How to Get from Guangzhou Airport to Downtown Guangzhou
To correctly make a right, detailed transportation plan from Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (short for Guangzhou Airport) to downtown area in Guangzhou, travelers need to make clear where the city center of Guangzhou is. Actually, the city center has two ideas, one is the “old city center” and the other is the “new city center”.
Distance to City Center of Guangzhou
● Old City Center of Guangzhou: Yuexiu District is the oldest downtown area in Guangzhou which includes many historical and cultural sites ranging from eight dynasties over 2000 history, like Five-Ram Sculpture and Zhenhai Tower in Yuexiu Park, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Temple of the Six Banyan Trees, Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Guangxiao Temple and more. The distance between Guangzhou Airport and Yuexiu District (namely Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall) is around 34 km/21 mi.
● New City Center of Guangzhou: Tianhe District (Its center is around Tianhe Stadium), created in 1985, is now considered to be the new city center of Guangzhou. It is mixed urban and suburban landscapes now include business and shopping centers constructed along with high-rise office and residential buildings. It is around 36 km/ 22mi between Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport and the center of Tianhe District.
Map of Guangzhou Airport to Downtown Area
Get from Guangzhou Airport to City Center: by Metro, Taxi and Shuttle Bus
There are two terminals of Guangzhou Airport - Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. No matter you arrive at terminal 1 or terminal 2, you’ve got several transportation plans to travel between the airport and the city center - by subway, by taxi as well as by shuttle bus.
By Subway / By Metro
Taking the subway to head to Guangzhou city center is the cheapest way without any traffic jams. Both Chinese and English are served on the metro. If you are independent travelers, you are recommended to transfer by subway, within 1 hour to the places you wish to go.
Metro line 3 (North Extension) is well linked Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport with new downtown area. The service is running between 06:10~23:00 everyday. Travelers who arrive at Terminal 1 should board at the stop “机场南” (Airport South Station), and for those arrive at Terminal 2 need to embark at “机场北” (Airport North Station).
To go directly to new downtown area, you can get off at “Tiyu Xilu” (体育西路) in Tainhe District, taking about 45 minutes in total. If you want to reach the old downtown first, travelers can transfer to metro line 2 at “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗) and then stop at “Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall” (纪念堂). The whole time you need is about 50 minutes.
|To||Metro Line to Take||Length|
|Yuexiu Park||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> “Yuexiu Park” (越秀公园站)||48mins|
|Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall” (纪念堂站)||49mins|
|Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> “Yuexiu Park” (越秀公园站)||48mins|
|Temple of the Six Banyan Trees||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> “Gongyuanqian” (公园前站)||51mins|
|Chen Clan Ancestral Hall||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Tiyu Xilu” (体育西路站) -> Line 1 -> “Chen Clan Ancestral Hall” (陈家祠站)||56mins|
|Shamian Island||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Yantang” (燕塘站) -> Line 6 -> “Huangsha” (黄沙站)||75mins|
|Tianhe Stadium||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Tiyu Xilu” (体育西路站)||45mins|
|Canton Tower||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Canton Tower” (广州塔站)||49mins|
|Chimelong Safari Park||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Dashi” (大石站)||90mins|
|Guangzhou Railway Station||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> “Guangzhou Railway Station” (广州火车站)||39mins|
|Guangzhou East Railway Station||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Guangzhou East Railway Station” (广州东站)||42mins|
|Guangzhou South Railway Station||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Jiahewanggang” (嘉禾望岗站) -> Line 2 -> “Guangzhou South Railway Station” (广州南站)||71mins|
|Guangzhou North Railway Station||Line 3 (North Extension) -> “Gaozeng” (高增站) -> Line 9 -> “Guangzhou North Railway Station” (广州北站)||30mins|
>> 2 Days Guangzhou Best Essence Savory Tour
Taking a taxi from the airport is the most convenient way to head directly to the destinations you planning to go. Once arriving at terminal 1 or terminal 2, you can follow the instructions and get a taxi easily.
The whole distance between the airport and downtown area is about 31~36km. The basic taxi fares in Guangzhou are CNY 10 for the first 2.5 kilometers, CNY 2.6 per kilometer between 2.5 and 35km, and CNY 3.9 per kilometer after 35km. Check the following frequent used destinations with detailed distances and prices for reference.
|To||Distance (KM)||Estimated Cost (CNY)||Estimated Length|
|Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall||34||110||50 mins|
|Yuexiu Park||31||100||47 mins|
|Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King||32||100||48 mins|
|Shamian Island||35||110||50 mins|
|Chen Clan Ancestral Hall||34||110||50 mins|
|Tianhe Stadium||40||130||55 mins|
|Canton Tower||45||150||1 hour|
|Guangzhou Railway Station||32||100||50 mins|
|Guangzhou East Railway Station||40||130||1 hour|
|Guangzhou South Railway Station||60||210||70 mins|
|Guangzhou North Railway Station||18||55||35 mins|
(Note: The above prices are for reference only and the taxi fares/length may changed based on the real situation. Furthermore, if you want to know more distance and fares to other destinations, you can feel free to ask for our travel experts for help.)
>> 3 Days Guangzhou Short Stay Tour
By Shuttle Bus
There are over 10 lines with numerous shuttle buses running between Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport and downtown area of Guangzhou from the early morning to last flights. Check the following routes, stops, frequency of each line and get the right shuttle bus for the transfer.
|Shuttle Bus Line||Destinations||Service Time||Length||Ticket Fare|
|Line 1||Guangzhou Railway Station||05:20 - last flight||60 mins||CNY 22|
|Line 2||Crown Plaza City Center,
Garden Hotel, Holiday Inn Hotel
|08:00 - last flight||50 mins||CNY 23|
|Line 3||Xingdu Grand Hotel||06:40 - 00:50||50 mins||CNY 26|
|Line 4||Vanke Shangcheng Yufu, Sheraton Hotel||07:35 - 00:40||100 mins||CNY 29/35|
|Line 5||Hilbin Hotel, Haizhu Plaza, Oriental Hotel||06:30 - last flight||50 mins||CNY 14/17/18/21|
|Line 6||Haitao Hotel, Grandview Mall, CITIC Plaza||07:00 - last flight||60 mins||CNY 21|
|Line 7A||Panyu Hotel, Yongcheng Hotel||06:50 - 01:50||70 mins||70 mins CNY 27/32|
|Line 7B||Qifu New Village, Lijiang Mingzhu Hotel||08:55 - 21:40||120 mins||CNY 28/30|
|Line 7c||Nansha Pilot Free Trade Zone||10:05 - 22:05||120 mins||CNY 45|
|Line 8A||Baoli Holiday Hotel, Bikko Hotels International,
Crowne Plaza Science City
|05:30 - 19:30||90 mins||CNY 23/26/27/28|
|Line 8B||Sun City Hotel||05:30 - 19:45||120 mins||CNY 36|
|Line 8C||Winton Hotel||07:20 - 19:00||100 mins||CNY 25|
|Line 9||Guangzhou North Railway Station||06:45 - 21:45||75 mins||CNY 5|
|Line 10||Millennium Garden Fuli||07:00 - 00:30||60 mins||CNY 25|
|Conghua Line||Cong Hua Terminal||07:20 - 22:00||60 mins||CNY 34|
|Zengcheng Line||Zeng Cheng Terminal||07:30 - 20:00||100 mins||CNY 57|
1. Where to Get on the Shuttle Buses: Upon arrival, travelers should head to the bus square at the west of Passenger Transportation Center to find the correct line for transfer.
2. Where to Get off the Shuttle Buses: When you go from downtown area to the airport, you’ll get off the entrance of departure. It is very convenient for you to catch your flights.
Guangzhou Airport to Canton Fair
Canton Fair (China Import and Export Fair) is the largest trade fair with the largest scale, the most complete exhibit variety, the broadest distribution of overseas buyers and the greatest business turnover held in Guangzhou. To attend the Canton Fair, travelers should head to China Import & Export Fair Complex (No.380, Middle Yuejiang Road, Haizhu District, Guangzhou City). The distance is about 45km/28mi. Learn more about Canton Fair >>
How to Get from Guangzhou Airport to Canton Fair Complex?
- ● By Metro: First take metro Line 3 (North Extension) and transfer at Tiyu Xilu (体育西站), hop on Line 3 and transfer at Kecun (客村站), take line 8 to get off at Pazhou (琶洲站). It needs 1 hour for the whole journey.
- ● By Taxi: Travelers can take a taxi directly heading to the event spot. It takes about CNY 150.
- ● By Shuttle Bus: It is time costing by taking shuttle bus, which needs around 2~2.5 hours. Shuttle line 10 can send you to New Zhujiang Hotel and here you should change to bus no.229 and make a stop at Pazhou (琶洲站).
Recommended Canton Fair Trip:
Travel with China Discovery
Doing all the research and solve all the trouble on your own can be a little time consuming and tiring. To leave all of your worries down and pay attention to the sightseeing and business in Guangzhou, it is highly recommended to use our private tour service which will be designed totally based on your wishes and demands.
The private tour service include private car service with your own drivers and comfortable car, your personal and experienced travel guide, sightseeing, dining, accommodation. All your need to do is focus on your trip and enjoy! If you need any help from China Discovery, please feel free to let us know and our friendly travel consultants are here ready to help!
Top Attractions in & around Guangzhou
- Chen Clan Ancestral Hall
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees
- Yuexiu Park
- Canton Tower
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall
- Nanyue King Mausoleum
- Kaiping Diaolou and Villages
- Top 16 Tourist Attractions in Guangzhou
- How to Plan a Guangzhou Tour
- How to Get to & around Guangzhou 2023
- Guangzhou Maps
- Guangzhou Metro
- Flights to Guangzhou
- Things to do in Guangzhou
- Featured Actitities in Guangzhou
- Top 6 Things to Do in Guangzhou at Night
- Canton Fair (China Import and Export Fair)
- Guangzhou Weather & Seasons
- Luxury Hotels in Guangzhou
- Comfortable Hotels in Guangzhou
- Where to Stay in Guangzhou
- 10 Best Cantonese Restaurants
- Cantonese Cuisine - Top Food to Eat in Guangzhou
- All Guangzhou Travel Guide
Other Useful Travel Articles of Guangzhou
Recommended Guangzhou Tours
Top 3 Guangzhou tours chosen by most customers to explore Guangzhou in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: