[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
Beijing and Xian together had been ancient capitals of China for more than 2,000 years with rich imperial history, traditions and architecture combining with modern skylines and alive cultural styles. They are two cities of World Heritage Sites - Forbidden City, Great Wall, and Terracotta Warriors. Visit these two ancient hearts plus a cozy high speed train experience, you will not only explore the long history of China, but also be amazed by the high-tech trains, discovering how the time-honored country is like in recent days.
Day 1 Beijing ArrivalAirport or railway station pick up and check in hotel.
Ni Hao! welcome to Beijing, the iconic city and capital of China!
You will be met by our local tour guide at the arrival hall of Beijing Airport and escorted to your downtown hotel by a private comfortable vehicle. The rest of the day is your own to relax. If you want to explore nearby areas, feel free to get some practical suggestions from your tour guide.
Arrival Ideals: At present, there are many international and domestic flights to Beijing. Besides, you can take a high speed train to this capital city from Shanghai (5-6 hrs), Xian (5.5 hrs), Guangzhou (8-9.5 hrs), etc.
- Modern Face of Beijing
Day 2 Beijing (B, L)Tday's highlights: Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Summer Palace
After breakfast, start to explore the historical face of Beijing with a brief visit to Tiananmen Square, now the largest city plaza in the world. Tiananmen Gate on the northern side of the square was the site where Chairman Mao announced the establishment of the People's Republic of China.
Stepping into the Tiananmen, you will see one of the world’s five most important palaces – the Forbidden City, a huge palace complex of more than 9,000 rooms where 24 emperors of the Ming and Qing Dynasties lived. Pass through various doorways in this magnificent structure to admire the beautiful and well preserved buildings decorated with yellow-glazed tile roofs, white marble bases and splendid colorful paintings. After Forbidden City exploration, take a short visit to Jingshan Park where you can get a nice shot of one watchtower of Forbidden City and take a panoramic view of Forbidden City.
After lunch, drive to the outskirts of Beijing to spend an enjoyable time in the Summer Palace, the largest and best-preserved royal garden in China. Stroll around ancient pavilions, mansions, temples, bridges and corridors while feasting your eyes on the vast lotus in Kunming Lake and the colorful paintings in the Long Corridor.
Optional activities: 1) You can watch a wonderful Kungfu Show in the Red Theater (Hong Ju Chang) which usually starts at 19:30; 2) Enjoy the classic Chinese art performance of Beijing Opera at Liyuan Theater between 19:30-21:00.
- Tiananmen Square Family Tour
- the Forbidden City Overall View
- Take a Break at the Lakeside in Summer Palace
Day 3 Beijing (B, L)Today's highlights: Mutianyu Great Wall, Sacred Way, Bird’s Nest and Water Cube
After breakfast, drive about 70km to witness one of the Seven Wonders of the World - the Great Wall. Visit the Mutianyu, a less crowded yet well-preserved segment of the Great Wall built in the Ming Dynasty. It will more than live up to all of your expectations! This great wall, linking Gubeikou in the east and Juyongguan in the west, was served as the vital military strategic point in the ancient time. Moreover, Mutianyu section is the “longest great wall in China” so far and since protection work is well done here, tourists can now see its original appearance and enjoy the real ancient culture of great wall. Also, spectacular natural scenery in Mutianyu Great Wall always impresses visitors here for its abundant vegetation. You’ll take a cable car to ascend the Great Wall, then hike the most beautiful and interesting part of Mutianyu. It's a wonderful experience to climb up its rising towers to enjoy scenic views and take brag-worthy photos of the wall wriggling along mountain ridges. After the exciting time, descend Mutianyu Great Wall by cable car. (Note: If energy permits, you can hike up or down which takes about 40 minutes to climb steps. Please tell your likes to your travel consultant.)
Continue your trip to Sacred Way, a 7-kilometer-long passage leading to the Imperial Tombs of 13 Emperors of Ming Dynasty. The Emperor, known as the Son of the Heaven, who came from Heaven to his country through the Sacred Way, also would return to Heaven through this road. Take a walk through the largest archway in China and Great Palace Gate and you’ll see the magnificent stone guard of 12 sets of mythical animals and 12 officials. Then drive back to Beijing city and take a short stop at the Beijing Olympic Village to view its famous Bird’s Nest and Water Cube from the outside.
Optional activity: 1) Enjoy an exciting and safe toboggan ride (about 2~3mins) down Mutianyu Great Wall; 2) After the whole day’s tour, treat yourself a great dinner to taste the famous Peking Roasted Duck at Quanjude.
- Harmony families hiking on the Great Wall
- Sacred Way: the road leading to Ming Tombs
- Bird's Nest
Day 4 Beijing & High Speed Train to Xian (B)Today's highlights: Temple of Heaven, Beijing Hutongs, High Speed Train to Xian
After breakfast, drive to the imperial site of the Temple of Heaven. Originally a site used to pay homage to Heaven and pray for good harvests, it is now a bustling place where locals take part in traditional activities such as Tai Chi, dancing, kite flying, water calligraphy, and others.
Then get back to the central city to hop on a rickshaw to experience the Beijing Hutongs - small alleys made by neighboring quadrangle dwellings. Shuttle among different Hutongs to get a feel of the old Beijing life style, visit various antique shops and small boutiques, and truly feel the historical changes of Beijing, also pay a visit to a local family's home in the traditional Hutongs.
Your Beijing tour is now about to end. Your tour guide will see you off at the Beijing West Railway Station for a high speed train trip to Xian (about 5 hours). You will be picked up by your tour guide at Xian North Railway Station and escorted to your hotel in Xian. The rest of the day is on your own to explore this ancient capital of China.
- Taking a leisure rickshaw in Beijing Hutongs
- Fantastic View in Temple of Heaven
Day 5 Xian (B, L)Today's highlights: Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Ancient City Wall, Muslim Quarter
After breakfast, drive about 40 km to discover one of the greatest man-made wonders in the world – the Terracotta Warriors and Horses, built by the first emperor of China Qin Shihuang to protect him in his afterlife. Over 8,000 life-size warriors, horses and chariots, buried in 3 pits for more than 2,000 years until uncovered by a local farmer in 1974, form an ancient military army with complete battle units of infantry, cavalry, etc. Standing in front of these figures, one can’t help being amazed not only by the ambition of Emperor Qin Shihuang but also by the fabulous artistic skills of ancient Chinese artisans.
After lunch, return to Xian take a wonderful stroll on the Ancient City Wall, the largest and best-preserved ancient city wall in China. Enjoy panoramic views of modern Xian while you leisurely examine this well-maintained city wall which is 12 meters high and 18 meters wide with a total circuit of nearly 14 kilometers. Leave the City Wall, then go to wander leisurely around bustling and lively Muslim Quarter, a place where you can try different local snacks and explore Muslim culture. Don't miss the Great Mosque of Xian which is a fusion of Chinese culture and Islamic culture, a sacred religious site with huge ancient architectural complex, also a surprisingly quiet land away from the bustling Muslim streets.
Optional activities: 1) Take a relaxing cycling on the Ancient City Wall; 2) Enjoy a wonderful Tang Palace Dance Show (usually from 8pm to 9pm) after a hearty dumpling dinner at a local restaurant.
- World Famous Terracotta Warriors in Ancient Capital Xian
- Our guests biking on the Ancient City Wall
- Visit Muslim Quarter to Enjoy Some Snacks
- Great Mosque, a fusion of Chinese culture and Islamic culture
Day 6 Xian Departure (B)Today's highlights: Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Shaanxi History Museum
After breakfast, head to Da Cien Temple, a famous Buddhist sutra translation site during the Tang Dynasty. Big Wild Goose Pagoda is the most famous building in the temple. The pagoda, rising to a height of 64.5 meters, was built by the famous Buddhist master Xuanzang to preserve classic scriptures he bought back from India during the early Tang Dynasty. Xuanzang was the prototype character for Tang Seng in the famous Chinese novel “Journey to the West”. (Note: It costs an extra 30 RMB if you want to climb up the Big Wild Goose Pagoda) After (or before) visiting the Giant Wild Goose Pagoda, you will be provided a free experience of trying on the Hanfu which is the solemn costume of the emperors and their families, the ministers and the noble in the ancient dynasties of China. Seize this rare opportunity to take some photos to record this unique memory!
Next is an educational visit to the Shaanxi History Museum where you can ramble in the modern exhibition halls to appreciate historic relics such as porcelains, paintings, and currencies dating from the Zhou to the Tang dynastic periods (1100BC to 907 AD).
The rest of today is free until you get escorted to catch your flight/train to next destination.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda
- Shaanxi History Museum
1. This price is for one person, based on a group of 2 adults sharing one standard double-bed room in 4-star hotel and traveling with our private tour in low seasons.
2. This price is subject to change according your traveling season, group size, hotel class, change of activities in your itinerary and possible fluctuation of currency exchange rate. If you want a lower price, you can get more people to join you, or use economy class hotels.
3. This price is only valid to March 31, 2021.
4. Reference exchange rate of USD 1= RMB 6.95. The final quote is based on current exchange rate. It may change according to the currency fluctuation, while the RMB quotation will be remained the same.
Tour guide Selina was really great, she was enthusiastic and friendly. Very knowledgable about HuangShan. Car was spacious, but we had to change vans frequently.
Hotel was okay, a little small on the mountain, but overall not bad. Understandable that it’s small. It was a lot of hard work for the people to bring hotels things up to the mountain.
We would suggest to add 宏村 to schedules next time. We thought it was really nice.
We were lucky because weather is nice. Restaurants Selina brought us to were all good. A lot of stairs on the mountains, but great trip overall.
Good evening Wonder!
The trip to Chongqing were great. The driver was good and the car clean and tidy. Perfect. Diana was also very good. Knowledgeable and willing to adapt to my wishes or needs. Very well experienced.
For further trip around China I will use your services for sure.
Hello! The trip was wonderful, both our Mr. Li and Cindy were very nice and welcoming.
1. Is your travel consultant of our company fast enough to answer your E-mail and patient enough to answer your questions?
Yes, everything was taken care of promptly, and Johnson was very flexible to meet my needs as I looked to modify plans. I appreciate the great job he did in making this a successful trip.
2. How do you comment your tour arrangements?
- Tour guide Peter was excellent, very enthusiastic and informative. He also helped to get all of my train tickets for the trip which was very helpful.
- Driver very good- no issues.
- Hotel was very good- new , modern hotel, with good facilities and very good breakfast. Location in the entertainment district was perfect for walking around at night. Highly recommend to keep this one.
- Tour arrangements were good. Morning touring the kilns and the museum was nice to see. The afternoon was perhaps a bit less organized without specific stops- would have been better to see specific galleries where shopping could be done, or going to the factory area downtown (which we eventually did because I asked to do so).
- Lunch was very good- good to go to an authentic local place for food.
- Transition to Huangshan was smooth , without issue.
- Tour guide Xia (Jerry) was excellent, very strategic in his approach to ensure a great experience.
- Driver was very good- no issues.
- Huangshan International Hotel was ok- I would say average, could be better. Location was good near the downtown. Breakfast was not very good – pretty low quality.
- Trip to Huangshan was well handled by Jerry, getting to the top of the mountain in reasonable time despite the crowds and he led me well around the mountain. We covered what I wanted to see- he encouraged us to see everything on day 1 with the weather getting worse – a very good call.
- Xihai Hotel had very nice rooms and a nice bar area. The only downside is there is only a buffet for dinner and it is not very good, but guess we had little choice. I did not eat breakfast there.
- Trip to Hongcun and Bishan the next day was very good. We left Huangshan early as the mountain was fogged over. Hongcun was crazy busy due to holidays but we saw the main sights, and then I had some time to walk around. I felt a little rushed with the schedule but still saw enough. Lunch was ok, not great. Bishan was very nice, with a chance to bike around the village areas and quiet. Xia guided me around the town on bike and then left me to bike on my own.
- Accommodation in Bishan was excellent- Pig’s Inn is perfect, and these type of atmospheric farm stays are much preferred by me and would be for other travelers. The dinner and breakfast were probably the best food I had on the trip, and having the Dog’s Bistro around the corner for drinks was an ideal setup.
- The next day was good as well. As we were running ahead on the agenda, we added Nanping, which was a quiet beautiful village to walk around, and then we went to Xidi, which was really nice and large. We spent a full morning in these two villages and then stopped for lunch outside Xidi. Lunch was ok- better than the day before, but not exceptional. Then we stopped in the Old Street in Huangshan to buy some Shaobing, and then we finished the day a little early at 230 pm. I feel maybe we could have added one more thing to see, but this was fine.
Train trip to Zhangjiajie
- No issues, very smooth transition in Changsha. Driver moved me across the city efficiently.
- Tour guide Derrick was very good, he had a few moments where we was a bit pessimistic about the weather and crowds, but he managed the situation professionally and did a great job despite the bad weather.
- Our main driver was very good, he handled everything well. The drivers we had for short pickups were less reliable- the one picking me up to go to Tianmen Mountain was late, and generally they were less friendly and reliable, requiring effort by Derrick to fix.
- Hotel (Santo Domingo) was below standard and I would strongly advise you to change to Crowne Plaza or Pullman which are much more appropriate hotels for international travelers. The breakfast looked very questionable in quality so I went to Starbucks.
- The tour to the glass bridge was very good and I got to see everything, despite not great weather. Then, we went to Zhangjiajie where weather was not great at the top but Derrick found good trails on the bottom where we could see some scenery. We then went to late lunch/early dinner which was an excellent restaurant with very good food.
- The next day at Avatar mountain was good for weather – Derrick timed the visit to be a bit later to ensure we would see something at the best part of the day. We missed out the 3rd viewpoint due to fog, but again, he found another trail for us to hike at the bottom. Again we went to a late lunch/early dinner at a very good restaurant.
- The Best Western hotel in Zhangjiajie had good rooms but common areas and food were below standard. My advice here would be for travelers to spend the night up in Wulingyuan at either Crowne or Pullman and then go into town the next morning early.
- Tianmen Mountain was totally fogged over, so I got unlucky. We did the trip anyway which was fine and I saw the glass bridge. After seeing this, we stopped for a small lunch at a wonton stand (very good) and then we went to a lake for a quick visit. Then we traveled to Fenghuang. We checked into the hotel and then Derrick arranged a dinner at a local restaurant. This food was not great to be honest, it was a bit low quality but this was the only miss. I was able to walk around the town and enjoy the scenery.
- The hostel I chose- Yunji Inn- was very nice with great views and comfortable beds and showers. Just to note cleanliness in the corners was not great so some would be turned off by this, but I didn’t mind honestly.
- After a morning to myself , which I appreciated, Derrick toured me around the town and then we headed back to ZJJ. As we got back, Derrick chose a restaurant with a view of Tianmen from a distance, which was clearly visible- much appreciated as he was thinking of me, and the food was good. Then he dropped me at the airport.
3. Are you willing to recommend our service to your people who also have an interest to visit China?
Yes, also for those within China
general opinion on us?
Very professional, well organized and flexible. This is the 2nd trip I’ve taken with you and both were successful.
5. Do you have any suggestions on improving our services?
- Guides – keep them , they are great.
- Itinerary- looks good overall, you may be able to add more villages or sights to the Huangshan/villages tour as there is enough time in the schedule. Beef up the Jingdezhen afternoon itinerary with clear visits to galleries for shopping.
- Transportation- Drivers all good except for the short trip drivers in ZJJ, train trips were well arranged.
- Hotels- As mentioned, smaller atmospheric stays like Pig’s Inn or Yunji Inn would be preferred. I think you can offer two choices to visitors- either standard international hotel or rustic stays and they can decide. In Wulingyuan, switch to Pullman or Crowne Plaza and avoid Santo Domingo, and then consider to stay there before Tianmen as the Best Western is a little beat down. Continue with the hotel in Jingdezhen, that was perfect.
6. Can we use your comments of our service, the photos or other images that you took on the tour for our websites, brochures, marketing and publicity? If yes, could you please send us some of your photos by E-mail?
Yes, this is fine. I can forward some images on wechat – this will be easier. Let me know if this is ok- just ping me- and also let me know what you might like pictures of – as I have them from all places.
7. If you had a nice tour experience, may I know whether you could write us a review on Trip Advisor? It’s very important to our company and my own career! If so, please let me know and I will send you the our homepage link on Trip Advisor.
I will try to do so when I have time.
Thank you very much, it’s very nice. the nature here is breathtaking, we just came back from cycling, wonderful
everything went perfect again, thanks, and you provided perfect weather as well
"Highest Standards of Quality and Honesty" is the core value of each specialized team at China Discovery.
Eveyone in our company is working hard for only one goal, which is to ensure the highest level of service, luxury, and attention to detail from the minute you begin planning your trip, to the day you return home.
Our travel consultants are professional, experienced and responsible, helping you from the very beginning to the end of your China trip!
After sending us an inquiry, one of our travel consultants will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hrs. In the next few days, he/she will be working closely with you to formulate a customized tour plan, as well as providing professional suggestions based on your travel interests, time, and budget.
Beside, he/she will keep in contact with you during your entire tour in China, continually checking if everything is going well as planned.
We're working at Chengdu Bamboo International Tours, local based in Chengdu.
Our local guide in every destination is not only very friendly, enthusiastic but also very informative and knowledgeable.
Once you arrive in the destination, the patient and punctual guides will pick you up and take you to get under skin of the city at your own pace. By in-depth discovery and explanation, they’ll show you more about the history, culture, customs and authentic local life. Throughout the journey, they're not only expert guides who take care of all the details but also fellow travelers who are dedicated to help you explore in comfort and style.
Our guides are passionate about what they do, and it shows all the way!
Using our private transfer service makes you comfortable, relaxed and worry free all the way!
Our private service includes licensed drivers with many years’ driving experience and air-conditioned, non-smoking, clean and well-maintained cars/vans. Drivers are local, polite, friendly and helpful, taking you to your tourist sites, hotels, airport/train stations in safety. All kinds of vehicle are offered, and yours depends on the size of your group. Usually, we offer sedan cars, SUVs, business vans (MPV) and different types of buses, all with extra space for your luggage.
Our private transfer service guarantees you the highest comfort!
In each destination, you’ll enjoy a comfortable stay in a great location!
The hotels we choose are based on star rating, great locations, well-equipped facilities, cozy bed, high quality service and guests’ feedbacks. Choices are a lot ranging from luxury 5 star, comfortable 4 star to budget 3 star. You could decide where to stay to best suit for your budget and likes. Generally, the hotels have both Western and Chinese breakfast with a wide choices.
If you have already got an ideal hotel, please feel free to tell our travel consultants and they'll book the hotel for you.
Have good sleep in our well-selected hotels in all the destinations of China.
We can satisfy all the dietary requirements no matter you want Chinese local food, western food, vegetarian food or muslin food.
The restaurants we will take you for lunch or dinner are all designated tourist restaurants approved by local tourist administration bureau. They have very good sanitary conditions and the food is prepared fresh and clean.
There will be some meals excluded in your itinerary as you like, and your private guide will be delighted to give you some suggestions and take you to the local restaurants to taste like Beijing Roast Duck, Xian Dumpling Dinner, Sichuan Hotpot, etc., if you are interested in local food tasting.
All the dining options will satisfy your stomach!
Below are some important things to know regarding of train travel tips, traveling documents, hotels and food, weather, booking guide. Traveling with China Discovery, you only need to focus on enjoying your holiday time. We will take care of all the details. Our travel consultants are always ready to help you if have any questions about the trip.
Beijing / Xian / Shanghai
Beijing / Xian
Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangshuo / Shanghai
[Important] Travel News for Expats: China travel is reopening now! Travel with China Discovery and learn about where to visit & requirements for each destination! Read Details >
“Very good experience”
“WONDERFUL 25 DAYS IN CHINA - PRIVATE TOUR”
“Awesome China tour from north east to south west”1420+ Reviews