Taking a boat sailing on the picturesque West Lake is an enjoyable and relaxing way to appreciate the beautiful scenery with its islands, causeways, temples, pagodas and ornamental planting. You can either do it in the morning to enjoy the soft sun glow shinning on its water, quietly and mellowly; or rent a boat at dusk when the sun begins to fall down with the golden lights illuminating on the lake, shimmering and sparkling.
Huxin Pavilion at West Lake
Xiao Ying Zhou Scenery at West Lake
Different from appreciating scenery on the bank of West Lake, you’ll enjoy the heavenly lake view in another angle, closer and closer. It is not surprised that you’ll become a part of this traditional Chinese painting and a unique scene in the photos by a professional photographer. Besides, such a great kind of way will let you immerse into the picturesque scenery of the water, Gushan Hill, Leifeng Pagoda, Bai Causeway, Su Causeway, Broken Bridge, and more sites and trees on the leisure boat and avoid more crowds on the banks. More excitingly, you can catch the rare chance to enjoy “Three Pools Mirroring the Moon” and take shore excursion to “Xiao Ying Zhou”, the largest island in the West Lake.
Why not choose the most enjoyable way to reach the inner heart of West Lake? Select your favorite boat types, routes and do now!
Most Recommended West Lake Tour Package:
West Lake cruises usually go around in the inner lake area, which will let you enjoy most of the best stunning sceneries of West Lake in Hangzhou.
Hangzhou West Lake Boat Tourist Map
There are multiple kinds of boat types at West Lake in Hangzhou, and the following four kinds are frequently used and recommended for most visitors to Hangzhou, which are luxury gaily-painted pleasure boats, West Lake pleasure boats, self-driving boats and self-rowing boats. Check the detailed piers, tickets, operation time and more info of each kind at below to choose your favorite one for West Lake sightseeing and fun!
Luxury Gaily-painted Pleasure Boat
This kind of boat is gaily-painted, decorated with traditional Chinese elements which is rich in poetic flavor. It may please both your eyes and heart When taking this luxury gaily-painted pleasure boat on West Lake. Like the common pleasure boat, this kind of boat also offers the chance to reach “Xiao Ying Zhou”.
• Piers to Board: pier at The Second Park, pier at the Fifth Park, pier at Children’s Palace
• Tickets: CNY 70/person (Xiao Ying Zhou ticket included)
• Opening Hours: 08:00~16:00
• How to Get There: 10-15 minutes from Wulin Gate (Wulinmen) by private car or taxi. Many local buses stop at the Second Park and the Fifth Park.
Recommended West Lake Tour Packages:
West Lake Pleasure Boat
It is the most popular boat chosen by numerous travelers. This kind of pleasure boat can not only take you quietly sailing on the lake, but also take you to explore “Xiao Ying Zhou”. You can stay on the island as long as you like. After the visiting, you can take another “pleasure boat” to the pier you like.
• Piers to Board: pier at The First Park, pier at Children’s Palace, pier at Zhongshan Park, pier at Hangzhou Restaurant, pier at Yuefei Temple, pier at Huagang, pier at King Qian Temple (Qianwang Ci)
• Tickets: CNY 55/person (Xiao Ying Zhou ticket included)
• Opening Hours: 08:00~16:00
• How to Get There: 10-15 minutes to First Park, Children Palace, Zhongshan Park, Yuefei Temple, Hangzhou Restaurant, Huagang and Qianwang Ci from Wulin Gate (Wulinmen) by private car or taxi. Many local buses stop at those places.
Recommended West Lake Tour Packages:
West Lake Self-driving Boat
Want to do boating on the North Inside Park with beautiful flowers surrounded? The four-seat or six-seat boats offer you the chance to go with your family or friends leisurely sailing on the vast water. It is less crowded and less noisy, linking you and nature perfectly.
• Piers to Board: pier at Broken Bridge
• Tickets: CNY 20/person per half an hour for four-seat boat; CNY 25/person per half an hour for six-seat boat; (if time exceeds half an hour, it will pay according to 1 hour fare.)
• Opening Hours: 08:30~16:00
• How to Get There: 10 minutes to Broken Bridge from Wulin Gate (Wulinmen) by private car or taxi. Local buses are available with 10 minutess walk.
West Lake Self-rowing Boat
An experienced boatman will lead your way on the self-rowing boat. You can sail anywhere you want, no matter you want to visit the islands or want to sail toward the central lake, discuss with your partner and tell your boatman. It is flexible, but challenge your courage.
• Piers to Board: pier at Bai Causeway, pier at “Autumn Moon over Calm Lake” and more
• Tickets: CNY 150/person per hour for one boat and CNY 30/person if no vacancy (it is limited for six passengers). If time exceeds one hour, it will pay according to CNY 75/person per half an hour.
• Opening Hours: flexible
• How to Get There: 10 minutes to Broken Bridge from Wulin Gate (Wulinmen) by private car or taxi. Local buses are available with 10 minutes’ walk.
West Lake Night Cruise
Taking a night cruise to discover West Lake is another interesting and pleasant way to savor the poetic charm of such famous splendor, especially in clear days with bright moon and stars. You will admire the peaceful lake with the stunning night lights on the banks and skeleton of the towers, pagodas, temples nearby and far on the mountain.
• Piers to Board: pier at The First Park
• Time: only one cruise sailing during 19:00-20:00; April - November
• Boat Types: Luxury Gaily-painted Pleasure Boat, West Lake Pleasure Boat
• Price: about CNY 150/person
Things to Do in Hangzhou: West Lake, Lingyin Temple, Longjing tea Plantation, Hefang Street, Xixi National Wetland Park, China National Tea Museum, China National Silk Museum…
How to Get to Hangzhou: International flights from Singapore (5 hrs.), Seoul (6.5 hrs.), etc., domestic flights from Guangzhou (2 hrs.), Beijing (2 hrs.), etc., or high speed trains from Shanghai (1~2 hrs.), Suzhou (1.5~3 hrs.), Huangshan (1.5~2 hrs.), etc.
Best Time to Visit Hangzhou: all year around
Usually, visitors spend 2 days around to enjoy a classic Hangzhou tour to visit the West Lake Scenic Area, including the amazing West Lake, Lingyin Temple, Longjing Tea Plantations, etc. If you want an in-depth Hangzhou tour, you can also pay another half day or so to visit Xixi National Wetland Park, one day around to Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal, or one day or so to Thousand Islands Lake, etc. Check all Hangzhou Tours >>
Also, you can spend 1 day to take a side trip to the nearby water towns like Wuzhen and Xitang in Jiaxing, 2~3 days to Putuoshan - one of the four sacred Buddhist Mountains in China, or 1 day to the popular Nanxun Old Town in Huzhou. Check more about Zhejiang Tours >>
Besides, compared with just travelling Hangzhou, most of the visitors prefer to travel the metropolis Shanghai, Suzhou Gardens and Hangzhou Lakes in One Go! Such an amazing tour will take 5~6 days.
Some visitors also ride a high speed train to Huangshan to visit the world-famous Yellow Mountain. A Hangzhou Huangshan tour needs about 5 days around.
Have your preferences? Please feel free to tell us your likes and let our professional travel consultants customize a personal tour for you!
Since 2012, we China Discovery have helped numerous customers to visit Hangzhou and surroundings. With our fully-inclusive private tour packages, all of our customers enjoyed their trips to the West Lake, Lingyin Temple, etc. Some of them kindly shared their precious photos and stories about their Hangzhou journey, just get inspired now.
"Impression Show is a must see when visiting Hangzhou…" - shared by Nguyen (Read her entire travel story: The Pursuit of Natural Beauty with the Beloved one - 14 Days Beautiful China Exploring Tour)
"This last night in Hangzhou led us to explore a different side of West Lake, vastly changing our erstwhile bland impression of the famed tourist site…" - shared by CS from Singapore (Read her entire travel story: Delightful Journey to Poetic Jiangnan Area)
Besides the wonderful travel stories, many customers who visited Hangzhou with China Discovery also send us their first-hand feedbacks about their trip, feel free to read the Hangzhou Reviews and learn what they say about their experience. If you want to start your Hangzhou tour now, don't hesitate to contact us.
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Shanghai / Hangzhou / Suzhou / Shanghai
Hangzhou / Suzhou
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is available! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >