Changsha Weather & Seasons - Best Time to Visit Changsha 2021
Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province, is located in the central part of China, between 27°51 'and 28°41' north. Changsha belongs to a subtropical monsoon climate, with four distinct seasons, weather in Changsha is mild with plenty of rainfall, rain and hot happens in the same period. The annual average temperature in the urban area of Changsha is about 17.2℃, and 16.8℃ - 17.3℃ in suburbs. January is the coldest month of the whole year, with the average monthly temperature ranging from 4.4℃ to 5.1℃. July has the highest average monthly temperature for about 30℃. The average annual precipitation in the urban area is 1,361.6 mm, and the average annual precipitation in suburb area is 1,358.6 ~ 1,52.5 mm. Changsha rains a lot from March to May, with over 1.5 months of rainy days.
Best Time to Visit Changsha, China
The best seasons to visit Changsha are spring and autumn. Spring, from mid-March through May, is the season with the most comfortable temperature. It’s a good season to explore delicious food, wander around ancient streets and stroll along Xiangjiang Scenery Zone to enjoy a moment of leisure. Likewise, September and October are also good times to visit Changsha. During the short but pleasant autumn period, the red maples are burning like fire in Yuelu Mountain and the Orange Isle, set in Aiwan Pavilion for a while, you can feel the poetic of “I stop at maple woods to gaze my fill; forest-bitten leaves look redder than early spring flowers”. Temperatures in spring and autumn in Changsha are around 15C (59F) to 20C (68F). For visitors who have more days for travelling, it’s also a good season to extend your Changsha tour to Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang Ancient Town. Zhangjiajie, the UNESCO World Natural Heritage, is the top fever tourist destination for fantastic nature admiration. Fenghuang Ancient Town, which is praised as one of the most beautiful towns in China, is a quiet ancient town where you can meet the ethnic minorities of Miao and Tujia.
Although it is reported that the average temperature in winter is about five degrees, the winter days in Changsha can be severely cold as those in the northern Chinese cities due to the great humidity carried by the river winds from Xiangjiang River. So if you are planning to visit Changshan in winter, you should pay attention to keeping warm, exploring museums and historical sites might be a good idea.
The summer comes around mid-May with high heat and heavy humidity. Considered as the “furnace”, for those who don’t like hot days, you’d better not visit Changsha in summer. But you can escape the heat by visiting Zhangjiajie, and feel the cool air at the forest park. Even though it may rain a lot in summer, you may happen to see the otherworldly mysterious mountain mist scene usually shows 1-2 hours after the rain.
It is necessary to check out the weather forecast while planning your Changsha tour. More information about Zhangjiajie Weather, please visit Zhangjiajie Weather & Season | Best Time to Visit Zhangjiajie >>
Top Recommended Changsha Hunan Tour：
► 2 Days Classic Changsha Tour (Changsha)
► 5 Days Changsha & Zhangjiajie Avatar Scenery Tour by Train (Changsha / Zhangjiajie)
► 7 Days Hunan Discovery Tour from Changsha (Changsha / Shaoshan / Zhangjiajie / Fenghuang)
Average Changsha Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Changsha Seasons to Go
Changsha has a long summer (mid-May to late-September) and winter (November to Mid-March), but short spring (mid-March to May) and autumn (late-September to October), summer lasts for 118 - 127 days, winter about 117 - 122 days, 61 - 64 days in spring, and 59 - 69 days in autumn. The temperature changes greatly in spring, more rain in early summer, long heat in summer and early autumn, and less cold in winter.
Changsha Spring (Mid-March to May)
Changsha spring is from late March to mid-May. During this time, warm and cold air conciliates each other, forming continuous rain, low temperatures and cloudy days. The average temperature is about 11C in March, 17°C in April and 22°C in May. Every month there will be about 6-8 days of rain. Because of the constant precipitation, the air quality is good in spring.
What to Wear in Changsha Spring
Long sleeves, jackets and long trousers are recommended. It is getting warmer but constant rain might bring down the temperature. Also, umbrellas or other rain gear are a must when visiting Changsha in spring.
Recommended Changsha Spring Activities
1. With the pleasant weather, you can plan a half-day spring outing in Yuelu Mountain, climb on the top of the mountain and enjoy the panoramic view of Changsha.
2. In order to learn more about the early years of the great men in China. You can visit Shaoshan - “the Hometown of Chairman Mao Zedong” and Huaminglou Town - “Hometown of Chairman Liu Shaoqi”.
3. Rent a bike and ride along Xiangjiang River bank, feel the wind breeze and everything comes to life.
4. The cherry blossom exhibition is held every March at Hunan Forest Botanical Park. It would last for about 40 days. Walking through the cherry forest, you would feel like falling into the flower sea.
5. Head to Fenghuang Ancient Town in Spring you may have a chance to encounter some Miao Traditional Festivals like the jubilant Ancestral Worship Day.
Hot Changsha Tours in Spring:
Hunan Forest Botanical Park in Spring
Shaoshan in Spring
Fenghuang Ancient Town in Spring
Changsha in March
Changsha in April
Changsha in May
Changsha Summer (Mid-May to Late-September)
Since late May, the temperature has increases significantly. Summer is very hot with fewer rainy days but more precipitation in Changsha. The average daily temperature is above 30℃ for over 85 days in summer, and the average annual temperature above 35℃ is about 30 days. The monthly precipitation is about 200mm in June, 110mm in July and 100mm in August. Thanks to the volume of rainfall, air quality in summer is the best of the year.
What to Wear in Changsha Summer
Wear any summer clothes, such as shorts, shirts and skirts. Prepare sun protection such as sunglasses and hats, and drink lots of water.
Recommended Changsha Summer Activities
1. Take the cable to reach the top of Yuelu Mountain, use the siding channel in the scenic spot to have fun sliding down the mountain.
2. Watch the fireworks play on Orange Island at Dufu River Pavilion or Xiangjiang Avenue.
3. Have fun at Windows of the World in Changsha, many theme activities will be held in summer, such as Crazy Water Day and Summer Beer Night, etc.
4. Explore the history and culture of Changsha by visiting Changsha Provincial Museum, and characteristic museums like Changsha Bamboo Slips Museum, Hunan Embroidery Museum of China, etc.
5. Escape summer heat by visiting Daweishan National Forest Park. It is the first peak in eastern Hunan, with the highest altitude of 1,608 meters and forest coverage rate is as high as 99.5%. The average temperature in summer is only 22℃, which makes it a perfect summer resort in Changsha.
Hot Changsha Summer Tour:
Fireworks on Orange Isle
Yuelu Mountain in Summer
Changsha Windows of the World
Changsha in June
Changsha in July
Changsha in August
Changsha Autumn (Late-September to October)
After the end of September, the average day temperature begins to drop. During autumn, the days are warmer, the night is cooler, the precipitation decreases and there will be less cloudy and more sunny days. The average temperature in September is about 24℃, and 18℃ in October. Rainfall drops a lot, about 60mm in September and 80mm in October, the average monthly rainy day is only about 3 days a month. The air quality is excellent in September and good in October.
What to Wear in Changsha Autumn
Long sleeves, thin overcoat, hoodies and trousers are enough for the short autumn. If you plan to continue your tour to Zhangjiajie or Fenghuang, which is highly recommended, you are suggested to wear comfortable shoes like sneakers or hiking boots.
Recommended Xiamen Winter Activities
1. In autumn, the maple forest in Yuelu Mountain was involved in a sea of fiery-red. The Red Maple Festival and other activities would also be held in the scenic area.
2. When the autumn harvest season comes, the fruitful orange trees turn to pieces of golden on the Orange Isle. Standing at the edge of the isle and overlook in a distance, you will feel a different kind of refreshed.
3. Explore Hunan cuisines and Changsha snacks at Huangxing Pedestrain Street, Pozi Street and Huogongdian, etc
4. Autumn is also the best season to visit the UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the most popular sightseeing places in China - Zhangjiajie!
Hot Changsha Autumn Tour
Taste Changsha Cuisines at Huogongdian
Appreciate Fiery-red Maple at Aiwan Pavilion
Cloud Sea in Zhangjiajie in Autumn
Changsha in September
Changsha in October
Changsha in November
Changsha Winter (November to Mid-March)
From late November to mid-March of next year it is winter in Changsha, Even in winter, the temperature still rarely drops below 0℃. However, due to the high humidity and there is no heating system in the city, sensible temperature is still low, therefore visitors who visit Changsha in winter need to take care of the thermal protection. The average temperature in January is about 5℃; rises a little in February but is still low, about 7℃. There is generally less precipitation in winter. The total precipitation from November to February is 264mm.
What to Wear in Changsha Winter
It is recommended to wear winter coats, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, scarfs, gloves, sweaters, snow boots in winter. If you are planning a hiking tour to the mountain area, you might encounter snow, therefore anti-skid shoes are recommended.
Recommended Changsha Winter Activities
1. Wander though Taiping Street during the daytime, you will have visual shock from these iconic symbols of ancient architecture, like the stone archway, granite road, beacon fire wall, ancient stage and the former residence of Jia Yi.
2. Go to the Orange Isle in winter and feel the picturesque scenery of “Xiangjiang River line with the sky, the sunset glow reflects on the purity snow”, one of the eight scenes in Hunan province.
3. Visit Mawangdui Han Tombs and Hunan Provincial Museum to learn more about the splendid Xihan civilization for more than two thousand years.
Hot Changsha Tours in Winter:
The Former Residence of Jia Yi
Explore History of Mawangdui Han Tombs
Orange Isle in Snow
Changsha in December
Changsha in January
Changsha in February
How to Plan a Changsha Tour?
How to Get to Changsha: Changsha can be easily reached by international flight, domestic flight and high speed train. Hot cities connected Changsha by bullet train include Shanghai (4~7 hrs.), Zhangjiajie (2.5~3.5 hrs.), Guilin (2.5~3.5 hrs.), Hangzhou (3.5~5 hrs.), and so forth.
Best Time to Visit Changsha: late September ~ next May, especially in autumn if you want to meet with the best golden autumn vista of Yuelu Mountain.
Top Changsha Attractions: Orange Island, Yuelu Mountain and Yuelu Academy, Hunan Provincial Museum, Huangxing Road Pedestrian Street, etc.
Changsha, the capital and transportation hub of China’s Hunan Province, is a national historical and cultural city that rich in historical monuments, ancient temples, academies and antediluvian traditions. Normally, tourists spend 1~2 days in Changsha to sample its highlights, like Yuelu Mountain, Yuelu Academy, Orange Island, Hunan Provincial Museum, Tianxin Pavilion, etc.
In addition to the profound cultural flavor in Changsha, Hunan Province also boasts world-class natural landscapes, ancient towns and villages and man-made wonders. Almost all Hunan visitors would plan 3~4 days to Zhangjiajie to appreciate the Avatar mountains. And a one-day Fenghuang Ancient Town tour is also popular. Visit Changsha, Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang in one go takes about 6~7 days.
If you have more days and are looking for an in-depth exploration of Hunan, you are suggested to spend 1 day to Shaoshan, the birthplace of the great leader in Modern China - Chairman Mao, 1 day to Yueyang, another famous cultural city with a long history of over 2500 years, or 1 day to Mount Heng, one of the Five Sacred Mountains in China.
Beyond Hunan, the diverse China has a lot to offer. You can extend your trip to explore sacred Mount Fanjing and the primitive minority villages in nearby Guizhou Province. Also, you can add a 5 Days & 4 Nights Yangtze River Cruise into your trip. Besides, you can travel further southwest to admire the marvelous Karst Landscape in Guilin and Yangshuo. Get further south to visit Guangzhou, Xiamen, Hong Kong is also great. If you like, you can also visit splendid Great Wall in Beijing, meet with historical Terracotta Warriors in Xian, date with adorable pandas in Chengdu and so on. Have your preference? Please feel free to tell us your likes, and our professional travel consultants will customize a perfect tour for you!
Travel Changsha with China Discovery
China Discovery is an experienced, professional and reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. In order to have a hassle-free travel and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended travelling with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange knowledgeable local English-speaking tour guide, excellent accommodation and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well and get better understanding of highlights in Xiamen and Fujian. The tour can be tailor-made according to your interests, time, group size, budget and every special need. If you are interested, please feel free to contact us to customize your tour!
Average Temperature & Rainy Days of Changsha, Hunan, China
- 2 Days Classic Changsha Tours
- Zhangjiajie, Fenghuang, Changsha
- 7 Days Hunan Discovery
- Attractions & Things to Do
- Get There & Around
- Zhangjiajie to Changsha
- Fenghuang to Changsha
- Changsha Hotel
- Changsha Maps
- Changsha 72-Hour Visa Free Transit
- Changsha High-speed Train
- More Changsha Travel Guide
Changsha Travel Guide
Recommended Changsha Tours
Top 3 Changsha tours chosen by most customers to explore Changsha in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Classic Changsha Tour
- 7 Days Hunan Discovery Tour from Changsha
Changsha / Shaoshan / Zhangjiajie / Fenghuang / Zhangjiajie
- 6 Days Zhangjiajie, Fenghuang and Changsha Tour
Zhangjiajie / Fenghuang / Changsha