southeastern area.
Lanzhou has a temperate, semi-arid continental monsoon climate. It is dry and warm, and rains little. There is much sunlight through all year around with an approximate length of 2,600 hours. The annual average temperature is 9.3℃, but there is a large temperature difference between day and night.
Another tourist city Dunhuang features in temperate continental arid climate, with four different seasons, plenty of sunshine and little rainfall. The average temperature is 9.3℃. The maximum average temperature is 24.7℃ in July, and the minimum average temperature is - 9.3℃ in January.
Average Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Gansu Seasons to Go
- Spring is generally from February to April. It is still cold in February and March, then gets warmer in April. Spring is not the best travel season, you can barely see green landscape. You can visit Lanzhou where most things to do are gathered in downtown area. Rember to bring warm and thick coat to prevent from the cold in the morning and night.
- Summer is from May to July when most regions of Gansu are warm, and is the best season to visit Gansu. It rains some time but not often. About 70% of precipitation occurs in summer. In southern regions, such as Gannan, you can take a visit to the Sangke Grassland and the famous Labrang Monastery. If your destination is Dunhuang and surrounding, remember to bring sun glasses and sun cream.
- Autumn, from August to October, is another great season to visit Gansu. It is cool in day time, but a little cold in night time, and windy in some days. Autumn is recommended season for you to explore stunning desert views along the Silk Road. Ideal destinations are Dunhuang, Jiayuguan and Lanzhou. Remember to bring coat, sun glasses and sun cream.
- Winter is long and cold in most regions of Gansu. It may snow in middle and southern area, such as Lanzhou, Linxia and Xiahe. The lowest temperature is -14 °C in January. We don't recommend you visit Gansu during winter. If have to, plan the northern destinations, such as Dunhuang and Jiayuguan where is warm. You'd better pack warm coat, scarf, gloves and boots.
Recommended Gansu Tours
Top 3 Gansu tours chosen by most customers to explore Gansu in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 11 Days In-depth Wild Silk Road Adventure Tour (Cultural Relic & Unrivalled Landscape)
Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang - Turpan - Urumqi - Kashgar
- 7 Days Ancient Silk Road Treasure Tour from Tianshui
Tianshui - Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang
- 10 Days Qinghai & Gansu Highlights Tour
Xining - Tongren - Xiahe - Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang