[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
How to spend a leisure and luxury holiday in Xiamen? Why not get away to the refreshing sunny coastal Gulangyu Island and idyllic Tulou villages? World Cultural Heritage Site - Gulangyu is quite favored for a laid-back releasing. While Fujian Tulou 3 hours’ driving away from Xiamen downtown is particularly popular for international visitors to admire the amazing round and square earthen buildings with interesting Hakka people’s history and culture.
This 5 day Xiamen and Fujian Tulou tour combines the best highlights in Xiamen including Gulangyu together with the top best Tulou clusters such as Tianluokeng, Zhenchenglou, etc. in Yongding and Nanjing in a comfortable slow pace. What’s more, it specially covers 2 nights staying at luxurious Tsingpu Tulou Retreat which is refurbished from 5 authentic Tulou of over 100 years old, with prize-winning design, exquisite luxurious rooms, delicate food and beverages, fun Hakka activities, etc.
Day 1 Xiamen ArrivalAirport / railway station pick up
Welcome to Xiamen, the Garden City on the Sea! Your local guide and driver will meet you at the arrival hall of Xiamen airport or railway stations and then escort you to your hotel at Xiamen downtown and help you with the check-in. The rest of today is on your own to explore this beautiful city.
Arrival Ideals: Xiamen has frequent daily flights from Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Xian, Kunming, etc. Besides, you can take a bullet train from Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Guilin, Fuzhou, Huangshan, and so on.
Evening Idea: take a leisure walk at Zhongshan Road Pedestrian Street where you’ll appreciate lots of beautiful old arcade buildings in Chinese, Western and South Asian styles and also some local popular food for a good try!
- Welcome to Xiamen
Day 2 Xiamen (B, L)Huandao Road, Nanputuo Temple, Gulangyu Island
Good morning! Your guide and driver will meet you at your hotels and then take you to have a classic discovery of the refreshing Xiamen City.
First, head to Huandao Road, which is the main track of Xiamen International Marathon belting Xiamen Island. This beautiful “golden coastal line” built along the sea is praised as “Five Colors Road’ with the blue sea, golden beaches, green grassland, red track and gray highway! Take a relaxing scenic walk on the wooden plank paths to savor the pleasant seascape and palm grove, walk by various interesting sculptures, enjoy sunshine at a quiet soft beach, inhale the little salty sea breeze and feel the strong ideal island charm of Xiamen City. (Optional Activity: If you want to bike along Huangdao Road to discover more beautiful places scattered along, please tell your guide, which needs extra charge.)<
Next, go to visit Nanputuo Temple (South Putuo Temple) of more than 1,000 years old. Enter the temple to admire a grand cluster of Buddhist halls with flying eaves and yellow tiles standing layer by layer under century-old trees and against the emerald mountain and pray in front of the holy Buddhas. Meanwhile, immerse into the peaceful atmosphere with locals taking a break around the large lotus pond, traditional Chinese pavilions, corridors, etc.. Later, walk about 20 minutes up to Wulao Peak to have a terrific bird’s eye view of the beautiful Xiamen University, Xiamen Port and the nearby islets on the blue sea!
Then, take a 20-minutes’ ferry to Gulangyu Island from Xiamen downtown. It is the No.1 attraction in Xiamen and also a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage with dozens of precious historical architectures built by people from the UK, Italy, France, Spain, Japan, etc. during the Second Opium War, thus, this little island of 1.88 s.q.m wide is regarded as “International Architecture Museum” with relic sites of 13 embassies from 18th-19th centuries. Roam along the old alleys to appreciate those left sites of churches, mansions, villas, banks and museums telling the historical stories of Gulangyu. Walk up to the most famous Sunlight Rock and catch the wonderful panorama of the large group of red and pink Western styled architectures with dotted emerald trees. Then, go to discover the must-see Shuzhuang Garden that is the classic model of traditional Chinese garden on the sea. Take a leisure stroll amongst the twisty corridors, ancient halls with flying eaves and blue tiles, delicate pavilions, poetic gardens and ponds, etc. facing the shimmering sea and feel its traditional Chinese literal beauty contrasting to the western charm surrounding. Step into the outstanding Piano Museum which boasts an awesome collection of nearly 100 precious old pianos from all over the world for your worthy musical inspiration. Enjoy your architectural savory and then take the ferry back to Xiamen downtown.
After the visiting, Your guide and driver will escort you to your hotel in Xiamen. Have a good rest!
- Huandao Road
- Nanputuo Temple Panorama
- Xiamen University View from Wulao Peak
- Gulangyu Island
- Sightseeing from Sunlight Rock
Day 3 Xiamen - Nanjing Tulou (B, L, D)Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster, Yuchang Building, Taxia Village, Hakka Activity at Tsingpu Tulou Retreat
After breakfast, your guide and driver will meet at your hotels and then escort you to see the earthen buildings (Tulou) in Nanjing County with a 3-hour scenic drive. Fujian Tulou are the traditional dwelling houses of Chinese Hakka people with round, square or rectangular appearance for living in family groups and have been listed as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site in 2008. And Nanjing Tulou is a key part of Fujian Tulou heritage site and keeps the famous and more primitive earthen building to discovery.
First, walk up to the viewing platform to have a bird’s eye view of the must-see Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster from the best angle, which is the most famous earthen building cluster known as “Four Dishes and a Soup” with 3 round, 1 oval and 1 rectangular well preserved earthen building looking really like a set of meal on the natural tablecloth of the lush mountain an graceful rice terraces surrounding.
Next, go to discover Yuchang Building that was built during 1308-1338. It is the present oldest Tulou and the largest and highest round Tulou with highest floor height in Nanjing region. Also, it is famous as “Zigzag Building” because it looks about to totter with a maximum inclination of 15 degrees due to weather beats and earthquakes, however, it stands quite still till nowadays. Walk into this Tulou and closely look at the zigzag wooden pillars which have well supported such huge building for over 600 years.
Then, visit Taxia Village. With an “S” shaped stream floating across the entire village, two earthen buildings located just right on the two curves, and multiple big and small Tulou built along the banks, this village is reputed as a “Water Town of Taichi” with rich Tulou flavor. You will not miss Yude Building known as “Apron Building”, Deyuan Hall with outstanding sculptures of birds, beasts and flowers and also the 24 Hakka stone flagpoles beside the semilunar pond.
After that, walk to Tsingpu Tulou Retreat to enjoy featured Hakka activity arranged according to the Tsingpu’s schedule. (Usually there are cooking class, Tulou model painting, Hakka orange tea making, Hakka liquor making, glutinous rice cake making, bamboo weaving, colored drawing on ceramics, etc. in the afternoon, which lasts for about 1.5-3 hours based on the different activities.) Learn some Hakka culture during the fun time there!
Enjoy your dinner and accommodate at Tsingpu Tulou Retreat. It is a luxury boutique hotel refurbished from 5 century-old Tulou covering 3,700 s.q.m. and joined as a member of the international Design Hotels alliance. This retreat has 22 two bedroom suites and is finely designed with green killas and warm solid wood in classic Chinese antique charm and modern luxury. All rooms with cozy linens and advanced equipment give you the best holiday mood at the real Tulou village. Also, public courtyard, exhibition space, yoga hall, children’s playground, abundant well displayed artworks, etc. are all nice for vacation releasing and aesthetic pleasure. (The hotel rates differ by room types and date. Please let us know which type of room you'd like to stay so that we can book in advance as the rooms sell out very quickly especially during peak season)
- Tianluokeng Tulou Cluster
- Yuchanglou (Zigzag Building)
- Taxia Village
- Tsingpu Tulou Retreat Courtyard
- Cosy Advanced Room of Tsingpu Tulou Retreat
- Making Hakka Orange Tea at Tsingpu Tulou Retreat
Day 4 Nanjing Tulou (B, L, D)Hegui Building, Huaiyuan Building, Hekeng Tulou Cluster
After breakfast today, your guide and driver will meet you at the hotel and then drive about 0.5 hour to visit Hegui Building and Huaiyuan Building at Yunshuiyao Scenic Area, both outstanding Tulou have been recorded into UNESCO’s World Heritage List!
Hegui Building built from 1732 and with 5 floors is the tallest square earthen building listed by UNESCO. It is also praised as a “Noah’s Ark on Marshland”, since it was constructed on a 3,000 meters wide marshland, however, stands still after over 200 years. Do not forget to stamp the cobblestone patio to feel its interesting vibration!
Huaiyuan Building is the best preserved and most delicate round earthen building with one circle within another. Marvel at its most conspicuous hall where to see three classrooms for the cultural education of descendants, antique carvings and designs with scholar vibes and a hanging plaque with three characters of “Si Shi Shi (斯是室)” indicating the owner’s pursuit of contributing to the country through learning!
Then, drive to Hekeng Tulou Cluster to walk up to the peak of Lion Hill and catch the amazing panorama of Hekeng Tulou Cluster. With the unique layout, the 14 circular and square earthen buildings look like two “Big Dipper” lying at the special galaxy of surrounding emerald mountains, hovering mists, pieces of farming fields and clear floating stream, which is really a wonderful miracle of nature and human efforts.
After the visiting, you will be escorted back to Tsingpu Tulou Retreat. Enjoy your dinner and have a good rest!
- Heguilou Built on Marshland
- Hekeng Tulou Cluster Full View
Day 5 Nanjing Tulou - Yongding Tulou - Xiamen Departure (B, L)Hongkeng Tulou Cluster, Chuxi Tulou Cluster, Flights or Trains off Xiamen
After breakfast today, you will be escorted to Hongkeng Tulou Cluster and visit Zhencheng Building from 1912 that is praised as “Prince of Tulou” and famous for its splendid design and exquisite interiors according to China’s traditional culture of Bagua. Have a close look at its most conspicuous hall, which is two floors high and has 4 circular granite columns in western features, making the Tulou with Chinese Hakka exterior and special western interior decoration. And walk to see Kuiju Building from 1834. This special palatial square Tulou constructed for 5 years is unique among all Fujian Tulou and looks like the style of Potala Palace from afar. Walk around to appreciate its diverse fancy carvings, paintings, sculptures and more awesome artistic colorful decoration on every corner.<
Then, drive to Chuxi Tulou Cluster that is reputed as “most beautiful Tulou cluster in China” an also the most concentrate, ancient, complete and famous Tulou cluster. Walk by the stream to visit Jiqing Building. Constructed in 1419, this Tulou is the oldest and most special circular construction in Yongding, with 72 stairs separating the building into 72 independent units. Walk upstairs to the museum to look at those old object for living and entertainment for Hakka people in the past and displays of their history, culture and art. Then, take a short hike on the north mountain and have a full view of Chuxi Tulou Cluster. Immerse into the fabulous traditional Hakka rural landscape with the most eye-catching three circular and one square Tulou, the youngest Tulou with distinct white wall and other tens of various round, square, rectangular, oval, octagonal shaped Tulou scattered on the lush rice terraces slop mountain. (Optional experience: in Autumn season, you can choose to catch the rare chance to pick up local fruits and even try the primitive farm work.)
After the tour, transfer back to Xiamen. And your guide and driver will escort you to the airport/railway station to catch the flight or train to your next destination. Tour ends!
- Zhenchenglou (Prince of Tulou)
- Chuxi Tulou Cluster
- Jiqinglou Interior
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in 4-star hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2021.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.95. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
Tour guide Selina was really great, she was enthusiastic and friendly. Very knowledgable about HuangShan. Car was spacious, but we had to change vans frequently.
Hotel was okay, a little small on the mountain, but overall not bad. Understandable that it’s small. It was a lot of hard work for the people to bring hotels things up to the mountain.
We would suggest to add 宏村 to schedules next time. We thought it was really nice.
We were lucky because weather is nice. Restaurants Selina brought us to were all good. A lot of stairs on the mountains, but great trip overall.
Good evening Wonder!
The trip to Chongqing were great. The driver was good and the car clean and tidy. Perfect. Diana was also very good. Knowledgeable and willing to adapt to my wishes or needs. Very well experienced.
For further trip around China I will use your services for sure.
Hello! The trip was wonderful, both our Mr. Li and Cindy were very nice and welcoming.
1. Is your travel consultant of our company fast enough to answer your E-mail and patient enough to answer your questions?
Yes, everything was taken care of promptly, and Johnson was very flexible to meet my needs as I looked to modify plans. I appreciate the great job he did in making this a successful trip.
2. How do you comment your tour arrangements?
- Tour guide Peter was excellent, very enthusiastic and informative. He also helped to get all of my train tickets for the trip which was very helpful.
- Driver very good- no issues.
- Hotel was very good- new , modern hotel, with good facilities and very good breakfast. Location in the entertainment district was perfect for walking around at night. Highly recommend to keep this one.
- Tour arrangements were good. Morning touring the kilns and the museum was nice to see. The afternoon was perhaps a bit less organized without specific stops- would have been better to see specific galleries where shopping could be done, or going to the factory area downtown (which we eventually did because I asked to do so).
- Lunch was very good- good to go to an authentic local place for food.
- Transition to Huangshan was smooth , without issue.
- Tour guide Xia (Jerry) was excellent, very strategic in his approach to ensure a great experience.
- Driver was very good- no issues.
- Huangshan International Hotel was ok- I would say average, could be better. Location was good near the downtown. Breakfast was not very good – pretty low quality.
- Trip to Huangshan was well handled by Jerry, getting to the top of the mountain in reasonable time despite the crowds and he led me well around the mountain. We covered what I wanted to see- he encouraged us to see everything on day 1 with the weather getting worse – a very good call.
- Xihai Hotel had very nice rooms and a nice bar area. The only downside is there is only a buffet for dinner and it is not very good, but guess we had little choice. I did not eat breakfast there.
- Trip to Hongcun and Bishan the next day was very good. We left Huangshan early as the mountain was fogged over. Hongcun was crazy busy due to holidays but we saw the main sights, and then I had some time to walk around. I felt a little rushed with the schedule but still saw enough. Lunch was ok, not great. Bishan was very nice, with a chance to bike around the village areas and quiet. Xia guided me around the town on bike and then left me to bike on my own.
- Accommodation in Bishan was excellent- Pig’s Inn is perfect, and these type of atmospheric farm stays are much preferred by me and would be for other travelers. The dinner and breakfast were probably the best food I had on the trip, and having the Dog’s Bistro around the corner for drinks was an ideal setup.
- The next day was good as well. As we were running ahead on the agenda, we added Nanping, which was a quiet beautiful village to walk around, and then we went to Xidi, which was really nice and large. We spent a full morning in these two villages and then stopped for lunch outside Xidi. Lunch was ok- better than the day before, but not exceptional. Then we stopped in the Old Street in Huangshan to buy some Shaobing, and then we finished the day a little early at 230 pm. I feel maybe we could have added one more thing to see, but this was fine.
Train trip to Zhangjiajie
- No issues, very smooth transition in Changsha. Driver moved me across the city efficiently.
- Tour guide Derrick was very good, he had a few moments where we was a bit pessimistic about the weather and crowds, but he managed the situation professionally and did a great job despite the bad weather.
- Our main driver was very good, he handled everything well. The drivers we had for short pickups were less reliable- the one picking me up to go to Tianmen Mountain was late, and generally they were less friendly and reliable, requiring effort by Derrick to fix.
- Hotel (Santo Domingo) was below standard and I would strongly advise you to change to Crowne Plaza or Pullman which are much more appropriate hotels for international travelers. The breakfast looked very questionable in quality so I went to Starbucks.
- The tour to the glass bridge was very good and I got to see everything, despite not great weather. Then, we went to Zhangjiajie where weather was not great at the top but Derrick found good trails on the bottom where we could see some scenery. We then went to late lunch/early dinner which was an excellent restaurant with very good food.
- The next day at Avatar mountain was good for weather – Derrick timed the visit to be a bit later to ensure we would see something at the best part of the day. We missed out the 3rd viewpoint due to fog, but again, he found another trail for us to hike at the bottom. Again we went to a late lunch/early dinner at a very good restaurant.
- The Best Western hotel in Zhangjiajie had good rooms but common areas and food were below standard. My advice here would be for travelers to spend the night up in Wulingyuan at either Crowne or Pullman and then go into town the next morning early.
- Tianmen Mountain was totally fogged over, so I got unlucky. We did the trip anyway which was fine and I saw the glass bridge. After seeing this, we stopped for a small lunch at a wonton stand (very good) and then we went to a lake for a quick visit. Then we traveled to Fenghuang. We checked into the hotel and then Derrick arranged a dinner at a local restaurant. This food was not great to be honest, it was a bit low quality but this was the only miss. I was able to walk around the town and enjoy the scenery.
- The hostel I chose- Yunji Inn- was very nice with great views and comfortable beds and showers. Just to note cleanliness in the corners was not great so some would be turned off by this, but I didn’t mind honestly.
- After a morning to myself , which I appreciated, Derrick toured me around the town and then we headed back to ZJJ. As we got back, Derrick chose a restaurant with a view of Tianmen from a distance, which was clearly visible- much appreciated as he was thinking of me, and the food was good. Then he dropped me at the airport.
3. Are you willing to recommend our service to your people who also have an interest to visit China?
Yes, also for those within China
general opinion on us?
Very professional, well organized and flexible. This is the 2nd trip I’ve taken with you and both were successful.
5. Do you have any suggestions on improving our services?
- Guides – keep them , they are great.
- Itinerary- looks good overall, you may be able to add more villages or sights to the Huangshan/villages tour as there is enough time in the schedule. Beef up the Jingdezhen afternoon itinerary with clear visits to galleries for shopping.
- Transportation- Drivers all good except for the short trip drivers in ZJJ, train trips were well arranged.
- Hotels- As mentioned, smaller atmospheric stays like Pig’s Inn or Yunji Inn would be preferred. I think you can offer two choices to visitors- either standard international hotel or rustic stays and they can decide. In Wulingyuan, switch to Pullman or Crowne Plaza and avoid Santo Domingo, and then consider to stay there before Tianmen as the Best Western is a little beat down. Continue with the hotel in Jingdezhen, that was perfect.
6. Can we use your comments of our service, the photos or other images that you took on the tour for our websites, brochures, marketing and publicity? If yes, could you please send us some of your photos by E-mail?
Yes, this is fine. I can forward some images on wechat – this will be easier. Let me know if this is ok- just ping me- and also let me know what you might like pictures of – as I have them from all places.
7. If you had a nice tour experience, may I know whether you could write us a review on Trip Advisor? It’s very important to our company and my own career! If so, please let me know and I will send you the our homepage link on Trip Advisor.
I will try to do so when I have time.
Thank you very much, it’s very nice. the nature here is breathtaking, we just came back from cycling, wonderful
everything went perfect again, thanks, and you provided perfect weather as well
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
Xiamen / Nanjing / Yongding / Xiamen
Xiamen / Nanjing / Yongding / Xiamen
Xiamen / Nanjing Tulou / Xiamen / Wuyishan
No documents found.
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from north east to south west”1420+ Reviews