Jiayuguan Transportation - Get to & Around Jiayuguan
Located in the northwest of Gansu Province, Jiayuguan, an important outpost along the Silk Road, is known for its fortress (the starting point of the Great Wall in the west). It can be reached by both flights and high-speed trains. Here, we offer you some detailed information about Jiayuguan Transportation and how to get to Jiayuguan from other cities like Beijing, Xian, and Xining, etc.
Click to Jump to:
Get to Jiayuguan by Air
Jiayuguan Airport is the only airport in Jiayuguan. There are nonstop flights to Jiayuguan from Lanzhou (2h), Xian (2.5h). If you travel from somewhere else, you may need to take a transfer in these cities.
Jiayuguan Airport (IATA: JGN)
• Location: Jichang Road, Jiayuguan City (嘉峪关市机场路)
Jiayuguan Airport (嘉峪关机场), built-in 1953, is about 14km to the northeast of Jiayuguan city. It is a small civil & military airport, but it has all the necessary facilities. At present, Jiayuguan Airport only operates regular nonstop flights to Xian, Lanzhou throughout the year, and seasonal flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, etc. No international flights are available yet. As there are not many flights and the flight schedule is not fixed, people may need to check more specific flight information according to the date of your travel plan.
To Jiayuguan downtown: about 14km, 25min by car
To Jiayuguan Pass/Jiayuguan Fortress: about 19km, 30min by car
Get to Jiayuguan by Train
There are 3 train stations in Jiayuguan, namely Jiayuguan Railway Station, Jiayuguan South Railway Station, and Lvhua Railway Station. Among them, Jiayuguan Railway Station and Jiayuguan South Railway Station (high-speed bullet train station) are the major train stations. It is convenient to take a train when flights are not available.
Jiayuguan Railway Station (嘉峪关站)
• Location: Near the intersection of Yingbin west road and Zhanqian road in Jiayuguan city, Gansu Province 甘肃省嘉峪关市迎宾西路与站前路交叉处附近
Jiayuguan Railway Station is an interchange station on Lanzhou-Xinjiang Rail with multiple normal trains bounding for Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Hankou, Chongqing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, Lianyungang, Guangzhou, Kunming, Zhengzhou, Baoji, Shangqiu, Jinan, Fuzhou, Tiejinshan, Dunhuang, Lanzhou, Wuwei, Urumchi, Korla, Aksu, Yining, etc.
To Jiayuguan downtown: about 3km, 5min by car.
To Jiayuguan Pass/ Jiayuguan Fortress: about 8km, 15min by car.
Jiayuguan Railway Station
Jiayuguan South Railway Station (嘉峪关南站)
• Location: Xiongguan Avenue, Manshu town, Jingtie District, Jiayuguan 嘉峪关市镜铁区文殊镇雄关大道
Located in the southern outskirt of Jiayuguan, Jiayuguan South Railway Station has been put into use since 2014. It only operates bullet trains to some major cities and scenic cities in western China such as Lanzhou, Xian, Dunhuang, Zhangye, etc. It now mainly serves Lanzhou-Xinjiang Railway.
To Jiayuguan downtown: about 8km, 15min by car.
To Jiayuguan Pass/Jiayuguan Fortress: about 15km, 25min by car.
Jiayuguan South Railway Station
Jiayuguan Train Schedules:
- Jiayuguan to Xian
- Jiayuguan to Zhangye
- Jiayuguan to Dunhuang
- Jiayuguan to Lanzhou
- Jiayuguan to Guazhou
- Jiayuguan to Beijing
- Jiayuguan to Turpan
- Jiayuguan to Urumqi
- Jiayuguan to Kashgar
- Jiayuguan to Xining
- Xian to Jiayuguan
- Zhangye to Jiayuguan
- Dunhuang to Jiayuguan
- Lanzhou to Jiayuguan
- Guazhou to Jiayuguan
- Beijing to Jiayuguan
- Turpan to Jiayuguan
- Urumqi to Jiayuguan
- Kashgar to Jiayuguan
- Tianshui to Jiayuguan
- Xining to Jiayuguan
Get from Beijing to Jiayuguan
The distance between Beijing and Jiayuguan is about 2,000km. There is sometimes a daily flight from Beijing Capital International Airport to Jiayuguan. It will make a stop in Lanzhou and the total duration is about 6 hours.
