China Visa Renewal and Extension: Requirements, Procedures & Fees
Notice on Latest Visa and Entry Policies for Foreigners Entering China - Updated on November 20, 2023:
1. China will gradually phase out the appointment system for visa applications. As of now, nearly 100 Chinese embassies and consulates abroad have implemented the "walk-in" system, and it is expected that all Chinese embassies and consulates abroad will have implemented the "walk-in" system by the end of this year.
2. Starting from 00:00 on November 1, 2023, individuals entering or exiting the country are exempt from filling out the "People's Republic of China Health Declaration Card for Entry/Exit."
3. Norway has become the 54th country whose passport holders can transit without visa up to 72/144 hours in China.
4. The 15-day visa-free entry policy for Singaporean citizens has been resumed.
5. Starting from August 30, 2023, individuals traveling to China will no longer be required to undergo pre-entry COVID-19 nucleic acid or antigen testing.
6. Make the following adjustments to the visa and entry policies for foreigners entering China, effective from 00:00 March 15, 2023 Beijing time:
1). The entry function of visas which were issued before March 28, 2020 and still valid will be restored.
2). Overseas visa offices will resume issuing various types of visas (including Tourist Visa) for foreigners to travel to China, with specific requirements detailed in the visa application guidelines of Chinese embassies or consulates.
3). Port visa offices will resume issuing various types of port visas for lawful purposes.
4). The policies of visa-free entry for Hainan, Shanghai International cruise arrival, Guangdong for Tourist group entry of foreigners from Hong Kong, Macau, and ASEAN tourist groups entering Guilin, Guangxi will be restored.
7. Attention on China Group Visa on Arrival in Nepal: needs minimum 4 applicants, and no maximum limit. All applicants from one list must all come to the Visa Center for application.
8. U.S. citizens holding multi-year multiple-entry visas issued before March 28, 2020, whose visas temporarily lost entry functionality between March 28, 2020, and March 14, 2023, due to the pandemic, are eligible to apply for compensation. Those who choose to apply for compensation will receive a free 3-year multiple-entry visa. Those who choose to waive the compensation can apply for a new 10-year multiple-entry visa at the regular fee.
China Discovery will keep focusing on the updates of the latest Chinese visa and entry policy! You can also call +86 010 12367 (Official telephone number of China National Immigration Administration) to check further information. Welcome to join in our Facebook Groups to catch up with the latest news!
Invitation letter is a vital document for Chinese visa application. If you travel with us, we will not only create a valuable tour for you, but also provide you an invitation letter if you request, which will help you obtain your visa successfully. Start customizing your tour in China now!
We are one of the few China travel agencies who have kept active and received lots of feedbacks and reviews during pandemic years
All visitors to China should know that, once a China Visa Application is submitted or processed, you can not change the visa type and the validity, unless you abolish the former application, and apply for a new one with adequate visa fees.
Your planned travel itinerary for China may change sometimes, so it’s essential to prepare yourselves beforehand and avoid any China Visa problems. If you adjust travel plan before departure, you can simply resubmit a new application to get a right Chinese Visa type or a longer duration of stay. If you already entered China, you may apply for China Visa Renewal, Reissuance and China Visa Extension from the Exit & Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau (PSB).
How to Get Your Chinese Visa Renewed
After entering China, foreigners should apply for a visa renewal at the Exit & Entry Administration Office of Public Security Bureau (at county level and above), if you meet one of these 4 circumstances: ① change the purpose of visiting and stay; ② issued a new passport (former passport will expire soon, or visa pages have been used up); ③ add companions after entry; ④ group tourists need to stay in China separately. If you fail to to renew your China Visa, and the former visa will become invalid, so you have to exit, leave China and go back home. Bear in mind that illegal stay would be punished.
When apply for renewing your China Visa, all foreign applicants have to submit the required documents, accept inquiry and follow the basic application processes. The authority will decide to issue you a new Chinese Visa within 7 days from the date of acceptance. Check the guide below to know how to prepare and get China Visa renewed.
Basic Requirements of China Visa Renewal:
● Your valid passport (or valid international travel documents) and Chinese Visa;
● A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form 《外国人签证证件申请表》;
You can directly fill in a paper form at the office of the local police station or PSB, or download a Word/PDF version from official website and complete it.
● A recent 2-inches photo which was taken in the last 6 months, a full faces, bareheaded photo;
● A completed Registration Form of Temporary Residence for Visitors 《外国人临时住宿登记表》;
● Other ducuments supporting your stay in China.
Required Supporting Materials include:
A. For Alteration of Purpose of Stay in China● Change to F Visa (for exchanges, visits, study tour) and M Visa (for commercial, trade activities): Business License Certificate of Registration with the comment letter about this visa reviewal from the inviter or reception organization. The letter should clearly shows the reason for visiting, and duration of stay. Valid registration proof is a must if the unit has not been recorded. Ordinary applicants can apply for zero/singe/double/multiple-entry China Visa (validity within 1 year and duration no more than 180 days.) High talents and and investors can apply for multiple Chinese Visa with a validity of within 5 years and stay period not exceeding 180 days.
● Change to X2 Visa (for short study in China not exceeding 180 days): opinion letter provided by educational and training institutions in China. The new validity of entry shall not exceed 1 year.
● Change to Q2 Visa (for visiting relatives who are Chinese Citizens, or foreigners holding Chinese Permanent Residence): Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate, or other certificate of kinship issued by foreign authority or notarial institutions and attested by Chinese Embassy, with the identity document of the people who will be visited and proofs of your family membership.
B. For Changing A New Passport (old passport will expire soon and visa pages is over)Applicants should submit the previous passport used when entering China, or related certification demonstrated recycle by the embassy of your country in China. You may apply for a new Chinese Visa with the same visa type, validity, duration and entry times as the former one.
C. For Adding Companions after EntryThe original passport used to enter China, and the valid passport of the new companion.
D. For Group Visa SeparationA letter of consent from the travel agency and other related materials explaining this reason.
How to Renew My Chinese Visa - Essential Procedures to Know
Step 1: Locate the PSB office or Police Station where you temporarily live in.
Step 2: Visit the office, explain your situation and ask for help, get the application form and know application processes and other requirements. (Better find their contact number, call them if you need make online reservation)
Step 3: Take all above mentioned documents, submit them and pay the application fees.
Step 4: Accept inquiries from the Exit & Entry Administration Department of PSB, cooperate with the verification by phonecalls or other ways. Personal appearance to the interview at appointed time, if requested
Step 5: Collect your passport and new Chinese Visa.
Note: Normally, the applicant should apply appear in person. But the submission can be done by other person, the relatives, the inviting unit or agent, if the applicants is in one of the following situations: under 16 years old, or over 60 years old, has mobility difficulties or other illness; non-first entry visitors with good residence record; all foreigner’s living expenses are guaranteed by the inviting units or individual. Some big cities, like Beijing, Guangzhou, etc, has adopted an online system to complete application form and appointment.
China Visa Renewal Fees
The application fees differ from cases and number of entries, ranging from CNY 160 to CNY 672. The following visa fees schedules are listed for reference only. You can contact and visit the local Public Security Bureau for updated costs. (Zero Entry Chinese Visa is a one-time exit visa for visitors stayed longer that the permitted time. )
China Visa Renewal/Extension Fees for Countries on Non-reciprocal Basis (Except US, UK...):
|Zero/Single Entry Visa (per person)||Double Entries Visa||Multiple Entries Visa |
for 6 Months and above
|Multiple Entries Visa
for 1 Year to 5 Years
|CNY 160/168||CNY 252||CNY 420||CNY 672|
|Single Entry Group Visa |
|Double Entries Group Visa||Group Visa Separation||Travel Companion Adding/Reducing|
|CNY 130||CNY 170||CNY 160||CNY 160|
Tips: If you hold passport of the US, UK, Russia, Poland and other reciprocal countries, please contact us to check the detailed fees.
How to Apply for a Visa Extension in China
Since China is a vast country, you may need more time to travel around. If you want to stay longer beyond the authorized period, you are required to get your Chinese Visa extended from the Exit & Entry Administration Office of Public Security Bureau, at least 7 days before it expires. You can extend once or twice, but the accumulated length of extension shall not exceed the original duration of stay issued in the former Chinese Visa.
Chinese Visa Extension Requirements
How long can I get my Chinese Visa extended? What kind of documents should I prepare? The length and requirements both depend on your former visa category. Each applicant must submit the following required materials.
● The original of your valid passport and the former Chinese Visa;
● The original and photocopy of Registration Form of Temporary Residence 《外国人签证证件申请表》 for Foreign Visitors (registered with the newest passport);
Please note that, the accommodation registration should be done within 24 hours after entry in China.
● A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form, with a recent 2-inches photo (full faces, bareheaded);
● Relevant supporting documents, such as, for Tourist (L) Visa, individuals should submit travel plan and itinerary arrangements, group tourists needs extra documents of the travel agency; for Business (M) Visa, certification letter provided by the local host organization/individual is necessary, Certificate of Registration is needed if the company has not been put on records; for Family Reunion (Q2) Visa, the invitation letter, ID certification and proof of family membership is needed; for Short-term Student (X2) Visa, you need to submit studying certificate provided by Chinese educational or training institution.
Tips: 1.) The extended duration of stay varies from different visa types, e.g. L Visa shall not exceeding 30 days, F/M/X2/Q2/R Visa shall be no more than 180 days. 2.) The PSB may request an interview or other supplementary materials. Except special circumstances, all applicants should accept and submit, otherwise the extension application will not processed.
If you plan to get Chinese Visa extended in Beijing, you can visit https://zwfw.gaj.beijing.gov.cn/rp/ to make online appointment and the latest guide.
The Processing Time
Usually, the PSB will decide whether to grant the visa extension within 7 working days, upon the acceptance of all application documents. If your Chinese Visa get extended successfully, you can continue to stay in China without going back to your home country to make a new application.
About Chinese Visa Reissuance
Foreigners can apply for reissuing a new Chinese Visa, Stay Certificate and Residence Permits, if your passport is lost, damaged or stolen. The application will be handled within 7 working days on the receipt.
For those whose passport is lost or stolen in China, you need to provide a certificate of loss report of passport or a diplomatic note presented by their states' embassy or consulates to China and your new passport or other valid international travel document.
For those whose Chinese Visa is damaged, you must submit the damaged passport or a diplomatic note presented by their states' embassy or consulates to China, and your new valid passport/valid international travel document.
If your Group Tourist Visa is lost, stolen or damaged, you're required to submit the proof letter from the travel agency and the copy of the Group Tourist Visa.
About China Temporary Residence Registration
According to official laws and regulations, all foreigners visiting or living in China must make temporary residence/accommodation registration within 24 hours upon arrival. Otherwise, there will have a warning and penalty.
If you live in a hotel in China, the hotel worker shall register with relevant information. If you live in a rented apartment, or friend’s house, you or the host shall do the registration.
☞ Where to register in China?
You may register at the local Public Security Bureau, or police station.
☞ When to do the registration?
After entry, you should make the registration within 24 hours on arrival in China, within 72 hours in rural areas. No need for second entry with the same visa. You are required to register again within 10 days if your passport, visa and temporary living address is changed.
☞ What kind of documents are needed?
Your original passport, copy of the data page, visa page, and sealed entry page; photo; house rent agreement and copy of it; other related documents.
FAQs and Useful Tips on China Visa Renewal and Extension
1. Can I change my Chinese Visa type?
No, you can’t change the visa type once you submit the application. If necessary, you may apply to renew your Chinese Visa after you enter in China.
2. Can I use my Chinese Visa in my old passport?
Yes, you can use Chinese Visa in the old passport, as long as it is still valid. But you must take the old passport (with the valid Chinese Visa) and your new passport together.
3. What should I do if I lost my passport along with my Chinese Visa in China?
Step 1, report the loss to local police office or PSB. Step 2, apply for a new passport from the embassy of your country in China. Step 3, apply for a new Chinese Visa, or residence permit, exit document from the local immigration officials.
Travel China Visa Free with China Discovery
China Discovery is a professional and experienced travel companion who offers high-value and worry-free tours for you. To fulfill your dream tour to China, we not only design ideal itinerary covering sightseeing, dining, transfer and hotel, but also will provide you useful Invitation Letter to help you obtain Chinese Visa, even customize a China Visa-free Tour in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu, Hangzhou and more available destinations if you meet relevant visa requirements.
Popular China Visa-free Tours:
- ● 4 Days Classic Beijing Tour with Great Wall Hiking
- ● 5 Days Beijing Essence Tour with Real Hutong Life
- ● 3 Days Shanghai Past and Present Contrast Tour
- ● 3 Days Shanghai Highlights & Zhujiajiao Water Town Tour
- ● 2 Days Xian City Break
- ● 3 Days Classic Xian Tour
- ● 2 Days Guilin Ideal Li River Cruise with Yangshuo Essence
- ● 3 Days Classic Guilin Tour - Guilin Brief Vacation
- ● 3 Days Chengdu City Break including Panda Volunteering
- ● 3 Days Chengdu Highlights Tour
- ● 1 Day Valuable Hong Kong Tour
- ● 2 Days Essence of Hong Kong Tour
Top China Visa-Free Cities
Introduction to China Visa
- Ultimate China Visa Guide
- Do I Neee A Visa for China
- Chinese Visa Types
- How to Read China Visa
- Single, Double, Multiple Entry Visa
- China Tourist Visa
China Visa Application
- How to Apply for China Visa
- China Visa Requirements
- China Visa Application Form
- Visa Invitation Letter
- China Visa Application Online
- China Visa Expedited Service
- How Much is A China Visa
- Apply China Visa in HK
- Lost Passport & China Visa
China Visa Exemptions
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 2 Days Guilin Ideal Li River Cruise with Yangshuo Essence Tour
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Questions & Discussions
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.
Official has announced the automatic extension of soon-to-expire Chinese Visa for foreigners in China. For further details and different situation, we suggest you contact the Local Public Security Bureau to check what need to do to ensure your continue stay in China. Take good care of yourself and wish you everything goes well!
Thanks in advance
The conference indeed announced the free extension of Chinese Visa for foreigners staying in China. But since no one can predict when will Coronavirus be over, you’d better contact the local Public Security Bureau to check the latest policy and solution avoid any inconvenience. Take care of yourself and hope you everything is going well.
Have a question? Get answers from our travel experts or guests
- Your Question:
- Your Name:
- Your Email: