How to Get Visa to Shenzhen from Hong Kong 2024/2025
Notice on Latest Visa and Entry Policies for Foreigners Entering China - Updated on January 24, 2024:
1. Booking of flights and hotels, China itineraries and invitation letters are not required for application of Chinese Tourist Visa for U.S.nationals.
2. 15 Days Visa Exemption Policy is now available for other 6 countries including France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Malaysia. China will be 15-day visa free for Ireland and Switzerland soon.
3. China will gradually phase out the appointment system for visa applications. As of now, nearly 100 Chinese embassies and consulates abroad have implemented the "walk-in" system, and it is expected that all Chinese embassies and consulates abroad will have implemented the "walk-in" system by the end of this year.
4. Starting from 00:00 on November 1, 2023, individuals entering or exiting the country are exempt from filling out the "People's Republic of China Health Declaration Card for Entry/Exit."
5. Norway has become the 54th country whose passport holders can transit without visa up to 72/144 hours in China.
6. The 15-day visa-free entry policy for Singaporean citizens has been resumed.
7. Starting from August 30, 2023, individuals traveling to China will no longer be required to undergo pre-entry COVID-19 nucleic acid or antigen testing.
8. Make the following adjustments to the visa and entry policies for foreigners entering China, effective from 00:00 March 15, 2023 Beijing time:
1). The entry function of visas which were issued before March 28, 2020 and still valid will be restored.
2). Overseas visa offices will resume issuing various types of visas (including Tourist Visa) for foreigners to travel to China, with specific requirements detailed in the visa application guidelines of Chinese embassies or consulates.
3). Port visa offices will resume issuing various types of port visas for lawful purposes.
4). The policies of visa-free entry for Hainan, Shanghai International cruise arrival, Guangdong for Tourist group entry of foreigners from Hong Kong, Macau, and ASEAN tourist groups entering Guilin, Guangxi will be restored.
9. Attention on China Group Visa on Arrival in Nepal: needs minimum 4 applicants, and no maximum limit. All applicants from one list must all come to the Visa Center for application.
10. U.S. citizens holding multi-year multiple-entry visas issued before March 28, 2020, whose visas temporarily lost entry functionality between March 28, 2020, and March 14, 2023, due to the pandemic, are eligible to apply for compensation. Those who choose to apply for compensation will receive a free 3-year multiple-entry visa. Those who choose to waive the compensation can apply for a new 10-year multiple-entry visa at the regular fee.
China Discovery will keep focusing on the updates of the latest Chinese visa and entry policy! You can also call +86 010 12367 (Official telephone number of China National Immigration Administration) to check further information. Welcome to join in our Facebook Groups to catch up with the latest news!
Invitation letter is a vital document for Chinese visa application. If you travel with us, we will not only create a valuable tour for you, but also provide you an invitation letter if you request, which will help you obtain your visa successfully. Start customizing your tour in China now!
We are one of the few China travel agencies who have kept active and received lots of feedbacks and reviews during pandemic years
A trip to explore the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area (粤港澳大湾区) with diverse cityscape, culture, history and economic vitality attracts numerous tourists around the world. And Hong Kong is frequently used as gateway cities to Pearl River Delta, Southern China. For a visit from Hong Kong to “China’s Silicon Valley”- Shenzhen nearby, visa issue probably always confues you a lot. Here we will try our best to explain each policy clearly, provide most useful advice to help you travel Hong and Shenzhen worry-free!
Do I Need A Visa to Shenzhen from Hong Kong?
Shenzhen is located in China's mainland and borders Hong Kong, a special administative region in China with independent immigration policy. Whether you need a visa to travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, the answer depends on actual siuations, largely determined by your nationality (passport), travel route, entry port, arrival transport and places going to visit and other factors. Transit travelers may get visa-free tour to Shenzhen from Hong Kong if meeting related requirements.
How to Get Visa to Shenzhen from Hong Kong?
Once confirmed you do need a visa for Shenzhen from Hong Kong, eligible foreign visitors may apply a Shenzhen 5-Day Special Economic Tourist Visa on arrival at appointed border ports. Or you can apply a regular China Visa from overseas Chinese Embassy/Consulate beforehand.
Hong Kong to Shenzhen via Luohu Port
China Visa for Visiting Shenzhen from HK
Recommended Shenzhen Tours for You - Tailor-made, Valuable and Refoundable
1. Travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong Without Visa
The most popular and budget way to have a Shenzhen visa-free tour from Hong Kong is taking advantage of the current Shenzhen 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit Policy and 6-Day Pearl River Group Tour from Hong Kong. In that case, you don’t have to pay for a visa and prepare lots of paperwork, just apply a Temporary Entry Permit at specific entry port. What’s the conditions of application? How to get a visa-free travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong? Below are the detailed guide for you.
First Apply 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit at Guangzhou Airport
Option 1: 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit in Shenzhen from Hong Kong
From May 1, 2019, 144-Hour Transit Visa Exemption Policy has been officially impletmented in Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Jieyang in Guangdong Province. International transit passengers from 53 designated foreign countries are allowed to apply 144-Hour Transit without Visa (TWOV) at Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport and Jieyang Chaoshan Airport, if they hold valid passport or international travel documents, tickets leaving Guangdong within 144 hours.
Once granted entry permit by immigration authority, transit passengers could enjoy a “no-visa” stopover tour in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, any city in Guangdong for up to 6 days. Since there is no flight running between Hong Kong and Shenzhen, you must fly to Guangzhou first and then transfer to Shenzhen from Guangzhou.
Requirements for Applying for Shenzhen 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit
● Hold passport (with validity of at least 3 months) of the specific 53 foreign countries;
53 Countries Qualified for Shenzhen 144 Hour Visa Free Transit (Enlarge to See Full List)
● Hold (flight, ship, bus) tickets leaving Guangdong with confirmed seat and date (within 144 Hours).
● Travel route must be Hong Kong - Guangzhou - Shenzhen (Guangdong) - a third country/region
Since the policy is privilege for transit passengers, it requires a transit travel itineray, your departure place should be different from onward destination. It’s NOT applicable for a Hong Kong-Guangzhou - Shenzhen-Hong Kong tour.
Qualified travel route examples:
Hong Kong --> Guangzhou -->Shenzhen --> Macau; Hong Kong --> Guangzhou -->Shenzhen --> US
● Take flight to Hong Kong to Guangzhou Firstly
Shenzhen’s 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit Policy is only applied at Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport, but Hong Kong has no flights to Shenzhen. Obviously, you can’t apply the 6-day visa-free trip to Shenzhen if arrival by overland ports, like Luohu, Huanggang or ferry terminals like Fuyong, Shekou Port. So, you shall apply 144-Hour Temporary Entry Permit at Guangzhou Airport.
1. After entry, the total duration of visa-free stay in Shenzhen is 144 hours. It counts from the 00:00 the second day upon arrival. Visit the Exit & Entry Administation Deparment of the local Public Security Bureau for further help if intend to overstay.
2.Under the 144-Hour TWOV Rule, you are permitted to visit Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Zhuhai, Foshan, Jiangmen and any cities in Guangdong Province only. However, it’s not allowed to travel to places outside Guangdong Province. If have to, also get official assistance from the PSB.
3.To leave China's mainland, you must exit from Guangdong’s 32 opened ports, including Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport, Shatoujiao, Wenjindu, Huanggang, Luohu, Shenzhen Bay Port in Shenzhen, or Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, and so on.
Top Recommended Shenzhen Tours:
Option 2: 6-Day Visa-Free Group Tour in Pearl River Delta from Hong Kong
With the special regional visa exemption policy in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area, joining in a group tour is another doable choice to travel to Shenzhen visa free from Hong Kong. Specifically, alines in group tours organized by Hong Kong-registered travel agencies may get 6-day tour to Shenzhen, Guangzhou and total 10 cities in Pearl River Delta without applying a visa, if arrival from Hong Kong directly. 6-Day Pearl River Delta Visa-Free Group Tour >>
6 Day Group Tour to Shenzhen and Pearl River Delta from Hong Kong
What are the Qualifications?
① Alreay in Hong Kong and will get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong directly.
② Come from countries that have established diplomatic relations with China.
③ Join in a tourist group received and organized by travel agency registered in Hong Kong.
④ Entry purpose is for tour only.
Special Restrictions Need to Follow
1. Visa-free period is no longer than 6 days. The time starts calculating from 00:00 the next after entry.
2. Stay area is limited within administative regions of Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing, Huizhou, Shantou, altogether 10 cities in Guangdong, Pearl River Delta.
3. The “no-visa” tour is applicable to Shantou (汕头) only when the tourist group visit and stay in Shantou only and exit via Shantou afterwards.
Top Recommended Shenzhen Tours:
2. Get Hong Kong to Shenzhen Visa on Arrival
Apply for Shenzhen 5 Day Visa on Arrival at Luohu Port
Shenzhen is well-known not only as a vice-provincial city in Guangdong Province, a super first-tier city in China after Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, but also a leading fast-growing Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in China. Thus, a particular visa policy, a 5-Day Shenzhen Visa on Arrival is carried out in Shenzhen to encourage it’s further development, exchange and opening to the world. No advance preparation is required, only few simple steps, qualified travelers may obtain a short-term single-entry Shenzhen SEZ Visa upon arrival at certain ports.
Shenzhen 5-Day Visa on Arrival Requirements
▶ Visit Shenzhen from Hong Kong directly.
▶ Carry valid original passport (remaining validity should be 3 months and above) with blank pages.
▶ Get to Shenzhen for tourism, business, or other personal affairs.
▶ Complete Shenzhen Special Economic Zone Tourist Visa Application Form at visa office at the border ports.
▶ Enter Shenzhen via specific ports, like Luohu, Huanggang (Shenzhen Checkpoints).
Important Notes Must Know
1. Citizens from 25 countries can NOT apply the on arrival visa to Shenzhen. They are Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Cameroon, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, Uganda, Yemen.
2. The Shenzhen Visa on Arrival is charged different by nationalities at border ports.
3. The port visa merely allows one entry and visit in Shenzhen, no more travel to other cities in Guangdong or China.
4. The Shenzhen SEZ Visa is NOT applicable to Hong Kong-Shenzhen Bullet Train travelers, since Hong Kong departure and mainland arrival clearance procedures will be completed both in Hong Kong West Kowloon Train Station. You can’t get the on-arrival visa in the West Kowloon Train Station.
Top Recommended Shenzhen Tours:
3. Apply China Visa to Visit Shenzhen from Hong Kong
Apply China Visa to Visit Shenzhen from Hong Kong
Those who are not eligible for the above mentioned visa-free and visa-on-arrival situations, should apply for a full China Visa to Shenzhen. Multiple-entry Visa is highly suggested. You can either submit application to Chinese Embassy/Consulate abroad ahead of time, or apply while in Hong Kong.
Holding a valid China Visa, you can travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, or transfer from Guangzhou to Shenzhen from HK, even extend journey to Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Guilin, Chengdu and else popular destinations in China's mainland. Another convenince is you can choose any transportion available to get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, maybe a Hong Kong-Shenzhen High Speed Bullet Train, the verry fast MTR subway or by ferry, without limitation like the former introduced cases. Needless to say, getting a regular China Visa makes your Hong Kong mainland tour easier and much more convenient.
Useful Guides to Apply for China Visa:
How to Get to Shenzhen from Hong Kong - By Train, Ferry, Bus, Subway, Car
Vibrant Express Bullet Train from Hong Kong to Shenzhen Takes Less Than 20 Minutes
Short distance and available multiple connection makes transporation between Hong Kong and Shenzhen really fast and convenient. At present, tourists can travel to Shenzhen from Hong Kong by high speed bullet train, MTR, coach, ferry, private car. (Note that different transporation could determine if you need a visa for Shenzhen or not.)
◆By MTR : take Hong Kong MTR East Rail Line to Lo Wu - Luohu Port - Shenzhen
◆By Bullet Train: Hong Kong West Kowloon Train Station (Hong Kong) - Shenzhen North Train Station or Futian Train Station (Shenzhen)
Every day, there are more than 90 high speed bullet trains (all G trains) departing from Hong Kong to Shenzhen from about 07:00am to 23:00pm.
◆By Private Driving: around 1 to 1.5 hours - most recommended for business travelers.
◆By Ferry: Hong Kong International Airport/HK Macau Ferry Terminal - Shekou Cruise Center/Shenzhen Bao’an Airport (around 1 hour)
◆By Coach: 1/25 bus stations in Hong Kong to 1/12 bus stations in Shenzhen.
Travel with China Discovery
No matter you are planing a quick day trip to Shenzhen from Hong Kong, or thinking about an in-depth discovery in Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area, China Discovery will always provide you updated guide of China Visa, useful trip planning advice, thoughtful service (includng tour guide, driver, hotel and ticket booking...) and any help you may need.
Travel with us, you will visit landmarks in Shenzhen, catch a glimple of its innovation spirit, culture and prosperity, as well as distinctive history and folk art, cuisine in Guangdong. Moreover, you can take a longer trip from Shenzhen, Guangdong to Beijing, Shanghai, Guilin to witness different charm and landscape of vast China.
You may choose from our most popular China tours, or just contact us, tell your interests and travel plans, we could customize a perfect Shenzhen and China tour as you like.
- Do I Need a Visa for China
- Chinese Visa Introduction
- Chinese Visa Types
- Chinese Visa Application
- Requirements for Visa Application
- China Visa Application Form
- China Visa Photo Requirements
- How Much is a Chinese Visa
- China Visa Renewal & Extension
- China Visa Application Online
- China Visa Processing Time
- Chinese Visa Exemptions
- Chinese Embassy & Consulate
- 72-hour Visa Free in China
- 144-hour Visa Free in China
- Tibet Travel Permit
- Passport for China Travel
- Chinese Visa FAQs
Extension Readings of Chinese Visa
- Pearl River Delta 6 Day Free Visa
- Hong Kong to Shenzhen Visa
- Hong Kong Visa
- Macau SAR Visa
- Guangzhou Visa
- Shenzhen 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit
- Shenzhen Visa on Arrival (VOA)
- Hong Kong Zhuhai Macau Bridge
- Greater Bay Area Maps
- 10 Best Things to Do in GBA 2024
- 20 Best Places to Visit in GBA
More Guide of Greater Bay Area Visa & Facts
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Hong Kong / Shenzhen
Hong Kong / Shenzhen / Macau / Hong Kong
Hong Kong / Guangzhou / Shenzhen / Macau / Hong Kong
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: