Situated northeast of Beijing and 225km away from it, Chengde is a prefecture-level city in Hebei province, known for the vast Imperial Summer Resort in the downtown area and Jinshanling Great Wall in the suburban Luanping County. With railway linking to Beijing and many other cities, you can easily get to Chengde by train. By the end of 2020, the high-speed railway section between Beijing and Chengde will start its operation making Chengde accessible from Beijing within about 1 hour.
• Useful Link: How to Get from Beijing to Chengde
There are four railway stations serving Luoyang city, namely Chengde Railway Station (承德站), Chengde South Railway Station (承德南站), Chengde East Railway Station (承德东站), and Xinglong Railway Station (兴隆站). Among them, Chengde South Railway Station is the only high-speed train station that will be put into use on 25th, December 2020, and Chengde Railway Station is serving normal trains for passengers traveling to Chengde, while Xinglong Railway Station is a small normal train station located between Chengde city and Beijing, and Chengde East Railway Station is facing Chengde South Railway Station but mainly used for delivering goods.
• Recommended Chendge Tour: ✔ 2 Days Classic Chengde Tour
• Location: East side of Dongnan Shanzhong street, Shuangqiao District, Chengde City, Hebei Province 河北省承德市双桥区东南山中街东侧
• Train Type: High-speed G Trains of Beijing - Shenyang High-Speed Railway Section
• Connected Cities (Train Stations): Dalian (4.5 hours), Shenyang (2.5 hours), Liaoning Chaoyang (1-1.5 hours), Pingquan North (30 minutes), etc.
• News: Beijing - Shenyang high-speed railway will be put into operation on December 25, 2020. It is estimated that the duration of high-speed trains between Beijing and Chengde will be about 1 hour, and over 50 high-speed trains will run between the two cities.
• Distance & Transportation: Chengde South Railway Station is only about 9km to Chengde downtown area and about 14km to the Imperial Summer Palace of Mountain Resort. You can easily get to the Imperial Summer Resort by taxi (about 30min) or Bus 68, 69, etc.
• How to Get to Jinshanling Great Wall: Jinshanling Great Wall is located in the southwest of Chengde city about 86km away from Chengde South Railway Station (about 1.5-2 hours by car). There is no direct bus to get to Jinshanling Great Wall. The only way is to drive or charter a private car.
• Recommended Chendge Tour: ✔ 3 Days Chengde Highlights Tour including Jinshanling Great Wall Hiking
Chengde South Railway Station
Platform of Chengde South Railway Station
• Location: No.235, Station Road, Shuangqiao District, Chengde City, Hebei Province 河北省承德市双桥区车站路235号
• Operating Railway Section: Jincheng Railway (Liaoning Jinzhou Chengde), Beijing Chengde Railway, Chengde Longhua branch line, Tianjin Chengde Intercity Railway (under planning)
• Train Type: normal K & Y Trains and normal trains with 4-digit train numbers
• Connected Cities (Train Stations): Beijing (3.5-9.5 hours), Shijiazhuang (9.5-10.5 hours), Changping North (9.5 hours), Tongzhou West (4.5-7 hours), Xinglong County (2-3.5 hours), Pingquan (0.5-2.5 hours), Tongliao of Inner Mongolia (10 hours), Handan of Hebei (11.5 hours), etc
Distance & Transportation: Chengde Railway Station is only about 2.5km to Chengde downtown area and about 3km to the Imperial Summer Palace of Mountain Resort. You can easily get to the Imperial Summer Resort by taxi or Bus 15, 5, K1, 29, 2, 13, etc.
How to Get to Jinshanling Great Wall: Jinshanling Great Wall is located in the southwest of Chengde city about 87km away from Chengde Railway Station (about 1.5-2 hours by car). There is no direct bus to get to Jinshanling Great Wall. The only way is to drive or charter a private car.
• Recommended Chendge Tour: ✔ 2 Days Chengde Tour from Beijing
Chengde Railway Station
Besides the two major train stations above, there are another two small train stations serving few normal trains and freight trains, namely Chengde East Railway Station which is located in the Chengde downtown area, and Xinglong Railway Station which is the closest train station to Beijing in Chengde. Both of them are not recommendable for your departure and arrival in Chengde.
• Location: Dashimiao Town, Shuangqiao District, Chengde City, Hebei Province 河北省承德市双桥区大石庙镇
• Distance: It's about 10km away from the city center area (about 30min by car), and 14km away from the Imperial Summer Resort (about 50min by car).
• Connected Cities (Train Stations): Beijing Tongzhou West (6.5 hours), Hebei Chengde Xinglong County (2.5-3 hours), Pingquan (2.5 hours), etc.
Chengde East Railway Station
• Location: Cheng Guan Zhen Wu Ling Jie, Xinglong County, Chengde City, Hebei Province 河北省承德市兴隆县城关镇雾灵街
• Distance: It's about 90km away from Chengde city downtown area (about 1.5h by car), and 95km away from the Imperial Summer Resort (about 1.5h by car).
• Connected Cities (Train Stations): Chengde (2-4 hours), Tongzhou West (2.5-3.5 hours), Tongliao (12.5 hours), Beijing (1.5-3 hours), Handan, Hebei (9.5 hours), etc.
How to Get to Chengde: You can fly to Chengde from Shanghai, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Shijiazhuang or take a high speed train from Beijing, Shijiazhuang and other Chinese cities.
Best Time to Visit Chengde: April to October, especially April and May in spring and September and October in autumn
Top Attractions to Visit in Chengde: Jinshanling Great Wall, Chengde Imperial Mountain Resort, Bashang Grassland, Putuo Zhongcheng Temple…
Chengde, a city neighboring Beijing, is known for the Imperial Mountain Resort and surrounding temples such as Putuo Zhongcheng Temple, Puning Temple, and Pule Temple, where the royal family members have come to visit and had a retreat here to escape the summer heat, and about 100km away from Chengde downtown is the magnificent Jinshanling Great Wall. Further away to the northwest of suburban Chengde is the vast picturesque Bashang Grassland. Usually, 2 or 3 days is suitable for visiting major highlights of Chengde. To make photography tour or landscape tour to Bashang Grassland, you need to plan at least 2 days.
For the short distance to Beijing, generally, many tourists would like take 4 to 5 days to travel Chengde after your trip in Beijing, and Beijing is usually the gateway city to start your trip in Chengde with world-renown ancient wonders such as the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, and Temple of Heaven, Mutianyu Great Wall, Hutongs, etc. After your 2 or 3 days' Beijing highlight trip, soon your can start your exploration in Chengde. It's convenient to visit the temples and royal resort in the city center area and to see the unmissable Jinshanling Great Wall along your way between Chengde and Beijing. If time allows and you’re quite interested in natural scenery, the idyllic Bashang Grassland is also charming to see.
Besides Beijing, travelers can also extend the Chengde trip further to Tianjin, Qinhuangdao, Zhangjiakou, in Hebei Province and even other northern cities like Dalian and Shengyang to see more stunning heritage and nature sights in China.
China Discovery is an experienced, professional, and reliable travel companion devoted to offering high-quality and the best tour services for all travelers to China. To have a hassle-free journey and focus on the trip itself, it’s highly recommended to travel with China Discovery. So, you can enjoy convenient airport pick-up and drop-off service and transportation to all scenic spots in a safe, clean, comfortable, air-conditioned, and non-smoking vehicle. Also, we will arrange a knowledgeable local tour guide, excellent accommodation, and dining arrangements to ensure you rest well in Chengde and Beijing and get a better understanding of the culture behind the attractions. You may select a favorite from our most popular Chengde tours or contact us to design a unique itinerary according to your personal time and preference.
Top 3 Chengde tours chosen by most customers to explore Chengde in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Chengde / Jinshanling Great Wall / Beijing
Beijing / Chengde / Beijing
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once inquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip