The CCRCGP Dujiangyan Panda Base (also Dujiangyan Panda Ark) is located in Qingchengshan Town of Dujiangyan City, 18 kilometers from Dujiangyan downtown. To its north is the Taoist holy mountain – Mount Qingcheng; to its south is an ancient town in west Sichuan, called Jiezi Ancient Town. Dujiangyan Panda Base is a professional organization specializing in giant panda rescue and disease prevention in China.
(Please note: Ya’an Bifengxia Panda Base are under construction yet, please come to Dujiangyan Panda Base to see and experience panda volunteer job. For more latest panda news, please feel free to contact us.)
Covering an area of 760 acres, Dujiangyan Panda Base is aimed to improve the panda’s living condition and ecological protection. At present, there are more than 30 giant pandas and 5 red pandas living here.
Dujiangyan Panda Base has seven functional zones, including rescue zone, isolation zone, healing zone, educational zone, scenic zone, etc. Among three of them - the healing, educational and scenic zones with 5000 hectares, are open to public to popularize the knowledge and do the Panda Volunteer Program. The panda researching area near the Base entrance although is not open to the public, visitors could closely hug one giant panda and record that moment by pressing your shutter. Panpan Garden, Shuangnan Garden, Diequan Garden and Linze Garden together form the panda’s garden where you can see the adorable white and black giant pandas as well as red pandas living and having fun there and also appreciate the natural sightseeing in the bamboo forest. The classic panda volunteer program is the one-day volunteer program for travelers to experience in panda rescuing, researching and caring, which you will enjoy in one of the four gardens in Dujiangyan Panda Base.
Joining in the Panda Volunteer Program is the most highlight to do in Dujiangyan Panda Base. Here you can not only have a close look at pandas, but also learn some rescue skills and scientific knowledge about pandas.
During the classic one-day volunteer program, the activities include honorary keepers, science quest, love feeling, panda nutritionist, panda movie, panda class and panda fun trip.
● Honorable Keeper: clean up bamboos, pick up droppings, wash the enclosures, observe and understand the panda’s status and living conditions, etc. It takes about 2 hours.
● Science Quest: explore the panda rescue exhibition hall to know about stories associated with panda rescues. It takes about 30 minutes.
● Love Feeding: personally deliver to the pandas, their delicious “Cake” and fruits. Understand panda’s feeding habits. It takes about 30 minutes.
● Panda Cinema: watch a documentary that allows scientific facts about pandas, to understand how humans protect them, and how we may live in harmony with them.
● Panda Nutritionist: prepare food for the pandas and also experience the fun of making the “Panda’s Cake”. It takes about 45 minutes.
● Panda Class: inviting our experienced panda experts to share their scientific knowledge. It takes about 45 minutes.
● Love Garden: Plant bamboos and trees, as well as set up nametags. It takes about 45 minutes.
● Fun Trip: after a day’s observing, studying, let panda husbandry learners be quizzed with questions regarding facts about pandas. It takes about 30 minutes.
Learn Details about Panda Volunteer Program and Activities >>
After the panda volunteer activities, participants will receive an official certificate from CCRCGP that proves your love for giant pandas, as well as souvenirs, like a panda badge, a panda T-shirt or a panda club magazine.
FYI: The panda volunteer programs in Chengdu Panda Base and Bifengxia Panda Base have been cancelled, so at present you can join in the panda volunteer program only in Dujiangyan Panda Base and Shenshuping Panda Base in Wolong National Nature Reserve.
This interaction activity should be down within four steps in below:
(1) Health Examination Form: Volunteers can hold one panda in Dujiangyan Panda Base and take photos with it, on the condition that you have a valid Health Examination Form, which can be applied in your country or in China. Please ask our tour experts for more details. Interested people could feel free to contact our travel consultant for more information or let them register for you.
(2) Age & Number Limitations: The center can accept up to 30 volunteers at any one time and the age should be between 12 and 65.
(3) Avoid Using Strong Smell: For pandas have keen sense of smell, volunteers should avoid using perfume or other odorous articles like mosquito repellent liquid or nail polish, etc. on the volunteering work day.
(4) Dressing Code: During your panda volunteer program, you are required to wear comfortable shoes, like sports shoes that are suitable for the work, and try to avoid sandals, slippers, high-heels, and so on. Besides, wear trousers, avoid shorts and skirts, etc. (during the volunteer program, the panda base will provide working jumpsuits in spring and winter, and T-shirts in summer and autumn for you.)
(5) Healthy Bodies: To well protect giant pandas, volunteers and panda holders are required to be healthy, and people who are suffering from illness, like a cold, fever, influenza, and other infectious diseases are not suitable to have body contact with the giant pandas.
(6) Force Majeure: The panda volunteer and holding program is to be delayed or inaccessible if there is Force Majeure like earthquakes, epidemic... Also, your program may be influenced by the inevitable requirement and control.
(7) Donation Fee: During this interaction, your any good behavior is appreciated. And the donation fee (1800 RMB) you provided is to help saving this endangered species and create a better environment to them.
As the local travel agency, China Discovery provides the local tour guide and driver service to escort you to Dujiangyan Panda Base from Chengdu airport/train station or other locations in Chengdu by booking Dujiangyan Volunteer Program with us. Or you can take your own way to get to Dujiangyan Panda Base, which is time-consuming.
Take high-speed train from Chengdu North Railway Station and get off at Qingchengshan station for about 50 mins (earliest train at around 6:45 a.m.), then transfer to taxi to Dujiangyan Panda Base. Besides, after you arriving at Qingchengshan Station, you can take the local bus 102 to Xiongmao Jikong Zhongxin Stop and walk to Dujiangyan Panda Base.
Take long-distance coach from Chengdu Chadianzi Bus Station to arrive at Dujiangyan Bus Station, which usually costs about 1.5 - 2 hours, then take No. 102 bus and get off at Dujiangyan Panda Base, for about 15 min.
Before or after your Dujiangyan Panda Base visit, the nearby Mt. Qingcheng (Qingchengshan) is a great spot to suck up the Taoism. Also, you can visit the Dujiangyan Irrigation System to appreciate the renowned Chinese ancient water conservancy project and view the nature scenery. And moreover, the ancient Jiezi Ancient Town of only about 5 km away is a wonderful place to enjoy the traditional Chinese buildings, snacks and culture.
Top 3 Dujiangyan tours chosen by most customers to explore Dujiangyan in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Dujiangyang Panda Base, Mount Qingcheng, Dujiangyan Irrigation System
Chengdu / Dujiangyan / Chengdu
Start planning your tailor-made holiday to China by contacting one of our specialists. Once enquired, you’ll get a response within 0.5~23.5 hours.Customize a Trip
Following are latest questions and answers from our webusers and customers. You can learn many useful information from the discussion and cases. You can also join in the discussions or ask your own question. Our experts will help you ASAP.