Ethnic Groups in China
China is vast country with large population. It is officially composed of 56 ethnic groups, 55 minorities and the dominant Han. Among them, Chinese Han is composed of 93% of the population. Hence, ethnic minorities (shaoshu minzu in Chinese) in China, with 7% population, are the non-Han Chinese population.
54 minorities ethnic groups (except Hui Minority) use spoken languages of their own and 23 minorities ethnic groups have their own written languages.
Chinese Han People
With a majority population about 93%, Han people can be found almost every part of China, but mainly in the middle and lower reaches of the Yellow River, Yangtze River and Pearl River and the Northeast Plain. Han people has its own spoken and written language, known as the Mandarin, which is commonly used throughout China. And also, Han people have their distinctive way of living.
55 Ethnic Groups in China
The 55 minorities ethnic groups are Achang, Bai, Bonan, Bouyei, Blang, Dai, Daur, Deang, Dong, Dongxiang, Dulong, Ewenki, Gaoshan, Gelao, Hani, Hezhe, Hui, Jing, Jingpo, Jinuo, Kazak, Kirgiz, Korean, Lahu, Li, Lisu, Luoba, Manchu, Maonan, Menba, Miao, Mongolian, Mulao, Naxi, Nu, Oroqen, Ozbek, Pumi, Qiang, Russian, Salar, She, Shui, Tajik, Tatar, Tibetan, Tu, Tujia, Uigur, Wa, Xibe, Yao, Yi, Yugur, Zhuang.
China Ethnic Groups
According to the population, the major ethnic groups are Zhuang, Uyghur, Hui, Manchu, Miao, Yi, Tujia, Tibetan, Mongol, Dong, Buyei, Yao, Bai, Korean, Hani, Li, Kazakh and Dai.
Dong Ethnic Group in Guizhou
The minorities of China mainly live in the vast areas of the west, southwest and northwest of China. You can see minorities scattered in Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Ningxia, Qinghai, Gansu, Sichuan, Hunan, Hubei and many other places. Need to mention here, Yunnan, the province with 25 ethnic minorities, is a great destination to explore different minorities like Yi minority, Bai minority, Naxi Minority, Hani minority, Dai minority etc.
China’s Autonomous Regions
China has five autonomous regions including Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, Tibet Autonomous Region, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region. In this five autonomous regions, travelers can explore many minorities and their life.
Zhuang Ethnic Group in Guangxi
Plan a China Tour with Diverse Ethnic Minorities?
Check the best-selling China ethnic minority tours, which covers the diverse ethnic groups in Yunnan, Guizhou, Guangxi, Tibet and Xinjiang etc. Remember, all can be customized to satisfy your needs at best price!
- 5 Days Kunming, Jianshui & Yuanyang Hani Minority Tour
- (Kunming / Yuanyang / Jianshui / Kunming)
- 8 Days Yunnan Diverse Minority Tour
- (Kunming / Dali / Lijiang / Shangri-La)
- 5 Days Guizhou Miao & Dong Minority Tour
- (Guiyang / Kaili / Congjiang / Zhaoxing / Congjiang)
- 5 Days Best Guilin Tour with Yangshuo & Longji Rice Terrace
- (Guilin / Longsheng / Guilin / Yangshuo / Guilin)
- 7 Days Lhasa Shigatse Gyantse Tour
- (Lhasa / Gyangtse / Shigatse)
- 8 Days Xinjiang Classic Tour with Uygur Visit
- (Urumqi / Turpan / Kashgar)
- 10 Days Yunnan & Guizhou Amazing Minorities Tour
- (Kunming / Dali / Lijiang / Guiyang / Kaili / Guiyang)
- 10 Days Guizhou & Guilin Discovery Tour
- (Guiyang / Kaili / Rongjiang / Zhaoxing / Sanjiang / Longsheng / Guilin / Yangshuo)
- China Ethnic Food & Drinks
- Famous Ethnic Minority Festivals in China
- Yunnan Minorities: Yi, Bai, Naxi & Hani
- Guizhou Minorities: Miao, Dong & Bouyei
- Guangxi Minorities: Zhuang & Yao
- Xinjiang Minorities: Uyghur
- Tibet Minorities: Tibetan
- China Ethnic Pictures & Photo Galleries
- China Ethnic Groups Maps
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 8 Days Best of China Tour (Flight/Bullet Train Covered)
Beijing / Xian / Shanghai
- 10 Days Classic China Tour from Beijing - First Touch of China
Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangshuo / Shanghai
- 11 Days Fabulous China Tour from Hong Kong
Hong Kong / Guilin / Yangshuo / Longsheng / Chengdu / Xian / Beijing
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: