Passport is a kind of document certifying identity and nationality for the international travel. Usually issued by a country's government, it contains the holder's name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other identifying information.

There are different kinds of passports attesting to status, such as Diplomatic Passport, Official Passport. For most common tourists, an Ordinary Passport is needed for you to travel abroad, like China. Or if you travel with family in most times, you can apply the Family Passport in your country.

 US Passport

Passport Application

Apply for your passport several months before your trip. The applying procedure takes less time and easy to handle, however, after the application, you may wait for a couple of weeks (vary in different countries) to get your passport with receipt. Also you can pay extra money to speed your passport printed.

First-time Passport Application

In most countries, passport applying is simply (in some areas, making an appointment for applying is needed, such as America). You go to the local government or some other organizations which offer this service (like the local post office in USA) and get an application form to complete it with accurate information about the holder, including the full name, date of birth, and gender etc. Meanwhile you should take some money and bring related materials, such as ID, recent photo or you may take one on-site. Then you can go home and get your passport here for a certain time, like 4-8 weeks in US.

Note: if you travel with kids aboard, you may check more details about the child or infant passports application in your country.

Passport Issue

Passport Renewal/New Passport Application

With the limited validity of 5-10 years usually, passport is need to renew or apply new one. Many countries issue only one passport to each national. When passport holders apply for the passport renewal, the old passport is required to surrender for invalidation. While in some circumstances, the expired passport is not required to be surrendered or invalidated, if it contains an unexpired visa, for instance.

The passport renewal in some countries has some specific rules of age and length of expired date, like America. The U.S. citizens with the age of 18+, have a valid passport in their possession, can enjoy the right to renew their passport. However, if your passport has expired more than 5 years ago you fall into the category of a New Passport Application.

For passports of child and infant (age no more than 18), have the expiration for 5 years and can’t be renewed and only for applying a new one.

Infant Passport Inside

Travel China with Passport

A passport with minimum of six month validity and at least two blank pages is required for passengers traveling to China, including Hong Kong, Macau and China mainland. And in most cities, you have to visit together with Visa. Even the Tibet Travel Permit is additional needed for you to travel Tibet.

Visit China with Passport Only (visa-free)

Under the one country, two systems policy, Hong Kong and Macau, as the two special zones of China, have the visa-free policy for citizens of most countries, including America, Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, India, and most European countries. With the periods ranging from 7 to 180 days, the entry purpose is only for tourism or business-related activities. For further travel to China mainland, visa is needed.

If you travel the third country and make a short stop in China, there are some 72-hour visa free cities for you to make a short trip of China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Guilin, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Kunming, Shenyang, Dalian, Harbin, Xiamen, etc.

For the National of Singapore, Japan and Brunei, you can enjoy the visa-free through China ports open to foreigners for no less than 15 days, on the purpose of tourism, business-related activities or visiting friends and relatives, only.

 72-hour Visa Free China City Map Click to enlarge the 72-hour Visa Free China City Map

Visit China with Mainland Travel Permit (equate to passport)

Hong Kong and Macau, as the above mentioned, still keep their own immigration control systems in China, so traveling to mainland is technically not international and passport is not used to travel between Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China, instead using other documents, such as the Mainland Travel Permit. Therefore, if you are the citizen of those regions, please apply the permit is enough for you to visit mainland cities.

Mainland Travel Permit

Passport used in China

Passport is not only used for your entry of China, but also frequently used in your tour itineraries in China and other travel-related services. You original passport will be used for reservation of your national flights, train tickets, cruise tickets and for hotel booking, the copy one is enough. Before taking Yangtze River Cruise, you may show your original passport to get aboard. Also traveling to Tibet regions, you will be asked to show your passport frequently in different attractions. Therefore, please take care of your passport well during your China Travel.

Note: for multiple nationalities tourists, your identity in whole China Travel should stay the same with your nationality of entering China.

Recommended Tours

Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.

Witness the countless Terracotta Warriors
8 Days Best of China Tour

Beijing / Xian / Shanghai

Relaxing Yangtze River Cruise
13 Days Classic China Tour with Yangtze Cruise

Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangshuo / Guilin / Chongqing / Yangtze Cruise / Yichang / Shanghai

Tibet Potala Palace Visit
15 Days China Tour with Tibet Discovery & Panda Visit

Shanghai / Guilin / Yangshuo / Guilin / Chengdu / Lhasa / Xian / Beijing

Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.

Customize a Trip

Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests

  • Your Question:
  • Your Name:
  • Your Email:
  • Submit