Mount Tai Weather: Taishan Weather, Climate, Temperature & Best Time
Mount Tai is located in Tai'an City, Shandong Province, with an altitude of 1545 meters. The climate in the upper and lower parts of Mount Tai shows a very obvious vertical change. From the foot of the mountain to the top of the mountain, the temperature gradually decreases. The average temperature at the foot of the mountain in January is - 3 ℃, while that at the top of the mountain is - 9 ℃; the average temperature at the foot of the mountain in July is 26 ℃, and that at the top of the mountain is 18 ℃. The annual average temperatures in Taian city is 12.8 °C. The annual precipitation increases with the height, and the annual precipitation at the top of the mountain is 1132 mm, while that at the foot of the mountain is only 722.6 mm. There are four distinct seasons at Taishan mountain. It is windy and less rainy in spring, comfortable and cool in summer, and the autumn is very short, while the winter of Taishan Mountain is long, with a freezing period of 150 days, the minimum temperature at the extreme days is - 27.5 ℃, forming a spectacular landscape of beautiful rime and icy glaze.
Best Time to Visit Mount Tai (Taishan)
Mount Tai has four distinct seasons, each with its own charming sides. You visit Mount Tai all year round: enjoying peach blossom and spring, escaping the summer heat, appreciating red leaves in autumn, skiing in winter. As the temperature of Mount Tai is generally very cold in winter, the best time to travel is from March to mid-October. Because of its great fame, massive tourists will come to Mount Tai in peak season. Therefore, to visit Mount Tai, it is better to avoid weekends and Chinese holidays.
Mount Tai Weather & Dressing Tips
1. The temperature at the top of Mount Tai is 3-6 ℃ lower than that at the bottom of Mount Tai and you may feel very cold at night.
2. There are vendors renting green winter coats on Mt. Tai. The rent is about CNY 10 to CNY 50 for one coat. The higher you hike up the mountain, the more expensive the rent is. Generally, you need to pay a deposit of CNY 100 for each coat. When you return the coat, the deposit fee will be given back to you after showing the receipt. Since it is not easy to hike up carrying a thick winter coat, it is recommended to rent clothes in Zhongtianmen (中天门) or Nantianmen (南天门).
3. The sunrise can be seen or not is unpredictable, which depends on the weather conditions at the top of the mountain, the amount of cloud, the visibility, and so on.
Average Mount Tai Temperature by Month
|Month||Recommended Rate||Max Temp.||Min Temp.|
Mount Tai Seasons to Go
- ❀ Average Temperature: -5°C ~ 15°C, windy, chilly to comfortable
- It's still a cold frozen world in the early spring on Mount Tai, especially in the mountain area. Since mid-April, Mount Tai wakes up with peach and pear blossoms as well as green sprouts. The rising temperature brings more visitors to hike there and May is the best month to watch the sunrise on Mount Taishan.
- Seasonal Activities
- Enjoying peach blossom, Visiting temples, pavilions of Mt Taishan, Watching Sunrise and Sunset
- • What to Wear: From March to April, it is recommended to wear winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, sweaters, hiking shoes, snow boots, etc. Since May, you can gradually take off some thick layers.
- ✔ Popular Taishan Tour: 2 Days Taishan & Qufu Tour from Beijing by Bullet Train
Taishan in Spring
Taishan Weather in March
- Max Temperature: 2.4°C / 36.3°F
- Min Temperature: -4.6°C / 24°F
- Avg Temperature: -1.3°C / 30°F
- Rainfall: 26.3 mm
- Rainy Days: 6.9 days
- Sunrise: 6:00am-6:43am
- Sunset: 6:05pm-6:32pm
Taishan Weather in April
- Max Temperature: 9.9°C / 50°F
- Min Temperature: 2.5°C / 37°F
- Avg Temperature: -6°C / 43°F
- Rainfall: 38.8 mm
- Rainy Days: 6.5 days
- Sunrise: 5:20am-5:58am
- Sunset: 6:33pm-6:57pm
Taishan Weather in May
- Max Temperature: 15.3°C / 60°F
- Min Temperature: 8.2°C / 47°F
- Avg Temperature: 11.5°C / 53°F
- Rainfall: 75.4 mm
- Rainy Days: 8.3 days
- Sunrise: 4:56am-5:19am
- Sunset: 6:58pm-7:22pm
- ☂ Average Temperature: 12°C ~ 20°C, hot and rainy
- Summer is the most comfortable time to visit Mount Taishan. You can escape the sultriness in the city and relax, hiking on the path where Confucious and great Chinese emperors had trekked. At night, you can take a bus from the foot of Mt Taishan and watch the stunning large-scale show to present the modern way of Fengshan sacrifices rituals of the ancient emperors. Since the rainfall might be more often than any other season, remember to bring a raincoat or umbrella always.
- Seasonal Activities
- Hiking on Mount Taishan, Watching the Fengshan show, Visiting temples and pavilions
- • What to Wear: Since the temperature in the mountain area is still somehow very cool. It is recommended to wear a sunblock shirt, sunhat, sunglasses, shirts, long skirts, and thin sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, sneakers, and an extra thick layer like a coat and sweater, a pair of gloves.
- ✔ Popular Taishan Tour: 2 Days Most Classic Mount Tai Hiking Tour
Taishan in Summer
Taishan Weather in June
Taishan Weather in July
Taishan Weather in August
- ☀ Average Temperature: -3°C ~ 16°C, pleasantly cool to cold
- The early Autumn by early October is the best time to visit Taishan with the most comfortable temperature. Besides having a leisure hike to the peak, you can also enjoy the beautiful fall leaves interspersed in Mt. Taishan. Since mid-October, the temperature drops a lot and it has become like winter days, and sometimes you need to put on sweaters and winter coats.
- Seasonal Activities
- Hiking on Mount Taishan, Enjoying the Fall Foliage, Watching the Fengshan show, Photography
- • What to Wear: It is recommended to wear shirts, long skirts and thin sweaters, windbreakers, casual clothes, jackets, sneakers for the early autumn, and coats and sweaters, gloves, thick jackets, and thermal clothes in the late autumn.
- ✔ Popular Taishan Tour: 2 Days Enjoyable Mount Tai Hiking Tour
Taishan in Autumn
Taishan Weather in September
Taishan Weather in October
Taishan Weather in November
- ☃ Average Temperature: -10°C ~ -2°C, very cold
- The winter in Taishan is long and frozen cold, and Mount Taishan turns white and crystallized, with snow-capped mountain ridges and ice-glazed trees. Hiking up to Mount Taishan may take more energy than usual, and you may need to be more cautious to walk on the wet and slippery mountain paths. If driving to the south in Taian, you can find two winter relieving spots in Chulaishan Ski Resort and Taishan Hot Spring Village Resort.
- Seasonal Activities
- Hiking on Mt. Taishan, Enjoying the snowscape, Skiing, Relaxing in Hot Spring
- • What to Wear: You need to gear up for the cold winter, wearing winter coats, gloves, scarfs, leather jackets, down coats, woolen hats, sweaters, hiking shoes, thermal clothes, snow boots, etc.
- ✔ Popular Taishan Tour: 4 Days Cultural Discovery in Jinan, Taishan & Qufu
Taishan in Winter
Taishan Weather in December
Taishan Weather in January
Taishan Weather in February
How to Plan Your Mount Tai Tour
How to Get to Mount Tai: You can take both high-speed trains and normal trains to Tai’an from Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Tianjin, Qingdao, Jinan, Weihai, Yantai, Zhengzhou, etc.
Best Time to Visit Mount Tai: From March to mid-October. It might be very crowded on weekends and the Chinese holidays.
Located in Tai'an City, Shandong, Mount Tai (aka Taishan Mountain), is regarded as the greatest of the Five Sacred Mountains in China, and listed as a UNESCO World Natural & Cultural Heritage Site in 1987. The highest Jade Emperor Peak is recorded about 1545 meters above sea level. Hiking uphill you can trek along the worshiping spots path the ancient Chinese emperors had come for; Reaching the top, you can have a panoramic view of the whole Taian city and enjoying the stunning sunrise and sunset, and it is recommended to spend 2 full days exploring the best highlights of Mount Tai including the Daimiao Temple (Museum of Taian City) at the foot of Mount Tai. You can also visit Mount Tai in a single day by taking sightseeing bus to Zhongtianmen, then hiking to the summit and descending by cable car.
✔ 2 Days Most Classic Mount Tai Hiking Tour
✔ 2 Days Enjoyable Mount Tai Hiking Tour
Taking a high-speed train and spending 2 more days, you can extend your trip to the nearby “City of Spring”, Jinan which nourishes a number of famous springs and lakes of China, such as Baotu Spring Park, Daming Lake, Black Tiger Spring, etc. Also, about 85 km to Mount Tai is Qufu, the hometown of the greatest sage of China, Confucius, and you may understand the deep-rooted Chinese culture as you stepping into the Confucius Temple, Kong Forest, and Kong Mansion.
✔ 2 Days Taishan & Qufu Tour from Beijing by Bullet Train
✔ 3 Days Confucius Culture Exploration with Sidetrip to Mount Tai
✔ 4 Days Cultural Discovery in Jinan, Taishan & Qufu
Besides these cities near Mount Tai, Shandong greets you with not only the splendid culture but also the beautiful coastlines. The refreshing ocean air from Qingdao blows the fragrance from the old Beer factories; the colorful kites fly over the city Weifang and swans in pairs nestle in the havens of Weihai by the shimmering sea...all of these highlights of Shandong can be covered in about 8 days. Beyond Shandong, travelers often extend trip further to Beijing, Xian, Datong & Pingyao (in Shanxi), Luoyang & Shaolin Temple & Kaifeng (in Henan) and more stunning heritages and nature sights in China.
✔ 6 Days Jinan, Qufu, Mount Tai & Qingdao Tour
✔ 9 Days Beijing Shanghai Speed Train Tour with Confucianism Exploration
✔ 9 Days Shandong Panorama Tour
✔ 11 Days China World Heritage Tour in North China
Travel with China Discovery
China Discovery is an experienced, professional, and reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. In order to have a hassle-free journey and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended traveling with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned, and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange a knowledgeable local tour guide, excellent accommodation, and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well and get a better understanding of springs culture in Jinan, Confucianism in Qufu, and Mount Tai culture in Shandong. You may select a favorite from our most popular Mount Tai tours or contact us to design a unique itinerary according to your personal time and preference.
- Mount Tai Tours
- 2 Days Enjoyable Mount Tai Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Most Classic Mount Tai Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Taishan & Qufu Tour from Beijing by Bullet Train
- 3 Days Confucius Culture Exploration with Sidetrip to Mount Tai
- 4 Days Cultural Discovery in Jinan, Taishan & Qufu
Top Mount Tai (Taishan) Tours
Helpful Mount Tai Travel Guide
Recommended Mount Tai Tours
Top 3 Mount Tai tours chosen by most customers to explore Mount Tai in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Enjoyable Mount Tai Hiking Tour
- 2 Days Mount Tai Qufu Tour from Beijing by Bullet Train
Beijing / Mount Tai / Qufu