Located about 20 km southeast from Sertar County (Seda,色达) that is filled with Tibetan color, Larung Gar Buddhist Academy is also called “Larung Gar Buddhist Institute”, “Serthar Buddhist Institute” or “Larong Wuming Tibetan Buddhist Institute”. First set up in 1980 with only some 30 apprentices, the academy was accepted by the 10th Panchen who wrote to the county government to apply for support. Through their efforts, this famous Tibetan Buddhist Institute was bestowed the title of “World’s Largest Buddhist Institute” by an American newspaper in 1993. Then, in 1997, Larung Gar Buddhist Academy was officially established. And till now, there are more than 20 thousand Buddhist apprentices here learning the sacred Buddhist courses and purifying the soul.
There are short education and long education in Larung Gar Buddhist Academy. Long education needs 6 years to finish, and some special degree needs even 13 years to get. Every apprentice has to be bone up to pass all the courses and a debate, so then he or she can get the degree given by the Khenpo (the Master). Since the principles in the academy are very strict, no monk is permitted to visit a nun even if they are siblings.
Standing on the hillside under the azure sky, surrounded by green fields, you can appreciate the most shining highlight of Larung Gar Buddhist Academy, namely, the grant view of countless little cabins. Thickly dotted on the hillside, the cabins, where all the monks and nuns live in, spread for miles that you cannot see its ends, being the unique superb view in the world.
At night when all the apprentices stay in their own cabins, all the light lit. At this time, you can see the whole academy is extraordinarily glorious. Every cabin is like a shining colorful star surrounding the golden and silver temples, roads with sparkling golden and blue lights crossing the academy. The splendid nigh view makes Larung Gar Buddhist Academy an attractive photographic scenic spot.
This resplendent and magnificent building is on the highest peak of Larung Gar Buddhist Academy. The Mandala is the place where sacrificial Buddhist activities are held, and usually you can find many people turning their prayer wheels for worshipping here at the upper part of the Mandala. It is said that if you are ill, the sickness will be driven away after you turn the wheel here walkinig for 100 rounds.
On this land full of Buddhist culture, you can find a zillion devoted seekers here reading scriptures and leaning Buddhist course day and night in Larung Gar Buddhist Academy. No matter young or old, they all wear vermilion Buddhist robes. Set off by the blue sky, the dresses on the 20 thousand Buddhist seekers present exquisite and solemn.
1. There are two places for stay in the Academy, the Larung Hotel (Tancheng Hotel), and the Fupin Guest House. Environment here is not bad.
2. You can also choose some better hotels around, like Seda Shengcheng Hotel, Seda Shengyu hotel and Seda Foyuan Hotel.
3. If you are lucky to meet a very kind Buddhist ascetic, you can live in his or her house and enjoy the meals.
Larung Gar Buddhist Academy provides vegetarian diet, and you can have meals in the small restaurants downhill but the prices are a little high.
1. It is very wet and often cold in Larung Gar Buddhist Academy, so take enough clothes there. Especially from Oct. to Mar., the temperature is around 10 degree below zero. Take your raincoat, umbrella, anti-slip shoes for the frequent rain.
2. Since it takes a dozen hours to get to the academy and the bus seldom stops on the halfway, it is suggested to drink less.
3. The Buddhist Academy has an altitude of more than 4,000 meters. Take commonly used medicines to deal with urgent cases, like altitude stress, fever, etc. Clinic is accessible in the academy.
4. Take a camera to record the precious moments but do not focus on photography too much, because it is more important to experience the view and Buddhist culture of the academy. But please remember to obey the local rules and customs while photographing, especially when in a solemn situation.
5. Obey the disciplines in the academy, for example, no alcohol, no smoking, no fighting, etc.
Since Larung Gar Buddhist Academy is about 580 km from Chengdu and the road quality is poor, it takes more than 10 hours to get there.
There are some buses from Chengdu Chadianzi Bus Station to Serdar County. Depart from 6:10-6:50, for about 12-15 hours. (Buy the ticket in advance for 3 days, because the tickets to Sertar County are usually quickly sold out.) You can tell the driver to stop at the crossing of the academy, or you can take a minibus after reaching Sertar.
If you want to get rid of hustle of public transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers sightseeing, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Larung Gar Buddhist Academy with speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on sightseeing.
Top 3 Sichuan tours chosen by most customers to explore Sichuan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Chengdu / Leshan / Emei / Chengdu / Jiuzhaigou
Chengdu / Leshan / Mount Emei / Chengdu
Jiuzhaigou Valley / Ruoergai / Langmu Monastery / Hongyuan
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.