When planning a trip to China, choosing the right destinations will ensure you a better travel experience in a way. So, what’s the best time for a China tour? What are the weather like in China during spring, summer, autumn and winter? What are the best places to enjoy seasonality in China? Well, the answer varies for different travelers. Most regions in China own distinct four seasons: warm spring, hot summer, cool autumn and cold winter. Though each season presents different scenery, generally, months from April to October are the peak seasons for most parts of China while summer and winter are less choices. So, it’s very important to select a suitable time to catch the most beautiful scenery and the best travel experience. For example, Tibet are more recommended for a visit between summer and autumn, for spring is quite windy, dry and winter is freezing cold with heavy snows.
Please rest at ease, China Discovery here list the most recommended destinations in China in different seasons to help you get the best seasonal landscape and trip experience in China. Both climate characters and highlighting views have been fully considered. Check your schedule first and then find your ideal destinations from below!
On the vast territory of China, there are some cities you can visit all year round. Big modern metropolis cities, such as Beijing, Xian, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Chengdu are the hottest representatives. Because their best highlights are mostly cultural landscape less affected by weather, and the cities all have developed tourism reception capacity and convenient transportation networks. Hence, you can travel to the above destinations at any time you want. If you travel with us, you can enjoy an all -inclusive tour packages covering useful trip planning guide, well-organized itinerary, local friendly tour guide and efficient private transfer and excellent arrangements of hotels, meals and other local activities. Contact us to get your China vacation started!
Top China Tour Packages:
As the most populous country in the world, China faces super huge crowds far beyond your expectation during the following four long public holidays. Better avoid these times, or plan your trip under our help as early as possible if necessary since the hotel rates are much higher, all spots are full of people.
● Labor Day is the most important minor vacation in the first half year for Chinese people. It usually starts from May 1 and lasts 3-5 days. Short-distance travel and side trips are most popular at this time. The average tourist flow amounts to over 100 million each year.
● Summer holiday, specifically from July to August, is China’s summer carnival when the main forces, family and students travelers takes up one fifth of the yearly total traffic.
● National Day holiday from October 1 is the famous Golden Week for tourism in China. Nearly all attractions in China are crowded with tourists. If traveling in China during this period, you will face very high travel cost, shortage of good hotels and flight/train tickets, head-scratching traffic jams on highways, etc.
● Chinese New Year (Spring Festival) is the most important traditional festival in China. For the year-end family reunion, Chunyun - the Spring Festival Travel Season in China has become the greatest migration in human history, with an striking traffic record of over 3 billions. Public transport like trains, bus are packed full, and many shops, grocery stores, restaurant will closed during this holiday.
Spring is a lovely season with warm sunshine, eye-pleasing flower blossoms, refreshing green leaves and sweet air. All things wake up in this season, including your desire for a delightful spring holiday. Major top destinations and cities in southern China are the most popular places for a spring vacation, for you can enjoy a pleasant weather as well as appreciate colorful flora beauty in ancient gardens, villages and vast fields. Many enjoyable festivals are also held so that you can join to experience seasonal charm and ethnic culture. Better dress warm in early March and wear layered clothes since there is temperature variation.
Summer is hot in most destinations in China with the highest daytime temperature usually keeps above 30°C. But some destinations in the north, northwest and southeast China, and high mountains and grassland have lower temperatures, clearly blue sky and wondrous natural sights, thus rightly get their best tourist season. Zhangjiajie, Mount Emei, Inner Mongolia, Qinghai, Guizhou rank the top on the summer resort list. If possible, avoid the “Four Furnaces” - Wuhan, Chongqing, Nanchang and Nanjing and daytime outdoor activities. Dress breathable clothing, pay attention to weather forecast and prepare umbrellas, etc.
Recommended China Summer Tours: ☛ 6 Days Hexi Corridor Discovery Tour | ☛ 5 Days Zhangjiajie & Fenghuang Ancient Town Tour
Autumn is a harvest season and a really golden season for travelling around China. In autumn, the temperature is moderately cool, air is crisp with high visibility, more sunny days, less rainfalls. The multicoloured nature, especially the golden scenery of Jiuzhaigou, Daocheng Yading, Shangri-La, Kanas (Xinjiang), Huangshan Mountain are the most tempting photography sites for travelers (Top Autumn Destintions). Most destinations in China are in their beautiful time with different colors. All that makes autumn a peak tourist season. Plan a trip early under the help of a reliable travel agency like China Discovery.
Most places of China are really cold, harsh and dry during winter, resulting in a lower desire for traveling. However, it’s a perfect time to witness natural miracles, enjoy various winter sports and unusual ice and snow fun in northern China’s Harbin and high-elevated mountains like Huangshan Mountain. And Southern China offers a variety of warm places to escape the biting coldness, including Yunnan, Sanya. (Best Winter Destinations) If you visit China during Chinese New Year, you can join grand cultural celebrations in joyful atmosphere. A lower cost is another advantage. Always keep warm in cold places.
Recommended China Winter Tours: ☛ 5 Days Charming Harbin & China Snow Town Winter Tour | ☛ 6 Days Yunnan Essence Tour
China's weather features a distinct continental monsoon climate, characterized by cold winter and hot summer in general. As the rich China climate, the weather differs from region to region by different Temperature Zones, according to the diverse landforms. Spring and autumn are the two best seasons to explore China natural beauty with comfortable weather.
Travel China with China Discovery
To help you enjoy a worry-free trip to China, we highly recommend you travel with us China Discovery. Our experienced travel expert will help you arrange your trip sincerely. Our local drivers will escort you to the attractions with comfortable car directly with speed and safety. Our English-speaking tour guide will accompany you all the way, show you the best highlights. Whether you have planned places to go or have no idea, your China tour can be tailor-made according to your group size, time, physical condition, plan, interest, budget, etc. Please feel free to contact us if you need any help!
We are happy to answer your questions.
1. Our travel consultant, Vivien, was outstanding and exceeded our expectations. Due to covid travel restrictions, our trip had to be changed and postponed several times but Vivien dealt with this efficiently and respectfully despite at times having to change plans at the last minute. Without Vivien, we would have cancelled our wonderful trip. Every request we made was met and everything was highly organized and communicated with us downtown to the finest detail. The guides and drivers arranged were excellent and we felt relaxed throughout our trip.Vivien is a credit to the company and an exemplary representative.
2. Our tour guides had excellent English and were very knowledgeable. Especially appreciated was their patience and flexibility as I have a bone disease and often struggle to walk. They let me rest without complaint and went above and beyond in all regards even to Yenny ordering us some sesame rice balls to be delivered to the hotel because I had enjoyed them so much at lunch and Ellen taking us for hotpot for lunch at our request. Nothing was too much trouble.
3. We are leaving China this year and despite not usually using a travel agent when we travel, we hope to return to China in the future and will use China Discovery and hopefully Vivien without a doubt.
Vivien, words cannot express how grateful we are for everything you have done for us to ensure we managed a break away. Personally, we needed a holiday and you provided us with the most amazing trip.
Even though we have never met you and do not even know what you look like, you will hold a place in our hearts forever. You have truly been a blessing and we are eternally grateful for your patience, kind and caring attitude and professionalism throughout the last year.
Thank you so much.
I have attached some photos and you can use these if they are any good as well as our recommendations.
Val and Steve Hart
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip