All visitors to China should know that, once a China Visa Application is submitted or processed, you can not change the visa type and the validity, unless you abolish the former application, and apply for a new one with adequate visa fees.
Your planned travel itinerary for China may change sometimes, so it’s essential to prepare yourselves beforehand and avoid any China Visa problems. If you adjust travel plan before departure, you can simply resubmit a new application to get a right Chinese Visa type or longer duration of stay. If you already entered China, you may apply for China Visa Renewal, Reissuance and China Visa Extension from the Exit & Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau (PSB).
After entering China, foreigners should submit visa renewal at the Exit & Entry Administration Office of Public Security Bureau (at county level and above), if you meet one of these 4 circumstances: ① change the purpose of visiting and stay; ② issued a new passport (former passport will expire soon, or visa pages have been used up); ③ add companions after entry; ④ group tourists need to stay in China separately. If you fail to to renew your China Visa, and the former visa will become invalid, so you have to exit, leave China and go back home. Bear in mind that illegal stay would be punished.
When apply for China Visa Renewal, all foreigner applicants have to submit the required documents, accept inquiry and follow the basic application processes. The authority will decide to issue you a new Chinese Visa within 7 days from the date of acceptance. Check the guide below to know how to prepare and get China Visa renewed.
● The originals and photocopies of applicant’s valid passport (or valid international travel documents) and Chinese Visa;
● A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form 《外国人签证证件申请表》;
You can directly fill in a paper form at the office of the local police station or PSB, or download a Word/PDF version from official website and complete it.
● A recent 2-inches photo which was taken in the last 6 months, a full faces, bareheaded photo;
● A completed Registration Form of Temporary Residence for Visitors 《外国人临时住宿登记表》;
● Other papers supporting the renewal.
Required Supporting Materials include:
A. For Alteration of Purpose of Stay in China
B. For Changing A New Passport (old passport will expire soon and visa pages is over)
C. For Adding Companions after Entry
D. For Group Visa Separation
Step 1: Locate the PSB office or Police Station where you temporarily live in.
Step 2: Visit the office, explain your situation and ask for help, get the application form and know application processes and other requirements.
Step 3: Submit all required documents and pay the application fees.
Step 4: Accept inquiries from the Exit & Entry Administration Department of PSB, cooperate with the verification by phonecalls or other ways. Personal appearance to the interview at appointed time, if requested
Step 5: Pick up your passport and new Chinese Visa.
Note: Normally, the applicant should apply appear in person. But the submission can be done by other person, the relatives, the inviting unit or agent, if the applicants is in one of the following situations: under 16 years old, or over 60 years old, has mobility difficulties or other illness; non-first entry visitors with good residence record; all foreigner’s living expenses are guaranteed by the inviting units or individual. Some big cities, like Beijing, Guangzhou, etc, has adopted an online system to complete application form and appointment.
The application fees differ from cases and number of entries, ranging from CNY 160 to CNY 672. The following visa fees schedules are listed for reference only. You can contact and visit the local Public Security Bureau for updated costs. (Zero Entry Chinese Visa is a one-time exit visa for visitors stayed longer that the permitted time. )
China Visa Renewal Fees for Countries on Non-reciprocal Basis:
|Zero/Single Entry Visa (per person)||Double Entries Visa||Multiple Entries Visa |
for 6 Months and above
|Multiple Entries Visa
for 1 Year to 5 Years
|CNY 168||CNY 252||CNY 420||CNY 672|
|Single Entry Group Visa |
|Double Entries Group Visa||Group Visa Separation||Travel Companion Adding/Reducing|
|CNY 130||CNY 170||CNY 160||CNY 160|
Since China is a vast country, you may need more time to travel around. If you want to stay longer beyond the authorized period, you are required to get your Chinese Visa extended from the Exit & Entry Administration Office of Public Security Bureau, at least 7 days before it expires. You can extend once or twice, but the accumulated length of extension shall not exceed the original duration of stay issued in the former Chinese Visa.
How long can I get my Chinese Visa extended? What kind of documents should I prepare? The length and requirements both depend on your former visa category. Each applicant must submit the following required materials.
● The originals of your valid passport and valid Chinese Visa;
● The original and photocopy of Registration Form of Temporary Residence for Foreign Visitors (registered with the newest passport);
Please note that, the accommodation registration should be done within 24 hours after entry in China.
● A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form, with a recent 2-inches photo (full faces, bareheaded);
● Relevant supporting documents, such as, for Tourist (L) Visa, individuals should submit travel plan and itinerary, group tourists needs extra certificate and proof of the travel agency; for Business (M) Visa, certification letter provided by the local host organization/individual is necessary; for Family (Q2) Visa, the invitation letter, ID certification and proof of family membership is needed; for Short-term Student (X2) Visa, you need to submit studying certificate provided by Chinese educational or training institutions.
Tips: 1.) The extended duration of stay varies from different visa types, e.g. L Visa shall not exceeding 30 days, M/X2/Q2 Visa shall be no more than 180 days. 2.) The PSB may request an interview or other supplementary materials. Except special circumstances, all applicants should accept and submit, otherwise the extension application will not processed.
If you plan to get Chinese Visa extended in Shanghai, you can visit http://www.police.sh.cn/shga/wzXxfbGj/getWsbsWgr to get latest guide for visa, residence permit and permanent residence certificat.
Usually, the PSB will decide whether to grant the visa extension within 7 working days, upon the acceptance of all application documents. If your Chinese Visa get extended successfully, you can continue to stay in China without going back to your home country to do the application.
Foreigners can apply for reissuing a new Chinese Visa, Stay Certificate and Residence Permits, if your passport is lost, damaged or stolen. The application will be handled within 7 working days on the receipt.
1. Your original valid passport, or other valid international travel document;
2. The original and photocopy of Registration Form of Temporary Residence for Foreign Visitors (registered with the newest passport);
3. A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form, a recent 2-inches photo (full faces, bareheaded);
4. Related Proofs, like, if the passport is lost/stolen, please submit the loss report, or diplomatic note by the foreign embassy; if Group Visa is lost/stolen/damaged, please submit the photocopy of the Group Visa and certification letter of the local travel agency; etc.
According to official laws and regulations, all foreigners visiting or living in China must make temporary residence/accommodation registration within 24 hours upon arrival. Otherwise, there will have a warning and penalty.
If you live in a hotel in China, the hotel worker shall register with relevant information. If you live in a rented apartment, or friend’s house, you or the host shall do the registration.
You may register at the local Public Security Bureau, or police station.
After entry, you should make the registration within 24 hours on arrival in China, within 72 hours in rural areas. No need for second entry with the same visa. You are required to register again within 10 days if your passport, visa and temporary living address is changed.
Your original passport, copy of the data page, visa page, and sealed entry page; photo; house rent agreement and copy of it; other related documents.
1. Can I change my Chinese Visa type?
No, you can’t change the visa type once you submit the application. If necessary, you may apply to renew your Chinese Visa after entered in China.
2. Can I use my Chinese Visa in my old passport?
Yes, you can use Chinese Visa in the old passport, as long as it is still valid. But you must take the old passport (with the valid Chinese Visa) and your new passport together.
3. What should I do if I lost my passport along with my Chinese Visa in China?
Step 1, report the loss to local police office or PSB. Step 2, apply for a new passport from the embassy of your country in China. Step 3, apply for a new Chinese Visa, or residence permit, exit document from the local immigration officials.
China Discovery is a professional and experienced travel companion who offers high-value and worry-free tours for you. To fulfill your dream tour to China, we not only design ideal itinerary covering sightseeing, dining, transfer and hotel, but also will provide you useful Invitation Letter to help you obtain Chinese Visa, even customize a China Visa-free Tour in Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu, Hangzhou and more available destinations if you meet relevant visa requirements.
Popular China Visa-free Tours:
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip