- Reviewed on January 22, 2019
- Tour Customized by: Catherine
We requested for a three-city itinerary across Xiamen, Shantou and Wuyishan.
How China Discovery works is that you contract with them and they proceed to sub-contract with other tour guides in the various cities if they do not have a presence there. As such, a tour guide in the first city may not have clarity on what your itinerary might be for another city.
First up: the service from China Discovery.
1. Very prompt and responsive throughout, even during the trip itself. If you have WeChat I suggest getting the contact of the travel agent serving you, so that you may contact him/her during your trip in case you run into any difficulties.
2. Very pleasant and accommodating. I made several changes and Catherine (my travel agent) was quick to come back with a revised itinerary and quote. Not that I encourage being a difficult customer!
3. Special mention to Catherine for being contactable over WeChat all the way through my trip. It's exactly what I needed for peace of mind bringing my family of 9 around.
Secondly, the tour guides.
Xiamen: Tom Tang, although he was only in charge of shuttling us back and forth from the airport and hotel, we found our conversations with him to be incredibly informative. A man knowledgeable on Xiamen and Chinese culture and history. Excellent English.
Shantou: Xiao Qiang, great recommendations for food, very passionate about this category. According to him, many HKers come over from HK for gourmet trips - they see Shantou as a dining destination. We had amazing braised goose and a fantastic, affordable seafood dinner on the last night.
Wuyishan: Jack, very personable and eager to please. Pretty funny too and chatty. His family owns a tea plantation, so we joked that he should bring us some tea leaves. On the last day, he kindly gifted us with two boxes of tea leaves.
We tipped rather generously, approximately 700-900 for each guide (aside from Tom) for 2-3 days. But we had 9 people so we thought that amount was reasonable.
Would definitely recommend China Discovery for their service and quality tour guides.
Most Valuable Reviews Our Customers listed on TripAdvisor
- Best Tour Ever Organized by Wendy Dan.
- 69-day Private Tour to Discover a lot of China
- 2 Week Family Vacation in China
- Xian, Terracotta Warriors, Using High Speed Train
- Fantastic 2 Weeks around China
- Mt. Huangshan and Anhui Villages 3 Day Tour
- Private Family Tour of Beijing, Sichuan and Xian
- Solo Tour (Beijing/Xian/Yunnan/Yangtze/Beijing)
More City Reviews from Our Customers
- All Beijing Travel Reviews
- All Xian Travel Reviews
- All Shanghai Travel Reviews
- All Guilin Travel Reviews
- All Chengdu Travel Reviews
- All Zhangjiajie Travel Reviews
- All Yunnan Travel Reviews
- All Huangshan Travel Reviews
- All Yangtze River Travel Reviews
- All Tibet Travel Reviews
- All Silk Road Travel Reviews
- All Shanxi Travel Reviews
Amazing Travel Stories
Besides the origin feedback telling their satisfaction about their travel, some customers also nicely shared their travel stories in details. You can read their stories and seek for more inspiration.
“Only You” - Couple’s Resounding 69 Days Private China Journey
Elie & Marie has successfully enjoyed their wonderful and romantic 10 week couple's private vacation and experienced a lot of interesting things in 32 destinations around vast China!
- Elie (Belgium)
- (69 Days) 2019.09.04~2019.11.11
- Beijing - Hohhot - Datong - Pingyao - Luoyang - Xian - Jiayuguan ... Chengdu - Yangtze - Zhangjiajie - Yunnan - Guilin... Hangzhou - Shanghai
North American English Teachers’ China Trips to Visit Their Students off Internet
We customized three big group China trips for tens of VIPKid English teachers and their family members to visit Xian, Shanghai, etc. from Beijing and meet their students off Internet in China in 2019!
- VIPKid Teachers (USA/Canada)
- (9-21 Days) 2019
- Beijing - Xian - Shanghai - Suzhou –Shanghai - Hangzhou - Huangshan... Yangtze Cruise...Chengdu - Beijing
Winston's Couple Tour to 9 Cities around China plus Yangtze Cruise
Winston and his wife have traveled to many world places during the past 21 years and experienced the best vacation this time to explore China's west and east, north and south parts!
- Winston (USA)
- (22 Days) 2019.05.17~2019.6.07
- Beijing - Xian - Lhasa - Chengdu - Guilin - Longsheng - Yangshuo - Chongqing - Yangtze River Cruise - Yichang - Shanghai - Suzhou - Beijing
Warm People, Warm the World - Annual Tibet Trip for Love Sharing
Jack and their partners would get back to Tibet from the distant USA every year, and until now, they’ve visited Tibet for 6 times. Every time, they had wonderful time enjoying the highlights of Tibet, and helped the blind, brought them hope of life and encouraged them.
- Jack (USA)
- (6 Times) 2013~2019
Rachel Grant’s Panda Volunteer Experience in Dujiangyan
The distinctive black and white animal is a national treasure in China and one of the rarest, most endangered bears in the world. A one-on-one encounter with a giant panda is a bucket list highlight and a must-do when you are in China. The time I spent witnessing such human dedication is truly eye-opening...
- Panda Volunteer Star: Ms. Rachel Grant (British)
- Chengdu - Dujiangyan
Returning Hometown to Regain Adopted Daughter's Confidence
Lawson's Family had an amazing family China tour with their two adopted daughters from China and touchingly helped their adopted ethnic little girl regain confidence.
- Lawson (UK)
- (19 Days) 2018.10.17~2018.11.04
- Shenzhen - Xiamen - Yongding - Guangzhou - ... - Yangshuo - Guilin - Chengdu - Hangzhou - Shanghai - Suzhou - Shanghai