People can also take trains to make the transfer. All the 3 daily trains are normal trains and it will take from 21h to 28h. There is no direct high-speed train between Beijing and Jiayuguan. If taking a bullet train, you will need to transfer to Lanzhou and it will take at least 7h from Beijing to Lanzhou and 6h from Lanzhou to Jiayuguan.
• Useful Links: Beijing to Jiayuguan Train Schedule | Jiayuguan to Beijing Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 9 Days Silk Road Tour with Best of China Golden Triangle Cities | 12 Days Silk Road Tour from Beijing
Beijing Forbidden City
Get from Xian to Jiayuguan
The distance between Xian and Jiayuguan is about 1300km. Taking a flight is the most recommended traveling way. There are some daily nonstop flights between the two cities and the duration is only about 2.5h. In offseason, the plane ticket for the economy seat can be even cheaper than the train ticket sometimes.
As for trains, there are 3 daily high-speed trains (9h) and over 13 normal trains (15-18h). You can check the specific schedule in the links below and choose the one that fits you best.
• Useful Links: Xian to Jiayuguan Train Schedule | Jiayuguan to Xian Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 10 Days Classic Silk Road Tour from Xian
Xian Ancient City Wall
Get from Xining to Jiayuguan
Xining is the capital of adjacent Qinghai Province and only 600km from Jiayuguan. As an important traffic hub city on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Although both cities have airports, there is no need to open an airline between them. Over 12 daily high-speed bullet trains are running and transferring passengers efficiently between 9 am to about 7 pm, and the duration is about 3 or 4 hours.
• Useful Links: Xining to Jiayuguan Train Schedule | Jiayuguan to Xining Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 10 Days Qinghai & Gansu Highlights Tour | 8 Days Qinghai Gansu Jiuzhaigou Land Tour
Get from Lanzhou to Jiayuguan
Lanzhou, the capital of Gansu Province, and Jiayuguan are only 700km away with convenient transportation. Actually, many people from other cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, will choose Lanzhou as a transfer city to Jiayuguan. You will need only 2 hours to fly to Jiayuguan from Lanzhou. There are multiple flights taking off even in the offseason.
If the flight doesn’t fit your schedule, there are about 18 daily over-night trains for your choice, taking 7 ~ 10 hours from Lanzhou Railway Station or Lanzhou West Railway Station to Jiayuguan Railway Station.
• Useful Links: Lanzhou to Jiayuguan Train Schedule | Jiayuguan to Lanzhou Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 11 Days Northwestern China Cultural Relic & Desert Landscape Tour
Get from Zhangye to Jiayuguan
Renowned for its stunning Danxia landform, Zhangye is only about 200km to the northwest of Jiayuguan. With such a short distance, you can get there by train or by car (about 2.5h) easily.
There are over 40 daily trains in operation all day. About 12 of them are D high-speed trains and can take you there in 1.5 hours. The others are normal trains and will take 2-5 hours.
• Useful Links: Jiayuguan to Zhangye Train Schedule | Zhangye to Jiayuguan Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 6 Days Zhangye Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour | 8 Days Gansu Highlights Tour
Zhangye Danxia Landform
Get from Dunhuang to Jiayuguan
Dunhuang is another unmissable scenic city of Gansu Province, an important outpost along the Silk Road. It is worldly renowned for the Mogao Caves and other grottoes. Dunhuang is about 400km to the northwest of Jiayuguan.
There is no direct flight between Jiayuguan and Dunhuang. So we can only choose one of the five daily trains. The most recommended one is the 4.5-hour D-train. The others are all overnight trains and will take about 7 hours.
