Shanghai Travel Tips & FAQs
1. Can I transit visa-free in Shanghai?
If you meet the following criteria, you can stay up to 72 hours in Shanghai without a Chinese visa. You can visit the city at your leisure and book a hotel, etc.
- - Your transit is no more than 72 hours;
- - You have plane tickets to a third country;
- - You enter through the Shanghai Pudong Airport or Shanghai Hongqiao airport;
- - You will depart from the same city that you arrived from (for Shanghai you can arrive at one airport and leave from the other);
- - You cannot leave the city to go to another Chinese city during the 72 hours;
- - You must hold a passport of one of the 45 approved countries.
2. What are the 45 countries could apply 72 hours visa-free in Shanghai?
EU (24 countries): Austria, Belgium, the Czech republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland;
Europe (7 countries): Russia, Britain, Ireland, drought-stricken Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine;
America (6 countries): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile;
Oceania (2 countries): Australia, New Zealand;
Asia (6 countries): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, brunei, the united Arab emirates, Qatar.
3. How to apply this stay permit?
When you are citizens in one of the above mentioned countries, you could ask for help from the staff of your international airline which transit in Shanghai. The staff will help handle this application by reporting to related airport immigration control departments Shanghai. After checking about your situation, they will inform you whether you apply successful or not timely.
4. Which cities are running 72 hours visa-free entry policies in China?
This 72 hours visa-free policy is available at Beijing and Shanghai only.
5. What is the best time to visit Shanghai?
The spring from March to May and the Autumn from September to November are recommended as the best time to pay a visit to Shanghai. You could check the detailed information about Shanghai weather on our page: Shanghai Weather Information & Seasonal Activities.
6. What to See in Shanghai?
There are lots of tourist sites and some hidden sites to see in Shanghai, like the Bund, Nanjing Road, Yuyuan Garden & Bazaar, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center, People’s Square, Shanghai Museum, Jade Buddha Temple, Xintaindi & Tiandifang…you could check the detailed information about these sites on our page: Things to Do in Shanghai.
7. Is it possible for us to try Shanghai Maglev from Pudong Airport to Longyang Road Station on our arrival in Shanghai from Guilin? Can you arrange this with the local tour in Shanghai?
Yes. Shanghai Maglev Train connects Shanghai Pudong Internationa Airport and Longyang Road Station. At full speed, the journey takes 7 minutes and 20 seconds to complete the distance of 30 km.
The Maglev Train time is 07:02-21:42, please kindly make sure if your arrival time is able to take it or not, and it is also subject to your arrival airport.
8. Will be the language barrier be a problem?
The language barrier should not be a problem. Visitor's tour guides will be able to speak English, and act as translators. Most of Shanghai's hotels staff members can speak English, and a few major restaurants and stores will have at least one employee who is able to speak English.
9. What are the currency and banking services in Shanghai like?
It is highly recommended that visitors to China use the Chinese Yuan (RMB) wherever they go to avoid any unnecessary problems. In Shanghai, the banking services are highly advanced so visitors should have no problem exchanging money. Visitors can exchange any amount of money at the Pudong Development Bank, the Pudong Airport, or at any of the Bank of China locations. There are a large number of ATM machines located throughout the city, and most major ATM cards can be used in them.
Recommended Shanghai Tours
Top 3 Shanghai city tours chosen by most customers to explore Shanghai in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Classic Shanghai City Tour
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: