Gansu Weather and Seasons | Best Time to Visit Gansu
Gansu, a northwestern province of China, lies in the conjunction of Loess Plateau, Qinghai Tibet Plateau, and Mongolia Plateau. In the result of many kinds of geography forms in Gansu: alpine regions, basins, desert and Gobi, Gansu has a wild climate ranging from subtropical humid monsoon climate to alpine cold climate and dry climate.
Generally, there are much sunlight and a huge temperature difference between day and night. It rains little. The average temperature is between 0～14℃, decreasing from southeast to northwest. Hexi Corridor area is a tourist area with an average temperature of 0～6℃. The annual precipitation is about 300mm mostly focus in the southeastern area.
Lanzhou, the capital city of Gansu, has a temperate, semi-arid continental monsoon climate. It is dry and warm and rains little. There is much sunlight throughout the year with an approximate length of 2,600 hours. The annual average temperature is 9.3℃, but there is a large temperature difference between day and night.
The must-visit tourist city Dunhuang in Gansu features in a temperate continental arid climate, with four different seasons, plenty of sunshine and little rainfall. The average temperature is 9.3℃. Other popular scenic cities in Gansu, Jiayuguan and Zhangye, are also popular among tourists with a similar climate like Dunhuang.
Best Time to Visit Gansu
Mid-spring to autumn is the best time to visit Gansu, namely from May to to early October. The coldest month usually occurs in January and the hottest day always falls in July.
Weather Forecast for Major Cities in Gansu:
Average Gansu Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Gansu Seasons to Go
- Spring is generally from March to May. It is still very cold in March, then gets warmer in April. The early Spring is not the best travel season, you can barely see the green landscape. You can visit Lanzhou where most things to do are gathered in the downtown area and get to feel the atmosphere of the Chinese Spring Festival. Remember to bring a warm and thick winter coat to prevent the coldness in the morning and night.
- • Recommended Attractions in Gansu in Spring: Lanzhou (Gansu Provincial Museum, White Pagoda Mountain, Binhe Park of Lanzhou); Jiayuguan Fortress (Great Wall Museum, Wei-Jin Tomb); Zhangye (Zhangye Danxia Geopark, Dafo Temple, Muta Temple); Dunhuang (Mogao Caves, Yulin Caves, Mingsha Mountain, Crescent Lake)
- ✔ Popular Gansu Tour: 10 Days Gansu Highlights Tour from Xining
Kangle Grassland in Zhangye
Lanzhou in Spring
Zhangye in Spring
Jiayuguan in Spring
Dunhuang in Spring
- Summer is from June to August when most regions of Gansu are comfortable and warm, and it is the best season to visit Gansu. It rains some time but not often. About 70% of precipitation occurs in summer. In southern regions, such as Gannan, you can take a visit to the Sangke Grassland and the famous Labrang Monastery. If your destination is Dunhuang and surrounding, remember to bring sunglasses and sun cream.
- • Recommended Attractions in Gansu in Summer: Lanzhou (Gansu Provincial Museum, Iron Bridge of Yellow River, White Pagoda Mountain); Zhangye (Zhangye Danxia Geopark, Zhangye National Wetland Park, Binggou Danxia Geopark, Pingshan Grand Canyon); Jiayuguan (Jiayuguan Pass, the hanging Great Wall, Wei-Jin Tomb); Dunhuang (Mogao Caves, Yulin Caves, Shazhou Night Market)
- ✔ Popular Gansu Tour: 5 Days Zhangye to Dunhuang Highlights Tour by Bullet Train
Binggou Danxia Geopark
Lanzhou in Summer
Zhangye in Summer
Jiayuguan in Summer
Dunhuang in Summer
- Autumn (September to November), is usually the best season to visit Gansu. It is cool in the day time, but a little cold in the night time, and windy in some days. Autumn is the most recommended season for you to explore stunning desert views along the Silk Road. The ideal destinations are Dunhuang, Jiayuguan, and Lanzhou. From late October, the temperature goes down rapidly, and you may already start to feel the coldness of the winter.
- • Recommended Attractions in Gansu in Autumn: Lanzhou (Gansu Provincial Museum, Iron Bridge of Yellow River, White Pagoda Mountain, Binhe Park of Lanzhou); Zhangye (Zhangye Danxia Geopark, Binggou Danxia Geopark, Kangle Grassland); Jiayuguan (Jiayuguang fortress, the Hanging Great Wall); Dunhuang (Mogao Caves, Mingsha Moutain & Crescent lake, Yardang National Geopark)
- ✔ Popular Gansu Tour: 6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour(Zhangye/Jiayuguan/Dunhuang)
Lanzhou in Autumn
Zhangye in Autumn
Jiayuguan in Autumn
Dunhuang in Autumn
- Winter is long and cold in most regions of Gansu. It may snow in the middle and southern areas, such as Lanzhou, Linxia, and Xiahe. The lowest temperature is -14 °C in January. It is not very recommended to visit Gansu during winter. If you have to go during that time, you'd better stay indoor or plan the northern destinations, such as Dunhuang and Jiayuguan where are relatively warmer. You'd better pack a winter coat, scarf, gloves, winter boots, etc.
- • Recommended Attractions in Gansu in Winter: Lanzhou (Gansu Provincial Museum, Lanzhou Museum); Zhangye ( Zhangye Danxia Geopark, Binggou Danxia Park, Mati Temple); Jiayuguan (Xuanbi Great Wall, Great Wall Museum); Dunhuang (Mogao Caves, Yulin Caves, Yardang National Geopark, Mingsha Mountain)
- ✔ Popular Gansu Tour: 7 Days Zhangye Danxia and Badain Jaran Desert Tour
Snow-capped Mingsha Mountain
Lanzhou in Winter
Zhangye in Winter
Jiayuguan in Winter
Dunhuang in Winter
Recommended Gansu Tours
Top 3 Gansu tours chosen by most customers to explore Gansu in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour(Zhangye/Jiayuguan/Dunhuang)
Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang
- 8 Days Qinghai Lake Zhangye Danxia Badain Jaran Desert Wonders Tour
Xining - Zhangye - Badain Jaran Desert
- 8 Days Gansu Highlights Tour
Lanzhou / Xiahe / Jiayuguan / Dunhuang