Tibet Travel Tips & FAQs
1. When is the best time to visit Tibet?
Usually, the months from April to October are suitable for traveling to Tibet. But best season to visit Tibet is autumn.
2. What to pack if I travel in Tibet?
A windbreaker, a pair of durable and comfortable shoes, a down jacket (better with hat), sunscreen cream, sun block, skin cream and lip balm, sunglasses, medicine for urgent use.
3. Can I use credit card in Tibet?
Credit cards are not recommended as a way of payment in Tibet because they are only accepted by the Bank of China and few hotels in Lhasa. exchange enough money to Chinese RMB in cash is the best choice though it has risks.
4. What documents do I need if I am planning to travel to Tibet?
A valid passport, a valid China visa and Tibet Pemits.
5. If I travel via Nepal to Tibet, are there any special requirements on China visa?
You must get a GROUP visa in Kathmandu, which is issued by the Chinese Embassy.
6. How to apply for the Tibet Permits?
You have to book a tour with a travel agency and hire a tour guide and driver. Then send you a copy of your passport to your agency which will apply for the permits for you and then mail to your address in China.
7. How can I avoid of High altitude sickness?
Avoid strong activity; do not take shower at the first day; drink more water and avoid of alcohol; better not to take oxygen if your AMS symptoms are mild.
8. What is the condition of Tibet accommodation?
Compared with other developed cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, the hotel standard and environment is relatively low, which still can ensure a comfortable stay in Lhasa for you. Hotels in small cities and the Everest Base camp are very basic.
9. Can I connect to the Internet in my hotel?
Hotels in Lhasa and Shigatse can provide Internet connection.
10. Is the western food offered in Tibet?
Western food is ensured only in Lhasa.
11. Where can I take flights to Tibet?
Lhasa Gonggar Airport connects Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xian, Guangzhou, Kunming, Diqing, Chamdo, etc. Besides, there is one international airline running between Lhasa and Kathmandu.
Recommended Tibet Tours
Top 3 Tibet city tours chosen by most customers to explore Tibet in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary,or tailor your own trip now with us.
- 4 Days Lhasa Essence Tour
Lhasa City & Suburb
- 5 Days Lhasa & Namtso Tour
Lhasa / Namtso
- 8 Days Lhasa & Everest Base Camp Tour
Lhasa / Gyangtse / Shigatse/ Everest