We know what you are thinking – how can you enjoy the poetic Hangzhou in a different way? China Discovery suggests you to try short-distance biking trip which offers you more freedom and leisure for exploration and more importantly, you are much closer to the beautiful nature. Hangzhou has long been a popular destination for cyclists and active travelers. The city was the first in China to develop a public bicycle sharing system, which today more than a dozen rental kiosks dot the West Lake area.
China Discovery has carefully selected top 5 recommended biking routes with detailed distance, suggested time and scenic spots introductions. You can select your likes and begin your cycling exploration! (Please Note: the following biking routes can be adjusted according to your likes and convenience.)
- Features: "Short and Scenic"
- Distance: about 5.4 kilometers
- Suggested Time: 1 hour ~ half day
- Start: Broken Bridge (rent a bike at Shao Nian Gong bike station)
- End: South Side of Su Causeway (return bike at Su Di Nan Kou bike station on Nanshan Road)
- Scenic Spots along the way: Lingering Snow over the Broken Bridge, Bai Causeway, Autumn Moon over the Calm Lake, Lotus Swaying in the Breeze, Yue Fei Temple, Dawn at Su Causeway in Spring, Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor, Leifeng Pagoda, etc.
- Recommended Biking Trip: 2 Days Relaxing Hangzhou Tour with Half-day West Lake Cycling
This biking route is the most classic one which starts from Broken Bridge where Chinese Romeo and Juliet love story began and ends at the south of Su Causeway. This area offers a multitude of rewarding photo ops while traversing stone arch bridges. It is suggested to take this route in spring and autumn for the weather is gentle and cozy and also you can experience the most beautiful and colorful West Lake. If you want to do it in summer, try the entire tree-lined Su Causeway.
- Features: "A Spiritual Cycle"
- Distance: about 3.6 kilometers
- Suggested Time: about 15 minutes ~ 1.5 hours
- Start: Quyuan Fenghe (rent a bike at Quyuan Fenghe bike station)
- End: Lingyin Temple (return bike at Lingyin Si bike station)
- Scenic Spots along the way: Lotus Swaying in the Breeze, Yue Fei Temple, Hangzhou Botanical Garden, Twin Peaks Piercing the Cloud, Lingyin Temple, etc.
This biking route is from West Lake’s northwest corner toward Lingyin Temple, a beautiful and well-maintained Buddhist temple in Hangzhou. In 10 minutes, you’ll leave away the bustle and hustle West Lake area, make a stop at Hangzhou botanical garden to appreciate different kinds of flowers, plants and trees, see numerous Longjing tea plantation along Lingyin Road, and then reach the hidden spirit place. It is worth your time and exploration. This route is suitable in spring, summer and autumn season.
- Features: "In-depth", "Legendary Landmarks"
- Distance: about 13 kilometers
- Suggested Time: about 3 hours to 6 hours
- Start: Sixth Park (rent a bike at Liugongyuan bike station)
- End: Sixth Park (return bike at Liugongyuan bike station)
- Scenic Spots along the way: Lingering Snow over the Broken Bridge, Bai Causeway, Autumn Moon over the Calm Lake, Lotus Swaying in the Breeze, Yue Fei Temple, Dawn at Su Causeway in Spring, Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor, Three Pools Mirroring the Moon, Leifeng Pagoda, Evening Bell Ringing at the Nanping Hill, Orioles Singing in the Willows, etc.
This biking route offers the rare chance to see the famous “West Lake Ten Scenes”. Start from Broken Bridge and ride clockwise along Bai Causeway and head south to Su Causeway. You can make a stop to reach up Leifeng Pagoda to have a panoramic view of West Lake. Continue your bike riding along Nanshan Road and pay a relaxing visit to Changqiao Park and “Orioles Singing in the Willows”. Continue your riding along Hubin Road and stop at the Third Park which is the place for West Lake musical fountain show in the evening. This route is suitable in spring and autumn.
- Features: "A Modern Ride around Qianjiang CBD"
- Distance: about 10 kilometers
- Suggested Time: about 1 hour
- Start: Liuhe Pagoda (rent a bike at Liuheta bike station)
- End: Hangzhou Grand Theater (return bike at Jiefang Dong Lu bike station)
- Scenic Spots along the way: Liuhe Pagoda, Qiantang River Bridge, Third Qiantang River Bridge, urban balcony, Qinatang CBD, etc.
This riding route helps travelers feel the new fashion along Qiantang River, experience the development process from the first highway-railway bridge to the modernization bridge. On a relaxing bike riding, you’ll also travel through from the West Lake era to Qiantang River era, from the old to new, from ancient to modern.
- Features: "Scenic & Tranquil Riding"
- Distance: about 13 kilometers
- Suggested Time: about 2 hours to half day
- Start: Hangzhou Botanical Garden (rent a bike at Zhiwuyuan bike station)
- End: Nine Creeks (return bike at Jiuxi bike station)
- Scenic Spots along the way: Hangzhou Botanical Garden, Lingyin Temple, Early Spring at Meijiawu Tea Village, The Bamboo-lined Path at Yunqi, Nine Creeks Meandering Through a Misty Forest, etc.
This riding route takes you to explore the quietness and tranquility, walk into the green Longjing tea plantations, immerse into the bamboo-lined atmosphere, walk along nine-stream old path. You can feel you are closer and closer to nature. No matter how you feel at this time, this paradise-journey will give your mind the most original pleasure sense of belonging.
1. Bring your ID card or passport to open an account.
2. Visitors can open a bike-rental account at Longxiang Qiao, Xueshi Road & Hubin Road, Third Park, Sixth Park, Shao Nian Gong, Orioles Singing in the Willows, Wushan Square, Huanglong Bus Station, etc.
3. You'll need an RMB 200 deposit to open a bike rental account, all of which is refundable after the account is closed.
4. Renting fare: For the first hour -- free; 1 - 2 hrs. -- CNY1; 2 - 3 hrs. -- CNY2; Over 3 hrs. -- CNY3/hr.
5. Before taking a ride, you should examine every part of the bicycle, and report to the sfatt it there is a problem so as to change a good bicycle beforehand to avoid potential risks.
6. After returning the bicycle, please make sure it says “successfully returned” on the auto machine. The result shows “this card does not rent a bicycle or the bicycle is returned” means returning bicycle successfully.
7. The card holder should top up the IC card accordingly, to avoid not being able to rent or return the bicycle (when there is less than 200 RMB in the card).
8. If you have your questions about renting a bike in Hangzhou, please feel free to contact our professional travel consultants who are here ready to help!
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.