From January 1, 2013, China implemented the 72-Hour Visa-free Transit policy for citizens of certain countries who meet the criteria to via and travel some certain China Cities, Including Beijing, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang, Dalian, Xian, Guilin, Kunming, Harbin, Xiamen, Wuhan, Tianjin, Qingdao and Changsha, in total of 15 cities (until August 22, 2016). Please click 72-hour Visa-free China City List to know more details of the valid ports of entry in each city and its limited stay area.
|China City||Valid air ports of entry||Permitted stay area|
|Beijing||Beijing Capital International Airport||Beijing City|
|Guangzhou||Guangzhou Baiyu International Airport||Guangdong Province|
|Chengdu||Chengdu ShuangLiu International Airport||Chengdu City|
|Chongqing||Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport||Chongqing City|
|Shenyang||Shenyang Taoxian International Airport||Shenyang City|
|Dalian||Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport||Dalian City|
|Xian||Xian Xianyang International Airport||Xian City|
|Guilin||Guilin Liangjiang International Airport||Guilin City|
|Kunming||Kunming Changshui International Airport||Kunming City|
|Harbin||Harbin Taiping International Airport||Harbin City|
|Xiamen||Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport||Xiamen City|
|Wuhan||Wuhan Tianhe International Airport||Wuhan City|
|Tianjin||Tianjin Binhai International Airport||Tianjin City|
|Qingdao||Qingdao Liuting International Airport||Shandong Province|
|Changsha||Changsha Huanghua International Airport||Hunan Province|
Countries which meet the criteria and allowed to apply 72-hour visa-free transit in China certain cities, are listed below, for the number of 51, presently.
America Countries (6): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Republic of Chile.
European Countries (37): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania.
Oceania Countries (2): Australia and New Zealand.
Asian Countries (6): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.
● Holding a valid passport issued by one of the 51 countries listed above;
● Having valid international travel documents and qualified for the entry requirements of the third destination country, like valid visa;
● Holding valid airline tickets with 72-hour validation of final destination in the third country & have booked onward flight seats;
● Reported to Chinese immigration inspection authority by the airline companies you chose to take.
Note: You can apply the request for transit to your airline in advance, so that the airline can declare this to the Immigration Inspection prior to your visit. You will be granted a transit permit at the airport issued by the local Exit-Entry frontier inspection, if you meet all requirements. By the way, Beijing Capital International Airport has now changed this procedure, and passengers can apply directly for 72 hour free transit permit after arrival at this airport.
1. It only applies to passengers who transit through the eligible city international airport. That is to say, passengers who travel China by train, ship or other transportation is not acceptable.
While there are some exceptional conditions, like foreigners who enter China via Beijing West Railway Station directly from Mongolia or Russia, and must leave China from Beijing Capital International Airport within 72 hours.
2. Visitors are not allowed to leave the stay area during the 72-hour visa-free period. For cities of Guangzhou, Qingdao and Changsha, visitors can travel not only its city but also the whole provincial administrative region, legally.
3. You must depart from the same airport where you arrived in. For example, if you arrive in Beijing Capital International Airport, you are required to leave China mainland from this airport.
4. The 72-hour visa free transit counts from the next day, not from the time when the flight land at the airport. For example, if you arrive in Beijing Capital International Airport at 9:00, the policy is counted by the next day from 00:00, which means if you arrive in China city in the morning, there are four days for you to travel around.
5. Those who cannot leave China for a third country within 72 hours, for whatever reason, should apply for a visa at the local Public Security Bureau Exit-Entry Administration Office. If you fail to go through visa formalities according to the stipulations of Chinese airports will be punished according to Chinese law.
6. After your transit permit approved, you’ll need to complete registration procedures pursuant to the relevant provisions. If you have temporary overnight stay outside the hotel, it is necessity to go to local police station for registration in person or the person who offers your accommodation. By booking with us, we can help you to check-in.
7. For more information, please contact the local city Exit and Entry Frontier Inspection, such as the border control authorities of the ports of entry in Beijing or Guangzhou.
No matter which city you applied the transit, they will present you a unique travel experience in China within the permit times and regions. Some transit cities with famous attractions listed for you to know better of them and fully enjoy your time in China.
the port city along Yangtze River, featuring historical sites for you to learn the Three Gorges civilization.
Highlights: Ciqikou Ancient Town, Three Gorges Museum, Chongqing Zoo, Dazu Rock Carvings, Wulong Karst Landscape, etc.
gathering many minorities,it offers different traditional local life by visiting various ethnic villages.
Highlights: Yunnan Nationalities Village, Green Lake, Stone Forest, Dongchuan Red Land, Jiuxiang Scenic Area, etc.
According to different passengers, China offers different transit policy without visa for 72 hours or 24 hours permitted stay. By judging the main difference, you can choose either one easily.
72-hour visa free transit: only allowed for permitted airport entering China, suitable for passengers who have enough time and plan to travel China within transit period.
24-hour direct transit: Valid passport holders from any country can enjoy this policy by any way to enter China's territory (by air/train/ship). With 24 hours limited stay area in either port of entry, you may just wait for transit without any required documents needed to apply. This kind of direct transit is suitable for passengers who come from nearby country and have budget of time and money.
No matter which way to choose to transit in China, you are welcomed here to view the vast country with beautiful landscape and time-honored history.
Due to this policy only allowed for air transit, so before granting the transit permit, there are some notices to keep in mind for the interline air ticket booking, only for those passengers, who hold valid passports issued by the 51 countries.
1. With the stay area limit, if you book the interline air-ticket like “San Francisco-Shanghai-Beijing-Canada” is not granted for transit rules, even you are plan to stay in both cities for 72 hours totally, as you can’t cross the city border. If you change the ticket and keep only one city for transit is allowed, such as “San Francisco-Beijing-Canada”.
2. According to the policy requires for a foreign national passing through China city for a third country or region. Therefore this measure does not apply to a passenger traveling back and forth different areas of same country. If your tickets printed like “New York, USA-Beijing-Los Angeles, USA” are not acceptable.
3. Following the” same airport in and out” limit rule, you should carefully book your ticket and not just measured by within 72 hours, but also keep eyes on whether the airline you chose have other stops cities in China.
If you choose Chongqing as your transit city, you should notice that the airline sometimes will stop in Shanghai Pudong Airport or Beijing Capital Airport before landing in Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport, in that way, your transit city chances to Shanghai or Beijing. If that situation happens, your latter itinerary will be ruined and you have to leave the Shanghai/Beijing international airport within 24 hours.
This situation may occur in other transit cities. Therefore, you should make sure the international airline you booked is nonstop preferably.
Top 3 tours chosen by most customers to explore China in the best way. Check the detailed itinerary, or tailor your own trip now with us.
Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangshuo / Guilin / Chongqing / Yangtze Cruise / Yichang / Shanghai
Beijing / Xian / Guilin / Yangshuo / Shanghai
Beijing / Xian / Chengdu / Guilin / Yangshuo / Longsheng / Shanghai