• Useful Links: Dunhuang to Jiayuguan Train Schedule | Jiayuguan to Dunhuang Train Schedule
• Recommended Tours: 4 Days Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour (Silk Road Short Break)
Dunhuang Mogao Grottoes
Get to Jiayuguan by Long-distance Bus
• Location: 13 Lanxin West Road, Jiayuguan 嘉峪关市兰新西路13号
Jiayuguan Bus Station (嘉峪关汽车站) is in the downtown area. It has now over 210 buses running about 20 lines connecting cities in and out of Gansu Province. If you plan to go somewhere near Jiayuguan such as Lanzhou, Urumqi, Dunhuang, Jiuquan, Zhangye, Jinchang, Mingle, Gaotai, Minqin, Jinta, Hami, Urumqi, Aksai, Yumen, Linxia, Xifeng, etc. Taking a bus is also an option apart from the trains.
• Recommended Tours: 2 Days Jiayuguan Cultural Highlights Tour
Jiayuguan Bus Station
Getting Around Jiayuguan
Jiayuguan is not a big city, so there is no subway in Jiayuguan. The most common public transportation for independent travelers is bus or taxi.
• City Bus: There are not many bus lines in Jiayuguan. Bus No. 1 and No. 6 can reach the main scenic sites from/to the city center. The fare is RMB 1 Per Person. The operation time is 7:00-19:20 (in spring and winter); 7:00-20:00 (in summer and autumn). There is a direct bus line to Jiayuguan Fortress. If you want to go to other attractions, you may need to charter a bus/car.
• Intercity Bus: There is a direct bus between Jiayuguan and Jiuquan. The bus fare is CNY 4/CNY 3 per person.
• Taxi: The starting fare of Jiayuguan taxi is about CNY 6. Taking a taxi costs about CNY 15 to Jiayuguan Fortress and CNY 20 to Jiayuguan South Railway Station.
• Recommended Tours: 6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour(Zhangye/Jiayuguan/Dunhuang)
How to Plan Your Jiayuguan Tour
Usually, one or two days are enough to cover most of the highlights in Jiayuguan, which include the unmissable Jiayuguan Pass Scenic Area, the Xuanbi Great Wall, the First Beacon Tower Relic of the Great Wall(the first strategic post), and the Wei-Jin Tombs. All of these attractions are reachable by car from Jiayuguan Downtown within half an hour.
From Jiayuguan, you can extend your trip to Dunhuang, Zhangye, and Lanzhou (Capital city of Gansu Province), and even to Turpan, Urumqi of Xinjiang.
★ Top-Recommended Jiayuguan Tour
>>6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour(Zhangye/Jiayuguan/Dunhuang)
>>4 Days Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour (Silk Road Short Break)
>> 2 Days Jiayuguan Cultural Highlights Tour
Travel Jiayuguan with China Discovery
Want to travel in and around Jiayuguan and don't know how to arrange your day by day itinerary? In every city, our professional local guide and driver will escort you from your hotel, train station, airport to all attractions with comfortable private car with speed and convenience and let you catch the highlights of every site and city, so you can get really relaxed on the way and focus on what you are interested. The tour can be tailor made according to your plan, time and interests and demands. If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact us and tell us your needs, and we will customize a memorable tour for you!
Most Popular Jiayuguan Tours
- Best Jiayuguan Tours
- Jiayuguan Highlights Tour
- Zhangye Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour
- Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour
- Popular Gansu Tours
- Ancient Silk Road Tours
Useful Jiayuguan Travel Guide
Recommended Jiayuguan Tours
Top 3 Jiayuguan tours chosen by most customers to explore Jiayuguan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour(Zhangye/Jiayuguan/Dunhuang)
Lanzhou - Zhangye - Jiayuguan - Dunhuang
- 4 Days Jiayuguan Dunhuang Tour (Silk Road Short Break)
Jiayuguan / Dunhuang
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: