Since 2016, China has implemented the 144-hour Visa-free Transit Policy for foreigners who are from the appointed 53 countries, hold the valid international travel documents and connecting flight tickets to a third country, which allows them to enter and stay in the certain areas without visa within 144 hours (6 days) in China. At present, there are totally 14 cities in China implementing the policy include the Yangtze River Delta (Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang), Jing Jin Ji (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province), Chengdu, Kunming, Xiamen, Wuhan, Qingdao, Dalin and Shenyang in Liaoning Province. It provides greater convenience for foreigners' transit and traveling and business trip with more flexibility in China. (updated in January, 2019)
Countries which meet the criteria and allowed to apply 144-hour visa-free transit in China certain cities, are listed below, for the number of 53, presently.
America Countries (6): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Republic of Chile.
European Countries (39): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Monaco, and the Republic of Belarus.
Oceania Countries (2): Australia and New Zealand.
Asian Countries (6): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
|City||Entry Port||Visa-free Stay Area||Implement Date|
|Beijing||Beijing Capital International Airport
Beijing West Railway Station
|Beijing||December 28, 2017|
|Tianjin||Tianjin Binhai International Airport
Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
|Shijiazhuang (Hebei Province)||Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport||Hebei Province|
|Qinhuangdao (Hebei Province)||Qinghuangdao Sea Port||Hebei Province|
|Shanghai||Shanghai Pudong International Airport
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
Shanghai Railway Station
Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal
|Shanghai||January 30, 2016|
|Nanjing||Nanjing Lukou International Airport||Jiangsu Province （Suzhou...）|
|Hangzhou||Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport||Zhejiang Province|
|Chengdu||Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport||Chengdu||January 1, 2019|
|Kunming||Kunming Changshui International Airport||Kunming|
|Xiamen||Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport
Xiamen Wutong Ferry Terminal
Xiamen International Cruise Center
|Wuhan||Wuhan Tianhe International Airport||Wuhan|
|Qingdao||Qingdao Liuting International Airport||Shandong Province|
|Shenyang||Shenyang Taoxian International Airport||Liaoning Province||January 1, 2018|
|Dalian||Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport|
● Holding a valid documentation like your passport issued by one of the 53 countries listed above;
● Holding valid airline tickets with 144-hour validation of the destination in the third country (regions, including Hong Kong and Macau) & have booked onward flight with detailed dates and seats;
● Holding the foreigner’s entry & exit card filled in advance;
Note: You can apply the request for transit to your airline in advance, so that the airline can declare this to the Immigration Inspection prior to your visit. You will be granted a transit permit at the airport issued by the local Exit-Entry frontier inspection, if you meet all requirements.
From January 30, 2016, China implemented the 144-Hour Visa-free Transit policy for citizens of certain above mentioned 53 countries who meet the criteria to via and travel the Yangtze River Delta, including the administrative regions within Shanghai, and any cities in Jiangsu province and Zhejiang province. See the detail ports in each city as following:
Nanjing Lukou International Airport
From December 28th, 2017, China implemented the 144-hour Visa Free Transit policy to allow citizens from the above appointed 53 countries to transit and travel in the Jing Jin Ji Area, including all administrative area of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province within 144 hours. See the detail ports in each city as following:
Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing West Railway Station
Tianjin Binhai International Airport, Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airpot, Qinhuangdao Port
On January 1st, 2018, the Ministry of Public Security of China also announced the 144-hour Visa Free Transit policy in Liaoning Province and enables citizens from the above appointed 53 countries to transit via the air ports in Shenyang and Dalian and travel in Liaoning Province within 144 hours. See the detail ports in each city as following:
Shenyang Taoxian International Airport
Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport
From January 1, 2019, five more cities in China have been approved to carry out the 144-hour Visa-free Policy for visotors from the appointed 53 countries, including Chengdu, Kunming, Xiamen, Wuhan, Qingdao. Thus, those holding the required documents can entry in those cities from the fixed ports and stay in the administrative areas within 144 hours. The good news brings a great chance to enjoy more time in the cities with the extension from the previous 72 to 144 hours.
Kunming Changshui International Airport
Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport, Xiamen Wutong Ferry Terminal, Xiamen International Cruise Center
Wuhan Tianhe International Airport
Qingdao Liuting International Airport
1. The 144-hour visa-free transit policy is only suitable for people who transit the specified area with onward transfer to the third country or region, so the place of departure and destination must be different.
For example if you apply for the 144-hour Visa Free Transit in the Yangtze River Delta
2. The above three 144-hour Visa Free Transit policies in Yangtze River Delta, Jing Jin Ji Area, and Liaoning Province are respectively operated, which means, you can apply for that transit in only one area at one time and transit and travel within that only one area.
For example, if you apply for the 144-hour Visa Free Transit in Jing Jin Ji Area, you can only transit by the appointed ports in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province and stay only within the administrative area of the three places within 144 hours and cannot go to other places in the Yangtze River Delta or Liaoning Province. Like:
Also, visitors cannot go to other cities China. For example,
3. The 144-hour visa free transit counts from 00:00 on the next day of entry, not from the time when the flight land at the airport. For example, if you arrive in Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:00 on March 1st, 2019 , the policy is counted by the next day from 00:00, and you can stay in Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang before 24:00 on March 7th, 2019.
4. Those who cannot leave China for a third country within 144 hours, for whatever reason, should apply for a visa at the local Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Administration Office. If you fail to go through visa formalities according to the stipulations of Chinese airports will be punished according to Chinese law.
5. Either Appointed Arrival & Departure Ports: For Visitors to Yangtze River Delta, you can arrive at any one of the above mentioned ports in Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou and can leave China from any one of the above ports within the 144 hours. For Visitors to Jing Jin Ji Area, you can arrive at any one of the above mentioned ports in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province and can leave China from any one of the above ports within the 144 hours. For Visitors to Liaoning Province, you can arrive at any one of the above mentioned air ports in Shenyang and Dalian and can leave China from any one of the above ports within the 144 hours.
6. Visitors who meet the conditions of more than one visa-free transit policies are allowed to visit China under the provisions of the longer staying policy. Like a Singaporean traveler meets the conditions of both the 15-days visa free transit policy and the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, he/she is still allowed to travel China under the regulations of the 15-days visa free.
7. For more information, please contact the local city Exit and Entry Frontier Inspection, such as the border control authorities of the ports of entry in Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai or Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Shenyang, Dalian, etc.
As this wonderful policy has been taken into measure, you can have more time to discover the beauty and attractions in all places in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province, or in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces, or Chengdu, Kunming in Southwestern China, Xiamen, Wuhan and Shandong Province, or have several exciting days in Liaoning province.
Since one can stay in the Yangtze River Delta for 144 hours, it is highly suggested to spend enough time to discover the most essence in these destinations. The recommended Tours of the Yangtze River Delta as following:
As the implement of the 144-hour Visa Free Transit policy in Jing Jin Ji Area, you are surely advised to take your 6 days explore the charm in northern China, especially in Beijing to savor the majestic charm and profound historical culture of the world famous ancient capital city in China.
The five new members of Chinese cities applicable to the 144-hour Visa-free Transit Policy are popular tourist destinations with unique cityscape and charming cultural and natural sites. Under the benefit of the policy, visitors can stay for several days to catch the essence of the city before heading to next country. Check our most popular local city tours in the below:
If you want to have fun in other attractions in Yangtze River Delta, Jing Jin Ji Area, Chengdu, Kunming, Xiamen, Liaoning Province and other places in China, please contact our Travel Consultant to customize a tour for you!
Highly advise to spend your days to admire the capital city in China and magnificence of ancient royal family.
Highlights: the Forbidden City, the Great Walls, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Beijing Hutongs, etc.
Shanghai Pudong Airport and Hongqiao Airport both serve you the visa-free transit to enjoy the city highlights.
Highlights: The Bund, Nanjing Road, Yu Garden, Jinmao Tower, Jade Buddha Temple, etc.
Xiaoshan Airport serves you to visit the best scenery and culture of the heaven on earth.
Highlights: West Lake, National Tea Culture Museum, Linyin Temple, Wuzhen Water Town, etc.
Due to this policy allowed for air, water and land transit, so before granting the transit permit, there are some notices to keep in mind for the interline ticket booking, only for those passengers, who hold valid passports issued by the 53 countries.
1. According to the policy requires for a foreign national passing through China city for a third country or region (including Hong Kong and Macau). Therefore this measure does not apply to a passenger traveling back and forth different areas of same country.
Also, both your flights to and away from China should not make a layover in other cities in mainland China and without the appointed region.
2. Although the Yangtze River Delta, Jing Jin Ji Area and Liaoning Province have been noticed to measure this 144-hour Visa-free police for citizens from the certain 53 countries, one is not allowed to enter in China from the Yangtze River Delta region but leave China from Jing Jin Ji Area or Liaoning Province during the 144 hours, and also the same way for the other two regions. For example, arriving at China from Shanghai but departing from Beijing or Dalian is not allowed in this policy; arriving at China from Shanghai and departing from Hangzhou or Nanjing within the 144 hours is suitable, or arriving at Beijing and leaving China from Tianjin is ok too.
This situation may occur in other transit cities. Therefore, you should make sure the international airline you booked is nonstop preferably.
If you have any questions about Chinese Visa, please feel free to ask our travel expert for help.
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore China in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Shanghai / Suzhou / Hangzhou /
Shanghai / Hangzhou / Suzhou / Shanghai
Shanghai / Suzhou / Zhouzhuang / Shanghai